Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't anticipate Duurs being a full time midfielder. It would be a waste also considering his natural forward ability also.

He will roll through there, I think he will play on the wing at times, but he's a bit of a Sheezel, will lineup at half forward and float everywhere type imo. Particularly if we have that side of the gound covered.

Colby was a better natural clearance player as a junior than just about anyone we've drafted in the last decade (including Wardlaw on raw numbers), he just does it in a different way.

He absolutely will find himself in the midfield rotation. It's just where he spends his other time is the interesting consideration.

I don't think we need a Smillie/Jagga pure center square midfielder that has little flexibility.

A FOS that can play on all lines with a big motor, would fit in very nicely.
Smillie has more flexibility than FOS

Smillie is a genuine utility, would happily have him play a hbf role like he did a few weeks ago

FOS for mine has only shown signs last year in the midfield

Keen to see what FOS does when he comes back from injury

Smillie is a genuine utility, would happily have him play a hbf role like he did a few weeks ago

Keen to see what FOS does when he comes back from injury
I lean towards FOS atm, but would be happy with either.

Smillie is a genuine utility

I don't really see how you could consider Smillie a genuine utility. He doesn't really play anywhere else effectively other than as a genuine center square midfielder.

You could develop him into that, but that's pure speculation at this point.

O'Sullivan can play across pretty much every line with his overhead ability and ball use.

He's also very much a two way player with his hardness and accountability, even in midfield.

I don't really see how you could consider Smillie a genuine utility. He doesn't really play anywhere else effectively other than as a genuine center square midfielder.

O'Sullivan can play across pretty much every line with his overhead ability and ball use.

He's also very much a two way player with his hardness and accountability, even in midfield.
Plays hbf also just refer to the champs round 1 game where he played there after quarter time

With his height I could see him go forward and have an impact also with a mismatch

FOS is only a mid for mine

Luke Urquhart continues to push his case to be taken in the first round of the draft with his stellar play in this years Champs series. He was red hot early, seeming to win every center bounce clearance in the opening quarter which lead to WA getting on top in the contest. He was quieter after halftime as WA increasingly got overrun by Metro's greater depth, although he did get involved in a couple of notable and impressive scoring chains. His kicking was off for most of the game, highlighted by some extreme shanks.

Any relation to Gavin?

Can FOS play as a small forward?

He's not really a "small forward".

He's got a burst of pace over a few steps, but he's not like Shai Bolton or anything.

His best attributes are his ball use by foot, clean hands, agility etc. He's also got a big engine.

He's an elite long kick.

Plays hbf also just refer to the champs round 1 game where he played there after quarter time

With his height I could see him go forward and have an impact also with a mismatch

FOS is only a mid for mine

Well I disagree.

I think we'd park him on a wing for a decade for us.

If you consider that "mid", that's up for consideration.

I don't really and they need unique skill sets in the modern game.

He's more Josh Kelly than George Wardlaw, put it that way.

I think the way we are going this discussion might be a bit irrelevant anyway.

FOS isn't getting outside the top 2 and we still play all of the Suns (Marvel), Eagles (Tassie) and Tigers (Marvel) in the run home.

I think Trainor would make a lot of sense. My only concern is that despite his height he is a bit of a 3rd tall interceptor rather than playing as a genuine key defender. In saying that, his direct opposition on the weekend were either Max Rohr and Kayle Gerryen (who are both tall KP's) and he did well quelling their influence.

At the moment I have Tom Sims in that 40-50 range, Malakai Chamption @31 and Kako @15. I seem to have Kako rated a lot higher than many out there, but I can't see any scenario where he is taken outside of the top 15.
Long term isn’t medium defender / interceptor more pressing given we have Logue, Comben and Dawson x2? Trainor to replace McDonald and Corr roles when they retire would be massive

He's got a burst of pace over a few steps, but he's not like Shai Bolton or anything.

His best attributes are his ball use by foot, clean hands, agility etc. He's also got a big engine.

He's an elite long kick.
Also a big vertical leap in testing from memory. Doesnt mind sitting on heads.

I've almost exclusively seen him play higher up the ground. Even as a forward he's played high half forward pushing up to the wing and through the middle. I can't say I ever recall him doing the classic lead/mark/goal thing from deep forward. Which isnt to say he's not capable of that, I just havent seen him play that type of role to this stage.

And just like that we have a new pick 1 contender. Sam Lalor playing his first game back in the Talent League since returning from a long injury layoff to start the season demonstrates that every part of his game is in tip top condition as he turns in possibly the best performance of the season. Powerful, brutal, attacking and clean, he was strong overhead, hit up targets over all distances by foot and absorbed contact to release teammates with long creative handballs. The most impressive thing of all might have been his bruising tackles.

And just like that we have a new pick 1 contender. Sam Lalor playing his first game back in the Talent League since returning from a long injury layoff to start the season demonstrates that every part of his game is in tip top condition as he turns in possibly the best performance of the season. Powerful, brutal, attacking and clean, he was strong overhead, hit up targets over all distances by foot and absorbed contact to release teammates with long creative handballs. The most impressive thing of all might have been his bruising tackles.

Been one of my favourites for a long time. Always found him hard to place because of how well developed he is and because of his lack of exposed form due to injury.

Really hoping that he and Jonty Faull get to play for VC sooner rather than later.

Been one of my favourites for a long time. Always found him hard to place because of how well developed he is and because of his lack of exposed form due to injury.

Really hoping that he and Jonty Faull get to play for VC sooner rather than later.
I only need to see a couple more games like that from him and I'm pushing all my chips in. His stoppage craft is so much better now than it was last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I only need to see a couple more games like that from him and I'm pushing all my chips in. His stoppage craft is so much better now than it was last year.

I want to see the yo-yo and 2km times to be honest.

We need to see him in the Champs or at the very least a full strength CTL this season. He’s annihilated some APS games and a weakened CTL during nationals.

There’s shades of Dusty/Rockliff from him, the thing that separated Dustin (despite him claiming it was a weakness) was that he had an above average tank despite how big and fast he was. His ball use was always elite also.

He’s definitely got most other aspects you need covered for that body type.

The first thing you question for a kid that size is speed, he has it. He’s got enough burst speed to be a real problem.

He’s a great kick and he’s very clean.

He’s super aggressive and also has a defensive side.

He can accumulate, he can kick goals.

The tank wont be a deal breaker but it would be interesting to see.

Either way if Lalor can legitimately elevate into the top 3, it’s good for North.

I watched a fair bit of Cam Rayner as a junior and had a bit of exposure to Sam Lalor as a junior because he plays at one of the local clubs. I'd argue that Lalor is a better player at the same age and has just as good forward craft, but with more midfield upside. Has that same sort of two step explosiveness/power and long kicking, but has more intensity around the contest.

He's an elite long kick.
Makes him sound like LDU.

Nah, maybe my description isn’t a good one. FOS isn’t the same body shape or have that same speed off the mark.

He’s more like someone like Steele Sidebottom, but a better athlete.

Remembering Steele as a kid played everywhere also.
Yes but his 10 goal TAC GF performance certainly didn't hurt his chances has FOS got that in him like Sidebottom?

He's an elite long kick.
From what ive seen he's also super strong marking overhead for his size.

FOS sounds like a Luke Hodge type?

There have been glowing reports of Trainors performance in this game from other outlets, but the tale of the tape is a little more mixed. He had a couple of outstanding defensive moments, including a contested mark early and a tough ground ball win late, but also some other less impressive defensive efforts. A high proportion of his 26 disposals came from kick ins, and a number of his longer rebound 50s resulted in turnovers, although some of those can be at least partially blamed on poor aerial contests by the tall targets he kicked to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back