Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Shai Bolton

Votes: 17 6.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm definitely leaning toward us picking Voss as the direct Corbett replacement

He seems the standout

I reckon we are a decent chance to pass on our 2nd open spot
If our season goes poorly not having a MSD pick isn't ideal. They're basically mid-late National Draft picks for the first 4-6 selections (depending on the year). Getting those guys onto the rookie list is good list management even if it's fallen into your lap. After the first 4-6 selections it's no great loss though imo.

If our season goes poorly not having a MSD pick isn't ideal. They're basically mid-late National Draft picks for the first 4-6 selections (depending on the year). Getting those guys onto the rookie list is good list management even if it's fallen into your lap. After the first 4-6 selections it's no great loss though imo.
But when we are sitting on top of the ladder we won't have access to the early picks :)

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

But when we are sitting on top of the ladder we won't have access to the early picks :)

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
That’s the spirit, better to take Voss and McKenzie now, both been on AFL lists and provided immediate depth if required, we’ve got enough talented youngsters developing at peel.

That’s the spirit, better to take Voss and McKenzie now, both been on AFL lists and provided immediate depth if required, we’ve got enough talented youngsters developing at peel.
Mckenzie is reportedly in the rehab group

If he doesn't get out of it by next week then we shouldn't touch him tbh

You’re prob right, although this late call-up for McKenzie makes things interesting. Depends a lot on how they feel about McKenzie after his trial.

Gold Coast are waiting to have their trial (with McKenzie) and rumours are that they have been interested for sometime but needed to sort through their list management.

If we want him we will likely need to pull the trigger.

We then may also add one of the other trio. Max Beattie is a good fit but perhaps we will see how he goes back in the SANFL and he / SVR (as younger players) could be options for MSD.

What I’ve found interesting is this second position been made available by placing Kuek on LTI. Yet he is at training running laps and doing other skills and drills etc. It’s like we’ve made the decision to get a year of body conditioning into Kuek. To be honest he would unlikely have played in 2024 (a further year at Peel would be handy though).
Kuek had both his shoulders done as well as his knee

I've just realised that Port and Pies are my current least favourite teams. Genuinely hoping (internally) that Carlton finish above both. Maybe even West Coast but then I need to be realistic.

The power of a future 1st.

I say **** trying to win the premiership, lets just trade our whole team for everyone's F1 and deathride the whole league.

I've just realised that Port and Pies are my current least favourite teams. Genuinely hoping (internally) that Carlton finish above both. Maybe even West Coast but then I need to be realistic.

The power of a future 1st.

I say **** trying to win the premiership, lets just trade our whole team for everyone's F1 and deathride the whole league.
Hey at least it will make watching any Collingwood or Port Adelaide game more interesting this year.

Best 22
Ryan, Pearce, Aish
Clark, Cox, Walker
Sharp, Fyfe, Chapman
Walters, Treacy, Frederick
Switta, Amiss, Jackson
Darcy, Serong, Young
Brayshaw, Simpson, Sturt, Johnson
Next in line
JOM, Erasmus, Wagner, Hughes, Taberner

This highlights two things, we need a bit more forward class and we have pretty good depth, so if we bring anyone in they need to be in our top 10 players to really improve our side (or maybe someone like Willi Rioli who can fill a hole)

Is our midfield and backline good enough to be a top 4 side in 1 or 2 years? I think the answer is yes, but last year our midfield struggled.

Adding Zurhaar to our forward line would have to help us.

Best 22
Ryan, Pearce, Aish
Clark, Cox, Walker
Sharp, Fyfe, Chapman
Switta, Amiss, Jackson
Darcy, Serong, Young
Next in line

This highlights two things, we need a bit more forward class and we have pretty good depth, so if we bring anyone in they need to be in our top 10 players to really improve our side (or maybe someone like Willi Rioli who can fill a hole)

Is our midfield and backline good enough to be a top 4 side in 1 or 2 years? I think the answer is yes, but last year our midfield struggled.

agree on zurhaar

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best 22
Ryan, Pearce, Aish
Clark, Cox, Walker
Sharp, Fyfe, Chapman
Switta, Amiss, Jackson
Darcy, Serong, Young
Next in line

This is not a bad set up, I dont mind it. Normally I would like a spare defender on the bench, along with a spare forward and two mids but with Chappie on the wing, if a defender went down, Chappie could swing back and be replaced on the wing by say Johnson. Its a way of getting Simpson into the team.

This is not a bad set up, I dont mind it. Normally I would like a spare defender on the bench, along with a spare forward and two mids but with Chappie on the wing, if a defender went down, Chappie could swing back and be replaced on the wing by say Johnson. Its a way of getting Simpson into the team.
Chappy, Young can play back.

A few can play forward. It should increase our midfield rotations.

We have 3 first round this year + 1 next. Plus Saint's second.

List management wise, what would the likely outcome be if we actually held those picks (I know it is unlikely)?

With very few players getting to retirement age and with their potential replacements already listed, how would player development be impacted?

We have 3 first round this year + 1 next. Plus Saint's second.

List management wise, what would the likely outcome be if we actually held those picks (I know it is unlikely)?

With very few players getting to retirement age and with their potential replacements already listed, how would player development be impacted?

Firstly, as it currently stands it is unlikely that those first rounds are WA players because the talent pool is small and geared towards the backend of the draft this year, so you would most likely be working with high draft players from other states (probably Vic Country and Metro).

Secondly most of the top end talent (outside of the F/S and northern academy) seems likely to feature small 180-185cm sized midfielders or undersized key forward types. So most likely players competing for the same spots as Serong, Brayshaw, Young, Johnson, Erasmus, Fyfe or in a second position forward Simpson, O'Meara, Switkowski etc. So yes, those draftees will have displace players who theoretically will be coming into their prime, which is unlikely, or suffer a fate akin to someone like Erasmus, who will probably be in and out of the WAFL again in his third year, dependant on Fyfe or others getting an injury. Unlike Erasmus though, they might not even see any light at the end of tunnel.

I would argue the better solution is if we can't trade for a MacDonald or a rebounding defender is to trade most of those first rounders for picks in 2025; there will potentially be teams like Brisbane, Adelaide, maybe Carlton, GWS looking for those picks we currently hold and maybe willing to pay overs.

Of course on the flip side, if we have failed to make the finals, then there will be a lot of pressure to not keep trading away high picks for another time.

Last edited:
Unpopular opinion i know , but i would have Wagner in front of Walker at the moment.

Love his change of direction and drive from defence. Not elite defensively but neither is Walker.

Yeah tend to agree.

Walks can be a liability offensively while Wagner certainly offers something a little different.
Wagner would get shit kicked by a guy like Cameron though whereas Walks can hold his own.

Was Wagner playing Jordan Clark's role whole Clark was covering for Walker?

Maybe Wagner looks better than Clark but the coaches think Walker is better than Wagner at that role, as Clark alluded to in his interview.

Walker's comfortably the best defender of the 3.

I want all three in the team though.
Unfortunately Wagner is quite poor defensively compared to Clark and Walker.

If Chapman moves to the wing or Aish stays midfield I expect there to be a spot for all three, otherwise it's Walker and Clark for me.

Unfortunately Wagner is quite poor defensively compared to Clark and Walker.

If Chapman moves to the wing or Aish stays midfield I expect there to be a spot for all three, otherwise it's Walker and Clark for me.
Aish moving to the backline is going to make it harder for Wagner to get a game. Which is good for our team, having competition for spots, may not be ideal for Wagner though.

Unpopular opinion i know , but i would have Wagner in front of Walker at the moment.

Love his change of direction and drive from defence. Not elite defensively but neither is Walker.
This doesn't make any sense because they don't play the same position. You're comparing a small lock down defender with a rebounder.

Best 22
Ryan, Pearce, Aish
Clark, Cox, Walker
Sharp, Fyfe, Chapman
Switta, Amiss, Jackson
Darcy, Serong, Young
Next in line

To be conservative / longmuir-like…
  • replace simpson with jom
  • replace treacy with tabs
  • and possibly sturt with erasmus

And you have our R1 team I reckon!;)

Back