Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

If we take a midfielder you would think we take a bigger bodied one . As some have said similar to a Tom Green from GWS.

One of the biggest selling points with Langford is that he can play multiple roles. Inside mid, 2nd/3rd receiver, wing (academy game) or as a deep forward. His overhead marking is as good as any in this draft class.

I think his natural footballing ability will hold him in good stead at AFL level but will that be enough for him to cover some of his athletic deficiencies?

One of the biggest selling points with Langford is that he can play multiple roles. Inside mid, 2nd/3rd receiver, wing (academy game) or as a deep forward. His overhead marking is as good as any in this draft class.

I think his natural footballing ability will hold him in good stead at AFL level but will that be enough for him to cover some of his athletic deficiencies?
Will be interesting how he goes against senior footballers

Big fan of him. 190cm, tough as nails, big moments and metres gained player, tackling pressure and good mark overhead and has versatility. The athletic testing will be very interesting though.
Another concern is the kicking efficiency. Is it technical or more a decision making thing?
He's able to hit some real beauties with a good of penetration on the kick and then can shank a few, but Smillie does to.
I'd probably have FOS and Draper ahead of him but I wouldn't be mad if they think Langford is there guy.
Viney and Clarko would want competitive/driven players in whoever they draft, so he'd check that box.

Time to start accepting this. Unless Langford goes bezerk for Richmond VFL it’ll be…

Rich - Jagga
NM - Langford
WC - Finn

đź•şđź•şđź•ş
I'd have Finn and Sid ahead of Langford on class but wouldn't be upset if we called his name out.
He hasn't put a foot wrong really but the athletic testing will have an impact on where clubs think he ranks.

I hope we get creative with pick trades this draft, ideal situation would be maximizing our number of picks under 30.

Perfect scenario IMO:

Crows move up to get Draper
In: Pick 4 + Crows F1
Out: Pick 2 + North F2

GC move up to get Lombard
In: Pick 6 + Pick 20
Out: Pick 4

North jump back into the 1st round via GWS (will likely need 2025 points)
In: Pick 14 + Pick 34
Out: Crows F1

We end up with 6, 14, 20, 22, 34 and 40.

6 - The Slider (FOS, Smillie, Langford, Lalor, Trainor, Travaglia or Reid)
14 - Armstrong
20 - Berry
22 - Gerreyn
34 - Mraz
40 - Urquhart

Big fan of him. 190cm, tough as nails, big moments and metres gained player, tackling pressure and good mark overhead and has versatility. The athletic testing will be very interesting though.
Another concern is the kicking efficiency. Is it technical or more a decision making thing?
He's able to hit some real beauties with a good of penetration on the kick and then can shank a few, but Smillie does to.
I'd probably have FOS and Draper ahead of him but I wouldn't be mad if they think Langford is there guy.
Viney and Clarko would want competitive/driven players in whoever they draft, so he'd check that box.

I don’t know his kicking DE stats, but contested midfielders generally have lower DE. He is a meters gained pig though. He actually reminds me a little of Jack Ziebell in juniors, even his kicking action is similar. We all know Jack was a booming kick, but far too often just dumped it long rather than hitting targets. I think that can be the case with Langford too. However, when in space and kicking inside 50 he can mail some absolute beauties.

I know there has been some talk about his poor pre season testing, but to the eye he seems to cover the ground quite well getting from contest to contest and pushing hard defensively and offensively. I’ll be very surprised if he doesn’t significantly improve his testing numbers.

Clarko loves versatility too!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would you do?
North out 2 - in 7,12
Freo out 7, 12 - in Bolton
Rich in 2 - out Bolton
For all those desperate to get Doug Wade's grandson into the club, this would be the only sensible way to do it. Nobody is calling his name out before pick 7. And by all reports, there would be a very decent key forward available at 12.

Would Langford be a candidate to do the Sheezel transition through half back in his first year?
Yes - keep moving them through - Sheezel > McKercher > Langford.

Move Colby into the midfield or wing (get rid of Stephens) and Langford to the HBF - another great kick and give him kick out duties.

For all those desperate to get Doug Wade's grandson into the club, this would be the only sensible way to do it. Nobody is calling his name out before pick 7. And by all reports, there would be a very decent key forward available at 12.
Like to see Trainor picked, but going to be difficult to pass on Armstrong at 195cm and an engine that has him running all over the ground.

On pick trading, the depth of this draft and lack of clear top end talent means that it will not be easy trading down this year. Value will be lower than recent drafts.

Yes and no. It’s a lot easier to trade down than it is to trade up.

Only have to look back at last year. We tried desperately to move up but no one was willing to move down.

Clubs holding multiple picks will still try and move up to guarantee a player they rate higher than others. Especially considering Fremantle’s overall list is is quite good they’d want it prioritise quality over quantity.

Berry turned in an excellent performance to close out his Champs campaign. He roamed up the ground and had a couple of rotations on ball getting himself involved in attacking ball movement, but the main thing that stood out was his elite pressure inside 50, with all five of his tackles coming in that area, two of them directly leading to shots on goal.

What are people’s thoughts on Jesse Dattoli?

May fall in between our 2nd & 3rd round pick but I think he’s the 3rd best small forward in it. Good user and runner, decent around goals, decent overhead, unsure what his testing is like but doesn’t seem slow off the eye test.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back