• Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we need better wingmen??
Our gameplan of run and gun via high use of handballs from the back half (when we are in form) is hampered by having C grade guys on the wings.
We have got million dollar midfielders dishing the ball out to sharp and Banfield who are on minimum chips and not in the elite class of wingmen in the comp. Haven’t been impressed by any of our wingers in recent weeks - they are frequently in our bottom 4 or 5 players.

I would love to see what Brad Hill or someone of that talent level could offer instead of Sharp/Jom/banfield in this freo side.

Now that I mention it, I can’t think of too many premiers recently that didn’t have one elite Wingman. J Daicos, Isaac smith, even Ed Langdon. Maybe Richmond but they did have Dusty.

While we're at it though, I find it interesting how Darcy is unprofessional and a liability because of his injuries and unavailability but no one's having the same discussion about Cox. Both have played the same amount of games over the past two season. Go back even further to the past four seasons and Darcy has played 5 more games.
I find it funnier that the solution to us losing because Darcy isn’t playing is to trade him. So we can lose without an A grade ruck and hope our two zero gamers turn into another Meek.

Jackson seems to get off Scott free in these scenario’s. If he was rucking better, we would be fine. Or maybe if we actually tried one of our two backups and they performed, it would be different too.

Or if we scored a few more goals over the last few weeks the pile on wouldn’t happen.

Our gameplan of run and gun via high use of handballs from the back half (when we are in form) is hampered by having C grade guys on the wings.
We have got million dollar midfielders dishing the ball out to sharp and Banfield who are on minimum chips and not in the elite class of wingmen in the comp. Haven’t been impressed by any of our wingers in recent weeks - they are frequently in our bottom 4 or 5 players.

I would love to see what Brad Hill or someone of that talent level could offer instead of Sharp/Jom/banfield in this freo side.

Now that I mention it, I can’t think of too many premiers recently that didn’t have one elite Wingman. J Daicos, Isaac smith, even Ed Langdon. Maybe Richmond but they did have Dusty.

Sharp is fine. The issue is getting the ball out to him. You can see when you are at the game that he is getting into space and presenting but is not getting the ball kicked to him. Either we are going too slow off half-back or we are trying to go up the middle and going out wide is counter productive. The way we play the wingers are not going to have the kind of impact and numbers that other teams will have.

I find it funnier that the solution to us losing because Darcy isn’t playing is to trade him. So we can lose without an A grade ruck and hope our two zero gamers turn into another Meek.

Jackson seems to get off Scott free in these scenario’s. If he was rucking better, we would be fine. Or maybe if we actually tried one of our two backups and they performed, it would be different too.

Or if we scored a few more goals over the last few weeks the pile on wouldn’t happen.
I am sick of Jackson jumping early in ruck contests and aerial contests in general. He needs to sort out his timing and stop double grabbing marks. Still young, but needs to go to the Josh Treacy school of harden the heck up!

Last edited:
While we're at it though, I find it interesting how Darcy is unprofessional and a liability because of his injuries and unavailability but no one's having the same discussion about Cox. Both have played the same amount of games over the past two season. Go back even further to the past four seasons and Darcy has played 5 more games.
Be nice if we could get his knee right. Just seems to go from one knee injury to another.

Nick Martin

So if theoretically, hasleby’s latest brainwave were to happen.

(Sign English, trade onions).

Could that give us enough for Bolton and Pickett? (Warner next year).

🤔🤔
God that's awful. The reason Darcy going down is a problem is because, contrary to some opinion, Jackson is largely terrible in the ruck. He excels against a certain few and is basically a witches hat against the rest.

English is a witches hat against everyone in the ruck. He got toweled up by RoB on the weekend. His appeal is the around the ground stuff.

IMO the recurring injuries to Darcy are due to playing him too soon when he’s underdone, this is 100% on the MC refusing to play Reidy instead and letting Darcy have a decent chance of getting fit, instead they rush him back ASAP because Jackson isn’t a #1 ruck. Playing Voss as second ruck just confirmed that they have some mental block when it comes to playing Reidy and it’s derailed our season.

IMO the recurring injuries to Darcy are due to playing him too soon when he’s underdone, this is 100% on the MC refusing to play Reidy instead and letting Darcy have a decent chance of getting fit, instead they rush him back ASAP because Jackson isn’t a #1 ruck. Playing Voss as second ruck just confirmed that they have some mental block when it comes to playing Reidy and it’s derailed our season.
This wouldn’t look so bad if we cut Reidy. Instead we sign him for a year.
Is that in case some other club has shown interest?
Or is that interest in Knobel?
Freo’s track record with Meek and how we rated his ceiling only highlights the
mistake, and that some talls take more time.
That we misread Jackson’s ruck abilities, and where he can shine for us.
Hawthorn must love trading with us, after giving them Hodge, then the Croad
fiasco, the Meek trade will be the trifecta.
The Meek vs Darcy debate the gift that could keep giving for years.

Stanley is worth persevering with, still only young and has had plenty of injury interruptions this season. Guarantee hawks pick him up if we delist him and will turn into a gun for them.

I bet they don’t. Though he showed something in the VFL. They didn’t pick him with their 1st mid season pick. They don’t rate him that highly, if anything he’s shown he’s injury prone. Hardly lit up the WAFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's because he is too fat, thats all it comes down to.

On footywire his listed weight is 111kg, i would imagine he is probably more. Thats a lot of weight to be carrying around and a lot of force on the knees and ankles every time he runs and lands.

Blind freddy could see the reason Fyfe has had a great run injury wise this season is because he has trimmed down. Darcy needs to do the same.

The issue is the opposite side to Sharp, those players are not AFL wingmen.

Easy to kick a player when they are injured hey?

Easy to kick a player when they are injured hey?
Not my intention, if anything it is to kick the club.
Injuries occur and it’s how you manage that, develop others that
keep you in the game.
If anything I thought I would’ve got flak for Jackson?
Sure Reidy may have cost us short term, the long term benefit is that Darcy
has more time to recover.

I still think we need Reidy and Knobel. The match committee just needs to pick them when there is an injury.

No point trading them now when we have put two years worth of development in and we have good ruck cover.

We are never going to get value from the ruck merry go round but something is better than nothing and occasionally we might have a big win. The one thing you never do is trade the better player on the hope the young kid goes past them. We did this with Acres and it backfired.

Meek is doing well this year but trading him was the correct call and he would have walked anyway at the end of last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back