Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I will say, Banfield has been a solid piece for the majority of the season, has last month his been dreadful, but he was instrumental in a fair few of our wins, sure his decisions have been costly at times, does that erase all the goodwill he built up through this year though?

I will say, Banfield has been a solid piece for the majority of the season, has last month his been dreadful, but he was instrumental in a fair few of our wins, sure his decisions have been costly at times, does that erase all the goodwill he built up through this year though?
No 😉 I think the cats and the GWS game were his bad games and they happen to be two in a row

Against bombers he was decent. Was pretty much top 8 that day for us

Problem is everyone loves to freeze frame every pbp of his errors or what wrong option he took. Do that throughout any game and you see mistakes with other players

Had some good plays on the weekend, but focus only on two dropped marks that is not often the case and one htb, with biggest one the 50m penalty. If cox bothered to be even in close proximity to Jesse maybe wouldn't have left up to banners to cover running back. Jesse milked it but it was there

Was he that old.
To be fair at 25 they might be peaking, but they are also half way through their career.
19 is being a bit disingenuous.
Yeah, I was being silly but Bolton is basically hitting his best years, he'll hopefully play 150 high level games for us (and has two sons...)

Said it before many times on here - you can consider Banfield status at freo a good bellwether of freos flag chances.

When we get to the stage where he spends the season down at Peel because he’s not good enough to get a starting AFL place, we will be ready to challenge for the flag. Until then, we won’t.

Very similar to how Hughes and Taberner were sent to peel this year for superior younger players.

Said it before many times on here - you can consider Banfield status at freo a good bellwether of freos flag chances.

When we get to the stage where he spends the season down at Peel because he’s not good enough to get a starting AFL place, we will be ready to challenge for the flag. Until then, we won’t.

Very similar to how Hughes and Taberner were sent to peel this year for superior younger players.
Could of done with a Hughes type defender on the weekend 😉

Disagree, many premiers have had fairly ordinary players...Billy Frampton anyone?

Probably a fair amount of truth here, but as someone who thought there was some crazy overrating of what Hughes and Tabs are now at times (calls of playing Hughes over Chapman or Tabs over Amiss during their respective form slumps were insane), I think what Tabs and Hughes started and ended as is making people forget they had a decent little middle part of their careers.

I think what Hughes and Taberner were from at least 2019-2021 (and maybe that range goes a bit further either way depending on which one you're talking about) were good enough to at least be in the bottom 6-8 of the 22 of a premiership team. We've got better than what they were, but I think that's a level of player that you can deal with. Taberner when he had athleticism, was a genuine elite contested marker, and led to the pocket for fun coz he was mysteriously deadly from the pocket but iffy dead in front, Hughes when he was able to really attack ground ball, had good intercept game, and was genuinely able to fight out of his weight division. Probably both better athletes than footballers, but both squeezed every drop of potential out.

Likewise with Banners who's still 26, I think that's a level of player that you can deal with being in that bottom 6-8. The problem we have is that there's a few Banfields in the team and they're all way too comfortable in their spots.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Banners provides intangibles. Good character, charity work, intelligence and good guy vibes.
He also can play any role, by reports.
Sturt can kick straight, what else does he provide.
I think he's trade bait.
For those reasons you mentioned , they both offer value. It's not like you can't have one without the other. Used to be Sturts supporters always say that banners was the one keeping Sturt out of the team, which wasn't the case

Keep them both

Thing with banners is he genuinely wants to stay at Freo, not that he won't get offers elsewhere. Listening to the drive home with hasleby and marto, marto said when talking to his dad, last time when banners was always in and out of the team or made sub, he said banners loved the club so that's why he didn't want to leave

I think Banners provides intangibles. Good character, charity work, intelligence and good guy vibes.
I think he's trade bait.
Anticipation Popcorn GIF

I’m just gonna get comfy. Replies are coming…

I think he's trade bait.
I think this was right even as recently as a year ago, but I think now he's a more complete player (full credit to him coz many of the others who had interrupted pre-seasons have looked all the worse for that, and up until close to mid-season he was looking a bit ropey).

I think last year it was too often "well he can get on the lead, but other than that he can't hurt you, and in his bad games you're playing 18 v 17". And at that point it's "we have Jye who does everything you do but better and is younger and taller". Now he hits the contest way harder in pretty much all facets, has improved his fwd pressure, you're genuinely seeing the athleticism that was hyped up and he gets more involved.

I think he's trade bait.
Ya why the hell would we need Sturts two goals a game (over 40 a year when he plays a full season) and leading set shot accuracy across the entire comp, when we can fill our forward line with good blokes.

We have had heaps of natural goal scorers at freo over the last decade. Dozens of guys have kicked 40 goals a season in the last decade.
Oh wait. No they haven’t.

It’s just Pav, Walters, amiss and Treacy.
We have the longest drought in the AFL since a player kicked over 50 goals for us (Pav in 2012).
Every other team in the afl has a had a player kick 50 in a season over the last 3 years. It’s a damning stat.

So yeah. Get out of here Sam Sturt. We don’t want your silky skills and goals.
We need more good blokes. 🙄

Ya why the hell would we need Sturts two goals a game (over 40 a year when he plays a full season) and leading set shot accuracy across the entire comp, when we can fill our forward line with good blokes.

We have had heaps of natural goal scorers at freo over the last decade. Dozens of guys have kicked 40 goals a season in the last decade.
Oh wait. No they haven’t.

It’s just Pav, Walters, amiss and Treacy.
We have the longest drought in the AFL since a player kicked over 50 goals for us (Pav in 2012).
Every other team in the afl has a had a player kick 50 in a season over the last 3 years. It’s a damning stat.

So yeah. Get out of here Sam Sturt. We don’t want your silky skills and goals.
We need more good blokes. 🙄
He sounds like he is a good bloke, so still a chance.

Adding Bolton to our forward line is not simply a matter of goals scored and tackles effected. The fear factor engendered by his presence in the forward half should not be underestimated. Just imagine being faced with a forward set up that includes both Bolton and Frederick.
Add Treacy to that and progression in Amiss, Fremantle should be a joy to watch. So long as we can get enough decent in side 50 entries.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back