Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the biggest selling points with Langford is that he can play multiple roles. Inside mid, 2nd/3rd receiver, wing (academy game) or as a deep forward. His overhead marking is as good as any in this draft class.

I think his natural footballing ability will hold him in good stead at AFL level but will that be enough for him to cover some of his athletic deficiencies?

The guys about as fast as Ziebell. He has not appealing athletic traits. Slow, not agile, can’t jump and his yoyo ain’t great.

I’d find it really hard to get on board using pick 2 on a slow mid. I’d actually be ropable.

That’s not going to happen. If the situation was reversed and we had 1,6,7 and traded 6 and 7 for 2 this board would melt.
Our situation is different to the Tiges’.

We already have the majority of our build underway. They are just beginning and their capitulation may be significant.

I realise 2022 draft is different to 2024, but would you have taken 2 top 4 picks (Wardlaw + Sheeze) vs 4 picks with only 1 being a top 5 pick?

But with most the midfield found, a series of mid firsts (if possible to trade in) represents better value for North with where the kpfs and crumbers may fall.

Berry turned in an excellent performance to close out his Champs campaign. He roamed up the ground and had a couple of rotations on ball getting himself involved in attacking ball movement, but the main thing that stood out was his elite pressure inside 50, with all five of his tackles coming in that area, two of them directly leading to shots on goal.

Thank you for all the videos noobermensch! I love draft time and seeing the up and coming talent, but would be starved of footage without your wonderful work.

But can I just say, is anyone else as keen on Berry as I am? I think he would be the most, or up there as my most wanted player from this draft pool. Just not sure how we could land him as he's obviously too much of a reach at #2, but gee I hope we can find a way. He would just make such an impact to our side due to his position and how he plays. Would be a tiny bit devo if he were to slip through and go to another team when we are desperate crying out for a classy, speedy, hard working small forward.

Our situation is different to the Tiges’.

We already have the majority of our build underway. They are just beginning and their capitulation may be significant.

I realise 2022 draft is different to 2024, but would you have taken 2 top 4 picks (Wardlaw + Sheeze) vs 4 picks with only 1 being a top 5 pick?

But with most the midfield found, a series of mid firsts (if possible to trade in) represents better value for North with where the kpfs and crumbers may fall.
It represents better value for us but if I’m Richmond theres no way I’d do that. In what’s such an even top 10 they would be mad to only take 2 players instead of 3. Different if it was last year as most had Reid and Mckercher at 1 and 2.

The guys about as fast as Ziebell. He has not appealing athletic traits. Slow, not agile, can’t jump and his yoyo ain’t great.

I’d find it really hard to get on board using pick 2 on a slow mid. I’d actually be ropable.
Slow? Gee we must be watching different players. I’ll wait for his testing before commenting on his athletic profile, however to my eye he moves well without being really quick.

Langford is a pretty complete footballer hence why he’s rated so highly. Some of the players he’s being compared to are viewed in very high regard. I can’t really fathom how you could resort to labelling him just a “slow mid”. Seems like you’re letting your bias get in the way.

Anyone decent playing for the Western Jets this year ?

Lucca Grego - 184cm midfielder/defender. Tough as nails real reliable type that can play multiple roles. Likely top 50ish.

Keighton Matofai-Forbes - 188cm dynamic general forward. Has a bag of tricks and is dangerous at both ground level and in the air. Most likely a rookie pick, but man, he has some upside.

Lucas Impey - 200cm. Basketball convert who is still developing his game. Ruckman who is not too dissimilar to Xerri. Tough, gritty type who follows up and loves to tackle.

Lucca Grego - 184cm midfielder/defender. Tough as nails real reliable type that can play multiple roles. Likely top 50ish.

Keighton Matofai-Forbes - 188cm dynamic general forward. Has a bag of tricks and is dangerous at both ground level and in the air. Most likely a rookie pick, but man, he has some upside.

Lucas Impey - 200cm. Basketball convert who is still developing his game. Ruckman who is not too dissimilar to Xerri. Tough, gritty type who follows up and loves to tackle.
Was looking very dangerous in the Metro v Country game before he got injured. Extremely powerful peg, if I remember correctly he had a shot from 50 odd off a couple of steps that went through post high. Like when an elite golfer hits a drive, you go like ‘that’s different’.

Slow? Gee we must be watching different players. I’ll wait for his testing before commenting on his athletic profile, however to my eye he moves well without being really quick.

Langford is a pretty complete footballer hence why he’s rated so highly. Some of the players he’s being compared to are viewed in very high regard. I can’t really fathom how you could resort to labelling him just a “slow mid”. Seems like you’re letting your bias get in the way.

Well his pre season testing data was pretty bad.

Vertical (2 feet): 61cm
Vertical R: 70cm
Vertical L: 72cm
5m: 1.210
10m: 1.949
20m: 3.213
Agility: 8.721
Yo-yo: 720

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 for 6&7 in that instance once the dust settles on the Punt Rd carnage.

Pick up Armstrong and one of Langford/Murphy/Berry/Trainor

Tiges still get the top 2 kids in the draft with two mid-first as cherries on top.

I dont think its impossible that Richmond do this, I was suggesting it on the Richmond board. Its more likely to be 7 and 8 though now with Melbourne's capitulation. Given we would also likely have 12 for Bolton and a later first for Baker as well, we may be in a position to give up 7 and 8.

Well his pre season testing data was pretty bad.

Vertical (2 feet): 61cm
Vertical R: 70cm
Vertical L: 72cm
5m: 1.210
10m: 1.949
20m: 3.213
Agility: 8.721
Yo-yo: 720
Watching him rate of improvement through the year, I’d be surprised if those numbers don’t improve as well.

I dont think its impossible that Richmond do this, I was suggesting it on the Richmond board. Its more likely to be 7 and 8 though now with Melbourne's capitulation. Given we would also likely have 12 for Bolton and a later first for Baker as well, we may be in a position to give up 7 and 8.
7 and 12 might be more likely. Don't think you'd give up two top 10 kids. That's basically what we gave to WCE for 2 in Wardlaw-JHF mega trade.

Worth trading our F1 to get? We'll likely get another good forward option with our second rounder. We could end up with FOS, Armstrong and Whitlock/Sims.
Well, I have a three things to say about that. First, a big yes, say we go Harry and then we could take either Joe Berry, Murphy Reid or Taj Hotton at our other pick for our small forward role and with our second rounder we could either pick a mid for our wing role or a key defender and then take River or rookie him, think about it, what a hell of a draft that would be!

Secondly, as I've said before if we go one final time to replace Tarryn with an A grade mid and then get our key forward in the second round, well yes there be a few choices left but why be greedy in our thinking, over the last four or five years when we've had the chance we've got the best talent available / best midfielder to now think oh well we can get a another gun mid and still get A KEY FORWARD, wouldn't it be more logical to keep going in our thinking and getting the best key forward in this draft and pick our mid who can play the wing role in the second round!

That's not even getting into the conversation about our small forward problems but I know we are looking at quite a few guys around the country so that might be another story. Thirdly, next year Archie Ludowyke is a key forward with a lot of potential, at this stage sitting somewhere in the top six players, do we wait another year? We've been waiting for quite a while it seems to pick our next key forward, remember the generational key forward WHO WE SHOULD HAVE TAKEN?

The choice by us was so correct at the time but now is not only the time but the right player has come along and unless Richmond take him over one of six very very good midfielders in this draft which I don't believe they will do, he's all ours , if we want him. This reminds me of an early Elvis Presley song called "I want you /I need you /I love you" because Trust me, "we want you, WE NEED YOU and within four years we'll love him"!

Unless they have leg speed or are 195cm plus they're going to be surplus to needs. That shit sandwich trade where we land two mid first round picks is going to be better than adding another mid if we can get Berry and Armstrong/Jhitlock. This could be a difference making draft if we're brave.
Oh tough break for Smillie and Trainor. At 194cm, they don't make the cut.

Well, I have a three things to say about that. First, a big yes, say we go Harry and then we could take either Joe Berry, Murphy Reid or Taj Hotton at our other pick for our small forward role and with our second rounder we could either pick a mid for our wing role or a key defender and then take River or rookie him, think about it, what a hell of a draft that would be!

Secondly, as I've said before if we go one final time to replace Tarryn with an A grade mid and then get our key forward in the second round, well yes there be a few choices left but why be greedy in our thinking, over the last four or five years when we've had the chance we've got the best talent available / best midfielder to now think oh well we can get a another gun mid and still get A KEY FORWARD, wouldn't it be more logical to keep going in our thinking and getting the best key forward in this draft and pick our mid who can play the wing role in the second round!

That's not even getting into the conversation about our small forward problems but I know we are looking at quite a few guys around the country so that might be another story. Thirdly, next year Archie Ludowyke is a key forward with a lot of potential, at this stage sitting somewhere in the top six players, do we wait another year? We've been waiting for quite a while it seems to pick our next key forward, remember the generational key forward WHO WE SHOULD HAVE TAKEN?

The choice by us was so correct at the time but now is not only the time but the right player has come along and unless Richmond take him over one of six very very good midfielders in this draft which I don't believe they will do, he's all ours , if we want him. This reminds me of an early Elvis Presley song called "I want you /I need you /I love you" because Trust me, "we want you, WE NEED YOU and within four years we'll love him"!
While we've spent draft capital on mids, theres probably 12 spots on lists for mid type players. The 4 flanks, 2 wings, 3 mids, 2-3 on the bench.

As we've seen from our i50 ratios and stoppage numbers we're still in need of pace/ spread and high quality ball users to put that ratio in our favor. So id still be getting the mid type that best suits what we have given im very much of the thought quality of i50 and transition wins most games.

IF we traded F1 for say 7 or 8 (unlikely clubs before that would, but who knows) Then we're still likely to get Armstrong, or at least Trainor. If the later, then Chom goes forward.

Im also of the mind the key players arent as pressing an issue as others make out, partly because of the above and partly because of what we have. Logue, Chom, Corr and 2 x Dawson will see us through for a while down back. We've got a slow cook ruck in Goad, we've got Larkey, 2nd ruck type options in Teakle and CCJ and spent significant draft capital on Duursma.

Do we need more, yes of course. But if we can get a ready made FA in the next 2-3 years we be well placed to have our mids reaching peak powers with mature key position players. And yeah agree, small speedster forward or two would handy.

We never really took great endurance runners. Leg speed is great but endurance is important as well.
Those are the players that grind the opposition into the ground like an Isaac Smith.
All the more important with every rule change, they're always trying to reduce congestion. Man on the mark just one of the later ones.

Watching him rate of improvement through the year, I’d be surprised if those numbers don’t improve as well.

They’d want to improve substantially for pick 2.

Looking at those numbers presented and the makeup up of our list it would be borderline negligent to draft a slow, unfit (by afl standards) mid with pick 2.

Especially considering g the gaping chasm in young bankable KPP talent. The complete non existent small goal sneak pressure forwards. And the more the merrier in terms of run all day, speed, ball carriers we need.

Granted he has had an exceptional year. But so have a heap of others, all over the ground. If we can’t find a suitable trade down, and don’t want FOS, we need to address one of the many needs elsewhere in the ground. We can also bid on Lombard, Ashcroft, he’ll even Kako for the lols. Then pick the most suited talented player and forget about “reaching” as it’s an even draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back