• Chad Warner

Votes: 184 66.4%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 14 5.1%
  • Shai Bolton

Votes: 22 7.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

As moderator, could it be your role to make it so we can mute Taylor if we don’t want to read her weird posts?
There is an ignore feature, yes.

But why you’d want to remove the fun from your life is anyone’s guess

Yep, I've been championing topping up for a little bit now, quality over quantity, especially ready made

It's why I was big into Logan, obviously Treacy has changed that up but the theory still remains, Warner and Bolton are the two, need one of them

I’m actually not against adding a small forward to the list via trade if it’s not Bolton tbh. If they’re good enough to fetch one of our top four picks they’d probably be a real asset to the squad. We still have Walters contracted next season but we need someone to take over as soon as possible - if Walters rediscovers 2023 for one last season that’s just a bonus.

I’d still be adding a small forward via the draft as well short of us trading in two small forwards.

For any remaining selections I think we should be targeting longer term needs, which I believe are at HBF and in the midfield - maybe we need another KPF if we delist all our KPFs which aren’t Treacy, Amiss and Voss.

He will eventually end up back in Perth late in his career or post-career, but will back in coach Adem Yze.

This is the most baffling part of all. He’s gonna sit through the prime of his career through a rebuild, and then leave when his trade value is at its lowest at the end of a rebuild? Huh?

Fremantle did reach out to Bolton, as the Dockers also tried to poach Liam Baker, to declare they would offer an exceptional draft package for the pair.

I’m also disproportionately offended with the use of tried to poach in regards to Baker. The blokes an out of contract West Australian weighing up to come home. That’s hardly poaching.

Now, Warner on the other hand…

1720531118684.jpeg

Posturing…
Read the game peeps.
Setting the value high….

They ain’t coming out and saying - ‘we understand Shai’s want to return home to WA’
Shit will change, what other currency do they have apart from pick 1 this year ?

They currently have pick 1, 2x 2nd rounders, 3x third rounders and 3x fourth rounders. One of those second rounders and one of third rounders are actually ours.

Can only assume they were going to trade for a club’s first rounder that needs to match bids by packaging up all those junk picks.

If the AFL don’t change their rules this year, they probably only need to trade one player (either Bolton or Rioli) to get five picks inside 30. Trading Baker as well would give them six. It’ll be a massive draft haul for them

For the record I don't think Motlop is the answer for us...
I agree, would prefer Jones from GWS, but not sure our F2 is enough to get him, collard is more likely but not enough exposed form on him either. I doubt we get anyone who walks into our B22 with a F2 but it would be nice to have some genuine competition for spots in the team beyond Walters and Delean.

I agree, would prefer Jones from GWS, but not sure our F2 is enough to get him, collard is more likely but not enough exposed form on him either. I doubt we get anyone who walks into our B22 with a F2 but it would be nice to have some genuine competition for spots in the team beyond Walters and Delean.

I don’t think it’s going to be overly easy to find enough list spots to bring in a player and use all four selections we have inside 30 tbh.

Passing on St Kilda’s second rounder is obviously crazy talk and I don’t think that pick is too far off the mark for either player tbh. And yes I think either player could be nice replacement for current Walters (hopefully with improvement to get better) without necessarily being an elite small forward.

Joe Richards is another one potentially on our radar. He’s not from WA but some journos have said we’re one of a few clubs trying to get him out of Collingwood. He’s out of contract, is a bit older and hasn’t played that many games so I’m not sure he’d be worth St Kilda’s second rounder. Probably as good as the other two though.

I don’t think it’s going to be overly easy to find enough list spots to bring in a player and use all four selections we have inside 30 tbh.

Passing on St Kilda’s second rounder is obviously crazy talk and I don’t think that pick is too far off the mark for either player tbh. And yes I think either player could be nice replacement for current Walters (hopefully with improvement to get better) without necessarily being an elite small forward.

Joe Richards is another one potentially on our radar. He’s not from WA but some journos have said we’re one of a few clubs trying to get him out of Collingwood. He’s out of contract, is a bit older and hasn’t played that many games so I’m not sure he’d be worth St Kilda’s second rounder. Probably as good as the other two though.
You’d have to go back a few pages, this is a response to a hypothetical where we’ve already traded 2x1sts for Bolton and the St Kilda 2nd for Blues F1, so we’re only taking 1x 1st and St Kilda 4th to the draft, hence we could trade a F2 for another small.

Taberner, one of the rucks are the two easy decisions.
Hughes, Corbett the other 2
O'Driscoll is under pressure, could be moved to rookie list.
There is talk Brodie leaves as well.

We need 5 spots if we keep all our picks.

Unless one of the big trades happens I’d definitely move 1 or even 2 of the 1sts into the future till either A ) the right trade/player is there or B ) teams start getting more and more ansy with Tassie around the corner

So as far as swapping a 1st that’s relative to their current ladder position for a F1st and something decentish for our trouble

Teams I’d take a punt on stepping back next year
( stay around the same at worst*)
Swans
Blues
Bombers
Cats
Hawks

Maybe but probably not ( dunno )
Lions
Pies
Giants
Dees

Teams I wouldn’t ( stay around the same at best* )
Port
Dogs
Suns
Crows
Saints
North
Tigers
WC

* for us

If WC , Tiges , Saints or North decided to back themselves in for a jump up the ladder and wanted to do a F1 for pick 10 or higher I’d do that too

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Taberner, one of the rucks are the two easy decisions.
Hughes, Corbett the other 2
O'Driscoll is under pressure, could be moved to rookie list.
There is talk Brodie leaves as well.

We need 5 spots if we keep all our picks.

Moving someone to the rookie list needs to be done I think but it’s got to be five gone altogether to even use our four picks.

Personally I think NOD should be kept over one or two you haven’t mentioned. His best footy is good and he looked ready to play that footy again in the pre season. Personally I think it should be Oscar McDonald we move to the rookie list - it doesn’t matter if they’re contracted.

I think the first four is easy tbh. Outside of that it’s either trying to trade contracted players where I don’t think they’ll be much interest or cutting someone I don’t want to cut.

Honestly still think Kuek could be in trouble. Originally thought not taking the MSD pick was a sign but now he’s back with nearly two months left I really just think it was the club doing the right thing by Kuek to give him the opportunity to prove himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Moving someone to the rookie list needs to be done I think but it’s got to be five gone altogether to even use our four picks.

Personally I think NOD should be kept over one or two you haven’t mentioned. His best footy is good and he looked ready to play that footy again in the pre season. Personally I think it should be Oscar McDonald we move to the rookie list - it doesn’t matter if they’re contracted.

I think the first four is easy tbh. Outside of that it’s either trying to trade contracted players where I don’t think they’ll be much interest or cutting someone I don’t want to cut.

Honestly still think Kuek could be in trouble. Originally thought not taking the MSD pick was a sign but now he’s back with nearly two months left I really just think it was the club doing the right thing by Kuek to give him the opportunity to prove himself.

Kuek and McDonald rookie list is ok.

Not sure about O'Driscoll, needs a big injury free preseason.

Kuek and McDonald rookie list is ok.

Not sure about O'Driscoll, needs a big injury free preseason.
Kuek is already on the rookie list.
Worner (may have already been upgraded, if not needs to be this is 3rd year and contracted for next year, could take Corbett’s main list spot and count as our 3rd draft pick if we end up only taking 2 picks to the draft)
Kuek (mid season so 2.5 years end of this year)
Reidy (2y)
Stanley (1.5y)
Voss (1y)
Jones (1y)
Draper (cat b 2y)
Williams (cat b 2y)
After Worner is upgraded we only have 1 Rookie spot left unless we delist someone above.

If the AFL changes the rules on rookies, from 3 years max to 5 years max as long as the player hasn't played more than a certain threshold of games, it will make things a lot less complicated for Fremantle.

Karl Worner has played seven games his whole career and given ten games is the threshold the AFL uses for rising star, that's what I expect them to use and all our rookies will qualify then - except Draper.

is the following worth a thread in its own right?

Basically who makes way for our new draftees and traded players?

We cover it in this and young gun thread but worth a chat in its own right maybe?

1. Who to delist to make way for the drafted and traded players?

2. Who currently has trade value?

3. Who must we keep for depth?

4. How many should we trade and delist?

Thoughts?

NGL, gonna be flat if we get nobody this off-season. And by that I mean Bolton, Warner or someone of similar quality. Don't want Baker.
Tbh, with West Coast seemingly set to be awful for an entire generation and Freo the opposite - still think going to the draft to setup Freo for the long term isn't a bad shout.

Oddly enough there's more on the line here than a flag, it's going big and entrenching the club properly in the WA consciousness a.k.a getting 80k members. Bolton feels like a sugar hit I really hope they don't reach too hard for.

is the following worth a thread in its own right?

Basically who makes way for our new draftees and traded players?

We cover it in this and young gun thread but worth a chat in its own right maybe?

1. Who to delist to make way for the drafted and traded players?

2. Who currently has trade value?

3. Who must we keep for depth?

4. How many should we trade and delist?

Thoughts?
I would personally think all of those are core parts of list management, and there's a hard enough time keeping a quite specific topic such as the death ride separate from other discussions that trying to focus on a subset of list management wouldn't be successful.

How many and who to delist?
Has been covered a lot, but a lot will depend on the quality of our picks which is in itself dependent on our trading success.

Who has trade value?
Probably more specifically who has trade value that might be expendable / resources better focused in other areas.
Also covered loosely - Erasmus, Brodie (although less value and more list spot), even potentially Switta, and of course there's all the Darcy discussions

Who to keep for depth?
Dependent on the others and strongly linked to the who to delist, but there's been lots of discussions on KPF vs KPD vs HBF. Equally we probably don't need small forward depth, just more quality which make existing options depth.

Good news re Tracey, not so much Bolton - if it’s to be believed…

Reading between the lines of what the journos have been saying ... Bolton approached Freo, but we said we would not be able to take on his salary, so he's had to accept he stays at Richmond. If Bolton's deal is truly going into the 1.3 million territory as reported, there's no way we can afford that with our young guns and needing room for Warner (who would be a priority over Bolton).

Reading between the lines of what the journos have been saying ... Bolton approached Freo, but we said we would not be able to take on his salary, so he's had to accept he stays at Richmond. If Bolton's deal is truly going into the 1.3 million territory as reported, there's no way we can afford that with our young guns and needing room for Warner (who would be a priority over Bolton).
Lynch's deal is back ended.

Would not surprise me if Bolton's was similar.

Kuek is already on the rookie list.
Worner (may have already been upgraded, if not needs to be this is 3rd year and contracted for next year, could take Corbett’s main list spot and count as our 3rd draft pick if we end up only taking 2 picks to the draft)
Kuek (mid season so 2.5 years end of this year)
Reidy (2y)
Stanley (1.5y)
Voss (1y)
Jones (1y)
Draper (cat b 2y)
Williams (cat b 2y)
After Worner is upgraded we only have 1 Rookie spot left unless we delist someone above.
Actually the rookie spot only becomes open once we delist someone.

Voss replaced Corbett who's on the senior list. If delisting Corbett and upgrading Worner are the first to moves we make it only brings us back to AFL standard.

Tbh, with West Coast seemingly set to be awful for an entire generation and Freo the opposite - still think going to the draft to setup Freo for the long term isn't a bad shout.

Oddly enough there's more on the line here than a flag, it's going big and entrenching the club properly in the WA consciousness a.k.a getting 80k members. Bolton feels like a sugar hit I really hope they don't reach too hard for.
This is perfectly reasonable, and hard to disagree with but... I really want that massive dopamine hit.

Firstly the Eagles have never been bad for a whole generation so at best it is likely they are down another 4-5 years then will be on the rise. So the time for us to act is now, we have got a big crop of 24 and unders that are very good, need to top up with a couple of free agents/trades to either add to the talented U24's we have or ones that sit in the 25-28 age group. If you look at a team like the Cats they hardly ever bottom out or go hard at the draft but supplement what they need through free agents and trades.

Back