Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Accepted norths offer of 3,15&17 for pick 1? Landed Curtin, Hardeman and Collard.
Would have been crazy risky to do that.
Hardemann and collard were taken in a draft range where the average player doesn’t get to 100 games.
The odds would suggest that would be like swapping
Curtin
Nathan O’Driscoll
Darcy Tucker

For

Harley Reid.
That would have been too risky.

Accepted norths offer of 3,15&17 for pick 1? Landed Curtin, Hardeman and Collard.

There is only one year I would do it between 2016 and 2018, and McGrath was not raived about like Harley Reid was.

Sam Walsh
vs
Izak Rankine
Sam Sturt
Liam Stocker

Cameron Rayner
vs
Paddy Dow
Jack Higgins
Wil Powell

Andrew McGrath
vs
Hugh McCluggage
Jarrod Berry
Tim English

Would have been crazy risky to do that.
Hardemann and collard were taken in a draft range where the average player doesn’t get to 100 games.
The odds would suggest that would be like swapping
Curtin
Nathan O’Driscoll
Darcy Tucker

For

Harley Reid.
That would have been too risky.
Not if you think Curtin is going to be a gun, which they obviously do as they had this years first round pick (likely top 3) on the table for him.
The other two are just a bonus then and Curtin doesn’t come with the risk of the go home factor that Reid does.

We're at the mercy of the type of players available around those picks which might not fall our way.

Possible, and may be why we head in the McDonald direction.

I've also got one eye on Tassie entering the competition.

Good KPF's are going to be like rocking horse shit.

I think I'd prefer McDonald on the list for two firsts this year, one more first and Saints second, plus a full suite of picks in 2025.

We should be able to fill most gaps with young players before Tassie comes in

Good KPF's are going to be like rocking horse s**t.

I think I'd prefer McDonald on the list for two firsts this year, one more first and Saints second, plus a full suite of picks in 2025.

I think that would be a reasonable outcome IF Treacy doesn't improve substantially this year.

If Treacy is a star this year then Tabs probably plays at the Pies in 2025 - or another club looking for a cheap tall forward. We land a second 2nd round pick in FA compensation.

If Tabs isnt at Freo in 2025 we will get close to zero in return.

Him not being here means, either:
1. Treacy has stepped up.
or
2. We poached MacDonald or JVR.

If Treacy is a star this year then Tabs probably plays at the Pies in 2025 - or another club looking for a cheap tall forward. We land a second 2nd round pick in FA compensation.
We might squeeze an end of second round compo pick or mid third round which would be about 40-45.
Then again - the Joel Hamling scenario should be a clear lesson to us all on what a player like Tabs is worth as a FA (very little).
We might not even get any compo if he left. Doubt anyone’s offering him more than 2 years unless he plays a lot of games in 2024.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We might squeeze an end of second round compo pick or mid third round which would be about 40-45.
Then again - the Joel Hamling scenario should be a clear lesson to us all on what a player like Tabs is worth as a FA (very little).
We might not even get any compo if he left. Doubt anyone’s offering him more than 2 years unless he plays a lot of games in 2024.
I like Taylor's reality more, tbh.

On review I think the pessimism is warranted. Hamling is three months older than Tabs and Matthew will be a year older than Joel if/when FA is delivered.
200w.gif

Good KPF's are going to be like rocking horse s**t.

I agree. If we were able to trade two first rounders to get McDonald in it would mean that we are set in the positions that are the hardest to fill for the long term bar in my view an x factor small forward. I'd say an x factor small forward would be the position we need to fill where there's not alot of players who can fill that role but we'd still have plenty of trade capital left to try and find a player in the draft that could fill that role even we traded the two first rounders for Macdonald.

The thing that will hurt more is missing out on Curtin at pick 8. WA guy, good talent to build around.
Could've traded up for Pick 8, given it was losing value the more Curtin slipped down.
Getting Reid AND Curtin would've been raving all pre season.

A third round pick is just about worthless nowadays anyway so it not a huge deal I don’t think
I don't think it's a useless selection tbh.

Thing is though a third rounder is basically the same as a fourth rounder due to lack of selections in the National Draft.

You can still find good players at those type of selections. Other thing to consider is clubs rate players differently at that point of the draft so having a draft pick 10 spots later won't hurt as much as it does earlier in the draft.

I don't think it's a useless selection tbh.

Thing is though a third rounder is basically the same as a fourth rounder due to lack of selections in the National Draft.

You can still find good players at those type of selections. Other thing to consider is clubs rate players differently at that point of the draft so having a draft pick 10 spots later won't hurt as much as it does earlier in the draft.

And third round picks are worth between 483 points and 220 points. Allowing bid matching from picks #28 to #41.

Granted earlier matched bids push them out prior to rushing back in as 2nd round picks are chewed up, but if we had 2x R3 picks at current position we would hold 756 points which funnily enough is the points value of our R2 pick, held by Richmond #25.

There's talent in that range and there's versatility to swap them out to clubs looking to sell their earlier picks for points

Liam Baker looks to me like a role player, in the same way that Lachie Schultz is. Both perform well in B&Fs because they play a hard working role. I don't think Baker is such a better player over Schultz that they would be of equal value with Schultz contracted.

Given the market value of Schultz was a future pick #18 then I think a pick around #25 is adequate.

Alternatively, if Richmond is after Treacy then it changes things. It's early enough in the piece that if Richmond is expecting to lose Baker and wants to poach Treacy that they could think a direct swap is reasonable.

I'm hoping that becomes heavy weighted towards Fremantle if that eventuates.

Attachments

• AndreGiant.gif
    AndreGiant.gif
    2.2 MB · Views: 42
Tabs will be the first ever player traded mid-season.
Him, Treacy and Amiss will all be in cracking form at the start of the year but we’ll struggle to fit them in.
Melbourne will trade a bucket load for him if they are even close to a sniff halfway through the season and still without a forward.
We’ll reluctantly agree (knowing McDonald is coming) and make out like bandits.
Tabs will then get injured and Melbourne will lose in straight sets.
Lock it in.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The thing that will hurt more is missing out on Curtin at pick 8. WA guy, good talent to build around.
Could've traded up for Pick 8, given it was losing value the more Curtin slipped down.
Getting Reid AND Curtin would've been raving all pre season.
Im with you on this - I was hoping Eagles wouldnt sell the farm somehow to get Curtin as well for same reason. Ive only seen him live three times but you can tell he is something really very special and perfect size. I was surprised he didnt go earlier but Im WA bias I guess having seen him live and not others

Tabs will be the first ever player traded mid-season.
Him, Treacy and Amiss will all be in cracking form at the start of the year but we’ll struggle to fit them in.
Melbourne will trade a bucket load for him if they are even close to a sniff halfway through the season and still without a forward.
We’ll reluctantly agree (knowing McDonald is coming) and make out like bandits.
Tabs will then get injured and Melbourne will lose in straight sets.
Lock it in.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Haven’t they ruled out mid year trades for this year at least? Otherwise good plan!😜

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back