• Chad Warner

Votes: 178 66.4%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Shai Bolton

Votes: 17 6.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Have there been any rumours that he’s even interested in returning to WA, or is this all just us trying to find something to pass the time during preseason?
Just out of contract and a WC nuffy saying he's going Freo. Nothing of any kind of substance

Elite speed? I always thought he was fast enough but not someone I think of when I think of speed. Aggression, courage, one-touch is the kind of things I associated with him.

I do think this will all be irrelevant anyway and the only way he leaves is if the Tigers miraculously realise just where there list is at and they soft push him out

He tested well for endurance running at the combine, but not speed.

Pick 25 is a junk pick guys.
That’s out to about 38 on actual draft night.
It doesn’t sound like a lots going to change much next year with all these bids etc.
the actual real pick 25 on draft night will probably be collingwoods round 1 pick again if they reach another granny. Might start at pick 17, Something like that.

He's worked on that a ton though. So much that his maximum speed on the Telstra Tracker has been one of the highest at Richmond in recent times. Eg second top speed at the club in 2021. Speed kings: Telstra Tracker reveals your club's fastest player in 2021.
I always take those speed measurements with a grain of salt tbh, even though subject to bias I think the eye test is a much better indicator for speed in a game and most people can agree on who is truly fast. I think it's because the combination of acceleration and agility is a better indicator for "speedy players" in game.

Liam Baker looks to me like a role player, in the same way that Lachie Schultz is. Both perform well in B&Fs because they play a hard working role. I don't think Baker is such a better player over Schultz that they would be of equal value with Schultz contracted.

Given the market value of Schultz was a future pick #18 then I think a pick around #25 is adequate.

Alternatively, if Richmond is after Treacy then it changes things. It's early enough in the piece that if Richmond is expecting to lose Baker and wants to poach Treacy that they could think a direct swap is reasonable.

I'm hoping that becomes heavy weighted towards Fremantle if that eventuates.

Liam Baker looks to me like a role player, in the same way that Lachie Schultz is. Both perform well in B&Fs because they play a hard working role. I don't think Baker is such a better player over Schultz that they would be of equal value with Schultz contracted.

Given the market value of Schultz was a future pick #18 then I think a pick around #25 is adequate.

Alternatively, if Richmond is after Treacy then it changes things. It's early enough in the piece that if Richmond is expecting to lose Baker and wants to poach Treacy that they could think a direct swap is reasonable.

Whoa there, who said anything about trading a power forward we’ve just spent 4 years developing? Treacy is about to have a breakout season and you want to trade him to Richmond! If you want versatility, play Jackson in the Baker role and leave Amiss, Treacy and Tabs/McDonald forward.

Edit: if we do land McDonald, send Tabs to Tiger Land.

Hypothetically if (a very big if) Richmond were to chase Treacy and offered a direct swap for Baker right now we would be well in front on that trade.

But there can be no trade until after the end of this 2024 season and Baker will have less value as he would have less football left in him while Treacy could well have improved by quite a margin if Richmond were to persue that trade.

Fun to talk about but it will never happen.

Someone posted earlier that Baker fills a need.

I think he is an upgrade on some players, but nothing massive. And not a positiinal need.

I think our positiinal needs are fairly narrow; small forward and wing pretty much covers it. Baker brings big game experience just as Hamling did, and that it has a real value to an emerging team.

Is that worth the trade value, the salary cap and the reduced development opportunities to existing players?

This season I want games into Emmett, Simpson, Delean and Stanley as the players who may impact our small forward issues. I want Treacy and Sturt locked in.

I'm fine with our wing options, and like the height available. Open to adding McKenzie especially if he can mentor the position.

Someone posted earlier that Baker fills a need.

I think he is an upgrade on some players, but nothing massive. And not a positiinal need.

I think our positiinal needs are fairly narrow; small forward and wing pretty much covers it. Baker brings big game experience just as Hamling did, and that it has a real value to an emerging team.

Is that worth the trade value, the salary cap and the reduced development opportunities to existing players?

This season I want games into Emmett, Simpson, Delean and Stanley as the players who may impact our small forward issues. I want Treacy and Sturt locked in.

I'm fine with our wing options, and like the height available. Open to adding McKenzie especially if he can mentor the position.
Leaning towards wanting Voss and Beattie filling the remaining two spots on our list tbh. I've put them in order of my preference there too.

We have much bigger fish to catch than Liam Baker. Let's save our picks for those type of players shall we? I wouldn't choose him over any of our b22 defenders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many can we sign?

Sharp for mine seems a certainty at this stage. Does that leave 2 more spots?
Sharp is signed up on the opening day we could. He was our last rookie spot from upgrading Treacy and Banners.
We have 2 LTI spots (Corbett and Kuek) but may only fill one of them in the SSP and save the other for MSD. Or hope Kuek recovers in Time to play some football at the end of the year.

I think you have to take McKenzie personally if they are taking someone. He's proven genuine AFL quality if fit (which is less risk IMO than unproven talent) and I actually think we could use a bit of depth in the HBF role, particularly if they want to move Chapman up the ground to join Young

I think you have to take McKenzie personally if they are taking someone. He's proven genuine AFL quality if fit (which is less risk IMO than unproven talent) and I actually think we could a bit of depth in the HBF role, particularly if they want to move Chapman up the ground to join Young
I had a long conversation with my mate who is Saints mad. He thought in 2022 that Mackenzie was the best winger in the game and if we got him fit then its the steal of the century.

I just hate the 'if' part. We had poor Morobito then Bennell. Not sure i can take another if only he was fit player.

I had a long conversation with my mate who is Saints mad. He thought in 2022 that Mackenzie was the best winger in the game and if we got him fit then its the steal of the century.

I just hate the 'if' part. We had poor Morobito then Bennell. Not sure i can take another if only he was fit player.
Lol, some slight bias there but I agree with the sentiment haha

I think you have to take McKenzie personally if they are taking someone. He's proven genuine AFL quality if fit (which is less risk IMO than unproven talent) and I actually think we could use a bit of depth in the HBF role, particularly if they want to move Chapman up the ground to join Young

Don’t mind the idea of taking McKenzie either tbh. I just think Voss and Beattie align closer to the types of players the club should be trying to bring in. They’re younger and provide for positional needs far better imo.

Don’t mind the idea of taking McKenzie either tbh. I just think Voss and Beattie align closer to the types of players the club should be trying to bring in. They’re younger and provide for positional needs far better imo.

I agree about Voss. Unless someone at the club has found the magic elixir to keep Tabs fit, we have lost Kuek and Corbett and so he seems a no brainer as cover for a KPF injury.
Not so sure about Beattie, what's he got that we couldn't get out of giving Simpson or Delean a go?

I do have to keep in mind we’ll have effectively one depth KPF style player this year so you might be right on Voss. Probably agree with Feeder on Beattie, more so because I think we need an elite small more than just a small for the sake of it. Voss would provide structure if needed to be called upon at least

This is the reason i don't have any desire for him. That level of trade for Baker is fantasy, he's costing at least a first, with perhaps something going back our way.

Would rather keep our firsts for McDonald or just draft
Agree to disagree. 1st rounder for baker is fantasy.

Keep a first, get MacDonald. Baker is best 22 but a 24/25 2nd rounder.

Edit: and he’s out of contract this year is that right?

I agree about Voss. Unless someone at the club has found the magic elixir to keep Tabs fit, we have lost Kuek and Corbett and so he seems a no brainer as cover for a KPF injury.
Not so sure about Beattie, what's he got that we couldn't get out of giving Simpson or Delean a go?

Tbh I see Simpson as a midfielder that can kick a few goals, maybe start on the HFF. I do not see him as a genuine small forward. I thought a midfielder with speed and goal sense was a massive list need before the draft so was happy with the Simpson selection.

Delean I was happy with as well but thought you’d want at least two small forwards on the list through the draft. We’ve still only drafted one imo.

I’m still personally struggling to find a spot for Wagner in our best 22 and Hughes is no where near it. I know not many on here rate Hughes but if he’s no where near your best 22 you’ve got depth in his position.

Back