List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

What is the maximum (walk away point) you would pay for Bolton.

• 9 OR 10

Votes: 13 7.5%
  • 9 & 25

Votes: 33 19.0%
  • 9 & 17

Votes: 85 48.9%
  • 9 & F1

Votes: 18 10.3%
  • 9 & 10

Votes: 22 12.6%
  • 9, 10 & 17

Votes: 3 1.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why didn’t we try and get some game time into Wagner (also Walker). I know they anre underdone a little but Wagner/Walker would have been better than a few others (ie Hughes/Worner). Wagner in particular was critical to our improvement late last year. At least incl. him in the 26 for a run around sometime in the 3rd as replacement for Worner.

Sturt and JOM played horrible games. Getting Erasmus on earlier and seeing how he goes at half forward would have been worthwhile.

Why didn’t we try and get some game time into Wagner (also Walker). I know they anre underdone a little but Wagner/Walker would have been better than a few others (ie Hughes/Worner). Wagner in particular was critical to our improvement late last year. At least incl. him in the 26 for a run around sometime in the 3rd as replacement for Worner.

Sturt and JOM played horrible games. Getting Erasmus on earlier and seeing how he goes at half forward would have been worthwhile.

Actually was thinking the spot taken by Erasmus and/or Draper should gone to Wagner and/or Walker if we were going to play them so little minutes. They could’ve played the first half and then been subbed out for the guys that actually played.

I’d take McDonald and then look for and line breaking midfielders and an elite small forward

We have 3 firsts and and a 2nd.

Logan takes 2 firsts surely. I would rather use all 4 pucks on line breaking mids and small forwards, and add Zurhaar.

Unless we can get the ball from defence to attack, Logan won't make a Difference.

Logan takes 2 firsts surely. I would rather use all 4 pucks on line breaking mids and small forwards, and add Zurhaar.

Unless we can get the ball from defence to attack, Logan won't make a Difference.

You need strong targets to kick to. Logan is on par with Amiss and we know how much better the team is with Amiss in it.

We use two firsts on Logan and get Zurhar as a free agent.

Freo will still have a first from this year and next to go to drsft or try lure an outside mid with elite pace and precise kicking with the other two firsts and then our rebuild will be almost complete

You need strong targets to kick to. Logan is on par with Amiss and we know how much better the team is with Amiss in it.

We use two firsts on Logan and get Zurhar as a free agent.

Freo will still have a first from this year and next to go to drsft or try lure an outside mid with elite pace and precise kicking with the other two firsts and then our rebuild will be almost complete

I believe our transition needs to be fixed, and is hard to fix. I think this us our biggest problem at the moment.

We don't have small forwards of quality. We have too many needs to fill a want.

We have 4 firsts (3 this year and one next) and a second to use. McDonald takes two firsts

Our list is young enough. Take McDonald.
If Zurhaar is interested take him as an FA and punt Sturt or Treacy or both.

Then use the other two firsts (this year’s that is left) and trade next years into this year and take the best small forward and best one breaking midfielder we can get our hands on.

We need players now and we need to consolidate this list

We have 4 firsts (3 this year and one next) and a second to use. McDonald takes two firsts

Then use the other two firsts (this year’s that is left) and trade next years into this year and take the best small forward and best one breaking midfielder we can get our hands on.

Yeah before last night I would have said no to McDonald and instead go to the draft. I was that big of a fan of Treacy and Sturt.

But if they play this season the way they played last night then I am all in on the trade.

That being said, I'm not losing my mind just yet after 1 preseason game and a match sim against a bunch of witches hats.

I won't commit to a decision until after a few rounds of the regular season.

The firsts tied to Port and Pies are looking likely to be in the 20's with another highly compromised draft. They aren't going to be as valuable as people might be thinking, unless one or both of those clubs implodes.

And remember this is Freo. We get no discount for uncontracted players. We get no discount for a supposed PSD threat from WC. We will be paying more for McDonald than people are suggesting.

I understand what you are saying, I guess the question is which one helps more, McDonald or another small forward and line breaking mid ?

I expect we will finish bottom 8 again, so we are talking pick 6-8 and pick 20 for McDonald. (Pick 8 may be enough, if his form does not improve this year)

I don't see a lot of quick forwards in the mock draft, it is mind blowing we did not trade a future first for Collard.

I understand what you are saying, I guess the question is which one helps more, McDonald or another small forward and line breaking mid ?

I expect we will finish bottom 8 again, so we are talking pick 6-8 and pick 20 for McDonald. (Pick 8 may be enough, if his form does not improve this year)

I don't see a lot of quick forwards in the mock draft, it is mind blowing we did not trade a future first for Collard.

I think our list management team would be laughing the whole flight back to Perth after trade period if we got McDonald for Picks 8 and 20 tbh.

That’s only happening if he plays poorly for the first month then gets a season ending injury. He’s too good to play poorly for a whole season.

I think we’ve got to look at our list over the season to find a line breaking mid tbh. Young wasn’t a midfielder until he was. I think Simpson will be dangerous playing forward but he’s more a midfielder tbh - him playing some games this season would be a good start.

Tbh I think we need use a few later picks on small/medium forwards too. The guys in our best 22 aren’t too bad but we’ve got to replace Walters (realistically that’s a first round pick). The depth players we’ve got aren’t good enough. We might not get the best smalls this way but if we find some guys that can at least put on pressure at least mean that 2-3 injuries in the forward doesn’t look like yesterday.

I agree with Lach that we need this talent on our list ASAP. Darcy and Cox were free agents this year - time is running out to contend with Pearce, Ryan and Aish in their prime. We’re young but we’ll having the same discussion about our defence in 4-5 years - I’d rather do that whilst we’re contending.

Last edited:
It is just a preseason but Sturt is starting to concern me. How we have failed to prioritise forwards in the draft is absurd. Idk if it's Walzy or the club but it's quite arrogant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some point I might go back to 2016 and try to understand how I feel like we’ve drafted really well but somehow came out of the rebuild with only Jackson and Amiss who I would consider potential top 10 players. Port just smashed it with Rozee and Butters and they got lucky with JHF like we did with Jackson.

That 2018 draft / trade will go down in infamy for us

It is just a preseason but Sturt is starting to concern me. How we have failed to prioritise forwards in the draft is absurd. Idk if it's Walzy or the club but it's quite arrogant.
I’ve been a “buyer of Sturt stock” since we drafted him and especially after his debut against the bombers. I even have a running bet with my cousin (whether he makes 50 games). I am losing faith fast though. There is a player there but the footy nous might never come. A few weeks ago in some interview or another he mentioned the coaches telling him to use his pace more and he basically said “he hadn’t really thought of himself as someone with pace”. I’m pretty sure he run a 2.92 20 metre sprint as the draft trials, so how do you not know you have pace??

Some point I might go back to 2016 and try to understand how I feel like we’ve drafted really well but somehow came out of the rebuild with only Jackson and Amiss who I would consider potential top 10 players. Port just smashed it with Rozee and Butters and they got lucky with JHF like we did with Jackson.

Don't get me started :p

Matera, Lobb, Hogan, Wilson, Kersten, Hamling were all great recruits for a rebuilding team.

In reality our drafting has been good, but we wasted 2 top 10 picks, 2 2nds, 2 3rds (2 years draft capital) for nothing in return (not on our current list any way)

Last edited:
I’ve been a “buyer of Sturt stock” since we drafted him and especially after his debut against the bombers. I even have a running bet with my cousin (whether he makes 50 games). I am losing faith fast though. There is a player there but the footy nous might never come. A few weeks ago in some interview or another he mentioned the coaches telling him to use his pace more and he basically said “he hadn’t really thought of himself as someone with pace”. I’m pretty sure he run a 2.92 20 metre sprint as the draft trials, so how do you not know you have pace??
All the talk that year was Hill, but we
are too clever for that move.

If we want Zurhaar it would be wise to get the McDonald trade done really early so we don't have heaps of picks to trade making a matched bid worthwhile.

If their compensation pick is #19 then they'll eye off our top fifteen picks.

Funnily enough, if Sydney end up holding them for McDonald the Roos might end up with them for Zurhaar, but only if JUH doesn't end up at the Swans.

Last edited:

That 2018 trade period actually netted a swag of quality players that contributed since (maybe just not for us and/or long term).

2016 was much worse.

But win some/lose some is what you need to apply to trades.

How we develop and utilise our talent is something we can look at and have some real control over and mitigate the arrivals that don't turn out.

Not just forwards, but quick line breaking mids as well.

It is concerning
Forwards I can cop, albeit Schultz decision and Henry development exposed us a bit there.

But how do you prioritise quick line breaking mids? A contested player that has genuine burst pace and can kick it is somewhat rare, and they dont tend to get left on the shelf on draft night?

That 2018 trade period actually netted a swag of quality players that contributed since (maybe just not for us and/or long term).

2016 was much worse.

How we develop and utilise our talent is something we can look at and have some real control over and mitigate the arrivals that don't turn out.
2016 got Cox, Darcy and Ryan

3 key pillars of our rebuild

Everyone we got in 2018 left except for Sturt + we lost Neale in that same off season, 2018 has turned into a disaster, even if Sturt finds form, we still only get 1 player out of it

2016 was much worse.

You’ll have to explain this one to me, 2018 we have missed out on a very good chance to get one or two elite young players and instead currently have Sturt…

2016 we have picked up 3 200 game players. I must be not understanding what you are trying to say

Don't get me started :p

Matera, Lobb, Hogan, Wilson, Kersten, Hamling were all great recruits for a rebuilding team.

In reality our drafting has been good, but we wasted 2 top 10 picks, 2 2nds, 2 3rds (2 years draft capital) for nothing in return
I’ll never agree with you on the fully draft approach. Every team recruits during a rebuild and the picks on Wilson, Hamling and Matera were fine. Kersten was a spud but the pick is meaningless. The high end picks were the problem (never use high end picks on anything but the draft when rebuilding), we just refused to believe we needed a rebuild

2016 got Cox, Darcy and Ryan

3 key pillars of our rebuild

Everyone we got in 2018 left except for Sturt + we lost Neale in that same off season, 2018 has turned into a disaster, even if Sturt finds form, we still only get 1 player out of it
That's draft, not trades. Trade was specified and central to my point.

Sure the draft haul is good, but from a trade perspective it's mopping up after McCarthy & Kersten (even Hamling to some extent).

How we develop and keep who's here has proved to be an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back