List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

What is the maximum (walk away point) you would pay for Bolton.

• 9 OR 10

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • 9 & 25

Votes: 11 14.5%
  • 9 & 17

Votes: 38 50.0%
  • 9 & F1

Votes: 10 13.2%
  • 9 & 10

Votes: 13 17.1%
  • 9, 10 & 17

Votes: 2 2.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If NOD, Voss and Reidy all re-sign as expected it’s hard to see how we fit both Bolton and Baker on the list and have a decent presence in the draft tbh. Without trading out players anyway.

If our third best draft selection is kind of late I think that’s a good time to stop but I don’t think I’d be taking any less than three selections in any draft.

We can probably view one of the Irish guys as a free selection so we’d still be bringing four in - the turnover will be bigger next year with Fyfe and Walters renting imo.
We're not aiming to have a decent presence in the draft.

Just on WC and Reid , how’s that Adam Simpson interview where he stated A grade players were ringing WC up to say they want to come play with Harley…. and then it dried up after few losses (lol)

Not sure exactly how accurate simmos statement is but imagine a player wanting to change clubs just so they could play at WC as to be immersed in Harley mania?!

Seems crazy but then I remembered we had a player request a trade for fashion reasons so maybe this the new norm

If NOD, Voss and Reidy all re-sign as expected it’s hard to see how we fit both Bolton and Baker on the list and have a decent presence in the draft tbh. Without trading out players anyway.

If our third best draft selection is kind of late I think that’s a good time to stop but I don’t think I’d be taking any less than three selections in any draft.

We can probably view one of the Irish guys as a free selection so we’d still be bringing four in - the turnover will be bigger next year with Fyfe and Walters renting imo.
I'm convinced they are desperately trying to find a place to offload Brodie. Seems insane to carry his list spot with where they seem in the pecking order

He’s cooked.

Would have to play forward for us tbh and let’s be honest he’s too slow these days so it’d be about body strength in marking contest only. His forward pressure would be close to zero too.

No thanks.
It doesn’t matter anyway, Dusty has zero interest in rocking into a new club full of strangers. Dimma will let him do what ever he wants in terms of no media and it’s all for marketing purposes for GC as he’s cooked.

Oh listen I’m 100% in agreement with you here.
We NEED to take 4 national draft picks this year.
Emmett and Stanley should both be cut.
Brodie just has be traded out. If Carlton are telling all those guys to look around, surely, surely we are saying the same to Brodie?

A deep draft like this you have to take advantage of. Even if it’s picks in the 40s or 50s.

What are we at then.

Excluding Corbett and Williams

Tabs, Hughes and Kuek are three spots. Assume one of the rucks goes out and then both Stanley and Emmett? Could bring in 3 and draft 3. Would still help to move Brodie if we could.
Didnt we have a spare list spot not used in the MSD? Is that counted?

The Ultan of Swing... for free..?
I like it!

Brodie just has be traded out. If Carlton are telling all those guys to look around, surely, surely we are saying the same to Brodie?

A deep draft like this you have to take advantage of. Even if it’s picks in the 40s or 50s.
Why? That’s 4 bites of the cherry that will be on the list for 2-3 years minimum. Ras was a top 10 pick and he’s 3 years in and barely impacting. How are 4 picks at our list age & stage going to impact compared to 2-3 plus trades or keeping older depth?

2 or 3 is fine.

If you want to know the importance of turning over list spots regularly (more than what most people on here because they get too emotionally attached to fringe players) just take a look back at what we did in the 2020 off season.
We delisted a heap that year and even re rookied some who became UFAs such as Schultz (infamously) and Banfield.

But it crucially freed up the list spots to roll the dice on a young tall forward at around 3:05 pm the day after the main draft, at pick 7 in the rookie draft.

He was a nobody back then that didn’t register on anyone’s radar that day bar the most extreme of draft nerds here on BF but 4 years later he might just be the most important player we have.

If we didn’t cut hard on the list in that 2020 off season we wouldn’t have Josh Treacy right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For me three draft picks is the absolute minimum and we may as well make at least two of those top 40-50 selections (depends on the year - might be closer to 50 this year). If we have four or five picks inside 40 I’m using them all but we won’t have that. If we have two selections inside 40 I’m still using a third pick.

FWIW I want the club to keep Emmett and Knobel on the list but can understand why the club is holding off (Personally I’d sign up Knobel and keep Reidy hanging for now). If an opportunity to bring in a good player comes up you want to be able to bring them in not be constrained because you signed up some fringe player.

Agree it’d be ideal to trade Brodie - I just can’t think of who the suitor would be if I’m honest.

Age is a big thing and I think say Emmett (good pressure, mature body) or Knobel (ruck with two years development) on our list over some pick 50-odd 18 year old that likely plays a similar role benefits us more in our current situation. I would say I’d support us taking 50-odd if the alternative was pick 9 in the Rookie Draft (or later) though.

Last edited:
Why? That’s 4 bites of the cherry that will be on the list for 2-3 years minimum. Ras was a top 10 pick and he’s 3 years in and barely impacting. How are 4 picks at our list age & stage going to impact compared to 2-3 plus trades or keeping older depth?

2 or 3 is fine.
Remember the rule (fact actually, over many years of hard data) that only 30% of drafted players play 50 games or more.
If we draft 3, one will make it to 50 games and the others will be busts.
Thats the reality.
Draft 5, including rookie picks, we might get lucky and get two long term players.

The numbers just don’t lie and are the reason every club takes at least 4 or 5 new players in every draft & rookie draft, as an absolute minimum.

If you want to know the importance of turning over list spots regularly (more than what most people on here because they get too emotionally attached to fringe players) just take a look back at what we did in the 2020 off season.
We delisted a heap that year and even re rookied some who became UFAs such as Schultz (infamously) and Banfield.

But it crucially freed up the list spots to roll the dice on a young tall forward at around 3:05 pm the day after the main draft, at pick 7 in the rookie draft.

He was a nobody back then that didn’t register on anyone’s radar that day bar the most extreme of draft nerds here on BF but 4 years later he might just be the most important player we have.

If we didn’t cut hard on the list in that 2020 off season we wouldn’t have Josh Treacy right now.

We used four picks in the National Draft and live one in rookie list. From 2018 to 2022 (plus Cat B rookies when available) that’s what we did literally every single off season.

We actually cut slightly deeper in 2015-2017 too (an extra rookie pick). Last year we used less National Draft picks but utilised the SSP on two reasonably young players.

We’ve always favoured using a pick in the rookie draft - It wasn’t just the Treacy pick.

Remember the rule (fact actually, over many years of hard data) that only 30% of drafted players play 50 games or more.
If we draft 3, one will make it to 50 games and the others will be busts.
Thats the reality.
Draft 5, including rookie picks, we might get lucky and get two long term players.

The numbers just don’t lie and are the reason every club takes at least 4 or 5 new players in every draft & rookie draft, as an absolute minimum.

Personally I think these numbers are false - Let’s look at our picks between 2016 and 2021 and who’ll get to 50 games

Logue - Yes
Darcy - Yes
Cox - Yes
Ryan - Yes

Brayshaw - Yes
Cerra - Yes
Dixon - No
Crowden - No
North - No
Meek - Yes (May have already?)
Switta - Yes
Jones - No

Sturt - Probably (based off fitness only)
Valente - No
Schultz- Yes
Bewley - No

Young - Yes
Serong - Yes
Henry - Yes
Frederick - Yes

Chapman - Yes (Is he there yet?)
O’Driscoll - 50/50
Walker - Yes
Western - No

Amiss - Yes
Erasmus - 50/50
Johnson - Probably
Benning - No

Reality is IMO 50 games isn’t that many but even if that’s all they play they’d still added useful depth for 3-4 years minimum (assuming it’s a good team).

I’d say a strike rate of 30% would be closer to the success rate of getting to 50 games outside the first round tbh.

Picture this. You're in the WC footy department. Stay with me, stay with me now. And you know you need a PR win to settle in your new coach. You have a player on the hook, ready to go, he's committed but you think you can really energise your fan base by making it seem like he's genuinely a chance for both.

Then you name the coach and shortly after Baker officially nominates West Coast, saying that he feels supremely confident in the future of the club and the coach swung him to the Eagles - or in as few a words as your player can manage.

Suddenly it's King as Coach, Baker endorses the coach, WC steals Baker from Freo, haha suckers Freo, and it's done.

If it's true WC came hard for him I can only laugh. What a bunch of morons spending good capital on Liam Baker with where they are at. Absolutely bizarre. Like, it's kind of being missed but they are starting to delist kids they drafted when the rebuild started...

They need every pick they can get.
Or ….

WC are messing with us and driving Bakers price up
They never had any intention of taking him , they just want best value back from Richmond when they trade pick 3

I don’t even know if that makes sense

🤣🤣🤣
Makes about as much sense as Freo going after Dusty though

Personally I think these numbers are false - Let’s look at our picks between 2016 and 2021 and who’ll get to 50 games

Logue - Yes
Darcy - Yes
Cox - Yes
Ryan - Yes

Brayshaw - Yes
Cerra - Yes
Dixon - No
Crowden - No
North - No
Meek - Yes (May have already?)
Switta - Yes
Jones - No

Sturt - Probably (based off fitness only)
Valente - No
Schultz- Yes
Bewley - No

Young - Yes
Serong - Yes
Henry - Yes
Frederick - Yes

Chapman - Yes (Is he there yet?)
O’Driscoll - 50/50
Walker - Yes
Western - No

Amiss - Yes
Erasmus - 50/50
Johnson - Probably
Benning - No

Reality is IMO 50 games isn’t that many but even if that’s all they play they’d still added useful depth for 3-4 years minimum (assuming it’s a good team).

I’d say a strike rate of 30% would be closer to the success rate of getting to 50 games outside the first round tbh.
It’s total listed AFL players, regardless of where they were drafted, as far as I know.
You forgot guys like
Jason carter
Ryan nyhuis
Taylin Duman
Jarvis Pina
Isiah butters
Leno thomas
Dylan o reilly
Sebit kuek
Strnardica
Grey
Deluca
Giro
Watson
Worner
Williams
Reidy

I know these guys are generally less likely to play more games than higher draft picks, but they are still AFL players taking up list spots.

Baker would be a good get for us but he would just be collecting a salary with Freo. His heart is at West Coast, can we rely on someone like that?
One of Baker's attributes that I love the most is that he has that dawwwwg in him. Absolutely zero doubt in my mind that once he's at the club he'd be right next to Lukey Ryan at every scrap.

Plus, seeing West Coast get pumped continously by 60+ points every weekend would probably help.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back