Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Has the West Australian turned into 'Where's Wally'? I've been looking at that back page for a few minutes and can't see Harley Reid anywhere!

It must be one of those 'Magic eye' pictures where you have to squint and an image appears of Harley riding a Kangaroo 😜
You think it's all clear then you open up the paper and glamour shots of Harley just waterfall out.

Love this board - we have a deeply passionate cultural discourse occurring in this thread simultaneously as 3 pages of endless dick jokes and puns in the injury thread.

It's been a long bye week
Wait till you read the poo stories in the roast thread

So instead of ideology you are saying that by wanting to look hip and groovy to people who hold to that ideology we aren't taking violence against women seriously?

Doesn't sound like a different argument than mine. And the strawman that is your second paragraph is not a claim that I made or part of the discussion.

So tell me again, how what you are saying here is much different to what I have said?
I guess my argument is that wanting to look hip and groovy re prevailing trends in thought can be separate to the whole problem of people not taking violence against women seriously. You have wedded two concepts together and this particular Laidley incident certainly allows you to do that but given you are a rightwing warrior, you need to be told that transgender issues and violence against women are not inextricably linked.

Indeed, the appalling statistics concerning violence against women in this country very clearly indicate that it is biological heterosexual males responsible for the overwhelming majority of shit behavour toward women.

Sadly, when I defended Laidley's wishes to be known as a she, I had forgotten she was responsible for some pretty shit behaviour. (It is difficult to hold all the drug****ed behavour of former Eagles in mind). But, even with that, it is still the case that I think respecting someone else's wishes re gender identity isn't too much of an ask. Even if you think they're wrong or deluded or mentally ill or whatever else the **** I have been reading in this thread.

The problem of the AFL persistently providing safe harbour for men or former men who have behaved violently and/or shittily to women is a whole other issue - and one I agree with s_wd6 on and I feel I owe an apology in that regard.

I think this could be accurately retold as:

Violated a restraining order 100 times, threatened the woman physically by saying they would run her over with a car and called her female slurs.

Re-writing it to a bad week with unwanted texts and phone calls is a bit flippant.

Violence against women is a massive problem. From what I know the justice system fails women metronomically, the results can be fatal for victims, the damage irreparable for them and their families.

s_wd6 had already phrased the situation exactly as you have retold it posh, I think the point of difference I have with s_wd6 is abundantly clear by their comment:

"I actually don't believe it's fair for people who have directly abused others to be forgiven and to be platformed publicly like they are heroes" - s_wd6

As a victim of CSA I understand this sentiment intimately and while I fundamentally disagree with the statement, I want to take my leave from commenting further on this matter by applauding s_wd6 and others for advocating for victims so vigorously.

Last edited:
This next one comes under miscellaneous. I was browsing Reddit and saw a post about Noam Chomsky. (For those unfamiliar Noam Chomsky is a famous intellectualism who writes books criticising the West that nobody actually finishes.)

What caught my eye was the subreddit that made the front page with a post linking a Chomsky story was called r/anime_titties.

I did some further investigation and thought it amusing enough to share. Anime_titties is ranked eighth for news subreddit a.

View attachment 2018212
It is called that because world politics was too full of t***ies: View attachment 2018213

*Tony_Clifton is currently browsing r/world_politics
I've never encountered a person being described as an "intellectualism" before :)

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I guess my argument is that wanting to look hip and groovy re prevailing trends in thought can be separate to the whole problem of people not taking violence against women seriously. You have wedded two concepts together and this particular Laidley incident certainly allows you to do that but given you are a rightwing warrior, you need to be told that transgender issues and violence against women are not inextricably linked.

Indeed, the appalling statistics concerning violence against women in this country very clearly indicate that it is biological heterosexual males responsible for the overwhelming majority of shit behavour toward women.

Sadly, when I defended Laidley's wishes to be known as a she, I had forgotten she was responsible for some pretty shit behaviour. (It is difficult to hold all the drug*ed behavour of former Eagles in mind). But, even with that, it is still the case that I think respecting someone else's wishes re gender identity isn't too much of an ask. Even if you think they're wrong or deluded or mentally ill or whatever else the * I have been reading in this thread.

The problem of the AFL persistently providing safe harbour for men or former men who have behaved violently and/or shittily to women is a whole other issue - and one I agree with s_wd6 on and I feel I owe an apology in that regard.

You haven't answered the question.

What is the ideology of those who find it hip?

As to the rest, I agree violence against women is a massive problem and think more needs to be done.

Finally, if you can define what a right wing warrior is then it might have meaning.

You jumped at me and your main point agreed with everything I said and you still cant provide a point of difference.

It's like those little amoebas and stuff. You know, orgasms. Checkmate.
andy biersack GIF

Violence against women is a massive problem. From what I know the justice system fails women metronomically, the results can be fatal for victims, the damage irreparable for them and their families.

s_wd6 had already phrased the situation exactly as you have retold it posh, I think the point of difference I have with s_wd6 is abundantly clear by their comment:

"I actually don't believe it's fair for people who have directly abused others to be forgiven and to be platformed publicly like they are heroes" - s_wd6

As a victim of CSA I understand this sentiment intimately and while I fundamentally disagree with the statement, I want to take my leave from commenting further on this matter by applauding s_wd6 and others for advocating for victims so vigorously.

So was it just some unwanted calls or did Laidley violate a restraining order 100 times and threaten the woman physically in a way that could cause serious harm all the way to death?

Everything else we all agree on - which is why it is being discussed.

I would be saying the same if Jeff Farmer was being brought to discuss these issues with the Premier.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kingy put Dogga in the gun on this mornings SEN vid and for as much crap as we give him, I actually like his reasoning. At about the 5 minute mark:

He makes good points here. And for Jackson to be the player we want him to be, we need big games against teams like the Dogs.

Screenshot_20240614_161925.jpg

But back to the main topic of conversation, I find it odd that people will say we need to do more in regards to violence against women because it's kind of like saying we should do more to help the environment. The only people who disagree are contrarians or people who are damaged.

As to when Jackson has kicked the goals, I wonder what the numbers look like when Darcy plays vs when he doesn't.
I think it would also be interesting to compare how the forward line performs as a whole when Jackson is playing forward with Sean in the ruck. Jackson changes the dynamics of not just our forward setup but also the oppositions defence.

Last edited:
Fair enough. But if you saw the sort of player she used to be (he at the time was called the junkyard dog because of the way he played). To go from what he was known as, to coming out publicly as a woman would have been a big step and would take a lot of courage. It doesn't excuse the other stuff though.

Laidley was tough, never shirked a footy contest. The term “junkyard dog” was well earned.

Showed a lot of gumption to come out to the public, especially the “Neanderthal” attitudes of the AFL ( players & fans ). Yes, Laids has made some errors (in relation to the law), along the journey, but hopefully she has learnt and tried to re-dress the wrongs.

I really enjoyed listening to Serong on Better Down Back. I found it interesting when he talked about how Cox has been working with Draper, and had been pre-season 'in case of emergency'. It gives you a better understanding of how important Peel is and why our depth is something to admire. This is why players like Will Brodie, Erasmus and others are still so important to us. I also love how Serong and the others talk about players (who aren't in the top 22) are regarded as equal team mates.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back