• Chad Warner

Votes: 168 68.0%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 13 5.3%
  • Shai Bolton

Votes: 9 3.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Guarantee you someone takes it on, just like Port and Pies took it on last year. Plenty of clubs will be bullish and most will be wrong. Port took it on for Esava and Soldo. If that's not an indication of the risk appetite I don't know what is.

Snuffaluphagus is right, if we take 3 first rounders the odds are at least 2 are stuck at Peel and 1 or more request a trade for opportunity in a couple of years. Especially if they are Vics and have multiple offers.

I wouldn't take more than 3 top 30 picks this year and realistically, I think 2 is probably better.

The bombers are cocky, and I will take that on.

Trade 1 for a future pick, Berry, Kako plus who ever slips and then get Winder late.

I think Berry and Kako would be very close to best 22 next year.

I had been a fan of pushing a pick forward but don't see the point if they bring in multi year trades like they say they will

We won't need to push anything forward, unless something pops up with saints 2nd and our f2 for an f1 again

I had been a fan of pushing a pick forward but don't see the point if they bring in multi year trades like they say they will

We won't need to push anything forward, unless something pops up with saints 2nd and our f2 for an f1 again
There's just not many spots available atm. A sonny replacement and a proper winger is about it.

Even if we draft someone talented, they still might be inferior at the role to the incumbent in the short term. If you pick 3 top 20 players, they are going to get tapped up if stuck at Peel.

We should get overs for a late first rounder. A future first plus a 2nd or something to use this year. 16 for F1 + 35 or something. Can't really lose in that situation and might mean not using future picks if Chad is on.

Other option is to trade up if we have a target. Not sure if there is a forward likely to go top 10, but I'd be all for doing that.

There's just not many spots available atm. A sonny replacement and a proper winger is about it.

Even if we draft someone talented, they still might be inferior at the role to the incumbent in the short term. If you pick 3 top 20 players, they are going to get tapped up if stuck at Peel.

We should get overs for a late first rounder. A future first plus a 2nd or something to use this year. 16 for F1 + 35 or something. Can't really lose in that situation and might mean not using future picks if Chad is on.

Other option is to trade up if we have a target. Not sure if there is a forward likely to go top 10, but I'd be all for doing that.

Two small forwards, a few people in the forward line gets pushed to the wing and we are fine.

Kako, Berry and Moraes would compliment our side so well.

Happy to trade 1 out, but those 3 would be perfect.

I wouldn’t mind adding adding another HBF to the list, especially if Hughes is delisted, tbh.

Aish is 30 next year, Wagner is 29 and Ryan is 28. We’ll need re-enforcements there much quicker than people think.

It just feels a bit like we could get lured into a Tim Kelly move where the only winner was Geelong. Now WCEs are left with Kelly and...
WC overpaid for Kelly, but the real issue was the miscalculation about where their list demographic was sitting. We are in a very different situation.

Two small forwards, a few people in the forward line gets pushed to the wing and we are fine.

Kako, Berry and Moraes would compliment our side so well.

Happy to trade 1 out, but those 3 would be perfect.
Moraes is a midfielder isn't he?

Position needs for me go: small forward, outside mid, HBF. All with good disposal or some kind of point of difference. We are seemingly mostly in agreement on this board.

The HBF idea is interesting. Aish, Wagner and Hughes were named as needing replacement by Docker82 but I'm not overly concerned. Aish is really the only one who has been a regular player for us.

I'm more interested in the potential to release Chapman to the wing/midfield (maybe Draper can achieve this?). I have also liked the recent move to rotate mids forward more.

Last edited:
I have made it clear that I like Berry or/and Kako with our first rounders; they are around the range and I think they would fit with what the club is likely to look at, and what would be benefital for the list; whilst I think they are both most likely small forwards at the next level, they also are players that have the endurance to move up the ground and provide burst speed around the clearances which provides some versatility.

The Whitlocks are also some twins with some significantly competitive athletic traits that, if they can put it all together, can make a pick 18-20 a bargain for them (IMO it is almost certain that we would get a look in at one of them). Yes we can argue that we don't need any 200cm KP players but with speed, leap they can make astute drafting and trading look silly very quickly. Matt could be a very decent successor to someone like Alex Pearce if we can provide enough opportunity or be traded out for future better trading position. And then there will probably be other players that "should have gone a lot earlier" that will fall through because the draft is so even.

I also think there is real value in the second and even third round, particularly if you think we should be getting "safe" WA players with less go home whilst the current players potentially duke it out in premiership contention. Raw but hugely talented players like Gerreyn and Urquhart could be the next Brennan Cox / Josh Treacy and Elliot Yeo / Chad Warner respectively (or they could be nothing, always that risk) are in my opinion likely bargains in the second round. Hamish Davis has attracted a lot of attention with some of his play, with some calling him similar to Nat Fyfe in terms of his scope, whilst Claremont's Van Der Stuyf, Hayes and Angove are outside speedy winger / flankers that I am sure will be attractive to our recruiting team in the third round.

I've just been very lucky with who I've wanted, and then they magically appear eg. Modra and Tarrant. They haven't always been good ones.

You pretty much missed the response to you questioning how I would feel, and I responded. Is that all you took from my answer?

0514701f-a21a-42a8-ad37-81ad4f26ce80.jpeg

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Corey Warner is a wing
Just saying

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I have made it clear that I like Berry or/and Kako with our first rounders; they are around the range and I think they would fit with what the club is likely to look at, and what would be benefital for the list; whilst I think they are both most likely small forwards at the next level, they also are players that have the endurance to move up the ground and provide burst speed around the clearances which provides some versatility.

The Whitlocks are also some twins with some significantly competitive athletic traits that, if they can put it all together, can make a pick 18-20 a bargain for them (IMO it is almost certain that we would get a look in at one of them). Yes we can argue that we don't need any 200cm KP players but with speed, leap they can make astute drafting and trading look silly very quickly. Matt could be a very decent successor to someone like Alex Pearce if we can provide enough opportunity or be traded out for future better trading position. And then there will probably be other players that "should have gone a lot earlier" that will fall through because the draft is so even.

I also think there is real value in the second and even third round, particularly if you think we should be getting "safe" WA players with less go home whilst the current players potentially duke it out in premiership contention. Raw but hugely talented players like Gerreyn and Urquhart could be the next Brennan Cox / Josh Treacy and Elliot Yeo / Chad Warner respectively (or they could be nothing, always that risk) are in my opinion likely bargains in the second round. Hamish Davis has attracted a lot of attention with some of his play, with some calling him similar to Nat Fyfe in terms of his scope, whilst Claremont's Van Der Stuyf, Hayes and Angove are outside speedy winger / flankers that I am sure will be attractive to our recruiting team in the third round.

I am so onboard with the WA centric view of this post.
We trade out for the now, the Warners / Bolton and/or Baker - all are an excellent age profile to trade in for our young list and ALL make us better now.
Drafting the next two drafts will be consolidating the list.
High draft picks from interstate will be a high flight risk - however young WA boys that have raw and athletic upside should be prioritised because they can mature and develop at home…
I think we are in an enviable position as we have talent at Peel, that may also give us currency moving forward.
If Erasmus isn’t getting a game now, I fear he may be gone - as with Brodie, we have trade bait although- it will only garner 2nd rounders- but that may well be where the value lies when we trade out at least 2 of our 1st rounders

What do peeps think of Darcy Jones, GWS? If Liam Baker chooses WC and we want to hold war chest of picks for 2025. Darcy Jones whilst contracted through to 2026 could be targeted bolster our small forward stocks. Can also run on the wing.

What do peeps think of Darcy Jones, GWS? If Liam Baker chooses WC and we want to hold war chest of picks for 2025. Darcy Jones whilst contracted through to 2026 could be targeted bolster our small forward stocks. Can also run on the wing.
Would love Darcy Jones, doubt we’d get him for a F2 when contracted though.

Bolton copping it in the review thread over on the Richmond board. I understand he’s not going to particularly shine in a struggling team - more of a cream on the cake player, but there are certainly a few smoke signals about his attitude and consistency.

Very torn about chasing hard an x factor player than can equally frustrate as much as tear a game apart depending on the day..

Bolton is a classic not the guy you build a team around player. If youve built the team already though then him up and about could be the x factor that might get us our first flag.

I don’t see it. I think he’s a bit like Chad Wingard. Largely been figured out and won’t recapture that form. He made his mark in the Dustin Martin era, the latter was unstoppable allowing a lot of free space to Bolton.

Sturt is averaging 2.9 goals this season and Bolton is averaging 1.5. Sturt is costing us very little, is younger, and he is hungry for a flag. Banners is a versatile player who can play anywhere from the backline, to the wing, to the forward - I also wouldn't call Banners a "small forward". Switta has been a massive contributor for the past few weeks. Just because someone runs around celebrating their goals with enthusiasm, doesn't make them the best small forward. And, like I said, we still have to fit in players like Cooper Simpson, Delean and Kuek. It's far more sustainable to develop these younger players for the future than to risk losing them because we become impatient and want a quick fix.
I don’t understand this bit have to fit Simpson delean kuek in? They need to earn their spots. Kuek & delean are coming from a long way back, Simpson has shown glimpses but if a player like Bolton wants to come to your footy club you do everything you can to get it done. Bolton is a proven match winner. The 3 kids you have named are no where near it at this point. 2 of them haven’t even played at the level yet

Last edited:
Back