Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

3 firsts is overs, Jeremy Cameron is the relevant trade here.
Better player, but GWS didn't get three firsts

Fremantle Dockers CEO Simon Garlick promises aggressive approach to trade table to secure more elite talent

Craig O'Donoghue
The West Australian
Mon, 26 August 2024

Fremantle chief executive Simon Garlick has promised to be as aggressive as possible at the trade table to secure more elite talent, saying his team’s poor finish to the season showed they need to add more class to the list.
The Dockers slid from third on the ladder in round 20 to 10th just four weeks later after failing to win another game.
Coach Justin Longmuir said the 20-point defeat form Port Adelaide on Sunday summed up their season as the players fumbled under pressure, missed shots at goal or gave away free kicks at crucial times.
Fremantle have three first round picks this season and have been heavily linked to Shai Bolton, Liam Baker and Chad Warner.
Garlick said the club had a clear plan for how to take the next step.
“We won’t hesitate in doing whatever we need to improve our list and our ability to close out games,” Garlick told The West Australian.
“Clearly, we have some opportunities with a strong draft hand, and how that eventuates will obviously be clear in in time.
“We’ve put together a list that we think has the foundations to challenge for premiership, and there absolutely needs to be improvement in that. We won’t be backwards in exploring every option we’ve got.

“We’ll certainly be going hard at the targets we think are appropriate. But we won’t be doing it at all costs.
“We’ve got to make sure that if you do have the opportunity to bring experienced talent into your club, it’s got to be at the right price. It can’t be at the complete expense of culture.
“There’s numerous considerations we’re going to make, but we certainly won’t be shy in ensuring we give ourselves the best opportunity to continue to grow and improve.”
The Dockers have had a stable defence for several years led by captain Alex Pearce and All-Australian backman Luke Ryan. The midfield’s power was on show all season with Caleb Serong, Andrew Brayshaw and Hayden Young constantly winning the ball.
Fremantle showed an improved ability to score this season with key forward Josh Treacy making huge improvements, but the team still ranked 10th in attack at the end of the home and away season.

“It’s just not being able to finish and execute and capitalize on the opportunities that we provided,” Garlick said.
“We were a top four defence and an elite contested ball team and clearance team within the middle of the ground. So us being able to finish with class under pressure when the moment demands it, is something we need to continue to get better at.”
Garlick backed coach Justin Longmuir after the club extended his contract by 12 months before the season began.
Fremantle have made the finals just once since Longmuir and Garlick joined the club in 2020 and the Dockers have fallen short of an ambitious Strategic Plan to have three top-four finishes and a premiership by the end of next season.
The Dockers’ re-build began in 2016 and they’ve been overtaken by several clubs including Hawthorn this season. But Garlick said they were following their own plan.
“We’re certainly not shying away from putting ourselves on the hook to achieve our ultimate aim, and that is to win premierships. That’s what we’re here for. So we’re not looking to make excuses or rationalise why we haven’t hit that mark yet,” he said.

“We set this at the end of 2020, so judge us upon that timeframe and what we were looking to achieve then.
“We are as impatient as anyone. I know our members and fans quite rightfully are also. Whilst we want it to happen yesterday or a soon as humanly possible, we want to set ourselves up to have a sustained crack at contending for premierships.
“There’s precedents of clubs like Geelong and Sydney and a number of others who continually contend. So every decision we made has been made with a long term outlook.”
Thanks Mate

Bolton,baker,Warner for picks 9,10,17,27,63 it possible to work something out with these picks to get all 3 ?
I think we can cancel out Baker. WCE bound apparently.

On to the other two.

I would go- 9, 27 and Erasmus for Bolton.

10,17 and Brodie for Warner. Sydney wouldn’t mind Brodie and would back themselves to get footy out of him.

3 firsts is overs, Jeremy Cameron is the relevant trade here.
Better player, but GWS didn't get three firsts
It's not really relevant. Firstly, we have already surpassed that trade value with what we gave up for Jackson (who was uncontracted and a lesser player than Bolton currently), so Freo and Walls have set their own precedent. Secondly, GWS were not going to be paying any of Cameron's salary, which is a critical consideration that so many continue to ignore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not this year I don’t think
Don’t you think we need A grade talent in the fwd line and midfield? As in two players.

I remember adding both Bell and Farmer back in the day gave us automatic class in two parts of the ground. Those two players were big reasons we made two finals series in that era.

Love to add that again.

Don’t you think we need A grade talent in the fwd line and midfield? As in two players.

I remember adding both Bell and Farmer back in the day gave us automatic class in two parts of the ground. Those two players were big reasons we made two finals series in that era.

Love to add that again.

I do…I just don’t know that Warner will be available.

Bolton can move through the midfield. He’d actually make a good rotation with Serong.

17 and 21 would give us a shot at a decent player or two

I do…I just don’t know that Warner will be available.

Bolton can move through the midfield. He’d actually make a good rotation with Serong.

17 and 21 would give us a shot at a decent player or two
17 and 21 on established players?

So you’re content in ignoring the draft and just bolstering with ready made players!

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back