Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Souup Sphynx

Any players you really like with picks beyond say 30-40? I'm a big fan of Lachie Jacques and Luca Greggo, but also think Jack Ough has a huge amount of upside.

Think we'd pull one off there if we went early? Lots will be coming for him.

Jagga might just have silenced those suggesting his game doesn't have enough hurt factor. The possession count might have been a bit lower this week (only 33!) but this was one of the most damaging performances Jagga has produced this season. Rather than taking the first release option at stoppage he looked to turn the corner and use his pace to exit the front, to spot up a kick to a forward or release a teammate with hands to run into the forward 50. He kicked two goals of his own, and directly assisted three more.

Souup Sphynx

Any players you really like with picks beyond say 30-40? I'm a big fan of Lachie Jacques and Luca Greggo, but also think Jack Ough has a huge amount of upside.

Alix Tauru, Harry Charleson, Oliver Hannaford (probably flavour of the month after his last game) and Jonty Faull (I think he'll go later than most think) are my favourites. The other I like is Lucca Grego who you've already mentioned.

Alix Tauru, Harry Charleson, Oliver Hannaford (probably flavour of the month after his last game) and Jonty Faull (I think he'll go later than most think) are my favourites. The other I like is Lucca Grego who you've already mentioned.

:musicnotes: His name is Lucca, he'll go in the second round :musicnotes:

Who has the cleanest hands among the higher rated players?
After watching Freo versus Port last night this is a very pertinent question RHLK the fumbling by Freo players was out of control they literally fumbled their chance to play finals.

Perhaps roos_fanatic08, Sphynx or The Talent Scout could answer; who has the cleanest hands among the higher rated players?

Fair enough. I just think with pick 1 more then any you want to hit. Smith has put together the best year out of available talent and Ashcroft bid unlikely for Tigers who would want to have a shiny new first pick (something that has alluded us).
I think Smillie and FOS have higher ceilings then Smith but my feel is Tigers will play it safe at pick 1. Will find out in a few months either way.
I think you're right Ura, the talent exodus at the Tigers combined with the evenness of this draft I suspect they'll take the safest bet with pick 1 and at this stage that points towards Jagga Smith.

Last edited:
After watching Freo versus Port last night this is a very pertinent question RHLK the fumbling by Freo players was out of control they literally fumbled their chance to play finals.

Perhaps roos_fanatic08, Sphynx or The Talent Scout could answer; who has the cleanest hands among the higher rated players?

Jagga Smith is the cleanest player in this draft absolutely no doubt in my mind. Murphy Reid, Joe Berry and Kako would be next in line while FOS, Langford, Hotton and Xavier Lindsay would be the next tier.

Down the draft order a bit Jesse Dattoli, Luca Greggo and Pat Retshcko would be others that I'd say are one touch.

Ashcroft and Smillie can be prone to double handling the footy, so can Tobie Travaglia at times.

Jagga might just have silenced those suggesting his game doesn't have enough hurt factor. The possession count might have been a bit lower this week (only 33!) but this was one of the most damaging performances Jagga has produced this season. Rather than taking the first release option at stoppage he looked to turn the corner and use his pace to exit the front, to spot up a kick to a forward or release a teammate with hands to run into the forward 50. He kicked two goals of his own, and directly assisted three more.

Alway appreciate your work, but with this boy, it's not what he does with the ball that concerns me, but his physique.

He's a stripling, and putting on some bulk might be the challenge

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would love O’Sullivan with our pick 2 and I hope like hell that he’s still on the board but playing devils advocate and say he’s not , this might be unpopular opinion here but the more I watch Jagga Smith the more I think Nick Daicos .

The way he runs hard to receive , his ability to arch his back to escape tackles , seems very clean and rarely fumbles , the ways he wins clearance & exits forward of stoppage , holds onto the ball to find the right option & doesn’t panic and hack kick the ball forward and his consistency of performance is all high quality .

His deficiencies that people have spoken about in regards to his hurt factor with ball in hand … from what I’ve seen he may not hit a 50m bullet to a team mates chest but
he doesn’t chop the ball up either and they way we turn it over going forward I would’ve though ball retention is a must .

He may not have the best defensive game but that can be improved at AFL level with the right mindset & when you are getting it 35 times every week and dominating im sure it doesn’t occur to you too often to work as hard defensively as others , especially as a 17/18 year old .

Some of the more avid watchers of U/18s footy might disagree and give a heap of reasons why I’m wrong , just puting in my 2 cents worth .

Would picks 9 and 10 be enough for our pick 2? If we can work a trade with Freo and Richmond with Freo getting Bolton, Richmond getting pick 2 and us getting picks 9 and 10, we could potentially take Trainor and Shanaghan.

I think you're right Ura, the talent exodus at the Tigers combined with the evenness of this draft I suspect they'll take the safest bet with pick 1 and at this satge that points towards Jagga Smith.
I think they will take FOS.

Would love O’Sullivan with our pick 2 and I hope like hell that he’s still on the board but playing devils advocate and say he’s not , this might be unpopular opinion here but the more I watch Jagga Smith the more I think Nick Daicos .

The way he runs hard to receive , his ability to arch his back to escape tackles , seems very clean and rarely fumbles , the ways he wins clearance & exits forward of stoppage , holds onto the ball to find the right option & doesn’t panic and hack kick the ball forward and his consistency of performance is all high quality .

His deficiencies that people have spoken about in regards to his hurt factor with ball in hand … from what I’ve seen he may not hit a 50m bullet to a team mates chest but
he doesn’t chop the ball up either and they way we turn it over going forward I would’ve though ball retention is a must .

He may not have the best defensive game but that can be improved at AFL level with the right mindset & when you are getting it 35 times every week and dominating im sure it doesn’t occur to you too often to work as hard defensively as others , especially as a 17/18 year old .

Some of the more avid watchers of U/18s footy might disagree and give a heap of reasons why I’m wrong , just puting in my 2 cents worth .
I think the majority of us rate him very highly, but he seems more a straight out mid. Given what we have i think many of us are of the thought someone that can play multiple roles may suit us better. Such as FOS off a wing or flank or Draper mid/fwd/speed. Then if we go a straight out mid then perhaps a bigger body types might help stop us being pushed off the ball with Langford, Smillie types. Or a more hybrid type like Lalor, strength, burst and strong over head.

And yeah i know Smillie isnt that type of player yet, neither was Bont who recruiters earmarked as more the first receiver type.

Btw im for getting FOS, but if he goes 1 then Draper. But im the first to admit ive not watched enough jnr footy over the years to make trusted calls on what a player might grow into. Wont stop me giving my opinion but at the end of the day ill back whoever we take knowing people with far more knowledge and data than i have made the call.

One thing we do need is mids that can get there hands on the ball, Smith brings that. I know people disagree with me, but Jagga Smith i see more like Zac Butters.

Last edited:
What's the bet..........

PIck 19 Sydney ( tied to Nth. Melb )
. Wayne Carey clone

Pick 20 Gold Coast ( tied to Nth. Melb )
. Marcus Bontempelli clone

Daicos isn't the comparison I'd go with, I see more Lachie Neale, but I totally agree with you overall.

It sounds stupid to say but he actually might be the most underrated player in the draft. The fact he's being dismissed so readily as a damage-free accumulator is crazy. He constantly makes the best decisions, is really composed with ball in hand and covers the ground well.

As I said earlier, I think taking anyone but FO'S or Draper over him doesn't make sense. He'd very much be a worthy #1 selection and I would be thrilled with him in blue and white.

Can we trade back what we got to have those picks back? :rolleyes:

Don't beat those trades up, they contributed Stephens and Fisher but they also got us Hardeman and Will Dawson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back