List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting to see if Borlase has been signed or not. Keane is a better player than Borlase for sure.
Keeping Borlase provides great depth, but is not a need.

I am concerned that we have put ourselves in a position where we lack flexibility in our list management again.

With the recent resignings, I'd love to know what our list management strategy actually is.

I can't understand so much criticism re Borlase. If you watched his earliest SANFL games you would see his improvement trajectory has been enormous. I dunno if he was late to footy given he lived overseas but he was bad at the start. He's now got to the point of being a serviceable back up now, despite having had his slow, short, unagile body all this time. This suggests he works bloody hard and is bloody coachable. Rutten was slow but went alright. Like Rutten, Borlase uses his brain and game knowledge to do his best to compensate for his speed. He's good already but he can get a bit better in that dept yet. If the guy even goes close to improving in the next two years even 20% of what he's done the last two years he'll be our best defender. We're a young inexperienced team, at some point you've gotta hold on to some guys you've got games into for a bit who knows the game plan and can come in and you have a fair idea what you'll get and this is one of those times. Two years isn't long and by then we'll have a better idea where Turray and Curtin are at as well. It seems a good call to me. I'm still calling it that he'll improve nicely in the next two years and push the others to perform.

I can't understand so much criticism re Borlase. If you watched his earliest SANFL games you would see his improvement trajectory has been enormous. I dunno if he was late to footy given he lived overseas but he was bad at the start. He's now got to the point of being a serviceable back up now, despite having had his slow, short, unagile body all this time. This suggests he works bloody hard and is bloody coachable. Rutten was slow but went alright. Like Rutten, Borlase uses his brain and game knowledge to do his best to compensate for his speed. He's good already but he can get a bit better in that dept yet. If the guy even goes close to improving in the next two years even 20% of what he's done the last two years he'll be our best defender. We're a young inexperienced team, at some point you've gotta hold on to some guys you've got games into for a bit who knows the game plan and can come in and you have a fair idea what you'll get and this is one of those times. Two years isn't long and by then we'll have a better idea where Turray and Curtin are at as well. It seems a good call to me. I'm still calling it that he'll improve nicely in the next two years and push the others to perform.
Borlase being re-signed isn't an issue.
The 2 years bit is silly.

its very simple

he coughs up goals he shouldn't

he provides zero attack

he is slow and cannot turn

he fumbles and puts others under pressure

yes he can mark but thats it

Current list maths after re-signing Borlase and Bond

Senior List

OUT:
Sloane (retired)
McHenry (unsigned)
Gollant (unsigned)
Himmelberg (unsigned)

IN:
Neal-Bullen
Pick 4
Second draft pick (Welsh F/S)
FREE LIST SPOT (pick 25 or other acquisition)

Rookie List

OUT:
Parnell (unsigned)
Hamill (unsigned)

IN:
T. Murray
FREE LIST SPOT
Smith?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My question is whether we need that much backup, given the number of KPDs ahead of him in the queue. I have no objection to his quality as a depth player.
We did this year!

We have delisted a contracted player in the past - but it was a very long time ago. Thomas Lee was delisted after only 1 year on the list... but that was 15 years ago.

I'd say there's a high probability that Burgess will be delisted. His salary wouldn't be big enough to cause us TPP problems, and all indications are that we won't have enough list positions available if he doesn't go. Right now, his future is hanging in the balance, depending on how many trades & free agents the club is able to land.

Maybe Alan Obst too?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

You may not know but I can inform you Borlase was born in Cairo Egypt and spent a whole 3 months there before Daryl moved the family to Melbourne for several years before relocating back to Adelaide, played junior footy from the get go for the Unley Jets, Prince Alfred and then Sturt U16's through to U18's and in his draft year he played U18's and reserves before playing 2 League games for Sturt. He's been in the SA elite pathway from the get go.

Last edited:
It's even simpler, he's currently almost as good as our other defenders and will get plenty better.
Surely you jest. He's been available multi times and had zero interest, 1 year at the very best should be all he got.

Big ifs there and I’m not confident of Cummings and Luko
If we have to choose one, I'm taking Cumming.

Don't want to part with our F1 pick.

You may not know but I can inform you Borlase was born in Cairo Egypt and spent a whole 3 months there before Daryl moved the family to Melbourne for several years before relocating back to Adelaide, played junior footy from the get go for the Unley Jets, Prince Alfred and then Sturt U16's through to U18's and in his draft year he played U18's and reserves before playing 2 League games for Sturt. He's been in the SA elite pathway from the get go.
Also won the b&f for PAC in his senior year, ahead of our first-round midfield selection Luke Pedlar.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Back