List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

What is the maximum (walk away point) you would pay for Bolton.

• 9 OR 10

Votes: 12 8.2%
  • 9 & 25

Votes: 27 18.5%
  • 9 & 17

Votes: 70 47.9%
  • 9 & F1

Votes: 17 11.6%
  • 9 & 10

Votes: 18 12.3%
  • 9, 10 & 17

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sliding doors moment of rushing Alex Pearce back for games against Melbourne and WC instead of giving him 2 extra weeks to heal could be the difference between missing the 8 and winning a flag this year.
Extra healing would not have saved him from that second fracture if the plate was still insitu.
And the plate would still have been in 2 weeks later.

One was pick 20. The other pick 61.
And in 2009, Fyfe was pick 20 & Sheppard was pick 7.
Where they are drafted should make no difference after a few years in the system
Yes, I know I am probably the one Freo fan here who has not gotten over Brayshaw at pick 2, but if we can't be hypocritical online, where can we? :)

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Small forwards? Cameron sure. Rayner and Bailey are part time midfielders. Lohmann is a Medium forward. Ah Chee was kicking less goals a game than Walters this year.

Is there answer then to have more midfielders play forward roles instead? Can't fit them in the middle then get them in the forward line?
Like Warner, who regularly lines up at half forward?

You're not the first to point it out, but you're absolutely right. So much better than just repeating the same part twice.

I'm surprised we haven't adopted it already. I'd love to see it debuted after our first flag. Imagine the boys heading down to the rooms, jubilant as hell, they've made history. Made a legacy as immortals of our football club. Link arm in arm and then:

"WEEEEEEE'RRRRREEEEEEE"
Without the high pitched "wooooo's" most clubs seem to incorporate into their team songs, live

And in 2009, Fyfe was pick 20 & Sheppard was pick 7.
Where they are drafted should make no difference after a few years in the system
Yes, I know I am probably the one Freo fan here who has not gotten over Brayshaw at pick 2, but if we can't be hypocritical online, where can we? :)

That’s just dumb. Of course it makes a difference. I can’t even be bothered to provide reason.
I guess I’m just upset that Bollenhagen never really kicked on from his 4 games from the 2009 draft. Once in the system he’s no longer a number. His inability to add to his 4 games cost us dearly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a few short term injuries early in the season this year that may have halted any momentum he could’ve had. The TOG is interesting and wasn’t something I was aware of. Thank for sharing that.

There’s some serious underrating of our smaller forwards in here. We lack the real A Grader that most top teams seem to have but I think some just see players do one or two brilliant things a game and think ‘gun’ when in reality the input those players are providing are similar to what Frederick and Switta are providing. Ask opposition fans (not West Coast fans or known Freo bashers) what they think of Frederick and Switta and they certainly wouldn’t be saying we need to replace them to take the next step.

Of course someone needs to go out of the side to fit in an A Grade small forward but I think that’s almost certainly Walters. I would support adding Bolton and a second high end small forward (Pickett or a draft pick) to the list but we might only need one quality small forward to win a flag IMO. Key word is ‘might’ - I’m not 100% sure and posters saying we need two might be right.

I think extra midfield depth and being able to hold on in close games would take us the next step as well. The latter alone probably means we’re top four this season.
Small forwards? Cameron sure. Rayner and Bailey are part time midfielders. Lohmann is a Medium forward. Ah Chee was kicking less goals a game than Walters this year.

Is there answer then to have more midfielders play forward roles instead? Can't fit them in the middle then get them in the forward line?
A more specific way to describe it might be our non-key/tall forwards.
I’d suggest our unit of mediums and smalls is a fair way off the two prelim finalists last night as things stand right now (excluding Bolton or any trade ins).
These are the players from Geelong, Brisbane and Freo that played in the prelim yesterday as medium, small for half forwards:

Charlie Cameron
Kai Lohmann
Cal Ah Chee
Cam Rayner

Tyson Stengle
Gryan Miers
Brad Close
Shaun Mannagh
Oliver Henry
Ollie Dempsey

Cats went with two talls in Neale and Cameron while the lions went with three in Daniher, Hipwood and Morris.
I didn’t even mention that Lincoln McCarthy - a very very good AFL player - will be back in this Brisbane side next year.

Most of the cats and lions players listed above are proven matchwinners. Some are amongst the absolute elite in the AFL in those positions.

From a freo point of view we have three fine young talls in Amiss, Treacy and Jackson. While none are the finished article they are all trending well to varying degrees.

Heres our current set of mediums/smalls and half forward flankers:
Sturt
Switkowski
Banfield
Frederick
Emmett
Walters

They we are down to some untried kids like Delean and Simpson and I think they should not really be considered as every other AFL team has similar aged teenagers developing but still unproven, just like them.

For good measure here is Sydney’s set of small and medium forwards and half forward flankers:
Tom Papley
Will Haywood
Luke Parker
Brayden Campbell
Then people like Heeney and McInerney rotate though the forward line quite a bit.

Even if we add Bolton I still think our unit of non-tall forwards is not close to the level of the best teams. There would also be the issue that he would immediately be possibly the most critical player not to get injured.
If we do go into a final next year with even 3 of Emmett Walters, Banfield and Switta all in the 22, forget about it.

Hearing from a couple of separate people now that Switta might be asking to get sent back to Victoria.
Would love to keep 2 first round picks this year and bring Bolton just with 9 or 10.

9 and Swita for Bolton. Probably not straight with Richmaond but including a 3rd team

A more specific way to describe it might be our non-key/tall forwards.
I’d suggest our unit of mediums and smalls is a fair way off the two prelim finalists last night as things stand right now (excluding Bolton or any trade ins).
These are the players from Geelong, Brisbane and Freo that played in the prelim yesterday as medium, small for half forwards:

Charlie Cameron
Kai Lohmann
Cal Ah Chee
Cam Rayner

Tyson Stengle
Gryan Miers
Brad Close
Shaun Mannagh
Oliver Henry
Ollie Dempsey

Cats went with two talls in Neale and Cameron while the lions went with three in Daniher, Hipwood and Morris.
I didn’t even mention that Lincoln McCarthy - a very very good AFL player - will be back in this Brisbane side next year.

Most of the cats and lions players listed above are proven matchwinners. Some are amongst the absolute elite in the AFL in those positions.

From a freo point of view we have three fine young talls in Amiss, Treacy and Jackson. While none are the finished article they are all trending well to varying degrees.

Heres our current set of mediums/smalls and half forward flankers:
Sturt
Switkowski
Banfield
Frederick
Emmett
Walters

They we are down to some untried kids like Delean and Simpson and I think they should not really be considered as every other AFL team has similar aged teenagers developing but still unproven, just like them.

For good measure here is Sydney’s set of small and medium forwards and half forward flankers:
Tom Papley
Will Haywood
Luke Parker
Brayden Campbell
Then people like Heeney and McInerney rotate though the forward line quite a bit.

Even if we add Bolton I still think our unit of non-tall forwards is not close to the level of the best teams. There would also be the issue that he would immediately be possibly the most critical player not to get injured.
If we do go into a final next year with even 3 of Emmett Walters, Banfield and Switta all in the 22, forget about it.

You just ruined every point you tried to make by including Switta in that last sentence.

You might as well say we’re not winning a premiership because we have Heath Chapman or Brennan Cox in our back line. He’s a similar level of player.

Hearing from a couple of separate people now that Switta might be asking to get sent back to Victoria.
Would love to keep 2 first round picks this year and bring Bolton just with 9 or 10.

9 and Swita for Bolton. Probably not straight with Richmaond but including a 3rd team
Only way I want us to let Switta go is if it’s to get Pickett. Otherwise keep him another year.

You just ruined every point you tried to make by including Switta in that last sentence.

You might as well say we’re not winning a premiership because we have Heath Chapman or Brennan Cox in our back line. He’s a similar level of player.
He doesn’t kick enough goals.
I think he’s good enough in other aspects that you can carry his crippling inability to hit the scoreboard enough, but only if he is surrounded by elite talent in almost all of the other positions in the forward half.

A perfect example was the recent miss v port at a crucial stage, a routine set shot for someone at this level missed then 10 seconds later from the kick in JHF goaled - the ultimate two goal swing, kick in the guts for the team.
That kind of thing is just so ****ing demoralising for the team.

Switta would be amazing surrounded by Bolton and Papley and Charlie Cameron types. We could carry his inability to kick goals then and the other guns around him could make it up.

But Switta, surrounded by Sturt, Banfield Emmett, Walters?
Nah, Not going to cut it.

Sturt, Freddy, Switta are plenty good enough.
Walters was but not any more sadly.
The rest are below par.
Add Bolton we have the necessary firepower
Add Pickett as well and we're as talented as any forward line in it

Oh man some muppet with a twitter account made some shit up about us offering Brad close half a million bucks a year and now it’s being discussed as some sort of legitimate option

May aswell ponder how beau mccreery would go in our team
About as relevant
It may quicken Richmond in their thinking about Bolton's trade value???

I would rather keep 10 and trade 16 and 27 with 9 to Richmond for Bolton. If we traded and 9 and 10 and both those players became guns it could look really bad for the club. If Richmond get a gun with a pick 16 that becomes 20 then that is just shrewd drafting. 10 gets us a look at Bo Allan and Berry. Arguably Richmond need quantity in the draft and we just need one good quality pick.

9,16 and 27 for Bolton with big salary paid for first two years is more than fair. Richmond can package 27 with their later picks and get Brisbane's first as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back