Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The best small forward performance we've seen at the Champs so far. Kako seemed to be in every productive sequence in the front half for Metro, regularly providing the pivotal touch of class or burst of speed needed. He underlined his potential by snapping two excellent opportunist goals.

We have to draft this guy

Eagles and tigers will be bottom 2 next year

Yeah, I think both these sides have to trade hard to get some picks in otherwise they'll be still rebuilding when Tassie comes into comp.
Richmond should just about being throwing everynbody on the table, Taranto, Lynch, Hopper, Rioli, Bolton, Baker, Short, Balta etc. Some have more value than others, but they need to go hard and do it quickly.

Saints another who are in a shite position.

The worst thing in footbal is not understanding where you're at as a club.

Yeah, I think both these sides have to trade hard to get some picks in otherwise they'll be still rebuilding when Tassie comes into comp.
Richmond should just about being throwing everynbody on the table, Taranto, Lynch, Hopper, Rioli, Bolton, Baker, Short, Balta etc. Some have more value than others, but they need to go hard and do it quickly.

Its interesting, when we were in Richmond's position this board got very upset with offloading senior types players and ours had little to no market value. Anyone with market value we kept to have experience around the kids.

Balta would be incredible next to Comben. They really would be a filthy KPD pairing.

BFNAAK also.

Richmond would want the world though and he’s not worth close to our top pick despite how many times Ralph writes it secretly wanting it

If we could split our pick I’d consider it, Richmond would want more than that though.

A Zurhaar compo result in the clubs favour could open up a possibility like this though.

Last edited:
Updated top 50, with a few additional names added to my draft-able list.

Notable changes include:
- Ashcroft pushes into the top 2.
- Kako, Reid, Langford and Travaglia are pushing their names into top 10 calculations through consistency and body of work.
- Allen and Dodson push into the top 20 for the same reasons as above.
- Urquhart pushes into the top 30 for the first time this year
- Some of the talls (Shanahan, J.Whitlock, O'Farrell) slip back due to other showing more at the championships
- Tom Sims into the top 30.
- Jack Ough, Harry Armstrong and Benny Barrett push into top 35-50 calculations s on the back of championship form.

PickNameHeightPositionClubComments
1Finn O'Sullivan182cmMidfielderOakleigh ChargersCourageous midfielder who is strong over head, powerful runner who runs hard both ways.
2Levi Ashcroft179cmMidfielderSandringham DragonsAccumulating midfielder that powers from contest to contest. Balanced inside and outside game.
3Josh Smillie194cmMidfielderEastern RangesTall midfielder that finds possession at will and has a long penetrating kick.
4Leo Lombard178cmMidfielderGC AcademyCombative contested midfielder who has some real zip around the contest.
5Sid Draper180cmMidfielderSouth AdelaideClassy midfielder that has some speed and evasiveness. Well balanced with excellent vision.
6Luke Trainor194cmKey DefenderSandringham DragonsIntercepting general defender who can play on smalls and talls. Composed and balanced.
7Jagga Smith181cmMidfielderOakleigh ChargersWell balanced accumulating midfielder who is at home on the inside and outside the contest.
8Sam Lalor187cmMidfielder/General ForwardGWV RebelsPowerful midfielder, who is explosive and damaging. Can roll forward and have an impact.
9Matt Whitlock198cmKey DefenderMurray BushrangersOne on one defender who can also swing forward. Strong overhead but equally adept on the ground.
10Isaac Kako175cmSmall ForwardCalder CannonsDynamic and exciting small who can kick goals from anywhere. Also pushes into the midfield.
11Murphy Reid180cmMidfielderSandringham DragonsSmart and classy midfielder who makes good decisions with ball in hand. One touch.
12Harvey Langford190cmMidfielderDandenong StingraysTall and versatile midfielder who is strong overhead and has a booming left foot kick.
13Tobie Travaglia187cmGeneral DefenderBendigo PioneersIntercepting defender who can provide run and carry. Excellent defender with leadership potential.
14Christian Moraes183cmMidfielderEastern RangesAccumulating midfielder that can roll forward and impact the scoreboard. Strong overhead.
15Ben Camporeale186cmMidfielderGlenelgBalanced midfielder who works hard between the arcs. Can find the ball inside and outside the contest.
16Harry O'Farrell196cmKey DefenderCalder CannonsLockdown competitive defender that uses his reach and closing speed to advantage.
17Jack Whitlock200cmTall ForwardMurray BushrangersRangy key forward that marks at the highest point but can also find the ball at ground level.
18Taj Hotton182cmMidfielder/General ForwardSandringham DragonsClassy midfielder forward who has plenty of X-Factor. Unfortunately done his ACL.
19Bo Allen191cmGeneral Defender/MidfielderPeel ThunderPhysical left footer who leads from the front. Uses his speed and long kicking to launch offensive attacks.
20Alex Dodson203cmRuckSturtAthletic ruckman who covers the ground well and can find the ball. Very balanced for a tall.
21Jonty Faull195cmTall ForwardGWV RebelsGoal kicking key forward who works hard to provide an option. Competitive in the air
22Tyler Welsh191cmKey ForwardWoodville WestUndersize key forward who is a strong lead/mark type. Neat set shot goal kicking.
23Joe Berry180cmSmall ForwardMurray BushrangersLively small forward who can crumb but also present an option on the lead. Classy goal kicker.
24Jobe Shanahan194cmKey ForwardBendigo PioneersContested marking key forward who times his leads and jumps at the ball to perfection.
25Lucas Camporeale185cmMidfielderGlenelgNatural wingman who keeps his width and can accumulate the ball on the outside.
26Luke Urquhart189cmMidfielderEast FremantleTall midfielder that can also play across half back. Uses his body well in contested situations.
27Tom Gross181cmMidfelderOakleigh ChargersTough, contested midfielder that has a real competitive streak. Solid overhead.
28Xavier Lindsay183cmMidfielderGippsland PowerLeft footed midfielder with a damaging kick. Has some speed to break the lines.
29Sam Marshall185cmMidfielderBrisbane AcademyElite runner who motors from contest to contest. Creates separation from the contest with his pace.
30Tom Sims199cmKey ForwardNorthern KnightsLead up key forward who has good workrate. Solid at ground level for a kid his size.
31Noah Mraz198cmKey DefenderDandenong StingraysIntercepting defender, who has excellent disposal and decision making. Good closing speed.
32Cooper Hynes190cmMidfielder/General ForwardDandenong StingraysTall midfielder who is a goal kicking threat when playing forward of centre. Strong over the ball.
33Kayle Gerryn199cmKey Forward/RuckWest PerthUnique athletic prospect that has a tonne of potential upside.
34Malakai Champion172cmSmall ForwardSubiacoFlashy small forward who can kick goals from anywhere. Provides good defensive pressure.
35Harry Armstrong193cmKey ForwardSandringham DragonsHigh workrate key forward who is at home on the lead. Excellent set shot routine.
36Zak Johnson185cmMidfielderNorthern KnightsClassy midfielder, who moves well, accumulates the ball and makes good decisions.
37Pheonix Hargraves182cmMidfielderSouth AdelaideAccumulating midfielder who have high work rate. Can also impact the scoreboard
38Charlie Nicholls197cmKey ForwardCentral DistrictStrong contested marking key forward who provides a leading option up the ground.
39Evan Bradley174cmSmall ForwardNorth AdelaideClassy small forward who is creative and damaging by foot. Natural goalkicking with plenty of X Factor
40Ben Barrett174cmSmall ForwardSouth AdelaideLightning quick small forward who has a bucket of tricks and high impact per possession.
41Archer Day-Wicks186cmGeneral ForwardBendigo PioneersX-Factor player who can mark, and be damaging at ground level. Creative and classy ball user.
42Luca Grego183cmGeneral Defender/MidfielderWestern JetsWorkman utility who can play a variety of roles across the ground. Reliable type.
43Josh Murphy190cmGeneral ForwardMurray BushrangersImpact player who has plenty of x-factor. Contested marking threat who is dangerous at ground level.
44Jesse Dattoli179cmMidfielder/Small ForwardNorthern KnightsHigh footy IQ, who can play a variety of roles around the ground. Dangerous and smart around goals.
45Harrison Oliver181cmGeneral DefenderSandringham DragonsRebounding defender who uses his composure and good decision making to good effect.
46Jack Ough193cmGeneral DefenderGWV RebelsHard working and athletic half back/wing who can play a variety of roles across the ground.
47Cody Anderson181cmMidfielderEastern RangesRelentless midfielder that tackles hard. At home inside the contest, can also hit the scoreboard.
48Nathaniel Sulzberger184cmMidfielder/General ForwardSandringham DragonsStrong contested player who offers a point of difference with his power around the contest.
49Pat Retschko188cmMidfielderOakleigh ChargersHard working midfielder who can play inside and outside the contest. Strong runner.
50Lachie Jacques184cmGeneral DefenderGeelong FalconsDefence first defender, who can intercept and provide drive off half back. Reliable ball user.
50+Oliver Depaoli-Kubank178cmMidfielder/Small ForwardTasmania DevilsConsistent type who can play a variety of roles. Reliable disposal and sound decision maker.
50+Jayden Nguyen177cmGeneral Defender/MidfielderCalder CannonsSmall defender who can push up the ground. Creative ball user who uses his speed to impact the game.
50+Zaydyn Lockwood198cmKey DefenderBendigo PioneersRaw and athletic key defender who has plenty of upside. Solid defensive craft and in the 1v1's.
50+Alix Tauru191cmGeneral DefenderGippsland PowerAthletic defender who can play on talls and smalls, excellent closing speed and leap. Sound decision making.
50+Oliver Warburton185cmMidfielderMurray BushrangersVersatile type who can play inside and outside the contest. Consistent with good defensive intensity.
50+Jasper Alger182cmSmall ForwardOakleigh ChargersClassy small forward who makes the most of his opportunities. Good defensive intensity.
50+Lucas McInerney180cmMidfielderNorthern KnightsRangy winger who keeps his width and can be damaging forward of centre. Good disposer.
50+Noah Howes196cmKey ForwardSouth AdelaideOverage key forward with strong workrate. Good ground level game and has natural forward craft
50+River Stevens176cmSmall ForwardGeelong FalconsClassy half forward that makes good decisions with the ball. Creative left footer.
50+Charlie West195cmKey ForwardWoodville WestStrong marking and physical key forward. Flies aggressively at the ball in contested situations.
50+Zac McInnes196cmKey ForwardGeelong FalconsMobile key forward with good forward craft. Uses workrate to present multiple times.
50+James Barrat193cmKey ForwardBendigo PioneersLeading forward with good leap and excellent timing. Elite forward craft and workrate.
50+Louie Montgomery184cmGeneral DefenderNorth AdelaideComposed defender who uses the ball well. Solid 1v1 player who can also create off half back.
50+Bailey McKenzie191cmGeneral ForwardSandringham DragonsMercurial 3rd tall type that can impact the game at ground level or in the air. Classy in front of goal.
50+Gabriel Stumpf196cmKey ForwardNorthern KnightsAthletic key forward who is at home leading at the ball carrier. Strong workrate.
50+Lucas Tovey198cmKey DefenderOakleigh ChargersIntercepting key defender, who uses his body really well in the contest. Reliable ball user.
50+Xavier Ivisic180cmMidfielderGeelong FalconsReliable inside midfielder who can also find the ball on the outside. Good vision in the contest.
50+Ben Hopkins190cmGeneral DefenderDandenong StingraysOverage accumulating defender who can also push up to a wing. Quick and hard running.
50+Kobe Ryan183cmMidfielderWest AdelaideMature age inside midfielder that wins contested possessions and has manic defensive effort.
50+Joe Pike203cmRuckGeelong FalconsOverage ruck man who competes at ground level. Solid tap work and follow up effort.
50+Oliver Dean201cmRuckTasmania DevilsNeat tap ruckman that can impact forward of centre.
50+Waylon Davey-Motlop171cmSmall ForwardNorthern TerritoryClassy small forward who has plenty of X-Factor and upside. Can kick goals from anywhere inside fwd 50.
50+Tallan Rozenweig197cmKey ForwardCentral DistrictTall forward who uses his leap and long limbs to take the ball at the highest point. Neat kick.
50+Xavier Kardarchi186cmMidfielderWestern JetsAccumulating midfielder who is strong around the contest. Composed with a solid long kick.
50+Oliver Hannaford180cmMidfielderGWV FalconsAgile midfielder who uses his side step to create space around the contest. Good defensive intent.
50+Damon Hollow180cmMidfielderCalder CannonsAccumulating wingman who can be damaging with his disposal. Long kicking a real feature.
50+Kade Herbert184cmMidfielder/General ForwardWoodville WestHigh footy IQ, who can play a variety of roles around the ground. Sound decision maker.
50+Harry Charleson182cmGeneral DefenderGWV RebelsReliable defender who is composed and can provide some drive off half back.
50+Liam Kershaw194cmMidfielderGeelong FalconsOverage wingman who offers a point of difference with his height, marking ability and running capacity
50+Joel Cochrane195cmKey DefenderSydney AcademyIntercepting defender who can find the ball and provide rebound from the back half.
50+Loch McTaggert183cmGeneral DefenderPerthNeat defender who has good balance between his defensive application and rebound
50+Jaxon Artemis187cmWingSouth FremantleHard running outside type who can also create off half back, good decision making and skills
50+Max Rohr197cmKey ForwardClaremontOverage key forward who has natural forward craft. Dangerous in the air and neat with ball in hand.
50+Hugh Boxshall187cmMidfielderClaremontStrong running midfielder who can play inside and outside the contest. Good decision maker.
If we traded our #1/#2 pick for 3 players - Forward Whitlock, Travaglia, and Kako. Do we think that's a good outcome? Ticks a lot of boxes for me.

Eagles and tigers will be bottom 2 next year
Im not sure about the Eagles.

While they were putrid against Hawthorn, their squad isnt that bad. No idea how they got smashed around the midfield all game with a midfield of $1.8m Harley Reid, Ginbey, Yeo, Kelly.

Down back they're solid with Barrass, McGovern and Duggan. Forwards they're better off than most with Allen, Waterman and Ryan. They only need roll players around that lot.

Balta would be incredible next to Comben. They really would be a filthy KPD pairing.

BFNAAK also.

Richmond would want the world though and he’s not worth close to our top pick despite how many times Ralph writes it secretly wanting it

If we could split our pick I’d consider it, Richmond would want more than that though.

A Zurhaar compo result in the clubs favour could open up a possibility like this though.
I might think about swapping 1 & 19* for Balta and 2/3 whatever they finish with.

But I would play him forward.

Logue
Comben
Xerri
Sheezel
Balta
Larkey

That is a decent spine. We still walk away with Trainor, Smillie, Kako or Draper.

I might think about swapping 1 & 19* for Balta and 2/3 whatever they finish with.

But I would play him forward.

Logue
Comben
Xerri
Sheezel
Balta
Larkey

That is a decent spine. We still walk away with Trainor, Smillie, Kako or Draper.

He’s a way better defender.

This is complete fantasy level stuff.

But in the rare event Zurhaar left and netted Band 1 and we finish 17th:

Send pick 3 to Gold Coast for 8 & 10. They beat the Lombard pick before the rules change next year. We would be one of the few who could offer it.

Send Pick 8 to Richmond for Balta.

Take Kako at Pick 10* (13-14)

Pick one of FOS, Smillie, Lalor at #2

Send a F2 to GWS for Gruzewski.

Take Faull at our R2.

The net loss is Zurhaar, #2, #20, F2 for Balta, Gruzewski, FOS, Kako, Faull.

I am of the opinion, that based on the style of play we will have once we have matured, that we will not necessarily need another genuine star key forward, just guys who can get up the ground to clunk marks. I wouldn’t mind us taking the pairing of Sims and Nicholls as genuine contested markers. I view Nicholls as a McStay type, with his contested marking giving him a baseline to be a useful key forward or defender. Otherwise I agree on Gruzewski as a trade target.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The best small forward performance we've seen at the Champs so far. Kako seemed to be in every productive sequence in the front half for Metro, regularly providing the pivotal touch of class or burst of speed needed. He underlined his potential by snapping two excellent opportunist goals.

Hot take but I wouldn't be mad with Kako over Smilie or Trainor

If we traded our #1/#2 pick for 3 players - Forward Whitlock, Travaglia, and Kako. Do we think that's a good outcome? Ticks a lot of boxes for me.

If we could gaurantee that outcome I’d do it in a heartbeat. Kako and Travaglia would have to be two of my personal favourites in this draft.

BFNAAK also.

Send em CJ, a bag of twisties (chicken flavour), and Liam Anthony for steak knives. Yeah second rounder I'd have thought but wouldn't satisfy them. He couldn't be too far off free agency??

I am of the opinion, that based on the style of play we will have once we have matured, that we will not necessarily need another genuine star key forward, just guys who can get up the ground to clunk marks. I wouldn’t mind us taking the pairing of Sims and Nicholls as genuine contested markers. I view Nicholls as a McStay type, with his contested marking giving him a baseline to be a useful key forward or defender. Otherwise I agree on Gruzewski as a trade target.

Thankfully there will be a few potential key forward options available at our 2nd and 3rd round picks.

Sims, Nicholls, Gerryen and Armstrong. All quite strong in the air.

Plus the likes of Stumpf, Rohr, West, Howes, or McInnes who are likely to be available late in the ND or as rookies.

Trade Future First to GC for 8,9

Kako
Trevalgia*

* top 10 player from draft certain IMO. My silly statement is he reminds me of James Hird. Worst case you get a solid defender. But best case is amazing.

FOS pick 1 if we get it

If it’s pick 2 then offer it to Richmond for their FF and a later pick. They’ll be all over FOS and Smillie. Should be a top 3 pick next year.

Use all later picks on KPF’s and River.

Depending what happens with our pick and form of Draper the Crows might be happy to trade up to ensure they get the local kid.
The Crow's need an elite midfielder, or one that's going to be very good, I wouldn't be surprised if Hamish Ogilvie has these four players at the top : Finn O'Sullivan/ Josh Smillie/ Sid Draper/ Sam Lalor. I know they have wraps on Luke Pedlar who went pick 11 in the 2020 AFL draft, has had some injuries and been playing on the forward line as well as a little bit of time in the middle, just needs to get a couple of seasons under the belt with no injuries.

Yeah look its an interesting scenario, future first, one word no! Future second, now we're talking, like Kako, like Travaglia and Jack Whitlock , look I think Jack might go a bit later than where some have him on their draft boards, still too much water under the bridge for me, but if you like him, then there's nothing wrong with that!

I'll give my first two rounds after the championships of where I rate them, a July draft edition and then my final draft board about a week from the actual event might look a little bit different but not too much, even at this stage some people know what the majority of players are capable of so I'll back my judgement, though there might be a surprise or two in my draft order which not everyone will agree with but that's fine, its just my assessment.

BFNAAK also.

Does Logue, Comben and Balta fit together down back? Would be a bit too tall wouldn't it?
Do we send Will Dawson forward if that happened? Not totally against it but seems a bit silly to me.
We do need to add another 198cm plus key defender as depth in this years or next years draft though.

Does Logue, Comben and Balta fit together down back? Would be a bit too tall wouldn't it?
Do we send Will Dawson forward if that happened? Not totally against it but seems a bit silly to me.
We do need to add another 198cm plus key defender as depth in this years or next years draft though.

Logue is 191cm

He’s an ideal 3rd tall with two big key defenders.

In the same way Josh Gibson was under Clarko

I just don't see us taking a tall defender when we've got so much depth in the position now.

But wasn’t Chom a Forward?

At that age make them into anything you want.

Cripps was a slow plodder as a junior and lots walked past him early on the Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back