Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

With Banners , the correlation between his drop in form is changed role to the start of year. Reverting to playing predominantly in fwd line or very little stints on the wing.

Hope he builds his tank more so he is given more wing time next year if he stays

Playing predominantly deep fwd or third tall is not it. Not kicking goals recently playing fwd adds to his frustration

I would bet that Banfield is in the team for Round 1 next year, as per 5 of his 6 years on the list. The only time he missed was when he was injured against WC in a pre-season match. Every year we always talk about how he will be replaced and relegated to the WAFL, only to see him lining up in the season opener. Free pearls for everybody!

With Banners , the correlation between his drop in form is changed role to the start of year. Reverting to playing predominantly in fwd line or very little stints on the wing.

Hope he builds his tank more so he is given more wing time next year if he stays

Playing predominantly deep fwd or third tall is not it. Not kicking goals recently playing fwd adds to his frustration

When he was in form he was nailing his snaps & set shots and handling the ball a lot cleaner.
People talk about us wilting under pressure & heā€™s been the main culprit.

Top of head. This is my thoughts with best 22.

Definite - Pearce, Clark, Chapman, Ryan, Serong, Young, Brayshaw, Jackson, Treacy, Amiss

Clearly best 22 but need to keep working on whatever we perceive as issues - Cox, Darcy, Johnson, Sturt, Frederick, Sharp, Walker

Vets: Will be given spots but will start to come under serious pressure - Fyfe, Walters, JOM, Aish, Switta, Wagner, Banfield

Youth & depth should like for like requirements be needed - Draper, McDonald, Reidy, Worner, Voss, NOD, Erasmus, Brodie

Then we just have real youth and last minute depth - Simpson, Davies etc

If we take the 17 from the 2 top lists we can then add a mixture of vets, youth or depth to create the best 22. The vets arenā€™t demanding selection and thatā€™s part of the issue. Theyā€™ve been serviceable, but not one of those vets lifts the team in crunch time IMO.

Last edited:
When he was in form he was nailing his snaps & set shots and handling the ball a lot cleaner.
People talk about us wilting under pressure & heā€™s been the main culprit.
Can't disagree. Could be psychological and something he may help with.

This is one year where he has been in b22 without that fear of being dropped after a bad game or we get flogged and scapegoated

Most people would think that has led to his complacency, but I don't think so with banners. I think if he isn't performing it adds to the psychological aspect of wanting to perform and when he makes a mistake gets frustrated with himself, compounding on errors or being undisciplined. Having that psychology ingrained after being sub and being dropped needs to be overcomed

Old mate Cornes has a go at Bolton for wanting out. Goes on about when things get tough he wants to leave and blah blah.

Then in next breath talks about how Taranto and Hopper should want out after what is happening.

Iā€™m like ā€˜whatā€¦ like things got tough!ā€™

The hypocrisy is hilarious.
How many players are Port pinching off other clubs. Seriously.

Can't disagree. Could be psychological and something he may help with.

This is one year where he has been in b22 without that fear of being dropped after a bad game or we get flogged and scapegoated

Most people would think that has led to his complacency, but I don't think so with banners. I think if he isn't performing it adds to the psychological aspect of wanting to perform and when he makes a mistake gets frustrated with himself, compounding on errors or being undisciplined. Having that psychology ingrained after being sub and being dropped needs to be overcomed
Yep,
In the WAFL.

I am just listening now.

Duffield rates Bolton, but is not sure we should target Bolton or hit the draft. One last chance to top up, before Tasmania comes into the comp.

Bolton's contract is currently 1.2 according to Duffield.
Duffield's guess is that Baker and Graham go to WC, Bolton to Freo.

He quoted Cook (Geelong and WC CEO) and said avoid the coach, who can't coach, but don't worry too much looking for the coach who is 1% better than your coach. The big difference is the players.

Duffield has said this a few times, but Darcy needs to work harder, and get fitter. Probably needs to drop a few KG (not too many) and get better power to weight ratio.

Spoke with freo executive GM Joe Briety. (All the below is from Joe)
The west is irrelevant.
Pearce will have a scan on his arm.
JT low grade PCL injury, need it to stabilise. Club is taking a no risk approach.
Sean is having a run today, looks to be a solid chance to get up.
Cox is medically all clear. Cox was disappointed with his game on the weekend. GWS target the match up they want, probably did not get the hand overs right all the time. Some credit needs to go to Hogan.
Impressed by Reidy.
Won't talk about an individual players. Prepared to walk away if they are asking for too many picks.
Looking for X Factor to add to list.
Ta.
I call BS on Cox. He may be technically injury free but he certainly doesn't look fit for purpose.

I think the club needs to hold onto either 9 or 10 for Warner. So the 9,17,26 is better to use on Richmond.
Warner is not going anywhere this year. We have gone two drafts without using a first. Personally and for future trading it is important we use a first this year. No need to hold out a first round pick for Warner in 2024.

With regards to Switta, Brodie etc where possible we ask for future picks. A F2 for Switta and prob nothing better than an F4 for Brodie. A couple of 2nd round picks as well as first round and future first will be enough capital to make the trade for Warner in 2025.

In the scenario where we trade 9,10 and potentially 26 for Baker/Bolton, Richmond will have bunch of picks from mid second round they wonā€™t need which they can give back to us.

Pick 30, Pick 39, Pick 48, end of second round (band 4 for Graham - which will end up being say 40 in addition to 39).

We could get back two start of 3rd round picks which are quite handy.

Richmond also have Rioli at play which will likely be an early pick as well.

Ta.
I call BS on Cox. He may be technically injury free but he certainly doesn't look fit for purpose.

Injury free, but massively underdone. (No fitness base)

Played round 1, and next played round 18 so I think he will struggle all year.

Hard to see on TV, but someone mentioned that Draper was on Hogan early and some of Hogan's early goals were when Draper was looking after him, and Duffield mentioned GWS working hard to get the best match up for Hogan.

I guess this is where Pearce is missed in multiple areas.

1. Organising zone
2. organising match up
3. covering 198cm+ forwards

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't be picking Banfield on a wing over Nod, Johnson, Sharp

If Banfield is depth, it's as a forward

Idc if he had some small amount of wing minutes for 1 or 2 good games early season.

Would be playing him forward at Peel so he is ready to fill a role there.

We badly need 2 or 3 forward pockets, so midfielders are pushed into that role.

Banfield played his best football as a high half forward / winger.

Surely we can't go into another year with virtually no forwards pockets on our list.

I wouldn't be picking Banfield on a wing over Nod, Johnson, Sharp

If Banfield is depth, it's as a forward

Idc if he had some small amount of wing minutes for 1 or 2 good games early season.

Would be playing him forward at Peel so he is ready to fill a role there.

Not sure picking Johnson or NOD on the wing is the best use of them either though.

Johnson looks the best big body to replace Fyfe on our list so that possibly changes his role, whilst NOD adds real speed compared to most inside mids whilst still having the body size to not get bullied in there.

Liam Baker might not be a wing as such but him playing the 'skinny side' wing that JOM is currently where he's sort of in between an inside mid and genuine wing might be ideal.

I think a midfield of Young, Brayshaw, Serong, NOD, Sharp, Baker and Johnson with stints from Bolton would go very very well in two years, and probably quite well next year too.

Not sure picking Johnson or NOD on the wing is the best use of them either though.

Johnson looks the best big body to replace Fyfe on our list so that possibly changes his role, whilst NOD adds real speed compared to most inside mids whilst still having the body size to not get bullied in there.

Liam Baker might not be a wing as such but him playing the 'skinny side' wing that JOM is currently where he's sort of in between an inside mid and genuine wing might be ideal.

I think a midfield of Young, Brayshaw, Serong, NOD, Sharp, Baker and Johnson with stints from Bolton would go very very well in two years, and probably quite well next year too.
Bolton replaces Walters
Baker replaces Banfield
Johnson Replaces Fyfe
Noddy should be oin the wing but he did look good in the guts on Saturday

To me it looked like Cox was trailing Hogan by two or more paces from start to finish.
I thought Draper would have been the better match up given his closing speed and the lack there of in Cox.
No effective blocking of Hogan apparent. May have been effective blocking of the defenders.

To me it looked like Cox was trailing Hogan by two or more paces from start to finish.
I thought Draper would have been the better match up given his closing speed and the lack there of in Cox.
No effective blocking of Hogan apparent. May have been effective blocking of the defenders.
One thing I certainly forgot when Hogan was devoid of confidence was just how smart a player he is. He coaches himself like when he dropped back to defense towards the end.
Heā€™s also a very strong contested mark & good on the ground ball.
Sometimes guys like that have a day out. Especially when weā€™re trying to cover Cadman, Daniels & the other dangerous small whose name escapes me.
Walker (who kept Stengle goalless the week before was killing the other small but got moved onto Daniels for a while & the other guy started bobbing up.
Hogan is in career all time form. If ever we really needed Pearce.
But yeah, Cox looked like he was dragging an anchor.

There was no 1:1 matchup. Depending on where Hogan went and how the ball was transitioning, that would switch the responsibility for him.

Draper naturally spent a bit of time on Hogan as part of this (including, but not limited to, Hogan's first goal). Mostly it went how you might expect a Coleman-leading player in red hot form might go on a first year defender. Still Draper did well in contests here and there.

One thing I certainly forgot when Hogan was devoid of confidence was just how smart a player he is. He coaches himself like when he dropped back to defense towards the end.
Heā€™s also a very strong contested mark & good on the ground ball.
Sometimes guys like that have a day out. Especially when weā€™re trying to cover Cadman, Daniels & the other dangerous small whose name escapes me.
Walker (who kept Stengle goalless the week before was killing the other small but got moved onto Daniels for a while & the other guy started bobbing up.
Hogan is in career all time form. If ever we really needed Pearce.
But yeah, Cox looked like he was dragging an anchor.

Hogan is and always had been a gun footballer, his leading patterns are insane. I remember going to a game at Marvel and watching Hogan and Tabs, the difference was unbelievable, Hogan would be changing his movements every time, Tabs was standing still until the ball was moving and simply follow.

Amiss has similar movements to Hogan, he just seems to tire a bit faster than Hogan.

I'm listening right now, caller suggested 9, 17 and 26 for Baker and Bolton, so we keep our pick 10. I think it's a little too optimistic.
That's what I was thinking and I also think it's optimistic, so I would throw in F1 for Richmond F2 coming back. It's only a one pick downgrade though...

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back