Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

This will make me perhaps the most hated man on Bigfooty but...

I think the umpiring is actually pretty good o_O

Don't get me wrong, I bellow and shout blue murder at 'You cheating ^#$% a**holes' as much as the worst of us.

But perhaps 50% of the time when I have blown my stack and rewatch the offensive incident I have to eat humble pie, having to acknowledge one of a) it wasn't as clear cut as I thought or b) surprise, surprise, the trained, dedicated professional on the spot was right and way better than the one-eyed purple a***hole hurling the abuse. (One-eyed, purple a***hole, I truly only just realised what I said. There's a delightful image. Even before it starts hurling abuse. )

The bottom line is the nature of our game. It is fast, intense, lots going on, highly combative and complex. The things we love about it make it hard to adjudicate.

I could list a dozen rule/interpretations that piss me right off and SHOULD BE FIXED IMMEDIATELY. Many have been mentioned in this thread.

TLDR: let's talk but not be too hard on the umpys, they are better than all of us, and without them we'd have nothing to do on the weekends.

If the money's so good and you can do a better job, go ahead and sign up! LFG!
This year has been the worst for some time for howlers by the umps in closing stages of close matches. If the talent is not there they need to revert back to 3 umpires as the fourth has not really made any significant difference. The more umpires on the field the more there is confusion as they all have their different intrepretation of things like no sufficient intent, holding the ball, etc. On the weekend the umpire obviously told McDonald that he couldn't arc off his mark, yet he clearly went outside a direct line on his mark to goal and it should have been called as play on which is game over.

This year has been the worst for some time for howlers by the umps in closing stages of close matches. If the talent is not there they need to revert back to 3 umpires as the fourth has not really made any significant difference. The more umpires on the field the more there is confusion as they all have their different intrepretation of things like no sufficient intent, holding the ball, etc. On the weekend the umpire obviously told McDonald that he couldn't arc off his mark, yet he clearly went outside a direct line on his mark to goal and it should have been called as play on which is game over.
The umpire told him you can run an arc, you just have to kick over the man on the mark.

The umpire told him you can run an arc, you just have to kick over the man on the mark.
He didn't though, he sprayed it to the right.

Old School Yes GIF

Good thing it's not 2023 anymore.

The Pies are 4th out of 11 teams that are split by less than 2 games all the way down to 13th - which also includes us.

Until results prove otherwise for mine all those teams are in the middle of the pack.
What a stupid metric.

Melbourne are a worse side than Collingwood, had no Petracca, their other great mid is all over the place, and their coach has um 'question marks' around him.

You can write whatever narrative you'd like but the idea that it wasn't a big moment for the Sunnys is a bit delusional and only made to pump up the Dockers.

Multiple sides can have charismatic wins. this sort of 'don't ruin our moment!' shit is very West Coast supporter-y.

The champion data "defensive profile" doesn't mean points conceded. It's other metrics like the teams ability to stop scores when conceding an inside 50, ability to stop teams scoring from a turnover etc.

Not sure if we've always been by far the best clearance team under JL, but I suspect not and we've defended fine. If it isn't sustainable I suspect he'll tweak it.

I also think a big part of it is that we have lots of young defenders (by league standards). As they mature, they'll win more contests and some of those numbers will improve.

The interesting point of this analysis is that it strays into double jeopardy territory. IF we lose clearances, THEN we can’t defend as well.

It’s an interesting trend but it’s a big IF. I’m sure you could probably find something like this for every other team. I wonder if in looking at the collection of those stats “offensive” and “defensive”, some scale has been lost. Sure our defence from stoppage may be bad, but if we almost never lose stoppage then who cares.

I’m not sure Sydney would be worried that if you shut down their big 3, then they may lose. That just doesn’t happen enough to worry
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, esp. about every team similarly having an area of their game you could highlight as some major weakness.

The most interesting thing about his analysis was the bit that's not stats based: the 15 second window before the team defense gets organised. Not that it's a radical insight, but it helps make concrete the significance of the correlation between losing / breaking even on centre clearances and losing the game, or rather the fact that one-on-one defense cannot be assumed to correlate with team defense.

We get Cox back this week, most likely, and it will be interesting to see whether the scores conceded from centre clearance stat starts to come down. Not immediately, but once he's back up to speed.

Gerard Healy has talked us up again on SEN Sportsday

Reckons we are coming and can win the comp this year.

And basically should be winning one in the next 3 years.

I think if we can add Warner and Treacy, Amiss and Jackson continue on their merry way we are a shot for sure in the next few years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are actually one of the more consistent teams. We've had two stinkers all season, off the bye and against a team who played their grand final for the year and that we thought we could just roll. Our brand holds up, Richmond have literally half the list injured and are half way to Cancun already.

We are going to win this comfortably

We are actually one of the more consistent teams. We've had two stinkers all season, off the bye and against a team who played their grand final for the year and that we thought we could just roll. Our brand holds up, Richmond have literally half the list injured and are half way to Cancun already.

Personally, I think we'll win easily and I can't see what could possibly go wrong :)

ducks for cover

I had to laugh when Caro said we were frustratingly impossible to tip on her podcast this week. We’ve lost 2 out of the last 9 matches, and we weren’t favourites for either of them.

I think we need David King to come out & say we’re shit to balance this out.

It’s very uncomfortable.

Champion Data already came out and said "Well actually, they're shit"

Interesting to see how we have become so bad defensively after becoming so good from an offensive standpoint. I'll be interested to see how that changes when we get both Moose and Cox into the backline.

The champion data "defensive profile" doesn't mean points conceded. It's other metrics like the teams ability to stop scores when conceding an inside 50, ability to stop teams scoring from a turnover etc.

Not sure if we've always been by far the best clearance team under JL, but I suspect not and we've defended fine. If it isn't sustainable I suspect he'll tweak it.

I also think a big part of it is that we have lots of young defenders (by league standards). As they mature, they'll win more contests and some of those numbers will improve.
The cascading effect of when we don't win clearance our ball movement (typically) then being rather turgid afterwards probably has a fairly sizeable impact on it as well I would've thought

Remove this Banner Ad

Back