List Mgmt. 2024 National Draft - November 20-21

Remove this Banner Ad

Unless we made an unreasonably bold call and upgraded Wil Parker to the senior list
There wouldn't be a point. You'd just draft Kerr if you wanted both Kerr and Parker on the list. It's the same outcome. One of them on the senior list and one on the cat b rookie list. Just a different name on a different list.

There wouldn't be a point. You'd just draft Kerr if you wanted both Kerr and Parker on the list. It's the same outcome. One of them on the senior list and one on the cat b rookie list. Just a different name on a different list.
The only reasons would be to be sure that you can use him as much as you want to, and to get him on a long term contract, which it seems too early for at this stage.

The only reasons would be to be sure that you can use him as much as you want to, and to get him on a long term contract, which it seems too early for at this stage.

They can give them any length contract they want regardless of what list they're on. And Cat Bs don't require an injury to be able to play - they can use him as much as they want regardliess of list.

They can give them any length contract they want regardless of what list they're on. And Cat Bs don't require an injury to be able to play - they can use him as much as they want regardliess of list.
I didn't realise Cat Bs weren't restricted on games, but regardless, my point was that they wouldn't do it anyway, even if there was a valid reason. Just that it was the only thing that would make that possible.

I didn't realise Cat Bs weren't restricted on games, but regardless, my point was that they wouldn't do it anyway, even if there was a valid reason. Just that it was the only thing that would make that possible.
Condon might not be added this year. So it's an outside possibility - with the intent of upgrading Parker next year assuming he goes alright.

If I ever write a book about an AFL footballer, his name will be Charlie Nichols. He'll star early. There may be a few scandals and a couple of years lost to cocaine and prostitutes. But he'll deliver glory in the end. Get him and a good scandal manager, Leppa.
Reminds me of a quote of George Best: "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

This is being overblown a bit on here. I just did another phantom and our selections came at 49, 52 and 54.

Of course that doesn't factor in any early over-reach bids, live trading, etc.
Maybe leppa knows something we dont? lol Maybe factoring in that few picks will be absorbed.
He reckons it'll come in by about 10.

This is being overblown a bit on here. I just did another phantom and our selections came at 49, 52 and 54.

I still think you’re underestimating where bids will come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't it rounded to two Cat B around covid? Did they put that back since?
Wiki says 3 for 2025, but who knows how accurate that is?

Each club is allowed to maintain a list of up to six eligible Category A rookies and three Category B rookies. Up to three rookies can be retained, with the player's permission for a second or third season, [2] with the others having to be either delisted or elevated to the primary list at the time of the National Draft. Only half of the salary paid by a club to players on the rookie list counts towards the league's salary cap.

Wiki says 3 for 2025, but who knows how accurate that is?

Each club is allowed to maintain a list of up to six eligible Category A rookies and three Category B rookies. Up to three rookies can be retained, with the player's permission for a second or third season, [2] with the others having to be either delisted or elevated to the primary list at the time of the National Draft. Only half of the salary paid by a club to players on the rookie list counts towards the league's salary cap.
Found the CBA

AFL Player Lists
Each Club will maintain their AFL Lists during the Terms as follows:
(a) The number of AFL Players on the Club’s AFL Primary List will be not more than
38 and not less than 36;
(b) The number of AFL Players on the Club’s Category A Rookie List will be not more
than 6 provided that a Club must not have more than 42 AFL Players on their AFL
Primary List and Category A Rookie List at any time; and
(c) The number of AFL Players on the Club’s Category B Rookie List will be not more
than 2.

Potentially. If anything I was being conservative. Like I said it depends on any surprise bids, tactical bids etc.
I imagine at the conclusion of night 1, someone will update the draft order and we'll see how far our picks have risen up and then we'll see as we go through round 2/3

Where did you have the matched players going?

I think the list managers would be thinking available players and would ignore slips going back due to the player being taken. So I think leooa meant 10 picks might get used for matching the 4 blokes they think will get bids early enough to be relevant. So it'd move us up a fair bit in terms of available players, but less in terms of actual draft number.

Condon might not be added this year. So it's an outside possibility - with the intent of upgrading Parker next year assuming he goes alright.
If Parker is going to 'make it'....then he has to stay on the Cat B as long as possible.
Correct me if (when) i'm wrong, but it's two years?

So is that two years from when he signed (march)?
or two full AFL seasons?

Big difference....because if its 2 full seasons, he stays on Cat B 25/26 and only upgrades in 27.

Which means at the end of 25.....make the call and sign him for 3 years (26,27,28).
Then front load the heck out of it as a pure cap saving tool for 27 & 28.

Moving him off the list when he looks likely isn't a smart play for cap measures.

Of course....that's assuming he comes off at the end of 26 and we get 1 year of him as Cat B as a known quantity.
Also depends on what other Cat B's are around.

TLDR: don't move him off the list until we have to, especially if he is going to make it.

If Parker is going to 'make it'....then he has to stay on the Cat B as long as possible.

or two full AFL seasons?

Big difference....because if its 2 full seasons, he stays on Cat B 25/26 and only upgrades in 27.

Which means at the end of 25.....make the call and sign him for 3 years (26,27,28).

Moving him off the list when he looks likely isn't a smart play for cap measures.

Of course....that's assuming he comes off at the end of 26 and we get 1 year of him as Cat B as a known quantity.

TLDR: don't move him off the list until we have to, especially if he is going to make it.
Believe you can be on the cat b list now 3 years.
You can be on the Cat A list up to 5 years if you've played 10 or less AFL games.

or two full AFL seasons?

I don't know whether cat b is different but it's gone up to 4 years for cat a.

However with cat a rules, your salary cap saving trick doesn't work. It's only the base wage that sits outside the salary cap, anything over is inside the salary cap.

I'm assuming the rules are same for tenure and salary for a and b, but they might not be.

The way Leppa is talking, we might only be going talls - take 3 talls in the hope of getting 1.
If this is the case not sure I like him making this public. Maybe club's preferences are always an open secret, but it seems like you wouldn't want to give too much away.

My thought would be we'd have a preference for talls but not an overriding one. In practise the draft will probably play out similar to most others, as I'm fairly sure we've had this preference before. Not sure if true, but seems to me this draft has more talls than usual, that may make KPP more likely.

Three talls would definitely be excessive. Would be very surprised if we went that far.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 National Draft - November 20-21

Remove this Banner Ad

Back