List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

PlayerOriginal ClubTrade/FANew ClubResult
Daniel RioliRichmondTradeGold CoastGold Coast receive Richmond's Daniel Rioli, R4 (51,61,70,76) Picks
Richmond receive GC's R1(6), R2(23) Picks
Shai BoltonRichmondTradeFremantleFremantle receive Richmond's Shai Bolton, R1(14), 2025 R3 Pick.
Richmond receive Fremantle's R1(10,11,18) Picks
Harry SharpBrisbane & MelbourneTradeMelbourneMelbourne receives Brisbane's Harry Sharp, 2025 R3 pick (tied to Brisbane)
Brisbane receives Melbourne's 2024 R3(49), 2025 R3 pick (tied to Essendon).
Dan Houston
Jack Lukosius
Joe Richards
Rory Atkins
John Noble
Port Adelaide
Gold Coast
Collingwood
Gold Coast
Collingwood
TradeCollingwood
Port Adelaide
Port Adelaide
Port Adelaide
Gold Coast
Port Adelaide receives GC's R1(13),GC R2(29,36), GC R3(50) Picks, Jack Lukosius, Joe Richards, Rory Atkins
Gold Coast receives Collingwood's 2025 F1, PA's 2025 F1, PA R2(39)
Collingwood receive Dan Houston, PA R4(58)
Matt Owies
Liam Baker
Carlton & RichmondTradeWest CoastRound 1 pick (3), Round 4 (63,68) to Carlton
Round 1 Pick (14) to Richmond
Round 1 Pick(12), R4 (73) to WCE
Liam Baker to WCE
Matt Owies to WCE
Isaac CummingGWSUFAAdelaideEnd of Round 1 Compo (pick 21) to GWS
Josh BattleSt KildaUFAHawthornRound 1 Compo (Pick 8) to St.Kilda
Tom CampbellSt KildaDFAMelbourneNo Compensation
Harry PerrymanGWSUFACollingwoodRound 1 Compo (Pick 16) to GWS
Elliott HimmelbergAdelaideUFAGold CoastNo Compensation
Nick HaynesGWSUFACarltonNo Compensation
Alex Neal-BullenMelbourneTradeAdelaideRound 2 Pick (28) to Melbourne
Jack DarlingWest CoastTradeNorth MelbourneRound 4 pick (68) to WCE
Jack GrahamRichmondUFAWest CoastEnd of Round 2 Compo (Pick 42) to Richmond

Brisbane Lions trade Harry Sharp and its 2025 Round 3 pick (tied to Brisbane) to Melbourne for its 2024 Round 3 pick (currently 49) and its 2025 Round 3 pick (tied to Essendon).
-----------------
Collingwood get Houston and Pick 58 and give up: a future first round pick, Joe Richards to Port and John Noble to Gold Coast

Port get Jack Lukosius, Richards, Rory Atkins, picks 13, 29, 36 and 50 in this year’s draft while letting Houston go to Collingwood, their future first round pick, pick 39 in this year’s goes to Gold Coast and pick 58 goes to Collingwood.

Gold Coast get Noble, a future first round pick from each of Collingwood and Port Adelaide, and pick 39 (received from Port), while the Suns send Lukosius and Atkins, picks 13, 29 and 50 to Port Adelaide.
-------------
St Kilda trade its Round Two selection (currently 27) to the Brisbane Lions for its Round Two selection (currently 32) and its Round Three selection (currently 45) in the 2024 Telstra AFL Draft.
----------
Three club trade approved.Richmond trade Liam Baker to the West Coast Eagles.West Coast Eagles trade its Round One selection (currently 3) and both its Round Four selections (currently 63 and 68) in the 2024 Telstra AFL Draft to Carlton.
Carlton trade Matthew Owies, its Round One selection (currently 12) and its Round Four selection (currently 73) to West Coast Eagles. Carlton trade its Round One selection (currently 14 ) to Richmond.
----------
Melbourne trade its two 2024 Round 2 selections (currently 28 and 40), two 2024 Round 3 selections (currently 46 and 54), its 2024 Round 4 selection (currently 65) and its 2025 Round 1 selection to Essendon.
Essendon trade its 2024 Round 1 selection (currently 9) and its 2025 Round 3 selection in the 2024 and 2025 Telstra AFL Drafts respectively to Melbourne.
---------
Melbourne trade its 2025 Round 3 selection to the Adelaide Crows for its 2024 Round 3 selection (currently 46) in the 2024 and 2025 Telstra AFL Drafts respectively.
---------
Brisbane trade its 2024 Round 1 selection (currently 20) to Richmond for two 2024 Round 2 selections (currently 32 and 42) and two 2024 Round 3 selections (currently 43 and 45) in the 2024 Telstra AFL Draft.
---------
Carlton trade its 2024 Round 2 selection (currently 34) and 2024 Round 4 selection (currently 66) to Brisbane for its 2024 Round 4 selection (currently 73) and 2025 Round 2 selection in the 2024 and 2025 Telstra AFL Drafts respectively.
---------
Carlton trade its 2025 Round 1 selection and 2025 Round 2 selection (tied to Carlton) to Hawthorn for its 2024 Round 1 selection (currently 14) in the 2024 and 2025 Telstra AFL Drafts respectively.

Last edited:

Personally I think Lalor is the best in it talent wise. Has scope to be a top 5/10 game breaking type midfielder. Worry about his body and also fit in the team as a forward early on - would be a pick for the future for sure, but seems destined to pull on the black and gold with pick 1.

Draper I think is the safest bet, speed and agility, burst from stoppage, repeat efforts. Wish there was scope for him to have played in other positions. Jagga as well, elite clearance player, like elite, smart running patterns.

Lowered my position on FOS, he can roam around looking like absolute silk but his consistency worries me. That being said top 5 without a doubt on talent, just a different mover.

Don’t see the appeal of Langford in the top 5. He’s a nice player but none of his traits scream ‘star’ to me. Can play footy, but he’s more Blake Acres than Marcus Bontempelli in my eyes.

Talls I’d throw a blanket over Shanahan / Armstrong & the Whitlocks. Unsure any will be the elite alpha type key forward, but nice key forwards to have - an upgrade on our developing stocks if we can get them with anywhere from 15-25. Think they will develop into the wrungs of Hipwood / Marshall / Georgiades / Van Rooyen / L McDonald, at that level where they can contribute to 40 goals in a good side but not be a game changer.

Tauru I think has the traits to be a game changer up forward (more in the mould of a Riewoldt / Brown / Naughton / Curnow), but is raw and under exposed as a forward. He’s definitely grown on me as I watch more of him.

Hotton is the dark horse I’d take if we were able to get multiple 1sts. I have a hunch he would’ve been my no 1 if he played the full year. I think he’s tracking to return to play early next year, so not necessarily a write-off.
100% agree with all of this.

We’ll take Lalor then, out of sheer spite!
Season 11 Hbo GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

I think there is a good chance that Richmond will be keen to hold 6. They are at the start of a rebuild, and they should be looking to prioritise talls. 6 should get them their favourite. In their position, I think that would be more important than getting their second favourite mid. I'm not fussed if we drop back further, as long as we take a key forward and a small forward.
I agree with your thoughts on Richmond. They’re perfectly placed to get their favourite mid and their favourite tall. It’ll be their later firsts that might be gettable with future picks eg. 10+18 for a F1. Whether that’s something we want to do might depend on who’s left on the board at 11 etc.

Personally I think Lalor is the best in it talent wise. Has scope to be a top 5/10 game breaking type midfielder. Worry about his body and also fit in the team as a forward early on - would be a pick for the future for sure, but seems destined to pull on the black and gold with pick 1.

Draper I think is the safest bet, speed and agility, burst from stoppage, repeat efforts. Wish there was scope for him to have played in other positions. Jagga as well, elite clearance player, like elite, smart running patterns.

Lowered my position on FOS, he can roam around looking like absolute silk but his consistency worries me. That being said top 5 without a doubt on talent, just a different mover.

Don’t see the appeal of Langford in the top 5. He’s a nice player but none of his traits scream ‘star’ to me. Can play footy, but he’s more Blake Acres than Marcus Bontempelli in my eyes.

Talls I’d throw a blanket over Shanahan / Armstrong & the Whitlocks. Unsure any will be the elite alpha type key forward, but nice key forwards to have - an upgrade on our developing stocks if we can get them with anywhere from 15-25. Think they will develop into the wrungs of Hipwood / Marshall / Georgiades / Van Rooyen / L McDonald, at that level where they can contribute to 40 goals in a good side but not be a game changer.

Tauru I think has the traits to be a game changer up forward (more in the mould of a Riewoldt / Brown / Naughton / Curnow), but is raw and under exposed as a forward. He’s definitely grown on me as I watch more of him.

Hotton is the dark horse I’d take if we were able to get multiple 1sts. I have a hunch he would’ve been my no 1 if he played the full year. I think he’s tracking to return to play early next year, so not necessarily a write-off.
Tigers will select Smith at pick #1 and if we still have Pick #2 hope we dont pick Lalor and visca-versa
Carlton will select FOS at pick#3
Adelaide will take Draper at #4
Leaving the Dees open for Lalor at Pick #5
If he gets past the Dees then the Tigers will pick him up at pick#6.

If the Tigers want Lalor they would be best to deal with us for pick #2 as there seems to be to much to chance keeping pick #6 with either us or the Dees not taking Lalor or Smith..
If Brady plays this right we could end up with #6, #11 and #20 for our pick#2 and a F3rd

Why isn't Smith a lock for Pick 1? Has all the skills and spent half the year with Richmond's VFL team. I thought it was a monty that they'd take him.
I think it’s just size. As I posted on here 6 months ago, if he had any sort of rig he’d be an absolute lock for pick 1.

As I posted yesterday, my preference is to hold pick 2 until draft night and if he’s still there, take him. Has best player in the AFL level talent imo.

I would have thought that having Pick 2 gives us a fair degree of leverage. I wouldn’t cry too much if we ended up with only Pick 2 and Pick 62 this year. We’ve already drafted in a swag of young talent. Pick 2 gives us a real shot at bringing in another bonafide gun. Both Larkey and Zurhaar came from the very dregs of the draft.
We could always move our F2 before draft night for Bombres 28 or 31, they'll trade out one or both with Kako bid.
They hold onto their picks beyond 40 and they have enough to match the 1503 points after 20% discount at pick 5.
Might only get us someone like Sims, Nichols or Stumpf as a forward.

I think it’s just size. As I posted on here 6 months ago, if he had any sort of rig he’d be an absolute lock for pick 1.

As I posted yesterday, my preference is to hold pick 2 until draft night and if he’s still there, take him. Has best player in the AFL level talent imo.
Although I personally am averse to 180cm players, my son played basketball against Jagger, and his size is completely irrelevant.
Kid will be a star.

Pick 2 would have leverage if we were gunning for one of the top mids.
we've announced to the world we ain't after mids, so teams know we want to trade it out.
we are our own worst enemy
No we didn't do that. Brady said directly to Twomey in interviews at the draft that we're open to splitting 2 down 3-4 spots and if we do that, then we can afford to be more "diverse with the picks" in terms of types we take.
Otherwise, we would be happy to sit and pick 2 and take the best talent.

No we didn't do that. Brady said directly to Twomey in interviews at the draft that we're open to splitting 2 down 3-4 spots and if we do that, then we can afford to be more "diverse with the picks" in terms of types we take.
Otherwise, we would be happy to sit and pick 2 and take the best talent.
Tbf, he also said we wouldn't be willing to jeopardize our draft hand to bring in the senior players, which we ended up doing (bar pick 2). I wouldn't be holding my breath on what Brady said...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Late thoughts on trade period.

Not my concept but - it's very unlikely Brady is operating in a vacuum. He's probably coordinating the feeler contacts with agents but would bet he's largely being dictated requirements by Clarkson then tasked with making them happen.

I doubt Thursfield was thrilled to lose #25 and it was an overpay. But I'm inclined to clear Brady on this one. It smacks of a captain's call, the whole "Daniel wants to play for Alastair Clarkson". I suspect Brady was given the names Parker and Daniel and asked to secure them, with no option of retreat.

Overall, this trade period was the strongest indicator that they've now looked at everyone 27+ on the list, grabbed the bucket, then moved swiftly to rebalance that lack of senior poise and presence.

So mission accomplished in terms of slightly fixing list structure.

History says keep 2 so thats what I hope we do unless the offer is silly which doesn't seem likely at this stage. FOS. A wing pairing of McKercher and FOS in a couple of years time is an awesome thought. Try and get back into the draft in the 30's or so with a F2 I guess.

There is no way the Tigers would want to take 8 draft picks in the one year though. All out of contract at the same time. All FA's at the same time. A list managers nightmare. They should try and ream us for pick 2 and if we don't bite offer something worthwhile. The good thing for them is they'll be offered F1's from the Bombers and maybe the Suns for picks in the 20's to give them two years of great picks. They're in a nice spot to rebuild even if it means they'll struggle to win a game for a couple of years. As we all know it's not easy getting smashed every week. They have the recent success though so maybe it won't hurt quite as badly.

Tbf, he also said we wouldn't be willing to jeopardize our draft hand to bring in the senior players, which we ended up doing (bar pick 2). I wouldn't be holding my breath on what Brady said...
Trading out P25 (which could push into the 30s), 44 and 67 isn't really jeopardising our hand when we get much needed experience/leadership, and will likely have two top 11 picks in this years draft. That's before we even touch next years picks.

Late thoughts on trade period.

Not my concept but - it's very unlikely Brady is operating in a vacuum. He's probably coordinating the feeler contacts with agents but would bet he's largely being dictated requirements by Clarkson then tasked with making them happen.

I doubt Thursfield was thrilled to lose #25 and it was an overpay. But I'm inclined to clear Brady on this one. It smacks of a captain's call, the whole "Daniel wants to play for Alastair Clarkson". I suspect Brady was given the names Parker and Daniel and asked to secure them, with no option of retreat.

Overall, this trade period was the strongest indicator that they've now looked at everyone 27+ on the list, grabbed the bucket, then moved swiftly to rebalance that lack of senior poise and presence.

So mission accomplished in terms of slightly fixing list structure.
Exactly right: the evidence for which is literally on the screen, with Todd Viney sitting in the room supervising the operation of the list team.

The only other observation I would make is that when you reach out to contracted players, and they agree to come, then you're really stuck with whatever it costs to honour the approach. The balance of negotiating power in that situation is completely different (ie much weaker) than an OOC player saying I want to be traded to club "x"

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back