List Mgmt. 2024 National Draft - November 20-21

Remove this Banner Ad

We all know that Derek Hine would need a gun to his head to draft a key position player in the National Draft, but I think there's one thing likely to turn his head, and that's a player with a ridiculous or complicated name.

I've compiled this list of KPPs with ridiculous names that Derek Hine won't be able to resist considering:

Gabriel Stumpf - Geelong Falcons

Floyd Burmeister - GWV Rebels

Harrison Ramm - Glenelg

Jay Polkinghorne - Norwood

Tallan Rosenzweig - Central District

I look forward to seeing these guys be passed up in favour of a small half forward flanker named Dick Doodlebum though.
I think that the pressure is really on Hine & his recruiting team to bring in at least 1 - if not 2 - key position players when the club heads to the National Draft later in the year. Why? Because I can clearly recall Craig McRae after the home & away season ended saying that he wants key position players - and if my memory is right, a key forward - this year. I would assume that this applies to out picks in the National Draft. OK. In my opinion, we do not need any more half-back flankers or small forwards. However a competent & potentially a big-bodied mid-fielder would also be very useful. Here's hoping!

In my opinion, we do not need any more half-back flankers or small forwards. However a competent & potentially a big-bodied mid-fielder would also be very useful.
I just want, for once, for Collingwood to DESPERATELY need more half back flankers and small forwards. I assume, if you put enough resources into drafting big bodied clearance midfielders and key position players, that eventually we will run out of the enormous excess of half back flankers and small forwards that we always have... But I just want to know what that feels like.

If we try being fully stocked with KPPs and big bodied midfielders on our list, and we find that we absolutely hate it, then sure, happy to go back to nothing but flankers, but until we've given it a go at least once, I really feel like we can't write it off as something we don't like.

Here is the HS's best 30-60 players, doesn't mean they'll go here, could go higher, or fall further.

30. Noah Mraz - 198cm def
31. Ben Camporeale - 186cm mid (Carlton F/S)
32. Hamish Davis - 190cm fwd/mid
33. Jack Ough - 194cm def/mid
34. Harrison Oliver - 181cm def
35. James Barrat - 194cm def/fwd
36. Logan Smith - 204cm ruck (Giants Academy)
37. Lachie Jacques - 184cm def
38. Harry O'Farrell - 197cm def
39. Angus Clarke - 189cm def
40. Archer-Day Wicks - 186cm fwd
41. Kayle Gerryn - 199cm fwd/ruck
42. Adrian Cole - 194cm def (St Kilda NGA)
43. Tom Sims - 199cm fwd/ruck
44. Charlie Nicholls - 197cm fwd/def
45. Floyd Burmeister - 199cm ruck/fwd
46. Nathaniel Sulzberger - 187cm fwd/mid
47. Xavier Ivisic- 180cm fwd/mid
48. Joel Cochran - 194cm def (Sydney Academy)
49. Josh Dolan - 177cm fwd/mid
50. Clancy Dennis - 195cm def
51. Lennox Hofmann - 190cm def (St Kilda NGA)
52. Lucas Camporeale - 184cm mid/def
53. Jasper Alger - 183cm fwd
54. Bailey Mckenzie - 191cm fwd
55. Riley Bice - 185cm def (mature ager)
56. Malakai Champion - 172cm fwd (Eagles NGA)
57. Tyler Welsh - 191cm fwd (Adelaide F/S)
58. Sam Davidson - 191cm fwd (mature ager)
59. Sam Toner - 186cm fwd
60. Gabriel Stumpf - 196cm key fwd

I don’t really rate too many on that list, or at least would have other names in there.

However, there is two off that list from down my way and I’ve seen a fair bit of who I didn’t mention and could also be a nice fit:

Xavier Ivisic - Collingwood six footer who cuts up opposition with speed and foot skills. Has acceleration and likes to take the game on. Could be a great future wing or flank option mostly but a real xfactor player when given time in the middle.

(Sorry no clips of Xavier - but he’s No13 if you can be bothered watching the whole game)

Lachie Jaques - Captaincy material? Lachie plays in a similar mould to players like Callum Mills and Nick Vlastuin down back. Intercepts the ball, particularly as third man up and provides a lot of drive with precise ball movement mainly by foot.

Plus a Smokey:

Ollie Warburton - Run and carry, link up and run some more. I definitely can see the comparison to Chad Warner. Like Chad he’s not the biggest body out there, but makes up for it by never really being caught flat footed. He would really suit out game style.

Overall assuming our picks stay the same my short list of the guys I’ve put up in sort of preferential order would be:

Non keys:
Lachie Jaques
Zane Cochrane
Xavier Ivisic
Ollie Warburton
Zak Johnson
Luke Urquhart

Keys:
Tom Simms
Gabriel Stumpf
Jonty Faull

Not sure how many list spots we have, but I’d love to take Quaynor and Kerr as rookie selections too. As much as I’d like the brothers to play together I’d be prioritising Kerr.

I’m sure like most years my opinion doesn’t match the recruiters and some of these blokes will go undrafted.

Last edited:

We all know that Derek Hine would need a gun to his head to draft a key position player in the National Draft, but I think there's one thing likely to turn his head, and that's a player with a ridiculous or complicated name.

I've compiled this list of KPPs with ridiculous names that Derek Hine won't be able to resist considering:

Gabriel Stumpf - Geelong Falcons

Floyd Burmeister - GWV Rebels

Harrison Ramm - Glenelg

Jay Polkinghorne - Norwood

Tallan Rosenzweig - Central District

I look forward to seeing these guys be passed up in favour of a small half forward flanker named Dick Doodlebum though.

If you look at our recent draft history, Dekka has matured and gone off names with easy sexual innuendo giggles - and it's been a disaster with us no longer getting hits or giggles from the draft.

Was Kayle Gerreyn your boy Soups ?

Looks like he’s rated around the mark for us too.
Yep, mentioned him a couple of times I think. Dominates the U18’s.

Watched a couple of his WAFL games where he played ruck/fwd and competed quite well I thought. One of those games, it was a complete mud bath of a ground and he battled hard most of the day.

Could be a handy one to develop fwd, who can pinch hit in the ruck but could be a long bit of development that Steene and Smit currently have so not sure if we go down that path.

Watched a couple of his WAFL games where he played ruck/fwd and competed quite well I thought. One of those games, it was a complete mud bath of a ground and he battled hard most of the day.

Could be a handy one to develop fwd, who can pinch hit in the ruck but could be a long bit of development that Steene and Smit currently have so not sure if we go down that path.

I love the Cats forward structure (and not just because of the players) - a big lump who can hold his ground and be a danger in the packs and two blokes that have4 an aerial and a ground level game.

I think the days of two genuine talls are gone and it's now 1 genuine tall and one or two "third" talls - with smalls streaming in to be a threat at ground level and apply pressure to lock it forward.

At our range, I think the third tall forward types are likely to be the go.

Hi Folks

I have come across another site while checking out players on the previous list, 30 -'60 , namely:

The latter shows information about prospective players in this year's draft well beyond 60 players who we may be interested in drafting with our 3 picks in the 50's. OK. In fact it goes well beyond the 100 number with speculative draft picks. Goodbye & good luck.

Thanks. That was an interesting list. Some of the late ratings, other than Zane Cochrane, marry up more with my thoughts.

I just want us to draft another Kayle that I can fall in love with. I miss my fat boi Kayle Kirby.

If you look at our recent draft history, Dekka has matured and gone off names with easy sexual innuendo giggles - and it's been a disaster with us no longer getting hits or giggles from the draft.
Well he's had Sidebottom and Big Cox that whole time, so he's been sated. But with them approaching retirement, he'll be looking for some replacements I feel. My instincts are normally pretty aligned with Dekka.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane have picks #42 and #43 in the draft... So we could trade our three picks in the 50s for pick #43, and it would be like trading for pick #42, because #42 will cease to exist after their bid matches.

Would increase their points by 280, which is probably good enough to get a deal done. We could target #34, but I think they'd need a bigger points increase to be happy with a trade for that pick - Our picks are only worth around 80 points more than #34.

If Stumpf didn’t make it as a forward he would also have all the attributes to make the shift down back too.
See, and this is why I think you need to be developing a selection of young talls at all times - Because they often don't end up playing where you'd predict.

Even Aaron Naughton, who was drafted in the Top 10 as a key defender, was a surprising convert to the forward line.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 National Draft - November 20-21

Remove this Banner Ad

Back