• Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Occam was a place not a person.
This is not really correct. The person who supposedly came up with the razors' 'name' was William of Occam (Ockham). It's not like the term comes from the idea being one that was held in the Village of Ockham that then came to be accepted by everyone else. He'd long since left when he came up with it.

It'd be like ascribing the activities and achievements of Francis of Assisi to the town of Assisi.

Pedantry is much better than made up trades, I'm sure we all agree.

Jack Martin is exactly the type of guy you have a swing at when you are loading up for a finals push.

Supremely skilled, will be dirt cheap, have zero expectations. If he can get going at the right time he is the finisher. he isn't coming into grind 23 games out and lift the squad into finals.

They're losing battle who is a similar type to Ryan.
Starting price is NWM.

Then their first this year.

We'll settle for the F1 & the Battle compo

Jack Martin is exactly the type of guy you have a swing at when you are loading up for a finals push.

Supremely skilled, will be dirt cheap, have zero expectations. If he can get going at the right time he is the finisher. he isn't coming into grind 23 games out and lift the squad into finals.
Just needs to be available when Koz is suspended :p

I get your point but as yet I've heard nothing reliable that Freo are scrambling to work out the TPP. I'll leave that to Collingwood. I do know we saved a bucket load when Hogan and Lobb left.

You don't need to hear anything. Do the maths yourself. I've done it with conservative estimates for our top 10-15 players, and you quickly realise that there is not much left for the rest.

Another exercise is to scan the other good teams and count how many players you would put in the "will be paid highly bracket" going forward. There's only so many you can have at the top end without making the bottom end too weak.

We're trying to fit in Darcy-Cox-Jackson-Brayshaw-Serong-Young-Bolton-Warner. It would be more than any club at the high end. Throw in Treacy who could command 800k+ easily on the open market. Let alone Pickett.

A retiring player can reach agreement to be paid out less up front, but most clubs tend to move them to the rookie list to have $85k or so knocked off the TPP for that following season.
This is a bit of a false economy. It's hard to say for sure given that rookie status isn't advertised anymore, but Freo have been running with the max number of rookies for a few years now. I imagine there are more than a couple of clubs that run the same — precisely because they are maximising the salary cap by maximising the number of non-TPP amounts allocated to rookies.

In any case, as pertains to Walters, which was the context of this comment, there's no extra $85k suddenly knocked off the TPP by placing Walters him on the rookie list, because he would be taking that spot at the expense of an existing rookie (unless we run with one less player, which is unlikely given the contracts and the lack of free list spots).

You don't need to hear anything. Do the maths yourself. I've done it with conservative estimates for our top 10-15 players, and you quickly realise that there is not much left for the rest.

Another exercise is to scan the other good teams and count how many players you would put in the "will be paid highly bracket" going forward. There's only so many you can have at the top end without making the bottom end too weak.

We're trying to fit in Darcy-Cox-Jackson-Brayshaw-Serong-Young-Bolton-Warner. It would be more than any club at the high end. Throw in Treacy who could command 800k+ easily on the open market. Let alone Pickett.

17.7 Million salary cap
-- I wonder how much these guys are using up, if they were reported at 800k when they signed, and the salary cap has gone up 20+%, does that mean they are now around 1 million (rough math's only)

Assuming the figures below are roughly correct, then these 15 players use 9.3 million of the salary cap, which is why we have plenty of space.

If you add Bolton at full salary, it is over 10.3 which is still more than enough salary to pay the rest.
400k per player. I must be under estimating how much some of players are getting paid, maybe they all got a pay rise when the salary cap went up and some are pushing 1 million.

Darcy
800​
Jackson
800​
Brayshaw
800​
Serong
800​
Young
800​
Treacy
800​
Pearce
600​
Cox
600​
Ryan
600​
Amiss
500​
Clark
500​
Chapman
500​
Omeara
400​
Fyfe
400​
Walters
400​

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alot of talk on here about Richmond paying a chunk of salary for Bolton as part of the deal. My question is does that payment still make up a component of our salary cap or Richmonds? I'm assuming it would be the Tigers otherwise it has little benefit to us. I'm struggling to understand how this works as hypothetically we could send the Tiges four first rounders for Bolton if they agree to pay his salary for the next 3 years and we would then be gaining an A grader with no impact to our TPP for that time? Technically we could be over the allowable TPP by $1.2m per year for our list without repercussion - Or do I have the wrong end of the stick here?

Martin ticks all the boxes if Carlton gave permission to head over

Would Martin want to be doing a medical while he is still recovering from a hamstring strain? Would Freo? I can see pros and cons from a club perspective, but not sure about the player. I would have thought he'd want to present at full fitness to enhance his chances.

17.7 Million salary cap
-- I wonder how much these guys are using up, if they were reported at 800k when they signed, and the salary cap has gone up 20+%, does that mean they are now around 1 million (rough math's only)

Assuming the figures below are roughly correct, then these 15 players use 9.3 million of the salary cap, which is why we have plenty of space.

If you add Bolton at full salary, it is over 10.3 which is still more than enough salary to pay the rest.
400k per player. I must be under estimating how much some of players are getting paid, maybe they all got a pay rise when the salary cap went up and some are pushing 1 million.

Darcy
800​
Jackson
800​
Brayshaw
800​
Serong
800​
Young
800​
Treacy
800​
Pearce
600​
Cox
600​
Ryan
600​
Amiss
500​
Clark
500​
Chapman
500​
Omeara
400​
Fyfe
400​
Walters
400​
I would be very surprised if Pearce, our captain and most important backline player, is on 600k. He's going to be up around 800, when you add likely 10% here or there on everyone else it gets out of control very quickly

Alot of talk on here about Richmond paying a chunk of salary for Bolton as part of the deal. My question is does that payment still make up a component of our salary cap or Richmonds? I'm assuming it would be the Tigers otherwise it has little benefit to us. I'm struggling to understand how this works as hypothetically we could send the Tiges four first rounders for Bolton if they agree to pay his salary for the next 3 years and we would then be gaining an A grader with no impact to our TPP for that time? Technically we could be over the allowable TPP by $1.2m per year for our list without repercussion - Or do I have the wrong end of the stick here?

You've got it. Richmond have his salary on their TPP spreadsheet but he plays for us

Would Martin want to be doing a medical while he is still recovering from a hamstring strain? Would Freo? I can see pros and cons from a club perspective, but not sure about the player. I would have thought he'd want to present at full fitness to enhance his chances.
I'm not sure how medical's work to be honest. What and how do they test?

I would be very surprised if Pearce, our captain and most important backline player, is on 600k. He's going to be up around 800, when you add likely 10% here or there on everyone else it gets out of control very quickly

The offer for Logue when he left was twice what Alex Pearce was signed to.

I think someone mentioned it but how funny is the difference in discourse in the media surrounding Pickett and Houston

Houston can explicitly say "I'm not going anywhere" and the trade is still on but Pickett and his management are silent and that trade is dead in the water

I think someone mentioned it but how funny is the difference in discourse in the media surrounding Pickett and Houston

Houston can explicitly say "I'm not going anywhere" and the trade is still on but Pickett and his management are silent and that trade is dead in the water
On Gettable it got said that he isn't going anywhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back