Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Both need to be the number 1 ruck at Peel. Knobel is very good every time he plays league and looks a significantly better prospect. Why are we keeping Reidy if he never comes in as emergency? I also think Knobel goes past him comfortably with another preseason.

They are even forcing Jones into the Peel side as a ruck/forward/defender.

I don't understand the point of keeping Reidy

Well I would have played Reidy every time Darcy was out this year, so I can’t answer that - but obviously the club does rate his game and his development, it’s just that this board has decided they don’t.

And if Knobel goes past him next preseason, then great! We’ve got a mature body on a one year rookie deal. Losing next to nothing. But in the mean time, there’s no pressure on a 20 year old ruck to be ready.

I disagree, Darcy gives plenty of opportunities every year for another ruck to play, they just don't let Reidy have a go because they don't rate him as worth it. It is a perfect situation for a young ruck to develop.
Why is it a better situation than developing for a club that you can see a genuine chance of becoming a number 1 ruck there? Eg if I was him I would look at Melbourne and working with Gawn for a couple of years and the prospects of taking over that number 1 mantle as much more appealing. Hoping for a handful of games per year when Darcy is injured as a best case scenario is not ideal for him at all

Why is it a better situation than developing for a club that you can see a genuine chance of becoming a number 1 ruck there? Eg if I was him I would look at Melbourne and working with Gawn for a couple of years and the prospects of taking over that number 1 mantle as much more appealing. Hoping for a handful of games per year when Darcy is injured as a best case scenario is not ideal for him at all
Knobel is 20, that is young for a ruckman. Freo are great at developing rucks and he will get plenty of opportunities to play at the top level. Besides, Darcy is not guaranteed to be at the club by the time his contract ends.

Club has a track record of developing rucks very well and you can trade out after the next contract if needed. Meek should be the one he copies. In the meantime he develops with no pressure.

Well I would have played Reidy every time Darcy was out this year, so I can’t answer that - but obviously the club does rate his game and his development, it’s just that this board has decided they don’t.

And if Knobel goes past him next preseason, then great! We’ve got a mature body on a one year rookie deal. Losing next to nothing. But in the mean time, there’s no pressure on a 20 year old ruck to be ready.
The club has clearly decided so far that they are better off playing others than giving a Reidy a go. At some level. They don't rate him that highly or he would have played.

We've got a mature body taking up a list spot (which are now at a premium) and development time of a younger superior player.

At the very least, assuming we keep Knobel, it will need very careful managing. Knobel can not play reserves anymore

Knobel is 20, that is young for a ruckman. Freo are great at developing rucks and he will get plenty of opportunities to play at the top level. Besides, Darcy is not guaranteed to be at the club by the time his contract ends.
I understand that completely and I assume that's exactly what the club is selling to him. I just think other opportunities would be appealing to him

The club has clearly decided so far that they are better off playing others than giving a Reidy a go. At some level. They don't rate him that highly or he would have played.

Or they actually do rate him, hence wanting him for a third year - but thought he still had areas to improve on first. Like how we left Sturt in the WAFL to work on his defensive side. But like you, I’m simply guessing how the club might think.

Ultimately I think Reidy would have been on an AFL list somewhere next year. Taking up a rookie spot is as small an investment as a club can make.

WC people are very adamant (including reliable posters) that Freo are WC are planning on a pick swap. Essentially our firsts for 3 and 23. The idea between the 2 clubs being the latest of our firsts help WC get Baker while they draft with the other two while we would use pick 3 and change on Warner.

It seems WC peeps are hearing Warner is still absolutely in play this year. Thoughts on the possible price if it comes through?
that is not going to work for us, If the Pies gets us pick 10 and lets sau our pick at ports pick is 14 and 16

It’s rather strange we’re still talking about small forwards as our biggest need yet I don’t actually think the forward line has lost us any games this season. We’ve lost games in the midfield and that’s about it yet the midfield when it’s working looks like one the AFL’s best. I think we’re a genuine premiership contender if we get consistency from the midfield and we should one if we do both that and get an above average crumbing small forward (I don’t even think a genuine A Grader is necessary - just someone we can all agree should never get dropped)
That's the thing, really. We're all crying out for a crumbing small forward, but it looks to my completely uneducated eye that our forward systems don't revolve around creating the kind of situations in which a crumber would flourish.

We stretch the forward third, to create one-on-ones and rely on the speed, strength or marking ability of the keys to mark or otherwise win the contest. All three are at least above average (relative to talls) for ground/loose ball, and so have an even chance or better at winning the post-spill contest. We don't use our "smalls" to force F50 stoppages through tackling pressure, which usually calls for numbers at the contest, but rather aim to exploit the one-on-one positioning to shut down / obstruct /corral rebounders, defending against transition and giving the mids and defense the chance to structure up.

In that system, the crumber is really more of an insurance policy and/or opportunist. I kinda fell like we'd get a fantastic crumber, and they would look completely sh*t and would get bagged out every week (hello, Michael Walters) for seeming to contribute bugger all, when that minimal contribution is a product of the system.

I guess there's the chicken or egg question of whether we play those systems because we lack a crumbing small or we lack a crumbing small because we play those systems. But really, if the forward line is working — and to me it's looking more and more like that's the case — then you've really got to factor that into the cost-benefit thinking behind allocating resources to getting an elite crumbing small forward.

Having said all that, we all know that elite crumbing small forwards are excitement machines, and so I want us to get one for my viewing pleasure.

Jeez, the Reidy signing is bizarre, list spots are tight, this draft is stacked.

It feels like we are sitting out another super draft, basically sitting out of 2018 was a mistake, don't really want to miss this one.

Maybe we are cutting Stanley loose or something?

Jeez, the Reidy signing is bizarre, list spots are tight, this draft is stacked.

It feels like we are sitting out another super draft, basically sitting out of 2018 was a mistake, don't really want to miss this one.

We didn't sit out the 2018 draft. We picked up Collingwood 2024 1st rounder in it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Warner is still just 23 so not at peak yet and will get more consistent as a player. His power running and goal sense is unique to only top echelon players for that age. I think he has more upside
Of course, but like Bolton he isn’t perfect - in fact Richmond supporters hold Bolton in far higher regard than Sydney do Warner, who has almost become detested of late with his attitude and complete drop off of form

Of course, but like Bolton he isn’t perfect - in fact Richmond supporters hold Bolton in far higher regard than Sydney do Warner, who has almost become detested of late with his attitude and complete drop off of form
My experience there seems to be that 50% Richmond supporters value all of their players through the moon (I think because of da flags) while Sydney peeps due to being non-victorian are much more realistic on player value

We still have 4 picks in the first 30.

Not sure how we make space, unless other players are leaving. Maybe players like Brodie, Banfield, Sturt etc are leaving.

Sounds like someone else offered a contract to him, and we didn't want to lose him.

Out of contract players
Ethan Stanley
Conrad Williams
Sebit Kuek
Bailey Banfield
Nathan O'Driscoll
Max Knobel
Matt Taberner
Josh Corbett
Tom Emmett
Ethan Hughes
Sam Sturt

We still have 4 picks in the first 30.

Not sure how we make space, unless other players are leaving. Maybe players like Brodie, Banfield, Sturt etc are leaving.

Sounds like someone else offered a contract to him, and we didn't want to lose him.

Out of contract players
Ethan Stanley
Conrad Williams x
Sebit Kuek
Bailey Banfield
Nathan O'Driscoll
Max Knobel
Matt Taberner x
Josh Corbett x
Tom Emmett
Ethan Hughes x
Sam Sturt
Delist with an x
Banfield and Sturt we should re-sign ASAP.

Drizz, Knobel and Stanley too…kuek and Emmett? In danger imo.

We could have had two top 10 picks, but we instead trading them out and used one late picks.

It was a massive stuff up by the club. Only the Crows could find a bad player in that draft.

View attachment 2071370
Get out the violines, we're back to this draft again.

Imagine if we had of had Ben King in our side. He would have kicked 2.2 instead of the 4 straight Amiss did on the weekend and we would have lost by 2 goals.

Rozee would have already asked for a trade back to SA and we wouldn't have the currency this year to bring in Bolton or Warner or maybe even both.

Our drafting, development and list decisions have been fantastic since that offseason. Without a big stuff up like Hogan that we are actually getting our currency back for this year, maybe we don't improve to the level we have. It's not a finished product but you're basically complaining about the color of your new Ferrari and the way it drives around a built up area before you have even taken it out for a proper drive.

Could be that Knobel is getting real rival interest and has had his head turned? 20 years old, would make sense if teams like what they see with him. If that were the case, better to sign Reidy than be looking for multiple developmental rucks.

Might also be that the club views 2 back-up rucks as a must, so realistically you're not doing all that much good moving 1 on if you're gonna have to draft another and start from scratch anyways, especially when the 2 we've got are as good as you'd want. I thought that point would be moot because surely 1 would want out between being behind Darcy and Jackson and fighting for the 1 WAFL seniors spot, but maybe if they're both okay with staying we'll let them.

We didn't sit out the 2018 draft. We picked up Collingwood 2024 1st rounder in it.
We also picked up the player we really wanted with an early second round pick after a few years of development with Geelong.

There were a series of stuff ups in 2018 and not retaining a top 10 pick despite Hogan and Lobb is definitely one of them. Mind you the form Hogan is displaying at the moment would be worth every bit of pick 6.

If you bring in Warner, you almost have to let Raz go and hope we get a trade offer around what Geelong got from us for Jordan Clark. I'm big on Raz and think he's a monster pre-season away from causing real selection headaches...if Warner wasn't on the cards. But if you bring in Warner, Raz just ain't taking centre bounce attendances from Brayshaw, Serong, Young and Warner.

I reckon we'd get pick 30-40 for Erasmus. I'd rather keep him.

He'll get his chances, we've had an incredible run with injuries this year and I hope it continues long term but that's unlikely.

We also picked up the player we really wanted with an early second round pick after a few years of development with Geelong.

There were a series of stuff ups in 2018 and not retaining a top 10 pick despite Hogan and Lobb is definitely one of them. Mind you the form Hogan is displaying at the moment would be worth every bit of pick 6.
Yep,
But excluding the history but just looking at current form and age, would you trade either of Amiss or Treacy for Hogan right now? I wouldn't.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back