Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

If those stats were over 6 or 7 years you could say he was good. But those 173 goals and 125 games took 12 seasons of football to achieve. The fact he couldn't stay on the park hurt the side immensely when trying to build a competent and consistent forward line.
Blame the list management. Treacy, Amiss and Jackson is probably the most talented young forward line the club has ever had in 30 years. That’s an indictment

I wonder how many games Tabs played in the same side as Pav. That would have been a huge handicap given the Pav centric setup of the forward line in those days.

If my numbers are right then Pav and Tabs played 37 games together with Tabs kicking 30 goals in that time - interesting to note that during the last season (2016) where Tabs played 14 games for 11 goals with Pav in the team - the round 12 game that year that Pavlich didn't play against the Lions was where Taberner kicked five goals.

So I think you're spot on. Pavlich did tend to focus our attack through him.

Taberner may not be much use anymore but to say he stole a career and wasted a list spot is ridiculous, he had his limits, but we used those limits to the best of his ability, when he managed to stay on the park he was a solid to good key forward, injuries definitely plagued him especially in 2018 and 2019, I felt like he was poised for something good in those years but injuries were cruel.

Should he be playing nowadays? Not at all, but to say he was bad is objectively false, who would you have preferred? Shane Kersten?

Taberner may not be much use anymore but to say he stole a career and wasted a list spot is ridiculous, he had his limits, but we used those limits to the best of his ability, when he managed to stay on the park he was a solid to good key forward, injuries definitely plagued him especially in 2018 and 2019, I felt like he was poised for something good in those years but injuries were cruel.

Should he be playing nowadays? Not at all, but to say he was bad is objectively false, who would you have preferred? Shane Kersten?
Lol. We actually preferred Kersten for a bit there. Took us twelve months to turn him into a defender.

Lol. We actually preferred Kersten for a bit there. Took us twelve months to turn him into a defender.
Kersten went okay in his first season, but for some reason we decided we only need two key forwards with McCarthy and Kersten instead of running 3 talls with Taberner with them, I think they probably would have done okay.

Kersten went okay in his first season, but for some reason we decided we only need two key forwards with McCarthy and Kersten instead of running 3 talls with Taberner with them, I think they probably would have done okay.

We probably needed a second ruck option in the team and at the time Kersten, Taberner and whoever the second ruck was probably seemed like too many talls when tbh our smaller players were better.

We probably needed a second ruck option in the team and at the time Kersten, Taberner and whoever the second ruck was probably seemed like too many talls when tbh our smaller players were better.

Kersten's first season at Freo (2017):
Sandilands, Clarke, Darcy, Griffin, Apeness, Strnadica

2018:
Sandilands, Jones, Darcy, Apeness, Meek, Strnadica

2019:
Sandilands, Lobb, Jones, Darcy, Meek

Sign until 2030 and suddenly you’re back on the trade table apparently.

Are people forgetting that the reason they’re signed so long is because they’re really good players? And that maybe the reason we’re not getting the most of them this year is because they missed a good chunk of the past year recovering from injuries and surgery?

Only a matter of time before we’re trading out Treacy because of his injuries.
Also creates a strong impression that your contract means nothing to the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also creates a strong impression that your contract means nothing to the club.
Long term contracts are designed for :

1) Stability to the player and the club
2) Ability to allow for up and coming TPP increases
3) Protect the club in the event that the player is traded out early so they get fair compensation (ie Barrass, Bolton)

Long term contracts are designed for :

1) Stability to the player and the club
2) Ability to allow for up and coming TPP increases
3) Protect the club in the event that the player is traded out early so they get fair compensation (ie Barrass, Bolton)

Sometimes the opposite of 3 happens if the player has underperformed. We’re not even close to therewith Darcy but just saying.

i just assumed they gave Tabs a farewell game last week for his years of service. Not sure why we are debating on whether he should have ever been drafted or played a game for Freo. We now have the most talented set of 3 tall forwards in our history and all around 21yo. Thanks Tabs, now enjoy retirement and take care of those discs in your back.

i just assumed they gave Tabs a farewell game last week for his years of service. Not sure why we are debating on whether he should have ever been drafted or played a game for Freo. We now have the most talented set of 3 tall forwards in our history and all around 21yo. Thanks Tabs, now enjoy retirement and take care of those discs in your back.
He was a transition KPF make no mistake but by cripes he gave us hope and something to cheer for in a rather bleak time. I still have my Tab on a Crab Carlton Draft shirt, he was a cult hero whilst we restumped, realised that was a croc and then properly rebuilt.

I hope he gets what he needs from the remainder of his career and retirement. Hopefully he can be a part of a Peel Premiership this season to cap off his career. If he continues on then I can absolutely see him working with Voss on his contested marking and giving him confidence by his own example that he can take the next step.

I'll take off my Freo hat for a moment. Bolton is taking the absolute piss with his upcoming trade request. 4 years still on his contract and he wants out? This isn't good for the competition in my opinion.
Also wasn’t the extension signed last year? Like he already had a young family and I’m sure would’ve taken into account growing his family sometime in the next 6 years. To then turn around and say you need family support when that was something you should have considered when signing the last contract is a big cop out.

Seems like there’s a lot of players signing these long term contracts and then wanting out. They don’t mean much these days

I'll take off my Freo hat for a moment. Bolton is taking the absolute piss with his upcoming trade request. 4 years still on his contract and he wants out? This isn't good for the competition in my opinion.

Two children without your mum around to help, because your partner is a 24/7 athlete who needs to prioritize themselves, is really difficult. I understand why they would want to come home.

Two children without your mum around to help, because your partner is a 24/7 athlete who needs to prioritize themselves, is really difficult. I understand why they would want to come home.

So what? He entered into a legal contract and the ink is barely ****ing dry.

Imagine if Bolton had to work a 8-5 Monday to Friday job for minimum chips. I bet he'd find that real difficult.

You don't even need to earn Free Agency status anymore. Everyone is practically a FA now.

Imagine if Bolton had to work a 8-5 Monday to Friday job for minimum chips. I bet he'd find that real difficult.

You don't even need to earn Free Agency status anymore. Everyone is practically a FA now.

Do you think Richmond will let him go? Is it possible that Richmond list management let it be known that they wanted to rebuild pretty hard before they run out of opportunity as Tasmania and AFL20 take all the talent?

It's not like Richmond can come out early in a new coach's career and tell their members not to bother showing up.

Club can always make him stay.
It’s been done before: Papley, Luke Parker spring to mind.

I also think Richmond are quite aware of where they are, and bringing guys through at the same time like we and Hawthorn have done is quite handy.

They will be willing participants to this not anguished bystanders

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back