Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Is the lack of news on Banfield and Sturt a sign that Warner and/or Bolton are probable?

The club might feel that if signing one or both of those match winners costs us one of Sturt/Banfield then the juice is worth the squeeze.

I think the opposite makes more sense given Bolton’s reasons for coming home and Warner’s contract?

Agreed,
And Sydney will be gutted to give Warner over to contender.
also what he’s gonna say yeh na, just wanna go play in Perth eh.

Little worried this haggling over Warner goes to the wire and we miss both.

Is the lack of news on Banfield and Sturt a sign that Warner and/or Bolton are probable?

The club might feel that if signing one or both of those match winners costs us one of Sturt/Banfield then the juice is worth the squeeze.
why would Freo give Banners a contract then?

It may be a low contract.

I am hoping, Fremantle have agreed to up there offer but they need to wait and see how much salary cap space they have left first.
like I said in a previous post, historically he has signed contracts in September, and even the West Coke article said he is sitting on it and is in no hurry.

JOM wont go out, he has that experience we have been crying out for.

The current JOM is almost best case scenario though, he's not getting better. If we bring in Warner and/or Bolton then O'Driscoll/Erasmus/etc have a massive pre-season JOM will battle to hold his spot.

The current JOM is almost best case scenario though, he's not getting better. If we bring in Warner and/or Bolton then O'Driscoll/Erasmus/etc have a massive pre-season JOM will battle to hold his spot.
Maybe after a bit but I think he plays a very specific role playing position that values the experience, skills and body size / strength he plays with. More likely Walters is now firmly out of best 22, we play an extra mid and two of Freddy, Banfield and Switta lose their spot (I think Sturt is different enough he's a different conversation). All three of those guys move up the ground a fair bit like Warner and Bolton would do

Meanwhile I'm still pinching myself that we're discussing who unfortunately gets squeezed out so we can fit in Shai Bolton and Chad Warner

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depth, versatility, great club man, etc.

Starting to feel like the Logue/Acres/Tucker scenario where Sturt and Banfield will be offered poor deals and will either accept or look to move on.
2 out of 3 of those calls was correct.

Banners isn't going anywhere. I've got as much worry about him leaving as Brayshaw. Sturt could definitely get a better offer of 3+ years and leave. Both parties could be holding out for end of the year though as it would be in everyone's best interest, even if it costs us.

Meanwhile I'm still pinching myself that we're discussing who unfortunately gets squeezed out so we can fit in Shai Bolton and Chad Warner
If we’re being honest, should try and push JOM out.
4 years was obscene. Don’t get it.
If the club gets Bolton and/or Warner, JOM doesn’t fit.

Full disclosure, as I've been going through this in my head of late. I think I'd only want one of them. The more I think about it, I think they are actually the same player and play the same role - Swittas (just significantly better at it obviously). They are both mid/fwds. In slightly different ways, they are explosive, damaging mids who need to be fed the ball to have maximum impact.

Per even Richmond fans, Bolton is a hybrid, not a real small forward. While yes, the elite small forwards all spend time on ball now, Bolton's best use seems to be like 60/40, not primarily up front.

So all that to say, Warner, because of his Grand Final effort and not having won a flag yet leaving me more confident we'll get his best. I also believe Daniels and think it was chips in on Warner and Bolton has come late so isnt a priority.
I just have trouble believing that after pulling the "go home" lever hard enough for journos with real credibility to report it, Bolton stays. Once you pull that lever, it's hard to un-pull it. And once it's pulled, especially by a player of that calibre, there's gonna be a "home state" team that pounces.

The "skillset redundancy" point is rather interesting. It's an issue for sure: if you could choose btwn Warner and Bolton or Warner and Bobby Hill, you'd probably choose the latter as it fits neater and hurts you less cap and picks wise. But I think the way they're currently being used exaggerates that issue.

Bolton has played plenty of games in the last 3 years with sub-50% and even sub-40% CBA attendance, and the impact is still there, just in a different package: less touches and clearances, more shots and goals, about the same score involvements. As for Chad, he was still impacting winning at a high (and maybe more consistent) level in past seasons when he was scoring less (still a lot) but doing more of the hard-nosed stuff than he's doing this season. They're playing the way they are because that's what the skillset of the team demands, but I think they're versatile enough to put in high-level, optimal or near optimal performances in somewhat different roles to what they play currently.

To me, if you get both, it's effectively replacing Switta and Fyfe in role. If we're still keeping Switta, it'd be a slightly different role, and with Chad presumably taking Fyfe's CBAs it'd presumably fall on Brayshaw and Young to step up defensively, and Chad to play a role that's a bit less free to the one he's currently playing.

I just have trouble believing that after pulling the "go home" lever hard enough for journos with real credibility to report it, Bolton stays. Once you pull that lever, it's hard to un-pull it. And once it's pulled, especially by a player of that calibre, there's gonna be a "home state" team that pounces.

The "skillset redundancy" point is rather interesting. It's an issue for sure: if you could choose btwn Warner and Bolton or Warner and Bobby Hill, you'd probably choose the latter as it fits neater and hurts you less cap and picks wise. But I think the way they're currently being used exaggerates that issue.

Bolton has played plenty of games in the last 3 years with sub-50% and even sub-40% CBA attendance, and the impact is still there, just in a different package: less touches and clearances, more shots and goals, about the same score involvements. As for Chad, he was still impacting winning at a high (and maybe more consistent) level in past seasons when he was scoring less (still a lot) but doing more of the hard-nosed stuff than he's doing this season. They're playing the way they are because that's what the skillset of the team demands, but I think they're versatile enough to put in high-level, optimal or near optimal performances in somewhat different roles to what they play currently.

To me, if you get both, it's effectively replacing Switta and Fyfe in role. If we're still keeping Switta, it'd be a slightly different role, and with Chad presumably taking Fyfe's CBAs it'd presumably fall on Brayshaw and Young to step up defensively, and Chad to play a role that's a bit less free to the one he's currently playing.

Tim Kelly stayed for 1 year.

Bryce Gibbs did as well.

If Richmond dig in as hard as Carlton and Geelong, then I hope he stays. It is hard getting contracted players out of clubs, if they don't want to trade them.

If you bring in Warner, you almost have to let Raz go and hope we get a trade offer around what Geelong got from us for Jordan Clark. I'm big on Raz and think he's a monster pre-season away from causing real selection headaches...if Warner wasn't on the cards. But if you bring in Warner, Raz just ain't taking centre bounce attendances from Brayshaw, Serong, Young and Warner.

Change probable to possible and I think you could be right.

More difficult to negotiate if you've already locked up your cap space.

That's good isn't it?

If JOM is the next man in we are in a good place. Same with Walters and Aish. And gulp Fyfe.

If we’re being honest, should try and push JOM out.
4 years was obscene. Don’t get it.
If the club gets Bolton and/or Warner, JOM doesn’t fit.
4 years was fine at the time considering we were replacing Mundy and Fyfe wasn't playing many games. Hawks also paid his first year so spread the 3 years over 4 and he's on a reasonable deal. We now have him for another 2 seasons as depth while still giving him games if he performs better.

Experience matters though, no way would i be pushing him out this season.

I still think we have zero chance of Warner this year. I think Warner saying he wants out is still in play, but Sydney simply will not trade him. They won't care if they get less next year. Their time is now, as they have 5 or 6 guys over 30 who are still an important part of their side. They will keep Warner to maximise their chance of a flag next year (which includes not making us stronger).
Might depend on how they finish the year off & how much they want Barrass. If they’re super keen on Barrass they’ll need the picks to pay for him.

We badly need small forwards. I think we only have 3 on our list. (True small forwards)

Walters - about to retire
Emmett - Poor skills
Dealan - playing WAFL reserves.

I really don't want any of these players in our best 22, but in reality, you should have at least one, ideally 2 of these players in your best 22.

I don't think picking players like Switta in this role helps us.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back