Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Far out for some reason I was thinking of Owens from St Kilda. I had no idea what people were on about haha.

Yes, Bolton is much better than Owies from Carlton. Owies would not improve us - he's a slightly better but much older Emmett. Small forwards and one more A Grade mid are what will hold back Carlton just like us - We have the same problems as they do tbh.

Being desperate does not mean you massively overpay.

This is old fremantle, where we would over pay for someone and then wonder why Lobb is playing for our side.

We need to be smart.

You shit your pants at the thought of a trade. It’s getting old.

We have three vastly inferior small forwards in Emmett, Switkowski and Frederick who barely cover Bolton goal tally between them and the decaying corpse of Michael Walters.

This argument is inane

Why is Shai Bolton worth pick 7 alone, let alone pick 7 and pick 16 plus 1 million dollars a year.

Here are his stats, and we saw in our game he inflated them by having his team mate mark the ball (do the hard work) and do a short pass to him in the square.

His goal assists is very low. Can someone please point me towards some stats that show his value? If he was not a premiership player, then no one would talk him as much as they do.

I was expecting them to be much better, but he is a clear level behind the best Rankine and Green.

All stats are for current year, order by goals + goals assists.

I would rather through some cash at Matthew Owies, than target Bolton. You would probably get him for 500 to 600k and a 2nd rounder.

Toby Green and Izak Rankine average 3 goals and goal assists a game.
Bolton, Weightman, Owies aver 2 goals and goal assists a game.
Jones and Ginnivan averages 1.6 goals and goal assists a game.
Schultz at 1.4 (in a bad year)

KIMKHBDIGLBHHOTKRBIFCLCGFFFABRCPUPCMMI1%BOGAG+GA
Toby Green10.954.54.9515.91.851.252.20.24.51.43.750.951.756.659.50.51.20.50.051.2
3.05​
Izak Rankine11.793.366.9318.711.930.643.430.794.073.793.710.791.29109.570.141.141.641.51.07
3​
Coby Weightman6.792.793.4310.211.710.863.210.292.140.862.291.360.644.935.710.211.291.210.36
2.07​
Shai Bolton10.23.75717.21.51.22.550.43.953.353.850.60.857.310.450.451.51.52.150.55
2.05​
Matthew Owies5.712.952.718.431.380.622.290.11.570.051.240.520.573.15.380.191.050.860.050.62
2​
Jack Ginnivan10.534.216.2616.791.211.212.630.163.161.163.2110.895.3211.420.051.320.790.110.42
1.63​
Darcy Jones7.32.15.813.110.52.50.430.420.10.44.98.30.710.50.6
1.6​
Lachie Shultz6.673.115.1111.781.221.063.830.2220.782.170.610.7247.50.171.441.220.17
1.39​
I think you're doing a version of what 1 of the Richmond fans was doing on the Bolton thread in taking stats out of context. There's a post that goes (now outdated stats) "players who've averaged 17.5 touches 1.5 goals 3.5 clearances: Bolton Warner Rankine" making it out like Shai Bolton is a unique specimen. Those stats are related to where he plays positionally and in terms of quality of team. There's about 10 other players in the AFL that I think could easily have those stats or better if you either increase their midfield time or fwd time to match Bolton's: guys like Papley, Greene, Bont, Petracca, etc.

But equally, your own stats are also fairly selectively used. After Rankine, there's nobody else on that list who's close to Bolton clearance wise. That's coz Bolton's attended 55% of centre bounces for his team this season. Even Rankine's only averaged 39%, nobody else on your list has significant CBA%, and Stringer and Pickett are probably the only other significant goalscorers this year with high-ish CBA% (over 30%).

The other context is that we're talking about a player playing for the clear worst offensive team (and the worst team in general) in the league. Nobody else on Shai's team has kicked 20 this year, and he also leads his team for total score involvements and goal assists (there are players averaging more, but who haven't played as much, largely due to injury). He's naturally getting a level of attention that really only Rankine on that list gets (even he has more real teammates fwd of centre than Bolton does). You need to give him someone to play off of and increase his fwd time to make it a more apples-to-apples comparison: I don't think it's a coincidence that he had his best season of the last 3 when he had Lynch in particular to play off, and his worst season when he had nothing.

What you're paying for is attributes, and then it's the players' and coaches' jobs to turn attributes into production. How many players have the combo of what Shai Bolton does in terms of ground level work, speed, skill, leads, fwd craft and X factor? Hell, Michael Frederick isn't half the player Shai is and he's become a source of annoyance in the fact he's plateaued these past couple years, but especially when you watch live you can see the amount of headaches he causes a defence with his unique attributes. You can't ever let Freddy get close to goal side or you're ****ed, and if he gets ahead of you and is spotted on the lead you just gotta pray to Jesus he drops the mark or misses.

I don't think Shai is quite as unique as Richmond fans are making him out to be, but he's a whole lot better than "if him and Owies are both on the table, go Owies to save some coin" level.

Worth considering that having Bolton in the forward line with Freddy would stretch a team's ability to cover both of them on the charge back to goal. Frederick is a key player in Freo ball movement that leads to score, I think you can all picture him marking in the centre square and then driving it long to Treacy.

With two of them there won't be as much ability to hold space. We only have one Brandon Walker, imagine if we came up against a side with two speedy smalls that can mark high.

Cmon, if you have watched them both play you would know which one out of Bolton and Owies is better. It's actually not even close.

I think he's worth the Pies pick so pick 7 and maybe the saints second rounder (pick 24?). Would be very happy to get it done and increase our chances of winning a flag.

I'd be happy with that.

Then look to maybe trade our pick or the Port pick for a future first so that we have 2 x firsts next year as leverage for Warner.

I'd be happy with that.

Then look to maybe trade our pick or the Port pick for a future first so that we have 2 x firsts next year as leverage for Warner.
I've cooled on trading forward. They are bringing in the trading 2 x F1s so no need for Warner. Reckon we are better just using the pick this year (assuming we trade 2).

I've cooled on trading forward. They are bringing in the trading 2 x F1s so no need for Warner. Reckon we are better just using the pick this year (assuming we trade 2).

The death ride with a future first is fun though. Has made every Collingwood loss this year even more enjoyable.

The death ride with a future first is fun though. Has made every Collingwood loss this year even more enjoyable.
Samuel L Jackson Point GIF by The Academy Awards

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Far out for some reason I was thinking of Owens from St Kilda. I had no idea what people were on about haha.

Yes, Bolton is much better than Owies from Carlton. Owies would not improve us - he's a slightly better but much older Emmett. Small forwards and one more A Grade mid are what will hold back Carlton just like us - We have the same problems as they do tbh.
Carlton also have a crap backline so we have them covered.

Chasing Owies would be like trying to pry Tabs out of Freo three years ago. Given all the opportunity in a side screaming out for a small forward and barely making the grade.

Carlton also have a crap backline so we have them covered.

Chasing Owies would be like trying to pry Tabs out of Freo three years ago. Given all the opportunity in a side screaming out for a small forward and barely making the grade.
I honestly think a second KPD that's not an absolute hack or undersized would just about fix their backline.

Last edited:
Draper has a lot of Michael Johnson about the way he plays, it's definitely worth keeping him around for the long term future.

So we keep losing close games & there is debate over Bolton’s worth?

We don’t have match winners with big game experience, Bolton is that player. He may have quiet games, he might kick a few points but he can impact in the middle & forward & will compliment our team of hard workers.

He lifts blokes around him & frees up others because opposition will put their best small defender on him & he’ll draw defenders to him.

If he wants to come home, we get him here. Let’s see what he can do in front of family & friends. He looked good at home against us.

Worth considering that having Bolton in the forward line with Freddy would stretch a team's ability to cover both of them on the charge back to goal. Frederick is a key player in Freo ball movement that leads to score, I think you can all picture him marking in the centre square and then driving it long to Treacy.

With two of them there won't be as much ability to hold space. We only have one Brandon Walker, imagine if we came up against a side with two speedy smalls that can mark high.
Yeah this will be biggest reason to get Bolten as much as his actual output

I don’t think people realise just how much havoc Bolten will cause oppo coaches and defences just by being in our side and playing that type of role for us
- it’s the flow on effect that will make all our other fwds become that much more dangerous

Yeah this will be biggest reason to get Bolten as much as his actual output

I don’t think people realise just how much havoc Bolten will cause oppo coaches and defences just by being in our side and playing that type of role for us
- it’s the flow on effect that will make all our other fwds become that much more dangerous
Not just Bolton, have Switta & Freddie in the team too and that is a lot of pace forward of centre.

Judge small forwards on the quality of the tall forward's ability to bring the ball to ground and their midfield's ability to get it inside fifty.

Carlton arguably two of the better talls, midfield delivers it plenty. Owies
Richmond playing international rookies as their tall forwards, midfield VFL level most of the year. Bolton

Melbourne with warm bodies and a game plan designed to bring to grass and mids who bomb it in. Pickett

Add Bolton to the 2025 Treacy/Amiss/Jackson all another year in the gym and fitness building with our already quite good midfield putting it inside fifty. Perfect fit.

Literally a season where we are missing on top 4 because we are slightly not good enough when it counts. We've lost how many games by less than two goals?

Kids aren't making a difference. 100 game players that elevate our floor and ceiling are what's needed.

I know it's been a gut punch of a season at the moment but we are "this" close.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back