Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL umpiring isn’t good enough. Simple as that. Excuses like it’s a tough game to umpire doesn’t fly with me - so are so many other sports major sports yet it isn’t the topic of conversation literally every single close game.

You’ve got your head in the sand if you think anything different imo.

This. I get it is a tough gig (especially with constant rule changes and interpretations) but as fans we shouldn't be expecting the bullshit we see week after week at the pinnacle of the sport.

Worst part was they compared our win to Gold Coast as if they were even.

**** me the disrespect we cop is insane.
Didn't get the angst over the Gold Coast win.

It wasn't a great game but they pinch quite a few games against us when they drag it into a close one and for a while, they did drag us back into it. it was a good win after a shocking day against the Dogs. if that's the launchpad for a win like the one on Saturday, who'd complain?

AFL umpiring isn’t good enough. Simple as that. Excuses like it’s a tough game to umpire doesn’t fly with me - so are so many other sports major sports yet it isn’t the topic of conversation literally every single close game.

Doesn't help having 95% of commentators complaining about every decision. Richo does my head in, his special comments are 99% disagreeing with umpiring decisions.

And because half the commentators don't even know the rules, everyone watching thinks its worse than it is because they've got decisions wrong when in reality, the numpty calling the game doesn't know the rules.

Doesn't help having 95% of commentators complaining about every decision. Richo does my head in, his special comments are 99% disagreeing with umpiring decisions.

And because half the commentators don't even know the rules, everyone watching thinks its worse than it is because they've got decisions wrong when in reality, the numpty calling the game doesn't know the rules.

Never said poor umpiring was 100% on the umpires. The AFL both deny it’s a problem and keep adding rules/interpretations that are simply a judgement call not black and white.

The AFL also keeps changing interpretations week after so there’s rules that literally no one fully understands. I doubt even the umpires do - they certainly don’t all umpire certain rules the same way.

Never said poor umpiring was 100% on the umpires. The AFL both deny it’s a problem and keep adding rules/interpretations that are simply a judgement call not black and white.

The AFL also keeps changing interpretations week after so there’s rules that literally no one fully understands. I doubt even the umpires do - they certainly don’t all umpire certain rules the same way.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but I feel like the commentators make the problem seem far worse than it is.

The biggest fallacy of all is that umpiring was better "back in the day". It was as poor back then as it is now.

I watched a few old matches during the initial 2020 shutdown ranging from the Drum era to the early Lyon years and it's the same shit.
Remember the late 2000's when "hands in the back" was made a free? Wildly inconsistent from minute to minute. They only officially changed the rule in 2019 to allow hands in the back but they basically stopped enforcing it after a couple of seasons. Nowadays a push in the back gets called maybe 20% of the time. Different interpretations and eras but same shit.

Last edited:
Anything in this?
Not the first time.

Peek-A-Boo Smh GIF by Carmen Monoxide

What else would he say? Umpiring generally doesn't decide games lbh.
It's the dodgy ones late in the game that people generally get angry about.
We didn't really lose to the Tankers coz of the touched kick, nor the dissent.
We lost it coz we did stupid shit late, after owning the contest for 90% of the game.
Same with last w/end, we did stupid shit to let the Lizard run free.
Umpires haven't been great, but they need to be endorsed or no-one would do it.
Wouldn't have much of a game without umpires
I watch most games most weeks, and trust me the umpiring is abhorant.
Yes a lot is made of late decisions, but there are far too many games changed early by bad calls.The tide of a game swings with umpiring decisons. Only have to look at the Cats Bombers game. Bad calls in the third quarter swung the momentum of the game. It happens too often.
I have not referred to a Docker game in my post. Yep wd havecopped bad decisions, but I am not referring to the Dockers.
Dill has treated the football with total disdain as had Laura Kane.They could get more people, football followers on board if they listened to the supporters.
I have watvhed footy for close to 70 years seen many changes, and for Dill to say it has never been better isvtreating me like a fool.
The game doesn't survive without umpires, but the game doesn't survive without the football followers either.
Stop treatng us as morons. Dill, you don't know the game better than the followers, who keep the game mobile.
Get out and sit in aming the REAL football people. Listen to them. Actually watch games in the crowd, not from behind a glass panel listening to or trying to appease a sponsor.

If people rely on the likes of Taylor to give a view, then they have no idea. I watch and make up my own mind. I don't know all the rules but know enough not to rely on alleged experts because they have played the game.
Even so many of todays players even don't know the nine metre rule when there is an out on the full near a behind post. Neither do the commentators.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People have been saying this is the worst season ever for umpiring pretty much every season of footy ever played.

AFL is becoming a joke. New rules every season, new interpretations every month, umpires and clubs learning on-the-go, officials constantly coming out and saying this and that were the wrong or right decision. It's ruining the game and has ruined results. Some things need to be reverted or set in stone, so the game can be allowed to breathe on it's own. Flippant nonsense.

How much should the umpiring budget per week be? 9 games, 4 field umpires, four line umpires, two goal umpires, one umpiring coordinator and emergency umpire every game.

Is $150,000 a year enough to attract quality field umpires?

The thing is most Field umpires are high achieving Professionals earning $150k+ in their normal careers + what they make from umpiring. No way would they give up there normal jobs to be full time umpires.

How much should the umpiring budget per week be? 9 games, 4 field umpires, four line umpires, two goal umpires, one umpiring coordinator and emergency umpire every game.

Is $150,000 a year enough to attract quality field umpires?
Field umpires make close to a hundred a year and boundary umpires about 50-60.

This was a few years ago.

They want to be part-time because, naturally, they're bankers and school teachers during the day and love the dual income.

They're not doing it for pocket money.

Sorry though Taylor, I know you know most things queen.

Didn't get the angst over the Gold Coast win.

It wasn't a great game but they pinch quite a few games against us when they drag it into a close one and for a while, they did drag us back into it. it was a good win after a shocking day against the Dogs. if that's the launchpad for a win like the one on Saturday, who'd complain?
The headline for when they talked about our game against the Swans was who had the biggest win? Fremantle or Gold Coast.

They were comparing GC winning at home against a team that's in the middle of the pack to us beating the Swans at home without any experienced key defenders.

The headline for when they talked about our game against the Swans was who had the biggest win? Fremantle or Gold Coast.

They were comparing GC winning at home against a team that's in the middle of the pack to us beating the Swans at home without any experienced key defenders.
Gold Coast beat the reigning premiers... barely 'middle of the pack.'

The biggest fallacy of all is that umpiring was better "back in the day". It was as poor back then as it is now.

I watched a few old matches during the initial 2020 shutdown ranging from the Drum era to the early Lyon years and it's the same shit.
Remember the late 2000's when "hands in the back" was made a free? Wildly inconsistent from minute to minute. They only officially changed the rule in 2019 to allow hands in the back but they basically stopped enforcing it after a couple of seasons. Nowadays a push in the back gets called maybe 20% of the time. Different interpretations and eras but same shit.
They relaxed push in the back because paying it would band out 90% of the rare speccies we get now.

Gold Coast beat the reigning premiers... barely 'middle of the pack.'
Good thing it's not 2023 anymore.

The Pies are 4th out of 11 teams that are split by less than 2 games all the way down to 13th - which also includes us.

Until results prove otherwise for mine all those teams are in the middle of the pack.

AFL umpiring isn’t good enough. Simple as that. Excuses like it’s a tough game to umpire doesn’t fly with me - so are so many other major sports yet it isn’t the topic of conversation pretty much every single close game.

It's awful but I honestly don't think it's the umpires fault.

The rulebook is an absolute mess and completely foreign to how the game is actually played.

It needs to be rewritten.

While on umpires, what has happened to the female members of the umpiring fraternity we had last year.?

The AFL probably realised that Eleni was useless.

If people rely on the likes of Taylor to give a view, then they have no idea. I watch and make up my own mind. I don't know all the rules but know enough not to rely on alleged experts because they have played the game.
Even so many of todays players even don't know the nine metre rule when there is an out on the full near a behind post. Neither do the commentators.

Unfortunately, you are definitely in the minority. The commentators absolutely influence.

Not only that, but who wants to listen to somebody whine? Even if they were right 100% of the time (they're not), I still don't want to hear it. Say something interesting instead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back