Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Aish has been good for us but he isn't the future. Just a stopgap player who keeps a young guy who needs games out of the team. If we had made finals the last two years you could justify it but we're in no mans land. No finals. Shit picks and very little experience for the young talented guys we have on the list at Peel. If not for Cox and McDonald going down injured would we have seen Draper this year? And look how he's coming along with a chance to play.

Can only develop so much at the lower levels. If the coaches are waiting for these guys to become elite AFL standard playing in the WAFL they are clueless.
Its the coaching that is causing us the issues with Banfield, Aish, JOM, etc as they are being used as stop gaps with their roles changing from week to week. They are never able to settle into the midfield or back 6 or forward line as they keep getting moved around.

Daniel Curtin tonight in game 5 of his career:
11 disposals (7 contested)
82% disposal efficiency
2.0 Goals
3 Clearances

He is developing nicely especially if you look at his SANFL numbers. It's a shame he wants to return to WA (if the rumours are true) because I was bullish on him in his draft year. Can't fault us choosing to pursue Bolton and Warner though.
The Crows have been using him terribly as the sub with very little game time or not letting him settle in the back 6

Daniel Curtin tonight in game 5 of his career:
11 disposals (7 contested)
82% disposal efficiency
2.0 Goals
3 Clearances

He is developing nicely especially if you look at his SANFL numbers. It's a shame he wants to return to WA (if the rumours are true) because I was bullish on him in his draft year. Can't fault us choosing to pursue Bolton and Warner though.
Wasn’t the rumour just some random caller into SEN?

Don’t get me wrong he’d be a great get

Can't believe we actually need another elite 1v1 defender more than anything. Pearce and Walker aren't enough with Ryan going backwards. Seriously hard words need to be had with Ryan as well as Darcy. Strict weight and skinfold goals for both to reach over off-season.
Do you have any confidence JL will have these hard conversations.....I have none.

This is why I don’t get when people say we’ve been good at trading in players for cheap. Apart from maybe Aish they’ve all done about as much as could be expected from the price paid - pay ** all and expect ** all.

I’ll go back until 2016 - these are the players traded in for value less than a second rounder:
  • McCarthy
  • Hamling
  • Kersten
  • Matera
  • Lobb*
  • Conca
  • Colyer
  • Aish
  • Corbett
  • JOM

I’ve put an * next to Lobb as whilst the points value index doesn’t value what we gave up I think it’s BS and we actually paid second round value.

McCarthy, Hamling, Aish and even JOM have had enough moments that you almost think about whether it was worth it. They are (excluding Lobb) the four most expensive trades there.

You get what you pay for when trading. When we’ve paid a bit more we’ve seen players than provide a bit more of a contribution. I could argue with you about some but I think we can agree Hogan didn’t work - the rest of the more expensive trades you could argue whether the price was right but they’ve played AFL-standard footy most of their time at the club.

From memory all the cheap trades were offered at least three years and a lot of the time the third year was a total waste of time.

This year where we’ll have **** all list spots to work with and we have good picks cheap trades should not be considered IMO. I’m happy to trade for genuine best 22 players with 5+ years left - otherwise said players can GAGF as I’d rather use the picks.
Acres goes in that list too you'd assume - trade value is hidden because it was in the Brad Hill trade, but I think it's safe to say it fits that bill. Only thing wrong with that trade is that we didn't keep the bloke.

I think that collection is more of a mixed bag than you're making it out to be. I'd generally divide them btwn "players who were brought in with a specific and realistic purpose in mind that adds value to the team" (Hamling, Aish, Acres, Lobb, Colyer (speed), debatably Conca coz leadership, debatably JOM coz leadership and actually ok at football), the "we can fix you" types (McCarthy, Matera) and the "aight wtf did you expect" (Kersten, Corbett). To me, when we've actually brought in players to fit a proper purpose, they've at least done okay: they either fulfilled their purpose or were on their way to doing so before other stuff interfered (for Hamling specifically his foot exploded).

I know the focus was trades (though Conca was FA), but Sharp specifically pretty much belongs in that group. It wasn't a Voss situation where we only gave him a chance through SSP and he knocked the door down or an Oscar McDonald who had a year in VFL btwn teams. His contract ran out, Dimma actually wanted him to stay but he said no, so he was "delisted" and basically immediately signed with us. That's a player we picked up on the cheap identifying what he could bring to the team, and it has worked out.

To me, getting players on the cheap from other clubs is like any tool in your toolbox: it can do the job it's suited for. Using Joe Richards as an example because he's been linked with us, fits that bill, and got disrespected this past week with how he was "used" as sub. Can I see a world where we come to the conclusion he's a better option than anything else we can use that list spot and draft capital on? To me, the answer is yes.

Right now, it looks like there will be a level of list spot crunch as you said, which makes those options less palatable. But how often do these things change? Just last year JL talked about how in 2022 we turned over like 25% of our list and we didn't want a repeat of that...only to pretty much get a repeat of that.

Yeah as the season has gone on, Baker taking that 7th defender role is looking steadily more appealing.

I used to not like it coz it felt like we had more pressing needs and the package of attributes he brings as a defender are strange. Short so the 1 on 1 defence is a problem, not a notable interceptor for the same reasons, not a high level rebounder. But the toughness, the harrying, the ground balls won...it's what Aish is supposed to bring but on steroids.

If it's not him (either coz he goes West Coast or we choose another position for him), possible hot take: I wouldn't mind seeing us turn NOD into a rebounding defender. I believe it was his original position, he's got the attributes for it, and his intercept play since returning to the WAFL has been sneaky good.
I'm still stuck where you were. Ideally any upgrades to our back third bring high level intercept or rebound. I'd almost rather embrace Draper and try build Chapman as our best option to intercept and rebound (recent form acknowledged).

Baker is quality but his real skill is almost his versatility over being A grade in any one role.

Assume if he's playing back third he replaces Wagner's role? Happy with the upgrade etc, but you'd think given the price its not the priority?

Acres goes in that list too you'd assume - trade value is hidden because it was in the Brad Hill trade, but I think it's safe to say it fits that bill. Only thing wrong with that trade is that we didn't keep the bloke.

I think that collection is more of a mixed bag than you're making it out to be. I'd generally divide them btwn "players who were brought in with a specific and realistic purpose in mind that adds value to the team" (Hamling, Aish, Acres, Lobb, Colyer (speed), debatably Conca coz leadership, debatably JOM coz leadership and actually ok at football), the "we can fix you" types (McCarthy, Matera) and the "aight wtf did you expect" (Kersten, Corbett). To me, when we've actually brought in players to fit a proper purpose, they've at least done okay: they either fulfilled their purpose or were on their way to doing so before other stuff interfered (for Hamling specifically his foot exploded).

I know the focus was trades (though Conca was FA), but Sharp specifically pretty much belongs in that group. It wasn't a Voss situation where we only gave him a chance through SSP and he knocked the door down or an Oscar McDonald who had a year in VFL btwn teams. His contract ran out, Dimma actually wanted him to stay but he said no, so he was "delisted" and basically immediately signed with us. That's a player we picked up on the cheap identifying what he could bring to the team, and it has worked out.

To me, getting players on the cheap from other clubs is like any tool in your toolbox: it can do the job it's suited for. Using Joe Richards as an example because he's been linked with us, fits that bill, and got disrespected this past week with how he was "used" as sub. Can I see a world where we come to the conclusion he's a better option than anything else we can use that list spot and draft capital on? To me, the answer is yes.

Right now, it looks like there will be a level of list spot crunch as you said, which makes those options less palatable. But how often do these things change? Just last year JL talked about how in 2022 we turned over like 25% of our list and we didn't want a repeat of that...only to pretty much get a repeat of that.

I can’t consider Sharp and Voss the same tbh. We haven’t even used a spot on the senior list on them yet.

We never should’ve brought players like Kersten, Matera, Conca and Colyer to the club. They weren’t much good and we knew that before we brought them in.

When we’ve used second rounders or better to bring players in they’ve usually done alright (Hamling, Wilson, Lobb) or even good (Clark, Hill). That’s still a decent draft selection. When we’ve traded less they’ve been sh**e pretty much every time. The proof is staring everyone right in the face tbh.

Our club has consistently drafted better players with third and fourth round picks than we’ve traded in with those selections.

I think Voss is perfect KPD depth, especially with more time to develop. He literally just turned 21. See what he can do with a couple extra pre seasons and some marking practice. Already has the strength.

Played a shit game but I think it's stupid to talk about delisting him when we have no one else as depth.

Most on here would’ve said he’s good depth two days ago. There’s some reactionary people on here for sure.

Honestly think we should be delisting all KPFs that aren’t best 22 or in their first season on our list. The others aren’t helping our depth at all and are old enough that’s unlikely to change as harsh as that is on someone like Kuek.

I think Voss is perfect KPD depth, especially with more time to develop. He literally just turned 21. See what he can do with a couple extra pre seasons and some marking practice. Already has the strength.

Played a shit game but I think it's stupid to talk about delisting him when we have no one else as depth.
I agree.
People underestimate the mental effects of coming in for one game and trying to do utmost best to keep the spot. It’s huge pressure. He’s the first one dropped if Darcy is ever fit. I’d rather try Amiss, Jackson, Voss with Treacy and Darcy.
It’s not like Jackson is a world beater. Voss and Treacy would smash packs and help Amiss.

If that’s the case, Treacy should’ve been delisted two years ago, he couldn’t mark consistently and was playing for Peel behind Tabs. People have short memory.

A KPF with his body and development at 21? Sign him up ASAP.
Who else we got? Corbett who’s godawful and Kuek coming off a knee? Sure

Is it just me or does Josh Corbett fit nicely into Bob Murphy’s role ( if we plan to delist him)? What the “role” is , is impossible to quantify…chief of positive vibes?🤷‍♂️

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree.
People underestimate the mental effects of coming in for one game and trying to do utmost best to keep the spot. It’s huge pressure. He’s the first one dropped if Darcy is ever fit. I’d rather try Amiss, Jackson, Voss with Treacy and Darcy.
It’s not like Jackson is a world beater. Voss and Treacy would smash packs and help Amiss.

If that’s the case, Treacy should’ve been delisted two years ago, he couldn’t mark consistently and was playing for Peel behind Tabs. People have short memory.

A KPF with his body and development at 21? Sign him up ASAP.
Who else we got? Corbett who’s godawful and Kuek coming off a knee? Sure
Voss will replace Tabs, and if his hands don’t get sticky I’m sure he could be better served in the backline at Peel.
Both Tabs and Hughes have been good servants of the club but their time is up unless we are truly that bad?
Future defence looks promising with Davies, Murphy, McDonald.
But one thing that is different under JLo is the inevitable player loss to the
Eastern states.

Most on here would’ve said he’s good depth two days ago. There’s some reactionary people on here for sure.

Honestly think we should be delisting all KPFs that aren’t best 22 or in their first season on our list. The others aren’t helping our depth at all and are old enough that’s unlikely to change as harsh as that is on someone like Kuek.
I’ve argued on here for year we are not cutting enough players at the end of each season. People get so attached to guys that are just not good enough to be long term AFL players. There has been heaps of examples of bizarre contract extensions.

Karl Worner got a 2 year deal as a rookie last year while Sam Sturt only got one year.
Hughes getting 3 years on his last deal.
Brodie signing a 4 year contract and hasn’t played a game since.
Reidy is another puzzler if reports are to be believed. Extending him again but refused to play him last week.

Players like Stanley, kuek and Corbett all need to be cleared out this off season.
It’s a deep draft and we can’t afford to be missing out on potential good players because of misplaced loyalty to rookie listed players from two or three years ago.

I’ve argued on here for year we are not cutting enough players at the end of each season. People get so attached to guys that are just not good enough to be long term AFL players. There has been heaps of examples of bizarre contract extensions.

Karl Worner got a 2 year deal as a rookie last year while Sam Sturt only got one year.
Reidy is another puzzler if reports are to be believed. Extending him again but refused to play him last week.

Players like Stanley, kuek and Corbett all need to be cleared out this off season.
It’s a deep draft and we can’t afford to be missing out on potential good players because of misplaced loyalty to rookie listed players from two or three years ago.

It's an AFL thing to hold onto solid citizens for longer than they should. Look at Tom Campbell, he was drafted in 2012 and has played a total of 58 AFL games.

The long term multi million deals aren’t getting the results either.

Why is Shai Bolton worth pick 7 alone, let alone pick 7 and pick 16 plus 1 million dollars a year.

Here are his stats, and we saw in our game he inflated them by having his team mate mark the ball (do the hard work) and do a short pass to him in the square.

His goal assists is very low. Can someone please point me towards some stats that show his value? If he was not a premiership player, then no one would talk him as much as they do.

I was expecting them to be much better, but he is a clear level behind the best Rankine and Green.

All stats are for current year, order by goals + goals assists.

I would rather through some cash at Matthew Owies, than target Bolton. You would probably get him for 500 to 600k and a 2nd rounder.

Toby Green and Izak Rankine average 3 goals and goal assists a game.
Bolton, Weightman, Owies aver 2 goals and goal assists a game.
Jones and Ginnivan averages 1.6 goals and goal assists a game.
Schultz at 1.4 (in a bad year)

KIMKHBDIGLBHHOTKRBIFCLCGFFFABRCPUPCMMI1%BOGAG+GA
Toby Green10.954.54.9515.91.851.252.20.24.51.43.750.951.756.659.50.51.20.50.051.2
3.05​
Izak Rankine11.793.366.9318.711.930.643.430.794.073.793.710.791.29109.570.141.141.641.51.07
3​
Coby Weightman6.792.793.4310.211.710.863.210.292.140.862.291.360.644.935.710.211.291.210.36
2.07​
Shai Bolton10.23.75717.21.51.22.550.43.953.353.850.60.857.310.450.451.51.52.150.55
2.05​
Matthew Owies5.712.952.718.431.380.622.290.11.570.051.240.520.573.15.380.191.050.860.050.62
2​
Jack Ginnivan10.534.216.2616.791.211.212.630.163.161.163.2110.895.3211.420.051.320.790.110.42
1.63​
Darcy Jones7.32.15.813.110.52.50.430.420.10.44.98.30.710.50.6
1.6​
Lachie Shultz6.673.115.1111.781.221.063.830.2220.782.170.610.7247.50.171.441.220.17
1.39​

Why is Shai Bolton worth pick 7 alone, let alone pick 7 and pick 16 plus 1 million dollars a year.

Here are his stats, and we saw in our game he inflated them by having his team mate mark the ball (do the hard work) and do a short pass to him in the square.

His goal assists is very low. Can someone please point me towards some stats that show his value? If he was not a premiership player, then no one would talk him as much as they do.

I was expecting them to be much better, but he is a clear level behind the best Rankine and Green.

I would rather through some cash at Matthew Owies, than target Bolton. You would probably get him for 500 to 600k and a 2nd rounder.

Toby Green10.954.54.9515.91.851.252.20.24.51.43.750.951.756.659.50.51.20.50.051.2
3.05​
Izak Rankine11.793.366.9318.711.930.643.430.794.073.793.710.791.29109.570.141.141.641.51.07
3​
Coby Weightman6.792.793.4310.211.710.863.210.292.140.862.291.360.644.935.710.211.291.210.36
2.07​
Shai Bolton10.23.75717.21.51.22.550.43.953.353.850.60.857.310.450.451.51.52.150.55
2.05​
Matthew Owies5.712.952.718.431.380.622.290.11.570.051.240.520.573.15.380.191.050.860.050.62
2​
Jack Ginnivan10.534.216.2616.791.211.212.630.163.161.163.2110.895.3211.420.051.320.790.110.42
1.63​
1.6​
Lachie Shultz6.673.115.1111.781.221.063.830.2220.782.170.610.7247.50.171.441.220.17
1.39​

Hard life for a small forward playing in terrible team. Gotta keep that in mind. Previous years suggests he’s one of the best at his craft.

Hard life for a small forward playing in terrible team. Gotta keep that in mind. Previous years suggests he’s one of the best at his craft.
Which year are you talking about?

His best year was 2022. Still only 2.5 goals and goal assist a game.

The crows are not flying this year, but Rankine finds away.

11.13​
3.17​
6.39​
17.52​
1.87​
1.78​
2.09​
0.22​
4.35​
3.61​
4.26​
0.70​
1.78​
9.17​
8.87​
0.57​
1.43​
1.48​
1.65​
0.74​

3.05​
3​
2.07​
2.05​
2​
1.63​
1.6​
1.39​

Because we are desperate for some forward half class from a small forward. Below are his goals scoredin the last 4 seasons:

2021: 23
2022: 43
2023: 31
2024: 30

Sam Switkowski:
2021: 9
2022: 11
2023: 16
2024: 10

Our window to win a flag is open and if we can bring in an elite goal kicking small forward you just get it done.

Which year are you talking about?

His best year was 2022. Still only 2.5 goals and goal assist a game.

The crows are not flying this year, but Rankine finds away.

11.13​
3.17​
6.39​
17.52​
1.87​
1.78​
2.09​
0.22​
4.35​
3.61​
4.26​
0.70​
1.78​
9.17​
8.87​
0.57​
1.43​
1.48​
1.65​
0.74​

We can't get Rankine, that doesn't mean Bolton won't be a massive upgrade on our current small forwards.

Because we are desperate for some forward half class from a small forward. Below are his goals scoredin the last 4 seasons:

2021: 23
2022: 43
2023: 31
2024: 30

Sam Switkowski:
2021: 9
2022: 11
2023: 16
2024: 10

Our window to win a flag is open and if we can bring in an elite goal kicking small forward you just get it done.

Being desperate does not mean you massively overpay.

This is old fremantle, where we would over pay for someone and then wonder why Lobb is playing for our side.

We need to be smart.

3.05​
3​
2.07​
2.05​
2​
1.63​
1.6​
1.39​
There is a difference in value between contracted and uncontracted players.

Thing is though some fans seem to think the difference is far greater than it actually is. A contracted player is not worth double what an uncontracted player is.

The only difference between contracted and uncontracted players is which team has the right to pull out if one of the teams is unreasonable. It results in slightly but not massively different trade valuations. Most trades are within 10% of whatever fair is IMO no matter what a players contract status is.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back