• Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Our 1st pick and saints 2nd for Bolton take it or leave it
It will be two firsts. They won’t let him go for that. I don’t think we will get anything back either. But I think his silky skills, high flying marks and his run and carry will excite every docker fan when he dons the purple chevrons.
He’s a serious player imo Shai Bolton.

It will be two firsts. They won’t let him go for that. I don’t think we will get anything back either. But I think his silky skills, high flying marks and his run and carry will excite every docker fan when he dons the purple chevrons.
He’s a serious player imo Shai Bolton.
He’s a great player when he’s on but his lows are very low, Jeremy Cameron went for way less and look at him

Bit of a price difference in those transactions tho , great piece of business for the swans
one player about to hit his prime years and one leaving his prime years. Of course there's a price disparity.

We're effectively bypassing the development and bringing in a ready made player.

He moves the needle next year regardless of what we give up

It's the future that it potentially impacts.

I feel like we have been here before as a club. Just needing the cherry on the top and it doesn't quite work. Let's just hope it does this time
Sturt , 3 first draft picks for Bolton and the needle moves the wrong way next year.

Not saying we give that up, but as I said it depends how much we give up and when is our flag window

I just don’t understand anyone who doesn’t want to bring in Bolton. Just look at his resume: 2x premiership player, 8 x Finals (only Walter:13 and Fyfe:11 have played more than this on our list) and still 25 years old (turns 26 in December) Walters turns 34 in January so he’s 8 years younger than Walters. Kicked 40+ goals just two years ago and has kicked 30+ last year and this year in a basket case team.
Yes, his contract is high, but we can renegotiate that by extending and smoothing or buying cap from space from Richmond (who seem willing)
I personally hope it’s our first and last 1st rounder but can see a world where we pony up best two picks if Richmond pay some serious money ($400+ for length of contract). It’s just all win-win for a player who addresses our biggest list need.

Sturt , 3 first draft picks for Bolton and the needle moves the wrong way next year.

Not saying we give that up, but as I said it depends how much we give up and when is our flag window
Our list demographics move into "contention" areas next year. Although if Fyfe and Walters (and JoM to a lesser extent) don't play much it probably won't look like it on the surface.

There is good reason to think we're a flag chance as early as next year. The profile of our results this year tells you that on its own (I think only 6/7 games where we weren't ahead at some point in the last quarter).

The time to strike starts now.

Our list demographics move into "contention" areas next year. Although if Fyfe and Walters (and JoM to a lesser extent) don't play much it probably won't look like it on the surface.

There is good reason to think we're a flag chance as early as next year. The profile of our results this year tells you that on its own (I think only 6/7 games where we weren't ahead at some point in the last quarter).

Probably places extra importance on getting as much finals experience as early as possible. Need a lucky Sunday

I just think Bolton is the wrong player to target at the assumed cost.

Agree with the rest

If we can get Bolton it just has to happen. It will cost a lot but if we use the 2 picks in the draft the hope will be that one of those players turns out to be as good as Bolton in 3 or 4 years time and there's no guarantee. It is basically Schultz and our 1st for Bolton. Can still grab 2 kids with the other 1st and the Saints 2nd.

I agree we NEED to keep Sturt. He's all class and not reached his ceiling yet. But when a player of the quality of Shai says I want to be a Docker you can't say no. This rarely happens for us and we would be stupid not to do it. Not to mention in spurts he is the quick burst midfielder we've been crying out for. Match winner. As long as the cost isn't ridiculous. No more than 2 firsts.

At some point you'll have to tell us what Shai did to you to make you hate him so much 🤣

So? You don't go from rebuild day 1 with every player you recruit playing in a flag. There are players along the way and whether you like it or not, getting 100 games out of a 2nd rounder (what we paid for Aish) is overs.

In the spoon team? Anything over 25 is a decent effort. 30+ and you're flying. You seriously underestimate how hard it is to play small forward when your team sucks.

Can you even name the other Richmond small forwards?

Well there’s that young bloke Bolton torn strips off in our game cause he dared to get in the way of his first 5 goals game in the AFL , was the kids 1st goal too if I remember right … how big a flog do you need to be to be going spare at some young bloke while everyone else in the team is attaboy mate

Then there is the bailing out on a shit team after the glory days are gone ‘ because family reasons ‘ which as far as I understand have not changed since he signed a super long super overs deal

Maybe we do need a complete talent rich arseh*le up front but I don’t know

We’ve always been a strong team 1st kinda club , all our best players have been that way inclined even Fyfey who’s a bit of a weirdo and Sonny who is as similar type player but I’ve never thought he’s selfish

Anyways after night shift ramblings

Guess I just like building our own players and doing a few trades for players not getting a go elsewhere rather than the big top of the market ones for superstar dickheads

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

If we can get Bolton it just has to happen. It will cost a lot but if we use the 2 picks in the draft the hope will be that one of those players turns out to be as good as Bolton in 3 or 4 years time and there's no guarantee. It is basically Schultz and our 1st for Bolton. Can still grab 2 kids with the other 1st and the Saints 2nd.

I agree we NEED to keep Sturt. He's all class and not reached his ceiling yet. But when a player of the quality of Shai says I want to be a Docker you can't say no. This rarely happens for us and we would be stupid not to do it. Not to mention in spurts he is the quick burst midfielder we've been crying out for. Match winner. As long as the cost isn't ridiculous. No more than 2 firsts.

At some point you'll have to tell us what Shai did to you to make you hate him so much 🤣

Current salary 1.2 million
Richmond want two first round picks
Kicks as many goals as points
Only kicks 30 goals a year
Contracted for 4 years
I rate him in the top 80 players in league. Not too 60

To give up 1 million dollars plus and two firsts the player should be in top 20 players in league.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Contracted for 4 years

To give up 1 million dollars plus and two firsts the player should be in top 20 players in league.
It is a lot of money but as others have said Richmond likely pay some of the salary. The cap is going up too. He will kick 40+ easily in a good team. Small forward is the hardest place to play in a shit team.

It is a lot of money but as others have said Richmond likely pay some of the salary. The cap is going up too. He will kick 40+ easily in a good team. Small forward is the hardest place to play in a shit team.

On the Richmond board they talk about him being better playing in the midfield, with small stints in forward line.

Not sure he is a small forward.

I think we pay extra for any salary Richmond take on picks.

Anyway you have my thoughts on him. No point me repeating myself

I think there were multiple factors with Shai signing that huge deal.

He signed off the back of an AA season where he had 80+ shots at goal, he was splitting time mid/fwd too, absolutely elite
+ its likely his contract was a bit backended, Tigers were coming off a strong period and had been backending a little bit through it. (Which you do to keep a group together and win flags)

In the new world of AFL player contract negotiations, a player signing a long term deal is often doing so to guarantee their future income security rather than committing to that club for the duration of that contract. Or so it seems from how things are moving towards those players seemingly seeking trades more often than in the past.

If they get badly injured their income is assured. If they decide to seek a trade the club trading them in will have to give them a similar amount of income security or the player can stay put. A good deal for the player.

Clubs with players on long term contracts who request a trade obviously hold a very strong hand at the draft table. The downside for those clubs losing a player on a long term contract is that they often have to pay a portion of the player's wage to the other club if they demand overs in the way of draft picks. That gives the club losing the player some good options come trade time.

The club who are trading in a player on a long term contract are vulnerable to overpaying if they want the player badly enough. That has probably always been the case, long term contract or not.

The net result is that it can be in everyone's interest to do the trade and everyone can come out with a decent result. The player is the one who holds the strongest hand however.

On the Richmond board they talk about him being better playing in the midfield, with small stints in forward line.

Not sure he is a small forward.

I think we pay extra for any salary Richmond take on picks.

Anyway you have my thoughts on him. No point me repeating myself
Thanks god, yes we all know your stance now.

Contracted for 4 years

Only kicks 30 goals? He's kicked more the last 3 years and kicked 43 in 2022 in a decent side.

And for the 29475th time, we won't be paying him 1 million plus. It will be around 800k with Richmond's contribution. An extra first rounder to a normal trade is more than fair to buy that. I'm giving up 9+10 in a heartbeat. If we get it done for a better deal then great.

The official AFL salary survey shows there were 19 players on 1 million plus, 63 players on 800k+, and 105 players on 700k+ ... in 2023. A 700k salary in 2023 is equivalent to 830k in 2025 with the % increase to the salary cap.

It is expected that ~50 players will be on 1 million plus in 2025. There will be easily over 100 players on 800k+ in 2025 and beyond. If he is in the top 80 players as you say, then 800k is actually a fair deal for such a player.

But I'm sure you will carry on posting with a complete disregard for facts, logic and rational thinking.

So…we’re guaranteed pick 9, barring Carlton losing by 200 to the Saints.

If we lose, it’s 9 and 10.

Good hand to have plus Port pick which will be at worst 15 I reckon.

I’m ne downside of a Saints win today is the second will slide back two spots.

If they lose, we’ll have 23…if not, 25

So ideally for the death ride, Giants win and Carlton win

So…we’re guaranteed pick 9, barring Carlton losing by 200 to the Saints.

If we lose, it’s 9 and 10.

Good hand to have plus Port pick which will be at worst 15 I reckon.

I’m ne downside of a Saints win today is the second will slide back two spots.

If they lose, we’ll have 23…if not, 25

So ideally for the death ride, Giants win and Carlton win

My thoughts exactly

Only kicks 30 goals? He's kicked more the last 3 years and kicked 43 in 2022 in a decent side.

And for the 29475th time, we won't be paying him 1 million plus. It will be around 800k with Richmond's contribution. An extra first rounder to a normal trade is more than fair to buy that. I'm giving up 9+10 in a heartbeat. If we get it done for a better deal then great.

The official AFL salary survey shows there were 19 players on 1 million plus, 63 players on 800k+, and 105 players on 700k+ ... in 2023. A 700k salary in 2023 is equivalent to 830k in 2025 with the % increase to the salary cap.

It is expected that ~50 players will be on 1 million plus in 2025. There will be easily over 100 players on 800k+ in 2025 and beyond. If he is in the top 80 players as you say, then 800k is actually a fair deal for such a player.

But I'm sure you will carry on posting with a complete disregard for facts, logic and rational thinking.

One of the biggest blemishes on Bolton's game is his ability to fluff easy shots on goals. His goal accuracy ratio is really atrocious for someone of his ability. Maybe it's him being so hypo and he'll settle that in the second half of his career, but the sorts of misses he somehow pulls off can be so deflating.

Year -- Goal -- Bnd
2019 -- 15 -- 12
2020 -- 15 -- 11
2021 -- 23 -- 20
2022 -- 43 -- 41
2023 -- 31 -- 29
2024 -- 33 -- 25

One of the biggest blemishes on Bolton's game is his ability to fluff easy shots on goals. His goal accuracy ratio is really atrocious for someone of his ability. Maybe it's him being so hypo and he'll settle that in the second half of his career, but the sorts of misses he somehow pulls off can be so deflating.

Year -- Goal -- Bnd
2019 -- 15 -- 12
2020 -- 15 -- 11
2021 -- 23 -- 20
2022 -- 43 -- 41
2023 -- 31 -- 29
2024 -- 33 -- 25

I agree it's the worst part of his game.

I also think he's a little hot and cold but most small forwards are dependant on how the team is feeding them from the midfield. He can get his own ball as ge can play midfield too which is a blessing

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back