Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm with Joao that Vlastuin would actually be amazing. I'd rather him than Baker though maybe Baker over Wagner would also make a huge difference. The backline needs a winner with grunt to organise it with Pearce not the most reliable injury wise.

Maybe that has been the plan with Baker the whole time, Richmond fans are adamant his best position is the backline. He would also help with transition even if not rapid himself
Yeah as the season has gone on, Baker taking that 7th defender role is looking steadily more appealing.

I used to not like it coz it felt like we had more pressing needs and the package of attributes he brings as a defender are strange. Short so the 1 on 1 defence is a problem, not a notable interceptor for the same reasons, not a high level rebounder. But the toughness, the harrying, the ground balls won...it's what Aish is supposed to bring but on steroids.

If it's not him (either coz he goes West Coast or we choose another position for him), possible hot take: I wouldn't mind seeing us turn NOD into a rebounding defender. I believe it was his original position, he's got the attributes for it, and his intercept play since returning to the WAFL has been sneaky good.

Jack Martin done in the first quarter eh

Surely thats enough to put line through that

His lack of impact on games was enough.

He’s a classic failed high draft pick. Rated as an AFL player for 5-10 years after his draft despite showing nothing.

Rankine was out of contract. Bolton still has 4 more years on his, that’s why it costs more as the clubs can say no
I think the 4 years is overplayed a bit.

Of course Richmond can say no, but when he signed that contract they thought they could top up for another tilt. Things have changed and it may be in their best interest to hit the draft prior to Tasmania coming.

That's certainly what I would do if a reasonable trade was offered.

Im sure his diet is fine he needs to lay off the piss.

The selection of Taberber today infuriated me. News came in as i walked through the gate and i turned to the bloke next to me. Might as wall Walk out now we aren't winning with Taberenr.

He has stolen a career, there is no way he lasts 10+ years on any other team's list
That’s extremely unfair. He has been solid, had he been fit 2019-2022. He would’ve been something.
His back has killed any longevity and robbed him of his legs.
Ross Lyon refused to play him in 2016 when he was averaging 20 disposals and 3 goals for Peel. That’s horrific. A team 0-9 and what we do ? Play Kersten in 2017.

It’s the club’s list management that robbed the team of any KPF. Choosing Tabs off the Rookie List then no one in the first round for 10 years until Amiss. That’s criminal

Insufficient attempt to keep the ball in play is the rule I believe, certainly not deliberate out of bounds.
Which is still not how it's being umpired is it?

I think I understand how they're umpiring it tbh - Just not sure the name of the rule makes it overly easy to understand for a new fan learning the game.

Same with holding the ball tbh. Majority of holding the ball calls are actually for dropping it - i.e. exactly the opposite.

Which is still not how it's being umpired is it?

I think I understand how they're umpiring it tbh - Just not sure the name of the rule makes it overly easy to understand for a new fan learning the game.

Same with holding the ball tbh. Majority of holding the ball calls are actually for dropping it - i.e. exactly the opposite.
Just make it the same as AFLW .

Last touch (possession) between the arcs.

Need to remove as many rules that have “intent” and mind reading in them.

Bolton has an extra 4 years on his contract.

Watching Banfield and Switta and Emmet and Freddy not incentive enough for you?

I’d say 8 and 16 or something plus Baker for 25 is in their favour but it’s not a roasting, and it gives us a shot at Berry
It’s a monster contract. Freo can’t afford to take that on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah managers are generally all over teams salary caps and what’s available etc .
I doubt he’s pushing it if he doesn’t think freo can satisfy Shais needs financially.

The only caveat to that is maybe shai and his management in particular have got known the details about freos chad pursuit and how much coin is on offer but realise it’s still no certainty to happen , certainly not this year anyway and they’ve decided to make their move now and take this opportunity in the hope freo change tact and take the guaranteed option of Bolten now (as they also have the picks this year) instead of walls waiting on an answer from warners camp next year

Something else to float in the whole "Who's the 7th defender?" debate: I'd like to see a Pearce Cox Draper Ryan Clark Chapman Walker mix next year. That's about as physical a group as you could float while still having enough skill and rebounding there. Moving Ryan down from 3rd tall is probably what we need to do judging by his play especially post-bye: his intercept play has fallen off, and the guy who earned an AA blazer taking the competition's best key fwds feels like a distant memory. Chapman can be the guy who takes that 3rd tall mantle judging by yesterday, but I like him a bit freer.

Speaking of defence, it's no secret that our score-from-stoppage differential does not match our clearance differential. Many of the teams above us in that score differential have proper defensive stoppers (generally pressure and tackle demons) who obviously have immense value defensively, but also unlock their own midfielders offensively. Willem Drew, James Rowbottom, since coming to Brisbane particularly Josh Dunkley, when Melbourne were at their best there Jack Viney. Guys who are north of 6 tackles a game and at least 22 pressure acts a game. Consequently, we're talking mids whose score involvement % ranks low relative to their teammates.

Fyfe has done an admiral job doing a version of that, but from a numbers perspective he's far from the tackling type, and on the eye test once the ball leaves that telephone box area he's ****ed. We've seen this year inconsistency in impact doing that role: he did a great job on Heeney in particular, but yesterday against Danger his burst from stoppage continually put him away from Fyfe's remit of impact. Especially as our other mids (particularly Young) grow offensively, you'd want a more robust version of that in 2025.

Brayshaw on paper seems like he can be a version of that, but his score involvement % over the past few seasons has been elite. Maybe you don't see it in terms of pure goal numbers, but his score chain impact is high level. If/when you get Chad Warner it'd merit discussion (even then it'd be more like defence by committee), but for now you don't want him in the defensive stopper bracket. If it wasn't for the fact that role generally needs good size, Switta or Baker could be an option. Assuming we look at the current crop for that role, Raz and Johnson are probably the 2 most capable of being that next year. Hopefully that's what we're grooming 1 of them for.

Not sure where the Baker being good in the forwardline has come from. Barely got a touch against us. Isn't an instinctive goal kicker. Ok kicking into the forwardline as long as it is a short kick. That's about it from what i have seen

Ok kicking into the forwardline as long as it is a short kick.

I am good with that. We have too many players willing to just bomb it in willy nilly rather than lower their eyes and look for a lead.

Not sure where the Baker being good in the forwardline has come from. Barely got a touch against us. Isn't an instinctive goal kicker. Ok kicking into the forwardline as long as it is a short kick. That's about it from what i have seen
He isn't playing in defense or midfield. I don't pay any attention to his stats this year, playing in a team that gets beaten every week.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back