Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The people who don't want Bolton just strike me as people who are too afraid to take risks and be ruthless, Bolton is likely to be a very good pickup, he's best 23 in any team in the league, a top 5 small forward in the league.

You get a player like that by any means necessary.

One of the biggest blemishes on Bolton's game is his ability to fluff easy shots on goals. His goal accuracy ratio is really atrocious for someone of his ability. Maybe it's him being so hypo and he'll settle that in the second half of his career, but the sorts of misses he somehow pulls off can be so deflating.

Year -- Goal -- Bnd
2019 -- 15 -- 12
2020 -- 15 -- 11
2021 -- 23 -- 20
2022 -- 43 -- 41
2023 -- 31 -- 29
2024 -- 33 -- 25

Yes, it's the main weakness in his game, but 43.41 is still better than a sharpshooter who kicks less goals. Not to mention the chances he creates for others by stretching the defence. And if Bolton's 2024 conversion improvement stays, that would be 48.36 in 2022. Still not great, but Nick Daicos has kicked 46.34 in his career (I would argue also poor for his skill level), and kicking 40-50 goals is way better than anything else we could possibly find.

Papley has kicked 30.29 this year. Some much better years, but also other years of 32.26 and 26.27 which is comparable with Bolton. Without checking, I think the other elite small forwards would be much better at converting than Bolton and Papley, but not many star players are perfect.

At least with Bolton he will keep firing away. If his conversion made him scared to kick at goal (e.g. Fyfe), that would be a bigger issue.

Last edited:
One of the biggest blemishes on Bolton's game is his ability to fluff easy shots on goals. His goal accuracy ratio is really atrocious for someone of his ability. Maybe it's him being so hypo and he'll settle that in the second half of his career, but the sorts of misses he somehow pulls off can be so deflating.

Year -- Goal -- Bnd
2019 -- 15 -- 12
2020 -- 15 -- 11
2021 -- 23 -- 20
2022 -- 43 -- 41
2023 -- 31 -- 29
2024 -- 33 -- 25
You know what is more deflating? Our small forwards having snaps from 30 metres out and not making the distance.

The people who don't want Bolton just strike me as people who are too afraid to take risks and be ruthless, Bolton is likely to be a very good pickup, he's best 23 in any team in the league, a top 5 small forward in the league.

I don’t know about that but getting good value is always a good idea

People who are desperate for Bolton seem to totally discount the value of potentially bringing in 3 guns to an already strong team

Pull that off and we could have 10 years of shots at the title

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes, it's the main weakness in his game, but 43.41 is still better than a sharpshooter who kicks less goals. Not to mention the chances he creates for others by stretching the defence. And if Bolton's 2024 conversion improvement stays, that would be 48.36 in 2022. Still not great, but Nick Daicos has kicked 46.34 in his career (I would argue also poor for his skill level), and kicking 40-50 goals is way better than anything else we could possibly find.

Papley has kicked 30.29 this year. Some much better years, but also other years of 32.26 and 26.27 which is comparable with Bolton. Without checking, I think the other elite small forwards would be much better at converting than Bolton and Papley, but not many star players are not perfect.

At least with Bolton he will keep firing away. If his conversion made him scared to kick at goal (e.g. Fyfe), that would be a bigger issue.

Watched Bolton yesterday. He was pretty bad, but there was one play that still ended poorly where I said to myself we just have no one like that.

The ball was kicked in deep. He was initially front of contest, but read (or gambled) that the ball would fall out the back. He sprinted onto it. Kept it in. Then started to come inboards. Feigned past one. He did then snap into the oncoming second player BUT that’s just not even an opportunity for 80% of the smalls in the league, they’re simply not even getting to the ball before it goes out of bounds.

Could he have looked inside? Should he give it off? Possibly, but he created a shot off nothing.

We don’t have that. We’ve no one close to giving us that.

Agree and disagree.

I’m 100% on get the get Bolton train but the club still has its responsibility to get the best price possible for him even if they have no intention of walking away.

I’d love to use a first rounder or two at the draft and still get Bolton because we didn’t just completely bend over. It’s more than possible IMO.

People who are desperate for Bolton seem to totally discount the value of potentially bringing in 3 guns to an already strong team

The club already thinks we have that bar a couple of small forwards and a quality wing. We can get Bolton hybrid small forward mid and recruit the other two this draft.

Year -- Goal -- Bnd
2019 -- 15 -- 12
2020 -- 15 -- 11
2021 -- 23 -- 20
2022 -- 43 -- 41
2023 -- 31 -- 29
2024 -- 33 -- 25
His kicking on goal is going to drive a lot of people spare. Like just watching highlights and it's amazing it goes through the goals at all the way he tries to kick it half the time haha. Part of the package though

Agree and disagree.

I’m 100% on get the get Bolton train but the club still has its responsibility to get the best price possible for him even if they have no intention of walking away.

I’d love to use a first rounder or two at the draft and still get Bolton because we didn’t just completely bend over. It’s more than possible IMO.
I'm confident we take a first to the draft if we don't get Baker and I think we still find a way to do it if we do get him.

His kicking on goal is going to drive a lot of people spare. Like just watching highlights and it's amazing it goes through the goals at all the way he tries to kick it half the time haha. Part of the package though
One of the reasons he kicks points is because he's actually spent a lot of time playing midfield rather than close to goal which has resulted in a lot of long shots on the run. He's actually a very good set shot for goal. For what its worth Im quoting my Richmond obsessed cousin who knows way more about Richmond than I do. He says that at times in recent years Boltons played more time midfield than forward which is why he averaged roughly 3.7 clearances a game over the last 3 seasons which is roughly 1 clearance a game less than an elite clearance player iike Brayshaw.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m ne downside of a Saints win today is the second will slide back two spots.

If they lose, we’ll have 23…if not, 25

So ideally for the death ride, Giants win and Carlton win

I'll happily pay a two pick downgrade for the lolz of Carlton missing the finals.

One of the reasons he kicks points is because he's actually spent a lot of time playing midfield rather than close to goal which has resulted in a lot of long shots on the run. He's actually a very good set shot for goal. For what its worth Im quoting my Richmond obsessed cousin who knows way more about Richmond than I do. He says that at times in recent years Boltons played more time midfield than forward which is why he averaged roughly 3.7 clearances a game over the last 3 seasons which is roughly 1 clearance a game less than an elite clearance player iike Brayshaw.
Ya cousin is full nuff, he is not a good set shot in any sense of the word

Geez for a mod you post derogatory crap while having no idea what you're talking about on a consistent basis. Yeah Bolton takes a lot of shots from pocket particularly when midfiled and that effects hos goals to points ratio. Im pretty sure a life long Richmond supporter has more knowledge than you on this one. I'll be be making a complaint against your modding. Do better.

He's not a mod

And Snuff is correct about his set shots

Geez for a mod you post derogatory crap while having no idea what you're talking about on a consistent basis. Yeah Bolton takes a lot of shots from pocket particularly when midfiled and that effects hos goals to points ratio. Im pretty sure a life long Richmond supporter has more knowledge than you on this one. I'll be be making a complaint against your modding. Do better.
He’s not a mod anymore mate and hasn’t been for a while.
Go and have a look at the shots taken statistics.

He's not a mod

And Snuff is correct about his set shots
I'll agree to disagree with you on this one. What I'm talking about is set shots infrot of goals not snaps and shots on the run. According to my cousin he takes a lot oh shots from deep in the pockets and when on the run being chased by an opposing player. But set shots in good positions he says he's very good.

Last edited:

He’s not a mod.

Toughen up

This Bolton thing is tearing us apart!
James Dean Breaking Up GIF by The Room

Yep. I'd love to see the list modelling on what we might look like if we went to the draft.

I suspect in a perfect world there'd be an argument that just maxxing talent with our age profile extends the timeline to remain a top 4 squad, opens up future list management moves, giving us best chance to win a premiership.

You know what is more deflating? Our small forwards having snaps from 30 metres out and not making the distance.
Really? How so? I mean Bolton can do that too, but a miss turns it over, if it lands short at least it is a chance at a stoppage or a lucky mark. And then we've got the double of misses and fizzers.

Yeah "part of the package" is what I figure. But kicking the tyres is a thing you do when we're negotiating a price.

So…we’re guaranteed pick 9, barring Carlton losing by 200 to the Saints.

If we lose, it’s 9 and 10.

Good hand to have plus Port pick which will be at worst 15 I reckon.

I’m ne downside of a Saints win today is the second will slide back two spots.

If they lose, we’ll have 23…if not, 25

So ideally for the death ride, Giants win and Carlton win
Your forgetting about the two north compo picks 19 &20 held by Sydney and GC, saints second is currently 25 and could drop to 27 if they win today, after FA (battle) FS (Ashcroft) and Academy (Lombard) it’s already 28 or 30, without knowing whatever other academy bids come before then.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back