Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I initially wasn't opposed to the idea of Martin. Obviously has talent, just constantly injured. But now I'm just not sure we have the list spots.

Currently we're linked to:
Bolton - must get.
Pickett - seemingly caught us off-guard, get if no Warner.
Warner - only an option this year if Swans win the flag.
Baker - would only grab if two of the above three fall through, but you'd take him for the right price.
Rosas - probably a back up option, worth keeping an eye on.
Richards - seemingly Port bound.

Currently out of contract we have:
Emmett - would be a ruthless call to cut him. Has some nice attributes, but his disposal is a killer. If he can't at least tidy it up, he won't make it. I'm hoping it's fatigue based and will settle as he gets fitter, but we'll see.
O'Driscoll - must sign. Huge upside and a Freo supporter, I'll be gutted if we lose Driz.
Hughes - goneski, would expect us to look for a medium defender in the draft.
Taberner - goneski, thanks Tabs.
Corbett - bless this guy trying to make it back from a hip replacement, but it's not the time for us to be carrying nice guys.
Knobel - the elephant in the room, unsigned and my pick for shock trade request.

Potentially tough calls to make:
Fyfe - think he has one more year if he is fit for a good pre-season.
Walters - I think it's time for Sonny, unfortunately. Shame, but can any of us see him having a Rocky-montage pre-season?
Brodie - could be dumped, any sides need a mature inside mid?
Delean - obvious talent, but is he putting in the work required?

Just going off the obvious delistings we've got:
Taberner - Bolton, most certain trade imo.
Corbett - Warner/Pickett/Baker/Rosas/Martin
Hughes - Draft pick A

We need to take three Draft picks, but we can also upgrade rookies, so potentially:
Knobel - Draft pick B
Emmett - upgrade Sharp

Potentially trade Brodie if we want to cut harder, but I don't expect us to have enough worthwhile Draft picks if we trade in two players.

A lot to consider before we even get to our rookie list:
Sharp - could see him upgraded if we don't think it's worth taking a third Draft pick, although we're usually inclined to.
Worner - keep where he is for now.
Jones - hopefully keep him but concussions are a concern.
Voss - keep where he is.
Reidy - hopefully keep where he is, but could be tempted home.
Kuek - I think we all like the feel-good story, he's obviously very popular amongst the group, but I wouldn't be surprised if we cut him.
Stanley - I like him but I'm worried injuries might have robbed him of his chance, hopefully we persevere.
Draper - keep him on the B list another year, nice bonus for the list.
Williams - could definitely see us cutting him, with or without the rumoured third spot.
I think it's a max 3 people in. Bolton, Martin, one more out of Baker, Pickett or Warner.

I think taking less than 5 across the drafts this year would be a mistake and given Corbett and Williams dont count, we'd need to move on 8 players with current uncontracted list spot players appearing to be Reidy, Kuek, Stanley, Jones, Knobel, Noddy, Emmett, Hughes, Taberner. I do no want to lose the bolded and I assume Voss is re-signed secretly. I also think there is no way they cut Jones and go with just Knobel, Jackson and Darcy on the list.

We can see it's really hard to take 5 players in the draft at current, so we must have plans for 3 or 4 max and/or there are players leaving we havent been told about yet. I think Brodie basically has to go if we can figure something out or maybe we plan on losing a kid as steaknives in the trades

Last edited:
I initially wasn't opposed to the idea of Martin. Obviously has talent, just constantly injured. But now I'm just not sure we have the list spots.

Currently we're linked to:
Bolton - must get.
Pickett - seemingly caught us off-guard, get if no Warner.
Warner - only an option this year if Swans win the flag.
Baker - would only grab if two of the above three fall through, but you'd take him for the right price.
Rosas - probably a back up option, worth keeping an eye on.
Richards - seemingly Port bound.

Currently out of contract we have:
Emmett - would be a ruthless call to cut him. Has some nice attributes, but his disposal is a killer. If he can't at least tidy it up, he won't make it. I'm hoping it's fatigue based and will settle as he gets fitter, but we'll see.
O'Driscoll - must sign. Huge upside and a Freo supporter, I'll be gutted if we lose Driz.
Hughes - goneski, would expect us to look for a medium defender in the draft.
Taberner - goneski, thanks Tabs.
Corbett - bless this guy trying to make it back from a hip replacement, but it's not the time for us to be carrying nice guys.
Knobel - the elephant in the room, unsigned and my pick for shock trade request.

Potentially tough calls to make:
Fyfe - think he has one more year if he is fit for a good pre-season.
Walters - I think it's time for Sonny, unfortunately. Shame, but can any of us see him having a Rocky-montage pre-season?
Brodie - could be dumped, any sides need a mature inside mid?
Delean - obvious talent, but is he putting in the work required?

Just going off the obvious delistings we've got:
Taberner - Bolton, most certain trade imo.
Corbett - Warner/Pickett/Baker/Rosas/Martin
Hughes - Draft pick A

We need to take three Draft picks, but we can also upgrade rookies, so potentially:
Knobel - Draft pick B
Emmett - upgrade Sharp

Potentially trade Brodie if we want to cut harder, but I don't expect us to have enough worthwhile Draft picks if we trade in two players.

A lot to consider before we even get to our rookie list:
Sharp - could see him upgraded if we don't think it's worth taking a third Draft pick, although we're usually inclined to.
Worner - keep where he is for now.
Jones - hopefully keep him but concussions are a concern.
Voss - keep where he is.
Reidy - hopefully keep where he is, but could be tempted home.
Kuek - I think we all like the feel-good story, he's obviously very popular amongst the group, but I wouldn't be surprised if we cut him.
Stanley - I like him but I'm worried injuries might have robbed him of his chance, hopefully we persevere.
Draper - keep him on the B list another year, nice bonus for the list.
Williams - could definitely see us cutting him, with or without the rumoured third spot.
We played with the maximum number of rookies last year which means we can create two main list spots if we delist two of Keuk, Stanley and Jones. Jones ws only signed to a 1 year rookie deal and I'd hate to delist any of the 3 but but AFL's a pretty ruthless competition

On a side note in regard to our NGA's
I got told the elder of the two Irish boys (Ultan Kelm) tested brilliantly with both his kicking and running when he came over. Jordan Clark also mentioned on Better Down Back how one of the Irish boys did some elite distance running.and that was Ultan. I would very surprised if he wasnt added to the squad next year. His athleticisms sounds off the charts
Hopefully we have 3 NGS's so we can give Williams another year and then in 2025 bring across the other Irish player in Eoin McEiholm (who's 19) the year after when we promote Draper to the main list.

Last edited:

I think it's a max 3 people in. Bolton, Martin, one more out of Baker, Pickett or Warner.

I think taking less than 5 across the drafts this year would be a mistake and given Corbett and Williams dont count, we'd need to move on 8 players with current uncontracted list spot players appearing to be Reidy, Stanley, Jones, Knobel, Noddy, Emmett, Hughes, Taberner. I do no want to lose the bolded and I assume Voss is re-signed secretly. I also think there is no way they cut Jones and go with just Knobel, Jackson and Darcy on the list.

We can see it's really hard to take 5 players in the draft at current, so we must have plans for 3 or 4 max and/or there are players leaving we havent been told about yet. I think Brodie basically has to go if we can figure something out or maybe we plan on losing a kid as steaknives in the trades
Reidy was about to sign a 1 year extension on Aug 7. https://www.afl.com.au/news/1190479...-in-on-deal-does-veteran-eagle-look-elsewhere. So it's probably Reidy, Knobel and Noddy that we keep with Stanley, Jones, Hughes and Taberner out the door. Emmett probably depends on what comes in/what goes out.

I think taking less than 5 across the drafts this year would be a mistake and given Corbett and Williams dont count, we'd need to move on 8 players with current uncontracted list spot players appearing to be Reidy, Stanley, Jones, Knobel, Noddy, Emmett, Hughes, Taberner. I do no want to lose the bolded and I assume Voss is re-signed secretly. I also think there is no way they cut Jones and go with just Knobel, Jackson and Darcy on the list.

Damn, I forgot about Corbett not counting because of Voss!

Bolton - Taberner.
Martin - Hughes.
Third trade target - Brodie trade.
Draft pick - Emmett, re-rookie.
Draft pick - hypothetical Knobel trade, must draft a replacement.
Draft pick - Walters retirement.
Rookie pick - Jones.
Rookie pick - Kuek.

Reidy was about to sign a 1 year extension on Aug 7. https://www.afl.com.au/news/1190479...-in-on-deal-does-veteran-eagle-look-elsewhere. So it's probably Reidy, Knobel and Noddy that we keep with Stanley, Jones, Hughes and Taberner out the door. Emmett probably depends on what comes in/what goes out.
Yeah, I'm not convinced on Reidy until I see it announced. I dont think we need Reidy and Knobel on the list for next year and Knobel is clearly the better prospect IMO.

Damn, I forgot about Corbett not counting because of Voss!

Bolton - Taberner.
Martin - Hughes.
Third trade target - Brodie trade.
Draft pick - Emmett, re-rookie.
Draft pick - hypothetical Knobel trade, must draft a replacement.
Draft pick - Walters retirement.
Rookie pick - Jones.
Rookie pick - Kuek.
Knew I was missing someone, added Kuek back in. Still tough.

I really dont want to lose Knobel, it just means we replace him with an 18 year old ruck without two years of development. I'll go as far as saying losing him would be the biggest mistake of all the names, even Noddy.

Sad to say, but I hope we chat with Walters and he is added to the list of outs.

Brodie, Walters, Tabs, Jones, Stanley and Corbett out. Are any of those tough calls?

Nod and the rucks need to stay on the list.

Williams should be moved on and likely Keuk as well.

Knew I was missing someone, added Kuek back in. Still tough.

I really dont want to lose Knobel, it just means we replace him with an 18 year old ruck without two years of development. I'll go as far as saying losing him would be the biggest mistake of all the names, even Noddy.
I completely agree, it's just that we've just heard nothing and it's got me wondering. I don't see how else we bring in three trades spots-wise, either.

I completely agree, it's just that we've just heard nothing and it's got me wondering. I don't see how else we bring in three trades spots-wise, either.
Yeah, it's why the 1 year Reidy news was bizarre to me and I'm glad we havent heard it formally announced. One of him or Knobel likely has to go and that's an easy choice IMO

We played with the maximum number of rookies last year which means we can create two main list spots if we delist two of Keuk, Stanley and Jones. Jones ws only signed to a 1 year rookie deal and I'd hate to delist any of the 3 but but AFL's a pretty ruthless competition

I got told the elder of the two Irish boys (Ultan Kelm) tested brilliantly with both his kicking and running when he came over. Jordan Clark also mentioned on Better Down Back how one of the Irish boys did some elite distance running.and that was Ultan. I would very surprised if he wasnt added to the squad next year. His athleticisms sounds off the charts
Hopefully we have 3 NGS's so we can give Williams another year and then in 2025 bring across the other Irish player in Eoin McEiholm (who's 19) the year after when we promote Draper to the main list.

That’s interesting feedback out of the Irish lads.
McElholm is a phenomenal Gaelic football talent and would be well ahead of where Kelm was at the same age in terms of what he’s achieved as a 19 year old.

Does appear Kelm has superior athleticism though. Hopefully we get at least one of them across.
Kelm is from a relative minnow county while McElholm is from a perennial contender. That makes a difference when it comes to tempting those guys out here. Much easier get a guy from a county that’s not likely to be competitive in Ireland at the highest level.

I can see us clearing Jones and Stanley and moving someone like Knobel or Emmett to the rookie list. If they get a better offer elsewhere they might go but it would free up a senior spot

This makes me happy - for those who watched ultan’s highlight reel, picture freddy but faster. (Not sure if i am joking here or not tbh!). Far better defender and has a massive reputation for reading the play way in advance. Here’s hoping!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Under our nose? Yes, but he was in the West Coast NGA! How bad are their recruiters?

Kudos to Geelong recruiters, cause he was playing WAFL reserves for much of last year. Looks like a seasoned veteran at AFL level.

Haven’t we hired someone from Geelong’s recruitment team just recently?

Surely NOD has to stay (if he doesnt get pinched!). He brings another Young to the midfield in terms of burst running thru the middle, kicking it into the 50. We need his speed to complement fyfe, brayshaw and serong extractions.

Kuek as a back as well (ie as swingman) is interesting. Hows his tackling and defense? Our backs are our sleeping time bomb for me - AP, cox and ryan all injury possibilities. Needing more than draper and Davies to cover - need the height of kuek, does the rest of him fit the KD role if he adds another 5-10kgs?

Voss developed as a swingman also interesting - any thoughts on this?

Thought Reidy was serviceable - though the support for Knobel in this group is v promising. Don’t think we can keep both - and gotta feel sorry for Jones - brought in as a development player but no room to develop him:(

I would move Williams and Kuek on before Jones. Big bodied, aggressive fowards that can ruck don't grow on trees at age 19. He missed a bit early this year through concussion and the last few games were just shocking conditions for a big forward. Still he clunked a few pack marks late in the game. Deserves one more year.

Ok so based on the last few days posts, a complete list of those who we could possibly
a) trade and b) cut is something like:

TRADE
  • erasmus
  • brodie (if we can)
  • NOD?

CUT
Definites:
  • corbett
  • hughes
  • taberner
Probables:
  • walters?
  • stanley
Possibles to sacrifice if need list space:
  • reidy?
  • emmett?
  • kuek?
  • delean?
  • worner?
  • murphy?
  • williams?
  • jones?
  • knobel?
  • NOD?

Anyone else you can think of? Or who should not be on that list?

In terms of list spaces in 2025, far more likely than not someone we dont want to lose will want to go home “for personal reasons”. (Heh, bolton possibility means we cant complain.). Reasonable to include this extra list spot when planning who and how many to bring in and cut for next season.

Hopefully port lose next Friday. Picks 9, 10 & 14 would hold freo trading
This post is not wishful enough for my liking. If Sydney and Port both lose next week (obviously Sydney could also win tomorrow) then it becomes 9, 10 and 13 instead.

Genuinely think pick 17 coming into pick 13 or 14 would genuinely help us if the Pickett trade becomes live. It's not an insignificant difference.

If we give 9 & 14 for Shai, I’d want something back in the 2nd round.
That won’t be happening, can assure you .. maybe a late 3rd
(and only because if they don’t bundle it up for points ,in which case they probably wouldn’t use it considering the amount of picks they likely bringing in with trades)

The much more likely scenario and one I’d prefer and think is much more beneficial considering where our list is at is we trade 9 and 14 for Bolten and get the tigers to pay a reasonable amount of his salary,

If we truly are going to acquire a Pickett/warner or both or some one else good ,salary cap space wil be our most pressing issue by far not trade capital

This post is not wishful enough for my liking. If Sydney and Port both lose next week (obviously Sydney could also win tomorrow) then it becomes 9, 10 and 13 instead.

Genuinely think pick 17 coming into pick 13 or 14 would genuinely help us if the Pickett trade becomes live. It's not an insignificant difference.
good grief, that's almost as mouthwatering as the year we had 7, 8, 9 (?) and killed it, w/ exception of having to match Liam Henry w/8

once again, for the cheap seats: f you, Carlton

If we truly are going to acquire a Pickett/warner or both or do wine else good salary cap space wil be our most pressing issue by far not trade capital
We need a little bit of both.

No point having all that spare cash, if we don't have the trade currency to bring in who we want.

good grief, that's almost as mouthwatering as the year we had 7, 8, 9 (?) and killed it, w/ exception of having to match Liam Henry w/8

once again, for the cheap seats: f you, Carlton
We had 7 & 8.

9 was created when Carlton bid and we matched (pushing them to 10, before they bid on Green and then traded it away, campaigners).

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back