Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

As much as I’d love to draft some kids this year every fan is getting impatient as we see after every loss. No kid this year will help us win a flag in the next 2 years which every fan wants. Bolton and baker are our best chance at doing that and hopefully can add some depth guys like cumming

As much as I’d love to draft some kids this year every fan is getting impatient as we see after every loss. No kid this year will help us win a flag in the next 2 years which every fan wants. Bolton and baker are our best chance at doing that and hopefully can add some depth guys like cumming

We are in such a unique position, we have a squad that is good enough to be competing for a flag AND 3 first round draft picks. It would be such an incredible waste if we went to the draft with all 3.

Should add that the core of our squad are all super young, makes no sense not to be using the draft capital on trading in established players.

Last edited:

The only thing you need to ask is which decision will get us closer to a flag?

Which decision gives us the best chance of a sustained top 4 run?

Fan can be inpatient, list manager can't afford to be. They need to know the list back to front, and know when we are truly ready to top up and when we need to hit the draft.

With 4 top 25 picks, we can do some of each but I want us to use two top 25 picks this year in the draft. We will probably end up with 13 and a 1/2 wins this years, which is 7th to 8th most years.

PS - still in love with Winder. Who mentioned we were talking to people from South's ?? (Edit: Found it) Hopefully we are still taking to them.

Sherriff Incorporated - Do have any news?

Last edited:

Closer to a Flag?

If prime years of AFL footy are between twenty four and twenty nine then that's our window. Five years of career where our players perform their best, and overlapping as many of these players as we can will lead to best results.

Current squad profile has sixteen players between twenty four and under thirty, but this includes Hughes, Aish, McDonald, Corbett, Brodie and Reidy who aren't best twenty three players currently.

Players in that window are Alex Pearce, Luke Ryan, Sam Switkowski, Corey Wagner, Bailey Banfield, Sean Darcy, Brennan Cox, Andrew Brayshaw, Sam Sturt and Michael Frederick.

Next season we gain Jordan Clark, Caleb Serong, Hayden Young, Jeremy Sharp and Luke Jackson and don't lose any key players off the top end.

In 2026 we have Alex Pearce and Luke Ryan falling off the top end, with Pearce also out of contract. Josh Treacy, Heath Chapman and Nathan O'Driscoll coming into that window.

If you can draft players who will impact in the next two years, then that would be preferable.

Alternatively, trading for players who are ready to go in 2025 and 2026 and potentially onward if they also fit within the early part of the twenty four to twenty nine years old window would make our current group better.

Chad Warner enters the window in 2025.
Shai Bolton entered the window last season.
Liam Baker entered the window two seasons ago.

Players won't become consistent AFL players until they have around fifty games or four years on the list. Anyone drafted shouldn't be expected to be a reliable AFL player, outside of a small forward or a half back in my opinion.

If you're building your team around Alex Pearce then you have next year and the year after, maybe the year or two after that so securing any talent that can contribute for four seasons would fit the goal of a flag.

You've got a year of Fyfe left contracted. May as well hit 2025 hard.

Surprising that people still believe this to be true

Neale saw more in Brissy than money, he has been proven right, we made finals once in the time he has left, he has challenged every year, made a GF and come away with 2x brownlow medals

Bells "Feather" was to dump a bag of money in Neale's lap, it didn't work, he had his eyes set on other things.
Nup, it was all coin. His wife told my daughter several months earlier that they were going to Brisbane and it was for the big money.

Pretty sure Neale was on particularly low money by the time the end of his contract was approaching.
You could say, well he signed it, but it goes a bit both ways - we could have approached his manager and said “Hey Lachie - you’re performing way above your pay grade, how about we restructure and extend your contract to factor in your improvement.” This is what we did with Treacy recently.

Back then Bell and co thought it was clever cap management to have players on way unders - not factoring the inevitable whispers in the ears from other clubs. But yeah, from all reports there was other cultural stuff at play around that time as well.
You’re making the guy look like a saint.
His pimp went and found a club willing to fork out huge coin.
The front loading got it done and of course as soon as that was expiring his pimp fed out stories about his wife wanting to return home for support with children. Lo and behold the wife didn’t need the family support as soon as Brisbane found the extra money to reinstate the Front loaded amount.

Last edited:
You’re making the guy look like a saint.
His pimp went and found a club willing to fork out huge coin.
The front loading got it done and of course as soon as that was expiring his pimp fed out stories about his wife wanting to return home for support with children. Lo and behold the wife didn’t need the family support as soon as Brisbane found the extra money to reinstate the Front loaded amount.

I said very little about Neale's moral worth in my post - the post was entirely about the club being proactive about keeping talent.

But if you want to go there - yes, I can understand why Neale and his manager would end up looking over the fence when he's busting a gut every week, getting paid way unders, and there's blokes in the team taking the piss when it comes to professionalism - as there was at the time.

I said very little about Neale's moral worth in my post - the post was entirely about the club being proactive about keeping talent.

But if you want to go there - yes, I can understand why Neale and his manager would end up looking over the fence when he's busting a gut every week, getting paid way unders, and there's blokes in the team taking the piss when it comes to professionalism - as there was at the time.
I dare say if we were as stringent on our "No d1(khead" policy then as we are now, we might still have had Lachie.

Caveat being we would have to be paying him what he was quite clearly worth.

I hold no ill will towards Lachie, he went where he was quite clearly valued and I don't really want to dwell on what the team lineup might have looked like if he'd stayed.

I dare say if we were as stringent on our "No d1(khead" policy then as we are now, we might still have had Lachie.

Caveat being we would have to be paying him what he was quite clearly worth.

I hold no ill will towards Lachie, he went where he was quite clearly valued and I don't really want to dwell on what the team lineup might have looked like if he'd stayed.

Yeah I'm slightly weary of even contributing to the Neale discussion - that whole Neale/Hogan restump era has been done to death on here - and that path, warts and all, has lead us to where we are, which is a place I'm pretty happy with (potential looming disappointment with the end of this season acknowledged).

I guess my point was the interplay between contracts, clubs, players and agents is a pretty complex palette and it's usually never as black and white as player x is a mercenary etc.

Kirsten and McCarthy were more mediums rather than proper talls were they not?
Kersten and McCarthy were definitely more medium type forwards, I always saw McCarthy as a third tall, however due to Apeness being consistently injured and Lyon's refusal to play Taberner in 2017, Kersten and McCarthy were our two key forwards by default.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want to be excited for trade period but I really really want us scraping into finals however we can. Feels a bit bleh if we cant get there
Stuff that, I want us to charge into the Top 4 on the back of 2 big wins and play the Swans week 1.

Personally I think the AFL and probably Australian sport in general and it's fans need to grow up a little bit.

Players getting transferred mid contract in most other major sports is just normal. It probably is in the AFL tbf but fans seem to think it shouldn't be. Why exactly?
The difference is players have no say where they go in other sports/leagues. In the AFL the player basically has 100% control over being traded. If it went both ways and clubs could trade whoever they wanted at any time it would be different.

The difference is players have no say where they go in other sports/leagues. In the AFL the player basically has 100% control over being traded. If it went both ways and clubs could trade whoever they wanted at any time it would be different.

There's no go home factor in England. Everyone hates their home towns as much as they hate the town down the road. Gloucester = shithole but better than that shithole Cheltenham etc. Probably because they all look the same. Gray with a crowd outside the pharmacy on a Thursday waiting for their methodone.

I'm more a fan of the big European football leagues than American sports tbh.

Good players don't generally come out of contract (occasionally it happens - see Messi few years ago) but players force transfers all the time. I've seen players ask for a transfer, sign a new contract after it doesn't happen and then get transferred a year later. Not sure anyone really thought much of it either.

It's a different environment and we're heading imo even if we're ten years behind. Got to get used to it.

There's no go home factor in England. Everyone hates their home towns as much as they hate the town down the road. Gloucester = shithole but better than that shithole Cheltenham etc. Probably because they all look the same. Gray with a crowd outside the pharmacy on a Thursday waiting for their methodone.
AFL players are a bit unprofessional when it comes to this. Plenty of regular people have to move to other states for work. They need to stop being entitled babies and put on the big boy pants. There are sacrifices in life for everybody. You want to live out your dream and play sport at the highest level well this is one of them.

I'm more a fan of the big European football leagues than American sports tbh.

Good players don't generally come out of contract (occasionally it happens - see Messi few years ago) but players force transfers all the time. I've seen players ask for a transfer, sign a new contract after it doesn't happen and then get transferred a year later. Not sure anyone really thought much of it either.

It's a different environment and we're heading imo even if we're ten years behind. Got to get used to it.
But European football is a bit of a joke when you consider that realistically in the top leagues it's just the same huge clubs year after year who have any real chance of winning anything. And so that's where all the best players end up, No parity, salary caps or draft so it's a bit of a free for all.

Of course go home factor is going to be more important the less you earn. Why bother even comparing to other sports. People are much more likely to live away from friends and family when they’re getting paid tens of millions a year compared to hundreds of thousands.

Not to mention the UK is as big as Victoria. Can’t complain of being homesick when the furthest city is an hour flight away.

Wouldn’t be against signing Luke Parker for a year or two.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back