Banfield
Taberner
Brayshaw
Fyfe
Voss
Serong
McDonald
Reidy

In that order, best to worst. Exclude all the defenders and long kicking wings.... aaaaand Josh Treacy is your new half back

Not saying he couldn't, but would be looking for someone to really have an exponential benefit to our def-fwd transitions... almost straight away.
Who was the poster on here that spent ages complaining about how many skinny half back flankers we drafted year on year? You'd think we should have half a dozen of these types waiting in the wings.

Who are our best kicks in the team? AFL Stats (KE%) says:
Worner
Ryan
Pearce
Cox
Hughes
Draper
Clark
Wagner
Chapman
Davies
Walker
Sharp
Aish
Treacy
Erasmus
Johnson
O'Meara
Jackson
Emmett
Sturt
O'Driscoll
Frederick
Simpson
Walters
Darcy
Amiss
Young
Switkowski
Banfield
Taberner
Brayshaw
Fyfe
Voss
Serong
McDonald
Reidy

In that order, best to worst. Exclude all the defenders and long kicking wings.... aaaaand Josh Treacy is your new half back
Some good level trolling here putting a list up that says Worner Pearce and Hughes are in our top 5 kicks at the club 😂

Some good level trolling here putting a list up that says Worner Pearce and Hughes are in our top 5 kicks at the club 😂
Eleven of top twelve are defenders!

It's what I keep saying. The stat useless it showing who's a good kick and who isn't without context.

Defenders will always score higher in this stat due to it rewarding kicks over 40m not directly intercepted as effective and not taking into account the difficulty of the disposal.

Inside mids in comparison usually do sh** because they do so many kicks under pressure. For an inside mid 70% is elite but if you're a defender putting up that stat it probably means you're a candidate to get delisted. It's apples and oranges.

I’m at least 48 hours and 10 pages late to this latest round of debate over salaries, etc., but could someone please do a tired, old mind a favour by answering a few questions for me?

Do we have any reliable information on:

*whether match payments count towards the salary cap, or are rather payments over and above?
*whether match payments are a defined amount, and the same for all players?

The piece from The Age linked to earlier suggests a defined amount and from the cap. That means that the available amount for distribution is actually less than the cap (I.e. 23 rounds x 23 players x $5000 = $2.645mill less). Anyone able to access anything official that supports or refutes this notion?

This is part of the reason why I am unable to put any faith in the “reported” salaries of any player. How does the player/manager, let alone the reporter, know whether the player is going to play all 23 games? Sure, they’re probably reporting to the top figure, but then that surely applies also to any bonuses/incentives that are also built into the contract. So Darcy (e.g.) is almost never getting paid his $750k pa because he is not in every year playing every game and getting AA / top 5 Doig / whatever high performance benchmark you want to set.

The numbers being bandied about in the press / online are pure fiction, if only because they can’t ALL be true, given that only 23 players per team play each round, there are only 10 players in the top 10 Brownlow, only 22 players in the AA squad, etc., etc.

TL;DR you can't just add up the reported salaries to work out if we have cap space.

I got a whole other thought about contracts / renewals and salary cap management, but I’ve already avoided work for too long.

I’m at least 48 hours and 10 pages late to this latest round of debate over salaries, etc., but could someone please do a tired, old mind a favour by answering a few questions for me?

Do we have any reliable information on:

*whether match payments count towards the salary cap, or are rather payments over and above?
*whether match payments are a defined amount, and the same for all players?

The piece from The Age linked to earlier suggests a defined amount and from the cap. That means that the available amount for distribution is actually less than the cap (I.e. 23 rounds x 23 players x $5000 = $2.645mill less). Anyone able to access anything official that supports or refutes this notion?

This is part of the reason why I am unable to put any faith in the “reported” salaries of any player. How does the player/manager, let alone the reporter, know whether the player is going to play all 23 games? Sure, they’re probably reporting to the top figure, but then that surely applies also to any bonuses/incentives that are also built into the contract. So Darcy (e.g.) is almost never getting paid his $750k pa because he is not in every year playing every game and getting AA / top 5 Doig / whatever high performance benchmark you want to set.

The numbers being bandied about in the press / online are pure fiction, if only because they can’t ALL be true, given that only 23 players per team play each round, there are only 10 players in the top 10 Brownlow, only 22 players in the AA squad, etc., etc.

TL;DR you can't just add up the reported salaries to work out if we have cap space.

I got a whole other thought about contracts / renewals and salary cap management, but I’ve already avoided work for too long.
As I understand it, match payments are only for lower ranked players on a list.
Jeremy Cameron is not getting a $5k match payment every time he plays a game for example!

Move Brayshaw to the defensive mid role. Warner / Bolton a 70 / 30 split with the extra spot. Young & Serong stay the same.
Why not share the love across the lines? Young is currently our only offensive midfielder but that changes with those two and the backline could use some more class. It's not like he'd be wasted resting down back.

Why not share the love across the lines? Young is currently our only offensive midfielder but that changes with those two and the backline could use some more class. It's not like he'd be wasted resting down back.

I think resting the mids forward and back, should help our last quarters.

Hopefully the mids are fresher.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who was the poster on here that spent ages complaining about how many skinny half back flankers we drafted year on year? You'd think we should have half a dozen of these types waiting in the wings.
It twas a running gag.... so no one poster jumped on that bandwagon.

But we should be looking for the sexy mind and kick. Someone who sees the game three steps ahead and can then surgically pinpoint the audacious kick required.

Young adds significantly more as a mid resting forward than he would do as a defender. So many times towards the end of the season watching him and thinking to myself that it's only a matter of when, not if, he will become our best player.

Chapman can add that class of half back once our KPDs are back from injuries and he's freed up a bit.

I'm not sure you get a rest at Half back or Half forward in the modern game. Rolling Ras, Johnson and Switta through there will probably still be handy though.

They don’t like messing with the back 7 because they all need to learn how to handover effectively when one leaves their man to try to impact the contest/create a contest, adding a mid rotation could cause more confusion than good. Forward lines likes confusion and rotation of mids forward can disrupt the opposition backline matchups, it’s why Jackson is more dangerous as the ruck drifting forward than as a starting forward, the backs have to scramble to cover a 200cm player wandering forward.

Get the bag ready
Mr Bean Airplane GIF by Working Title

Wouldn’t mind another left footer added as a half back or outside mid.
It’s one of the reasons I like NOD.
Left footed players are a nice point of difference sometimes
Check out Harrison Oliver.

Almost complete package what your looking for , especially as HBF
Left footer with good kicking skills and known tough competitor

If we hold onto the saints pick I’m hoping he makes it to there

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back