Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

In the scenario we get Bolton and Warner, Young going back to the back part time in the future solves the issue. I think...

Say what? We move our best midfielder down back.......... go have a nap.

I think we play Chapman too tall and too tight as a defender. We need to free him up so he can use his excellent footy brain and kick more. I hope they change his role this off season
I mean he was getting trained to play wing before his injury + our other defender's injuries this season. I expect he'll play a different role next season. Would be great if Pearce, Cox, and/or McDonald could stay healthy to make it happen though.

Say what? We move our best midfielder down back.......... go have a nap.
Part time. There is only so many midfield minutes to go around between Young, Warner, Bolton, Brayshaw, Serong and whoever plays the supporting role (Ras or Johnson). They all need 2nd spots bar maybe Serong

Who was that guy who told us Bailey Smith was a docker

Anyway really hope he ends up at Geelong over Hawks.

Yes people mistakenly think the average salary is paid to the mid ranking player at each club.

If there’s 44 players on a list, the 22nd best player is not earning the average salary. It would be more accurate to quote median salaries but they never do that.
The 22nd highest paid player at freo is earning a lot less than $440k. The salaries are non-normally distributed. I would guess the average salary is paid to approx the 13th or 14th highest paid player on the list.
The AFL muddy the waters when they say the average player in 2023 made $441k because they're only talking about the 660 primary listed players. 660 players across 18 clubs is 36.6 players made an average of $441k, not 44.

In 2023 a typical AFL club would roughly have;
23 players earn more than $300k or
18 players earn more than $400k or
13 players earn more than $500k or
9 players earn more than $600k or
6 players earn more than $700k or
4 players earn more than $800k or
2 players earn more than $900k or
1 player earn more than $1 million or

I think we play Chapman too tall and too tight as a defender. We need to free him up so he can use his excellent footy brain and kick more. I hope they change his role this off season
The "problem" is that he's almost too good a defender for his own good. Like Hayden Young was never really a lockdown guy so freeing him up and eventually moving him up was an easy choice. Conversely, Chapman is someone who has shut down some of the best fwds this season (Fritsch and Cameron in particular he did great jobs on). Genuinely if you have a tall-ish, quick fwd and Alex Pearce isn't available, Chapman is probably the best matchup on them. Maybe next season that becomes Draper.

I wouldn't mind seeing him higher up the ground, especially if Draper can be that 3rd defender and rebound off half back in that role. But I still like Chapman playing in defence in some fashion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

probably Martin
I watched 15mins of his 'highlights ' on the weekend. One of which was him getting a handball recieve at the top of the goal square and kicking the goal.
He only seems a mild improvement on Freddy? But always injured. Maybe he's better in open play or 1v1 or something but I haven't seen enough of him live (has anyone?) To know if he's even worth a punt. His career stats are extraordinarily under whelming. Does anyone know what he does well?

It would have to be AFL contrived for it to run through to the last 24 hours. We would want to do other business and need to know where the Bolton deal lands.

I would be very surprised if the clubs haven't already set the price.
I might not remember correctly but from memory in 2018 the Neale trade, Hogan trade, Lobb trade and a pick swap between us and North Melbourne we're all lodged within two hours of each other.

There's usually one or two earlier trades per day but the above is generally closer to the norm in terms of how it goes down.

Part time. There is only so many midfield minutes to go around between Young, Warner, Bolton, Brayshaw, Serong and whoever plays the supporting role (Ras or Johnson). They all need 2nd spots bar maybe Serong
Is Zorko actually that much better than Jordan Clark at rebounding the ball from defensive 50? I don't know whether he is.

Would rather use the draft for another HBF tbh. I see it more as a medium term need.

Is Zorko actually that much better than Jordan Clark at rebounding the ball from defensive 50? I don't know whether he is.

Would rather use the draft for another HBF tbh. I see it more as a medium term need.

If you lock down on Clark we can struggle to rebound the ball well.

Clark is very quick, and great at breaking the lines but not sure he is brilliant and dissecting a zone and pin pointing a pass.

It would be very nice, if we had a 2nd player who can help us get the ball out of our back 50. Ideally, with the ability to play a bit of midfield time.

If you lock down on Clark we can struggle to rebound the ball well.

Clark is very quick, and great at breaking the lines but not sure he is brilliant and dissecting a zone and pin pointing a pass.

It would be very nice, if we had a 2nd player who can help us get the ball out of our back 50. Ideally, with the ability to play a bit of midfield time.

As I said I think this is something we draft for. Can’t trade for everything- the salary and lack of assets makes sure of that. More than happy with the prospect of who we might be bringing in this year or next.

If we trade too many picks then hopefully one of those Irish kids comes in and does good. There is signs the club sees it as an area of improvement- we had a crack at Cumming from GWS as well.

Getting the deal done early will free up the slate for any further sneaky-blockbusters from behind the Wall too.

I don't know if we need a trade for this, but having watched the Brisvegas replay yesterday, Zorko's ability to dissect his way out of half-back was really striking. With Young's move mid-forward going gangbusters, finding that polished distrubutor off the half-back is something we should be seriously considering. I don't think we currently have any obvious candidates with a combo of top-shelf game-IQ and precision kicking that can neatly slot in there next year.
We should introduce Simpson via defence. He may not provide what you are looking for here, but he seems to have some of those qualities.

In the scenario we get Bolton and Warner, Young going back to the back part time in the future solves the issue. I think...
Given I'm 100% on seeing Young getting more time in mid/fwd and just see how far he can go taking it to the next level... so would strongly prefer a different option there.

Given I'm 100% on seeing Young getting more time in mid/fwd and just see how far he can go taking it to the next level... so would strongly prefer a different option there.
I understand but that's in a team without Bolton and Chad, two very attacking players. Not sure there is room and Young is the only who can play back

Sydney might be more open to trading Chad this year. They have depth at his position, and we have the picks. It would be better to move this year if you were Sydney.I suspect the Eagles know this and are also going to have a crack.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back