Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

But European football is a bit of a joke when you consider that realistically in the top leagues it's just the same huge clubs year after year who have any real chance of winning anything. And so that's where all the best players end up, No parity, salary caps or draft so it's a bit of a free for all.

I really don’t think it’s about where players are going when talking about AFL tbh. I will admit that they’re completely different environments and I think that creates some differences.

But I think the concept that a contract for x amount of years means you’ll play for a team for x amount years will soon be an outdated concept and realistically for clubs and players that is already recognised . Fans and media are probably 3-5 years behind seeing what’s happening naturally.

Longer term contracts in AFL have become more normal imo. I’ve seen in European football where it increases a player’s value and also where a contract of an underperforming players completely devalues them. We’ll see less and less uncontracted players moving clubs via trades and most out of contract players will be fringe players and/or guys about to be delisted anyway. Maybe free agency will stop that.

We’re almost at a point where we’re trying to find a medium between the system in American sports and the system in European football IMO. Things will change and they’ll be a bit from each system as we’re 10-15 years behind these sports in working out what’s best for the AFL.

A little birdy tells me the reason Bob Murphy is leaving Freo is because of who we are bringing in on trade.
It seems none other than the Bont & his partner are looking to make a life in the West.
Watch this space.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Quick, add the Bont to the poll. I want to change my vote.

A little birdy tells me the reason Bob Murphy is leaving Freo is because of who we are bringing in on trade.
It seems none other than the Bont & his partner are looking to make a life in the West.
Watch this space.

That is seriously the biggest rumour-mongering ever... There is no way..

Of course go home factor is going to be more important the less you earn. Why bother even comparing to other sports. People are much more likely to live away from friends and family when they’re getting paid tens of millions a year compared to hundreds of thousands.

Not to mention the UK is as big as Victoria. Can’t complain of being homesick when the furthest city is an hour flight away.

Or 5 hours and considerably pricier with multiple changes via train because UK.

I really don’t think it’s about where players are going when talking about AFL tbh. I will admit that they’re completely different environments and I think that creates some differences.

But I think the concept that a contract for x amount of years means you’ll play for a team for x amount years will soon be an outdated concept and realistically for clubs and players that is already recognised . Fans and media are probably 3-5 years behind seeing what’s happening naturally.

Longer term contracts in AFL have become more normal imo. I’ve seen in European football where it increases a player’s value and also where a contract of an underperforming players completely devalues them. We’ll see less and less uncontracted players moving clubs via trades and most out of contract players will be fringe players and/or guys about to be delisted anyway. Maybe free agency will stop that.

We’re almost at a point where we’re trying to find a medium between the system in American sports and the system in European football IMO. Things will change and they’ll be a bit from each system as we’re 10-15 years behind these sports in working out what’s best for the AFL.
Some good points. Just very different systems to compare. Transfers in football are usually teams just straight up buying players where in the AFL it's all about trading assets(mostly draft picks but occasionally player swaps).

Some good points. Just very different systems to compare. Transfers in football are usually teams just straight up buying players where in the AFL it's all about trading assets(mostly draft picks but occasionally player swaps).

There’s no draft picks in association football so the transfer system can never be the same.

Contracts can work in a similar way tbh. Players with one or less years left often get sold for less money than players with heaps of years left. Difference is seeing players everyone knows won’t stay signing long term deals and leaving 12-24 months later isn’t uncommon. It benefits the players current club whilst I believe players get a cut of the transfer fee so increasing their sale price also benefits them.

I don’t think we’re too far off players re-signing for 4-5 years and leaving after 1-3 years happening quite regularly tbh. I also don’t think the league would be any worse off for it - people will complain though.

Watch this space.

So what I'm hearing is that now Heppel has retired we've shifted our sights on to Bont to fill that role? I look forward to seeing a Bont option in every List management and trade thread from this year until he retires now :thumbsu:

So what I'm hearing is that now Heppel has retired we've shifted our sights on to Bont to fill that role? I look forward to seeing a Bont option in every List management and trade thread from this year until he retires now :thumbsu:
I would prefer we target Collingwood future first.

Surely this should be added as well

Watch this space.

Brady Bunch K GIF

Wouldn’t be against signing Luke Parker for a year or two.
Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

High risk, high reward. Wouldn’t be expensive and would provide good leadership to young fwd line.

Imagine injecting Bolton, Baker and Parker to our fwd line.
You want to play him forward? He's been a very good player, but he's a mile off the type of forward we need.

We have 3 keys and Sturt at 190cm, we don't need any more marking power, which is what he brings. We need speed, pressure and ground level stuff.

Our bottom 5 players are shit, and we are looking at trading away multiple picks for one player.

We need 3 or 4 more players, not 1.

If Banfield was replaced by Bolton or Warner I think we win that game.

He fumbled and if he didn't fumble he didn't hand it off clean, except that one to Frederick requiring him to create some agility magic to get onto his right foot.

How does a pair of second round picks help the land Locosius? They need a decent pick for Houston to even start considering tempting GC

I think most of us think Lukosius will be a better player at another club but I’m honestly not sure what he’s done to be worth any more than that?

He fumbled and if he didn't fumble he didn't hand it off clean, except that one to Frederick requiring him to create some agility magic to get onto his right foot.

Although his handball to Jackson was elite, timed it perfectly just for Jackson to get run down. Brilliant banners

We win the last 3.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back