Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Shouldn't really matter. You take the best players you can at the picks available to be the best team possible.

If any of the bolded players become surplus to needs then we will be in an awesome position and they can be moved on.

No room for sentiment when it comes to winning flags
This. You take the best available no question. Natural order of things will sort itself out. If it means players like Powell and Phillips ask for trades, so be it. We then trade for a need.

There was so much anticipation and expectation of what Finn would produce coming into his top age season, but up to now he's struggle through a series of set backs and never really come close to resembling the footballer of last year and years prior. He again started slowly here in the first quarter, but when he started dancing in the second quarter, showing some of the tricks he can pull out of his bag, things that few other footballers can match, there was a palpable sense of relief and excitement among watchers that finally the real Finn O'Sullivan might be about to stand up. There are still reasons why you might not choose to take him at pick 1, but at least we've again started to see why you just might.

Thanks noobermensch!

The thing I love about this clip is it highlights Finn’s ability to see the whole ground. Like Kerch, he has that innate ability to see everything in front of him. He recognises open players then with his agility he steps inside and kicks to open players. That ability see the whole field then change of direction and hit a kick across the ground is such an important part of our game and outside of Kerch, Sheez and maybe a few others we don’t have enough players who play that way.

Apologies in advance - I don't know if we have any influence over what recruiters do but I'm posting this around to attempt to ensure that Levi doesn't end up sliding too far. Keep the pressure on.

----

What an incredible debut performance by Levi. He stepped up to VFL level for the first time and played probably his best game for the season, putting a marker out there for the rest of the draft pool to try and reach. He was close to BOG, certainly Brisbane's best and most productive midfielder. Prolific at the coal face winning 11 clearances and spreading with his typical elite work rate and endurance to find a stack of the footy outside the contest, even slotting a sublime running goal from the boundary. Compared to his brother Will, Levi brings a more natural physicality and that was on clear display here.

Thanks noobermensch!

The thing I love about this clip is it highlights Finn’s ability to see the whole ground. Like Kerch, he has that innate ability to see everything in front of him. He recognises open players then with his agility he steps inside and kicks to open players. That ability see the whole field then change of direction and hit a kick across the ground is such an important part of our game and outside of Kerch, Sheez and maybe a few others we don’t have enough players who play that way.
This,,,,was thinking exactly the same,,,,,lowers the eyes and hits targets, thinks his way through things. Having Sheez, McKercher, and FOS delivering inside 50 would be huge. Interesting that despite 12 touches, had 6 score involvements. Without even recruiting a gun key forward, its an instant upgrade on the output of our existing guys, just need to get separation.

Call me old fashion but lets go through the likely top 4-5 midfielders and what is their best position vs secondary position.
eg:

Will Phillips - primary role=rover, secondary role=?

I think it would help really narrow down on what each of the top 1/2 dozen mid prospect best starting position are versus the generic inside/outside mids?

He quite possibly could be.

As others have stated, North's intentions are like fort knox at the moment.

I think go home factors are a larger consideration than they were 5 years ago for draft boards.

3 year contracts help, but JHF was contracted (with the same manager).

There's some knock on effect considerations to our list as well with his recruitment.

Whilst there's no doubt in my mind Draper will be a better AFL footballer than Powell, given his physical profile, is the difference going to big enough to justify not spending the pick on an area which would be an even bigger upgrade?

Where does Draper fit in our midfield mix? In my mind he's a break from stoppage first receiver type that a young Dylan Shiel was at GWS. It would certainly be incredible to have him sitting with LDU off of Sheezel or Wardlaw.

I don't think he's a winger and whilst he think he's much more suited as a half forward than Powell with his pace, agility etc, It would also be a waste taking one of the best clearance mids in the draft with the intention of playing him half forward.

I've watched a lot more vision on him in the last 3 weeks and he's been elevated much higher on my board after his SANFL form, I'd be pretty happy picking him, but the elephant in the room is what that means for Phillips and Powell, and even Simpkin.
Why couldn't he play wing? To come out of a stoppage to find one of Draper or McKercher with separation would be nice. Both can break the next line and hit targets.

Im not really worried about Powell, we'll always have a spot for somebody with his class and vision. Simpkin plays half forward with reduced mid minutes.

Clubs draft for immediate impact these days (apparently). Which player from the top few would have the most impact early days?
Thats not true i think. That being said if you are drafting someone in the top 5 prob more likely game ready. Duurs was always a push for me this season until he gets more strength and develops cardio. Walter has been spotty with much the same.

My general thought for drafting is mids come on early in terms of playing, Small forwards make quick impacts, KPP take afew years and rucks are impossible to know often can be project players, hense why you get the merry go round in the offseason for rucks.

This year if we drafted KPF from those available i wouldnt be expecting them to get a consistent game until 2-3 years. If we drafted Draper, FOS or Smith I would expect they play 16-23 games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely.

No one knows if the go home factor is even a thing....watching the highlights, he looks like the one to me. If not him, O'Sullivan. Didn't get it much yesterday, but he looked classy when he did.

Both seem like they enjoy laying a tackle too.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Yeah I see this for both of them off admittedly only highlight packages. They're the only two I'd feel comfortable with spending a top 2 pick on, off limited viewing.

Where does Draper fit in our midfield mix? In my mind he's a break from stoppage first receiver type that a young Dylan Shiel was at GWS. It would certainly be incredible to have him sitting with LDU off of Sheezel or Wardlaw.

I don't think he's a winger and whilst he think he's much more suited as a half forward than Powell with his pace, agility etc, It would also be a waste taking one of the best clearance mids in the draft with the intention of playing him half forward.

I've watched a lot more vision on him in the last 3 weeks and he's been elevated much higher on my board after his SANFL form, I'd be pretty happy picking him, but the elephant in the room is what that means for Phillips and Powell, and even Simpkin.

Off his highlights, he looks to me to have about 80% of Wardlaw's manic attack on the footy, combined with 80% of LDU's clearance ability and burst from stoppage. A combination of the pair of them cannot be a bad thing, at least not in any universe where footy's played. The part of the highlights package posted previously where he worries a 194cm Smillie out of the footy through sheer manic attack on it stands out (both positively for Draper and negatively for Smillie). I see now what people are talking about in saying that Smillie doesn't play like his frame suggests he should; a real 194cm contested bull puts Draper into next week and waltzes off in the other direction. Instead Draper takes the footy and his lunch money.

In my view it's FOS #1, then Draper #2. Back yourself in to keep the kid from SA if the Tigers take FOS. However you could simplify the Jagga/FOS both playing in the VFL for the Tiges down to an audition - who performed better? Jagga 22, FOS 11 & two goals? Is it that simple?

I wholeheartedly agree with others though. If Draper is the best footy player and best fit for us, then take him.

If we do draft O’Sullivan. Do we ease him off of half back to begin with. Has the toughness and overhead mark to be more than just a distributor to begin with too.

Wouldn’t be a bad idea. His overhead marking would be a real asset back there too.

Jagga played his third and final VFL game of the season, again playing predominantly in midfield and producing excellent numbers against grown men. This might have been the least impressive of his three VFL outings, but Jagga Smith doesn't play a bad game. His willingness to put his body on the line and wear the hits to win contested footy was a particular feature in this one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back