Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

6/11

Or

Game Show Play GIF by Deal Or No Deal
What does 19 have to do with it?

LOL. You couldnt get 13 for a F1... but yet you're hoping to get 10 & 11 for it? Funny.

We are not doing shit. We are deranged lunatics and nuffies who post like we have anything to do with what the clubs employees will do or are preparing to do. We operate under the illusion that our opinions are in any way based in reality. We are horrendously biased towards our clubs and realistically, don't have a clue about what picks are worth or what internal modelling suggests or what value is placed on what assets.

LOL. You couldnt get 13 for a F1... but yet you're hoping to get 10 & 11 for it? Funny.

Read the first 3 words ****wit.

'In the event'....where did I say it that it was realistic or a sure thing.

It was purely a discussion off the back of another post.

Now **** off back to your own board.

I've seen enough. Even if no other club trades for pick 2, I'd use it on Tauru. Plug and play kind of player. May sound silly given the one-eyed supporter in me, but reminds me of Jarrad Waite. The way he takes off and floats through the air, not necessarily the highest leaper, but could mess with defenders by staying up.

I've seen enough. Even if no other club trades for pick 2, I'd use it on Tauru. Plug and play kind of player. May sound silly given the one-eyed supporter in me, but reminds me of Jarrad Waite. The way he takes off and floats through the air, not necessarily the highest leaper, but could mess with defenders by staying up.
Psst. Except he was the highest leaper at the national combine.

We are not doing shit. We are deranged lunatics and nuffies who post like we have anything to do with what the clubs employees will do or are preparing to do. We operate under the illusion that our opinions are in any way based in reality. We are horrendously biased towards our clubs and realistically, don't have a clue about what picks are worth or what internal modelling suggests or what value is placed on what assets.
1729726040805.gif

BTW Mofra posted Hannaford's Vic combine results in the draft forum.

Interesting mixed bag.

Height 180.1
Vertical jump 66
VJ Right 86
VJ Left 69
5mtr 1.077
10mtr 1.775
20mtr 2.954
Agility 7.922
2KM 7.26

I'm no expert, so feel free to correct me, but that looks like elite agility and burst speed, so-so vert, and shithouse endurance.

Fair, our board is full of biased crap as well. I've liked some of the objectivity that one or two of your posters have commented to ensure there is some level of balance to what's likely in making a decision around pick 2.

If you would like my honest view is that both Rawlings and Hartley have both been on record as saying (1) we'd like to split pick 2 / or get another pick in the 1st round and (2) its unlikely we will try to trade up from pick 6 - respectively.

I dont really see any way either club is going to be satisfied in doing a deal. From my (understandably biased) perspective, l would be comfortable with these two scenarios:

1) Richmond trade 11 & 20 to GWS for 15 & 16. We then trade 10 & 15 to you. Which l suspect none of you would be happy about.
2) Richmond offer pick 6 & 23 for pick 2. Which l suspect none of you would be happy about.

I know you're answer to this, but if you could stomach one of these outcomes, which would you prefer?

Re: using your F1. I think one of your very astute posters outlined that anyone willing to take futures, you bare all the risk (unless you're a club looking to buy points for academy/FS selections. Outside of that, l think you'd be lucky to get any club before our pick 18 who would be willing to buy that F1. No club is going to relent on their position this year - even Richmond, who unfortunately hold a lot of the cards to continue to get 'overs' for teams desperate to be part of the pointy end of this years draft.

I'm not a poster who wants any other clubs supporters to try and suck an egg, because ultimately l think this year will become way too hard for any club to be satisfied in relenting their position in the 1st round. Whilst we look sexy right now given all the discussion has moved to the draft, reality is were going to be god f'ing awful for a few years and thats going to suck even if we can be chipper about watching some kids grow.

Happy for you to delete or berate me, just trying to read the play, knowing we both are unlikely to find a place where we both feel like winners in doing a deal.

Cal Twomey's Phantom Form Guide October extra: The 10 next best​

Thomas Sims​

Tall forward
Northern Knights/Vic Metro
199cm
12/5/06

Sims was a consistent goalkicker this season with the Northern Knights, booting 23 majors from 15 games. He started his campaign with a five-goal haul against Western Jets and booted 7.4 a few weeks later against Oakleigh in a day out. When he uses his height, he is hard to stop in the air as a marking option with his outstretched reach giving him an advantage. He kicked three goals for Vic Metro in the mid-year clash with Western Australia and showed his athletic traits at the Draft Combine, finishing in the top-10 for agility and running vertical jump.

Kayle Gerreyn​

Key forward/ruck
West Perth/Western Australia
199cm
10/5/06

Gerreyn plays with presence as a tall forward who can also make an impact in the ruck. He kicked five goals from four games during Western Australia's under-18 carnival run, before kicking 15 goals from his final eight games with West Perth this season. Through that period he also tallied up some dominant games in the ruck and around the ground, including a 23-disposal effort in the first final at colts level plus two appearances in the League side. Finished sixth in the agility test at the Combine (8.082 seconds) in an impressive effort.

Jasper Alger​

Forward
Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Country
183cm
17/12/06

There have been plenty of times this year when Alger has kicked a goal from nothing, producing a moment inside-50 with a flash of brilliance. The half-forward does his best work inside-50, where he is quick on the lead and sharp with his goalkicking. He kicked four goals in his last game of the season against Calder in wildcard round before a finger injury ruled him out of the rest of Oakleigh's campaign. He's dangerous in the air and plays above his height.

Hamish Davis​

Midfielder
Claremont/Western Australia
190cm
2/5/06

There's a lot to like in Davis' profile, with the Claremont product reminding recruiters of a Will Hayward type of forward. The 190cm prospect kicked four goals from 21 disposals in a League final for Claremont late in the season, when he was best on ground. Davis proved his running capacity at the Draft Combine by finishing fifth in the 2km time trial (6:18 minutes) and he was a consistent player for Western Australia at the championships.

Jack Ough​

Midfielder
Greater Western Victoria Rebels/Vic Country
194cm
15/12/06

As the year grew longer, Ough's performances grew stronger. His second half of the season in particular was outstanding, with the tall midfield option having some standout games, including 33 disposals against Geelong in the qualifying final, 32 against Calder in round 16 and 29 against the Chargers in round 18. His confidence stemmed from an impressive carnival with Vic Country and his expertise in getting the ball out of contests and finding a teammate puts him in the mind of some clubs as a top-30 pick.

Noah Mraz​

Tall defender
Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Country
198cm
20/2/06

A navicular foot injury earlier this season meant Mraz has barely been sighted this year. If he had have put together a full campaign, there is every chance he would be a lock inside the top-30 given his attributes. The key defender matches up on the opposition's best forwards and can intercept mark as well as go with them on searching runs – he returned to test at the Combine and completed the 2km time trial in 6:32 minutes and was in the top-10 for agility.

James Barrat​

Tall defender
Bendigo Pioneers/Vic Country
194cm
23/11/06

Barrat did a bit of everything this season. He kicked 22.21 for the Pioneers – including 19 goals in his first six games of the season – but finished his draft year as a defender. Barrat showed in the second half of the Bendigo's campaign as a third tall back, where he highlighted his intercept marking game and took control in the air, averaging nine marks in his final seven games at Coates Talent League level. He also got experience in Essendon's VFL side.

Josh Dolan​

Small forward
Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro
177cm
11/11/06

A knee injury in the second half of Dolan's year meant he missed out on Sandringham's premiership win as well as testing at the Draft Combine. Dolan is a hard-working prospect who can get up and down the ground and who used his kicking skills to hit targets. He kicked eight goals from five games in the Dragons' season, including a three-goal effort to kickstart his season in round one against Calder.

Angus Clarke​

Defender
Glenelg/South Australia
188cm
8/5/06

Clarke put in a couple of eye-catching performances for South Australia at the under-18 national championships, particularly against Vic Metro and Vic Country as a powerful half-back with an attacking sense. He spent some time forward late in Glenelg's under-18 season and has some natural footy instincts in his game. He backed up his competitive on-field approach with a strong run in the Combine's 2km time trial with a 6:16 minute time.

Adrian Cole​

Tall defender
194cm
5/1/06

A lockdown defender who thrives on shutting down the best key forwards, Cole developed his game as the season went on. As a backman, Cole gets in the way – he finds a way into marking contests to make spoils, he can close down space and be annoying for opposing forwards. Cole is tied to St Kilda as a Next Generation Academy prospect.

And here's one to keep an eye on as well ... West Australian prospect Hugh Boxshall is very close to being in this group and demonstrates the depth in the pool. As a contested midfielder who is 188cm and an excellent endurance athlete, Boxshall is pushing into considerations in this bracket. He averaged 25 disposals for Claremont's colts side this season and is a watch.

Fair, our board is full of biased crap as well. I've liked some of the objectivity that one or two of your posters have commented to ensure there is some level of balance to what's likely in making a decision around pick 2.

If you would like my honest view is that both Rawlings and Hartley have both been on record as saying (1) we'd like to split pick 2 / or get another pick in the 1st round and (2) its unlikely we will try to trade up from pick 6 - respectively.

I dont really see any way either club is going to be satisfied in doing a deal. From my (understandably biased) perspective, l would be comfortable with these two scenarios:

1) Richmond trade 11 & 20 to GWS for 15 & 16. We then trade 10 & 15 to you. Which l suspect none of you would be happy about.
2) Richmond offer pick 6 & 23 for pick 2. Which l suspect none of you would be happy about.

I know you're answer to this, but if you could stomach one of these outcomes, which would you prefer?

Re: using your F1. I think one of your very astute posters outlined that anyone willing to take futures, you bare all the risk (unless you're a club looking to buy points for academy/FS selections. Outside of that, l think you'd be lucky to get any club before our pick 18 who would be willing to buy that F1. No club is going to relent on their position this year - even Richmond, who unfortunately hold a lot of the cards to continue to get 'overs' for teams desperate to be part of the pointy end of this years draft.

I'm not a poster who wants any other clubs supporters to try and suck an egg, because ultimately l think this year will become way too hard for any club to be satisfied in relenting their position in the 1st round. Whilst we look sexy right now given all the discussion has moved to the draft, reality is were going to be god f'ing awful for a few years and thats going to suck even if we can be chipper about watching some kids grow.

Happy for you to delete or berate me, just trying to read the play, knowing we both are unlikely to find a place where we both feel like winners in doing a deal.
Not really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cal Twomey's Phantom Form Guide October extra: The 10 next best​

Thomas Sims​

Tall forward
Northern Knights/Vic Metro
199cm
12/5/06

Sims was a consistent goalkicker this season with the Northern Knights, booting 23 majors from 15 games. He started his campaign with a five-goal haul against Western Jets and booted 7.4 a few weeks later against Oakleigh in a day out. When he uses his height, he is hard to stop in the air as a marking option with his outstretched reach giving him an advantage. He kicked three goals for Vic Metro in the mid-year clash with Western Australia and showed his athletic traits at the Draft Combine, finishing in the top-10 for agility and running vertical jump.

Kayle Gerreyn​

Key forward/ruck
West Perth/Western Australia
199cm
10/5/06

Gerreyn plays with presence as a tall forward who can also make an impact in the ruck. He kicked five goals from four games during Western Australia's under-18 carnival run, before kicking 15 goals from his final eight games with West Perth this season. Through that period he also tallied up some dominant games in the ruck and around the ground, including a 23-disposal effort in the first final at colts level plus two appearances in the League side. Finished sixth in the agility test at the Combine (8.082 seconds) in an impressive effort.

Jasper Alger​

Forward
Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Country
183cm
17/12/06

There have been plenty of times this year when Alger has kicked a goal from nothing, producing a moment inside-50 with a flash of brilliance. The half-forward does his best work inside-50, where he is quick on the lead and sharp with his goalkicking. He kicked four goals in his last game of the season against Calder in wildcard round before a finger injury ruled him out of the rest of Oakleigh's campaign. He's dangerous in the air and plays above his height.

Hamish Davis​

Midfielder
Claremont/Western Australia
190cm
2/5/06

There's a lot to like in Davis' profile, with the Claremont product reminding recruiters of a Will Hayward type of forward. The 190cm prospect kicked four goals from 21 disposals in a League final for Claremont late in the season, when he was best on ground. Davis proved his running capacity at the Draft Combine by finishing fifth in the 2km time trial (6:18 minutes) and he was a consistent player for Western Australia at the championships.

Jack Ough​

Midfielder
Greater Western Victoria Rebels/Vic Country
194cm
15/12/06

As the year grew longer, Ough's performances grew stronger. His second half of the season in particular was outstanding, with the tall midfield option having some standout games, including 33 disposals against Geelong in the qualifying final, 32 against Calder in round 16 and 29 against the Chargers in round 18. His confidence stemmed from an impressive carnival with Vic Country and his expertise in getting the ball out of contests and finding a teammate puts him in the mind of some clubs as a top-30 pick.

Noah Mraz​

Tall defender
Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Country
198cm
20/2/06

A navicular foot injury earlier this season meant Mraz has barely been sighted this year. If he had have put together a full campaign, there is every chance he would be a lock inside the top-30 given his attributes. The key defender matches up on the opposition's best forwards and can intercept mark as well as go with them on searching runs – he returned to test at the Combine and completed the 2km time trial in 6:32 minutes and was in the top-10 for agility.

James Barrat​

Tall defender
Bendigo Pioneers/Vic Country
194cm
23/11/06

Barrat did a bit of everything this season. He kicked 22.21 for the Pioneers – including 19 goals in his first six games of the season – but finished his draft year as a defender. Barrat showed in the second half of the Bendigo's campaign as a third tall back, where he highlighted his intercept marking game and took control in the air, averaging nine marks in his final seven games at Coates Talent League level. He also got experience in Essendon's VFL side.

Josh Dolan​

Small forward
177cm
11/11/06

A knee injury in the second half of Dolan's year meant he missed out on Sandringham's premiership win as well as testing at the Draft Combine. Dolan is a hard-working prospect who can get up and down the ground and who used his kicking skills to hit targets. He kicked eight goals from five games in the Dragons' season, including a three-goal effort to kickstart his season in round one against Calder.

Angus Clarke​

Defender
Glenelg/South Australia
188cm
8/5/06

Clarke put in a couple of eye-catching performances for South Australia at the under-18 national championships, particularly against Vic Metro and Vic Country as a powerful half-back with an attacking sense. He spent some time forward late in Glenelg's under-18 season and has some natural footy instincts in his game. He backed up his competitive on-field approach with a strong run in the Combine's 2km time trial with a 6:16 minute time.

Adrian Cole​

Tall defender
194cm
5/1/06

A lockdown defender who thrives on shutting down the best key forwards, Cole developed his game as the season went on. As a backman, Cole gets in the way – he finds a way into marking contests to make spoils, he can close down space and be annoying for opposing forwards. Cole is tied to St Kilda as a Next Generation Academy prospect.

And here's one to keep an eye on as well ... West Australian prospect Hugh Boxshall is very close to being in this group and demonstrates the depth in the pool. As a contested midfielder who is 188cm and an excellent endurance athlete, Boxshall is pushing into considerations in this bracket. He averaged 25 disposals for Claremont's colts side this season and is a watch.
2 of those big guys top 10 in agility at the combine?

It all depends on how much the Tuggers rate Lalor & FOS and want them both. IMO 6 & 23 for 2 isn't going to cut it, we will keep 2 and draft Lalor/FOS. 6 & 18 would be the very least I would guess that we would accept, however I would suspect we would push for 6 & 11, and perhaps meet somewhere in the middle if you can pull a trade with another club. I know the Tuggers have been big on FOS for a very long time, but all the media talk right now suggests Lalor will be first picked. So how badly do you want them both in yellow & black?

Looks like we are taking FOS or Lalor.. you aint getting both. Its 6 and 11 or **** off. The dream of having 2 of Smith, FOS or Lalor is now a dream.

TAKE IT TO THE BANK.

Looks like we are taking FOS or Lalor.. you aint getting both. Its 6 and 11 or **** off. The dream of having 2 of Smith, FOS or Lalor is now a dream.

TAKE IT TO THE BANK.

That's fair and totally understand why you would want to retain pick 2 as well. We're fortunate that pick 6 will net a very strong midfielder anyway. I dont think the dream of having Lalor/FOS is held that strong by Hartley. I hope you guys get the guy that Carlton so desperately wants (whoever that may be).

Pick 6 must be in the deal. 6 and 11 or we use pick 2 in the draft. Ive had enough of this shit. You ****ers understand pick 2 is the second best pick of elite talent in the country right?
So if Tigers don't deal 6 & 11 or 6 & 10 what do we do then, go to Saints and try 7 & 8, maybe Mel for 5 & 9...and then if those teams don't want to give up their hand, then what? You only have what, 5 mins to decide to use 2? Oh wait, lets throw in a F1 as kicker...so we want to throw in a possible pick 1 to 4 next year..14th finished with 11 wins, repeat 11 wins which we haven't achieved since 2018!!
I understand your point and know the value of pick 2, but it's only valuable if someone wants it in this draft, l don't see Saints or Melbourne giving up their draft positions for one pick because of the evenness of this draft.
But l can see Richmond wanting pick 2 to get the Sheez/Wardlaw scenario but l feel their 6 is strategic if they are after Armstrong.

So if Tigers don't deal 6 & 11 or 6 & 10 what do we do then, go to Saints and try 7 & 8, maybe Mel for 5 & 9...and then if those teams don't want to give up their hand, then what? You only have what, 5 mins to decide to use 2? Oh wait, lets throw in a F1 as kicker...so we want to throw in a possible pick 1 to 4 next year..14th finished with 11 wins, repeat 11 wins which we haven't achieved since 2018!!
I understand your point and know the value of pick 2, but it's only valuable if someone wants it in this draft, l don't see Saints or Melbourne giving up their draft positions for one pick because of the evenness of this draft.

If we trade pick 2 it will be done before the night. I expect to draft with it and trade in a future live on the night/s.

I still want Luke Trainor.
Me too. Personal for me, as I know him. He's a ripping kid and would love nothing more than to play for North. The concussion stuff is all blown out of proportion. He's had 3 of them. But if you saw him play live it's no surprise, would give Archer and Chom a run for their money in the bravery stakes.
Gotta feel for him, pretty shocking media treatment IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back