• Chad Warner

Votes: 178 66.4%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Shai Bolton

Votes: 17 6.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

This doesn't make any sense because they don't play the same position. You're comparing a small lock down defender with a rebounder.
You could reframe the question as “is the combination of walker (lockdown) and Clark (rebound) better than Clark (lockdown) and Wagner (rebound)”
Despite what Clark said in his press conference, I thought that second combination was working well at the end of last year as Clark (lockdown) gave us more drive out of defence than Walker does in the same role. The question is how does he handle the best small forwards in the lockdown aspect of the role.

To be conservative / longmuir-like…
  • replace simpson with jom
  • replace treacy with tabs
  • and possibly sturt with erasmus

And you have our R1 team I reckon!;)
Ha, I enjoyed your conservative thoughts. Your first two points (first one will happen, second possible but unlikely for round one) but in relation to point three, is selecting Erasmus over Sturt a conservative move? I don't think so.

Ha, I enjoyed your conservative thoughts. Your first two points (first one will happen, second possible but unlikely for round one) but in relation to point three, is selecting Erasmus over Sturt a conservative move? I don't think so.
I honestly think Taberner would be selected ahead of Treacy for round one if both were fully fit. You pick your best players for round one and it's obvious who's better at their best if we're honest with ourselves. Most of this board might want to pretend Treacy is better but so far the evidence doesn't stack up imo - a lot is relying on Treacy improving and/or writing off Taberner due to injuries.

Erasmus over Sturt is an interesting and would be more about balance of the team imo.

Firstly, as it currently stands it is unlikely that those first rounds are WA players because the talent pool is small and geared towards the backend of the draft this year, so you would most likely be working with high draft players from other states (probably Vic Country and Metro).

Secondly most of the top end talent (outside of the F/S and northern academy) seems likely to feature small 180-185cm sized midfielders or undersized key forward types. So most likely players competing for the same spots as Serong, Brayshaw, Young, Johnson, Erasmus, Fyfe or in a second position forward Simpson, O'Meara, Switkowski etc. So yes, those draftees will have displace players who theoretically will be coming into their prime, which is unlikely, or suffer a fate akin to someone like Erasmus, who will probably be in and out of the WAFL again in his third year, dependant on Fyfe or others getting an injury. Unlike Erasmus though, they might not even see any light at the end of tunnel.

I would argue the better solution is if we can't trade for a MacDonald or a rebounding defender is to trade most of those first rounders for picks in 2025; there will potentially be teams like Brisbane, Adelaide, maybe Carlton, GWS looking for those picks we currently hold and maybe willing to pay overs.

Of course on the flip side, if we have failed to make the finals, then there will be a lot of pressure to not keep trading away high picks for another time.
Definitely would put the list into log jam territory.

Erasmus a jack of all trades gives backup
And flexibility. Sturt (my preference btw) far less so. So conservatively… go for the backup.

For me, Sturt actually has a major role to play in our finals hopes / his performance will be the litmus test for our preseason and longmuir’s coaching.

If he emerges as a genuine medium tall - like he keeps hinting at - schultz’s goals more than covered.

(Yes i can hear the limb i am standing on creAking…;)

And flexibility. Sturt (my preference btw) far less so. So conservatively… go for the backup.

For me, Sturt actually has a major role to play in our finals hopes / his performance will be the litmus test for our preseason and longmuir’s coaching.

If he emerges as a genuine medium tall - like he keeps hinting at - schultz’s goals more than covered.

Im with you on Sturt - Im a huge fan - doesnt need a heap of ball to hurt, not unlike Jye. Watched him kick 3 goals from 50mtrs down at Rushton Park early in his time with us, and I havent shut up on him since - I want opposition supporters to dislike him as much as I dislike Gunstan when he was at Hawks (because he was so bloody good from so few opportunities -sigh)

if we're kicking to his leads, you know Sturt is good for a couple of goals a game. We need that when our only consistently dangerous goal kickers are Amiss, Walters, Tabs (when fit), and Freddie. Need to aim to kick 16+ a game and need to put the blokes on the field who give the best chance of making that happen. I'd put Sturt up forward every game day over a Ras or other non-natural goal kicker for that reason. I'm hoping Simpson eventually is added to that list. Kid likes the goals.

Im with you on Sturt - Im a huge fan - doesnt need a heap of ball to hurt, not unlike Jye. Watched him kick 3 goals from 50mtrs down at Rushton Park early in his time with us, and I havent shut up on him since - I want opposition supporters to dislike him as much as I dislike Gunstan when he was at Hawks (because he was so bloody good from so few opportunities -sigh)
sturt did finish off better than he started the year at least but still needs to work on staying involved throughout a game. an easy way for him to improve is upping his tackles, had 0 across the last 5 games

Love Sturt's goal kicking ability (kicking 50 is easy for him) and he would be a great option, but unless he gets into match sim from this week he will remain way behind the rest of the options sadly.

So Colin Young's new company has now set up in Melbourne and it looks like his client base has been split. The players that Young now manages (according to his new company's instagram page):

Darcy Cameron
Ash Johnson
Matt Guelfi
Michael Walters
Will Powell
Griffin Logue
Robert Hansen Jr
Nathan Broad
Kamdyn Macintosh
Brad Hill
Liam Henry
Joel Hamling
Rory Lobb
Jeremy McGovern
Jack Darling
Liam Ryan
Tyler Brockman
Callum Jamieson

I think this means that the only current Freo player still managed by Colin Young is Walters, and guys like Matt Johnson and Heath Chapman are no longer managed by him

So Colin Young's new company has now set up in Melbourne and it looks like his client base has been split. The players that Young now manages (according to his new company's instagram page):

Darcy Cameron
Ash Johnson
Matt Guelfi
Michael Walters
Will Powell
Griffin Logue
Robert Hansen Jr
Nathan Broad
Kamdyn Macintosh
Brad Hill
Liam Henry
Joel Hamling
Rory Lobb
Jeremy McGovern
Jack Darling
Liam Ryan
Tyler Brockman
Callum Jamieson

I think this means that the only current Freo player still managed by Colin Young is Walters, and guys like Matt Johnson and Heath Chapman are no longer managed by him

I hadn't heard about this new company but if they are managed by Andrew McDougall he would still have his tentacles in there and managing them by remote control.

I hadn't heard about this new company but if they are managed by Andrew McDougall he would still have his tentacles in there and managing them by remote control.

Maybe, but there is a bit of mystery about the split and why Colin Young has gone off. It's a completely different entity and a different client base, it would actually likely be a conflict of interest if Young was still involved with McDougall's clients

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Darcy Cameron
Ash Johnson
Matt Guelfi
Michael Walters
Will Powell
Griffin Logue
Robert Hansen Jr
Nathan Broad
Kamdyn Macintosh
Brad Hill
Liam Henry
Joel Hamling
Rory Lobb
Jeremy McGovern
Jack Darling
Liam Ryan
Tyler Brockman
Callum Jamieson

I remember saying that we couldn't just not draft Colin Young clients because he manages too many of the WA boys.

This may just change that opinion tbh.

Maybe, but there is a bit of mystery about the split and why Colin Young has gone off. It's a completely different entity and a different client base, it would actually likely be a conflict of interest if Young was still involved with McDougall's clients
Someone in the know must be across this but it sounds to me like he won his battles but lost the war.

Darcy Cameron
Ash Johnson
Matt Guelfi
Michael Walters
Will Powell
Griffin Logue
Robert Hansen Jr
Nathan Broad
Kamdyn Macintosh
Brad Hill
Liam Henry
Joel Hamling
Rory Lobb
Jeremy McGovern
Jack Darling
Liam Ryan
Tyler Brockman
Callum Jamieson

News like this is why we should be allowed to like a post more than once.

Dunno, maybe he's seen as too WA based and is missing out on the best Victorians.

Maybe it's another entity set up to target Victorian based clients while the existing company would continue be predominantly Western Australian clients.

Darcy Cameron
Ash Johnson
Matt Guelfi
Michael Walters
Will Powell
Griffin Logue
Robert Hansen Jr
Nathan Broad
Kamdyn Macintosh
Brad Hill
Liam Henry
Joel Hamling
Rory Lobb
Jeremy McGovern
Jack Darling
Liam Ryan
Tyler Brockman
Callum Jamieson

If that list is true, that’s the best news I have had for a long long time. I note that Collard is no longer listed as his client!

Colon Young is a parasite and would enjoy removing Johnson and Young from Freo. Thank God he's moved away and not retained them.

Back