List Mgmt. 2024 National Draft - November 20-21

Remove this Banner Ad

We're not alone in taking a heap less kids. The rookie draft used to run for nearly as many picks as the National Draft, but list sizes have dropped and now it's mainly mature guys. Last year it was down to 18 guys drafted with most of them from the AFL or state leauges and only a couple of kids.

The 6 or 7 rookies in 2010 were kids drafted really late when teams had bigger lists and regularly added 8-10 kids a year.

No one is doing that with the current list sizes - except Richmond this year - as they've got that many high picks.

To have depth for multiple positions, you need to have about 35 guys who can realistically come in and play a role. Clubs enter the draft with about 3 or 4 blokes already on the list who you wouldn't want to count as depth yet. Leaves about 4 spots - some a couple more and some a couple less - we look like we're aiming for the lower end and are just taking 2 or 3 kids.

When you break down the numbers like that , does show the value of list spots 25 to 40. It really isnt a huge amount of space you can take a punt with.

Backs up our approach with Bytel, Eyre, Long & Sullivan. Ready made to play if required

Just trying to point out that we do draft talls but mostly with speculative picks.

Our only Top 10 draft picks (that we have retained in the last 20 years) have been:
  • 2017 Pick 6 Jaidyn Stephenson F
  • 2014 Pick 5 Jordan De Goey F and Pick 9 Darcy Moore B
  • 2013 Pick 6 Matthew Scharenberg B and pick 10 Nathan Freeman M
  • 2006 Pick 8 Ben Reid B and Pick 10 Nathan Brown B
  • 2005 Pick 2 Dale Thomas M and Pick 5 Scott Pendlebury M
20 years, 9 top 10 draft picks for 3 mids, 4 key backs and 2 medium forwards

That draft hurts. Essentially two other A-graders we couldve had out there. I remember hoping Bont would get to us at 6

Definitely worth another 12 month contract.
Piss him off next year if he shows nothing.
Luckily for us, he's under contract until the end of 2026 :oops:

You'd want him to come good, because if he looks like he did in 2024 again, carrying him an extra year because he's contracted will be rough.

That draft hurts. Essentially two other A-graders we couldve had out there. I remember hoping Bont would get to us at 6
Didn't even need to be A-graders.

It would have been a significant enough improvement to our list that we probably win the flag in 2018 if the two picks had just been like Christian Salem and Blake Acres.

Tom Scully delisted by port. Similar to keeler, a realistic example of late speculative KPP picks.

He is such a lovely fella.

We went down to the first ever womens game at IKON , drove from bendigo , got there as they were locking the gates shut. On our walk to the ground i said to my partner , oh theres our new dratee McLarty , he was running to the game after he had just parked his car.

My partner , messaged him through insta , saying we didnt get to watch the game but the highlight of the night was seeing the new pies draftee jogging past! hah. We didnt expect a reply , but he replied saying that was a shame we didnt get to see the game , but to ask him for any tickets to a game in the future and he would happily help.

It is pretty inspiring he got to a club at the top level with his hearing.

I agree!

That story marries up with everything I've seen of him off field too. Seems like such a good young man. Hopefully everything is going well for him post-AFL.

Realistically a few won't make it, will be delisted, and replaced with a new round of "non-depth" pieces.
Definitely.

But a couple will probably show something at AFL and move up into the 35 seniors and depth for 2026. Eg this year, Richards (although traded), Allan, Dean (if he gets a contract) Parker. There's our 3 draft spots and Smit already added as a developing guy - 4 developing guy vacancies, without having to cut guys early.

If none move into that depth category or above, you've got to cut the developing guys pretty early to maintain a squad of 35 that have shown they could step in and play a role.

Last edited:
Worth pointing out that any long-term injuries eat into those numbers as well. We selected additional mature age guys last year because we had McStay with a knee and Murphy with the eventual retirement hanging over him, so we were even less able to select untried kids to replace that depth.

I've got our least viable reserves players currently as Smit, Steene, DeMattia and Jiath (despite him making his debut in 2024). Assuming we add Membrey, and take three kids at the draft, that list will sit at 7 players you can't rely on to play, which out of a list of 42 gives us 35 "contributors". The hope would then be that a couple of the existing 4 guys go on to prove that they're at least viable depth by the end of 2025.

We have the luxury of Wil Parker sitting outside the main list and being a very viable senior option in our reserves too. Really big resource to get a free additional player.
I'm sure that's why we delisted Kreuger and Eyre - if they spend most of their time in rehab, we're two players down.

We're not alone in taking a heap less kids. The rookie draft used to run for nearly as many picks as the National Draft, but list sizes have dropped and now it's mainly mature guys. Last year it was down to 18 guys drafted with most of them from the AFL or state leauges and only a couple of kids.

The 6 or 7 rookies in 2010 were kids drafted really late when teams had bigger lists and regularly added 8-10 kids a year.

No one is doing that with the current list sizes - except Richmond this year - as they've got that many high picks.

To have depth for multiple positions, you need to have about 35 guys who can realistically come in and play a role. Clubs enter the draft with about 3 or 4 blokes already on the list who you wouldn't want to count as depth yet. Leaves about 4 spots - some a couple more and some a couple less - we look like we're aiming for the lower end and are just taking 2 or 3 kids.

Yeah personally I'd prefer we hit up the draft a bit more or rookie draft.
Even if by only another pick or 2.

SSP is fine but imo only 1 or 2.

Would love to see the numbers on teams selecting draft age players in draft or rookie listed over last 10 years.
You stated all teams are doing it but I'd like to see the data on that.

Give me players in their prime. Feck the draft.
Perryman. Houston, Membrey.
Thanks ❤️

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 National Draft - November 20-21

Remove this Banner Ad

Back