Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I really like this guy. Him and Hayes have something about them. Just look like good footballers.
Where to you think Davis' draft range is?
I still find the WA lads difficult to place. I like his athletic profile and he kicked goals for WA when there wasn't always a lot of quality ball coming in.

I'm going to stick to saying he's a pick 30+ guy until I see him play some post champs WAFL seniors (hopefully).

I'm not sure if his type/profile is exactly what the WA clubs are after, so they probably don't pounce early.

Yeah I didn't even think about Bailey Smith, Baker, D Rioli and Logan Mc trade rumours.
It could change a lot of things if Tigers blow things up or Freo gets aggressive.
Freo do have picks 12,13,16 and 24 at this stage..they're in prime spot to pick up some of these WA talents that we Vic's don't see much....WCE 3 & 23 isn't getting much.

Freo do have picks 12,13,16 and 24 at this stage..they're in prime spot to pick up some of these WA talents that we Vic's do see much....WCE 3 & 23 isn't getting much.
Yep that could be prime spot for Bo Allen at 12/13 or Gerryn at 24 if we don't take him.
I meant more if they go after Logan Mc or even Curtin, not trade up the order.

River Stevens, Geelong College

Stevens, the son of dual North Melbourne premiership player Anthony, has been Geelong College’s standout player this season. The highlight of his APS campaign came in the Geelong school derby, where the creative small won the best-on-ground medal with 21 disposals, 11 contested possessions and two goals. Geelong College coach Adam Cooney believes Stevens has a lot of talent and “definitely has some AFL attributes”. Stevens has gone on to show some good signs for Vic Country, including a two-goal performance against South Australia.

Im more than happy to take Smillie or FoS.

LDU has yet to sign, then Powell and Phillips haven't locked midfield spots yet and can work in a wider rotation anyway.
Powell could easily play HB if cant lock it up. Phillips can play a small pressure forward if it came to it also who'd create us a few goals per game easily. Simpkin 27 next year with huge concussion issues should be spending less time in the middle and McKercher should be ear marked for a wing.

IF we got FOS throw him on the other wing eventually if not day 1. If Smillie he'd still work well in our rotations.

I dont see how anyone could suggest we're in a position to pass over the best available because of positioning.
Correctomondo! Not IF we finish top two or three depending on Will's whiteboard, BUT, if one team trade up with us {if we finish 3rd / 4th } with a very good offer it doesn't hurt to listen.

Yep im well aware its the same argument the split it crowd use every single year.

IF...big if, it were true no club would ever trade up to make splitting the pick worth while and finishing 9th would be celebrated.
Who says YAY 9th we're just as good a chance to land an A grade player as any club?
It might have something to do with North’s list balance compared to other clubs.

Comparing our midfield to the bottom 6 teams, our is by far the better placed over the next ten years. But we have major holes elsewhere across the ground that our direct competitors don’t.

Delivering Hungry Jacks no doubt.
About the same as Richmond keeping a close eye on Jonty Faull, this is going to be one of the most intriguing drafts seen for a long time so many questions, teams with list balance issues, teams down near the bottom with not a lot pick wise and the big question, trading two years of draft picks, there is going to be an avalanche of picks flying all over the place and don't forget that Tassie will be entering the comp in 2028, thankfully our rebuild won't be affected. ;)

About the same as Richmond keeping a close eye on Jonty Faull, this is going to be one of the most intriguing drafts seen for a long time so many questions, teams with list balance issues, teams down near the bottom with not a lot pick wise and the big question, trading two years of draft picks, there is going to be an avalanche of picks flying all over the place and don't forget that Tassie will be entering the comp in 2028, thankfully our rebuild won't be affected. ;)

The real question is who Richmond rate at #1.

If they have Smillie at #1, we are sitting pretty, if they have FOS it makes it interesting.

They have the Giants (MCG), North (Marvel), Saints (Marvel), Hawks (MCG), Suns (MCG)

In their run home.

Taranto and Hopper really stiffened them up on the weekend and they were good against Carlton for 3 qtrs.

I could see them jagging at least 1 win in that.

I think the Eagles are about to hit full tank mode again. Wouldn't be surprised to see Reid cotton wool'd on the run home.

They pretty much only have 3 games you could argue they are a chance in Saints (Marvel), North (Hobart), Suns (Optus).

I'd be surprised if we won another 3 games.

These two will really be enacting some gamesmanship, where our playing list is sick of losing and ligitmantly want to win. Its going to be an interesting run home.

Last week I would have said Richmond were a certainty for the spoon, but they looked ALOT better with Hopper and Taranto back. They get Lynch back in a week or two also.

Correctomondo! Not IF we finish top two or three depending on Will's whiteboard, BUT, if one team trade up with us {if we finish 3rd / 4th } with a very good offer it doesn't hurt to listen.
Of course always ready to listen, but do so knowing they're offering a deal they think they win.

That’s a fair assessment mate, but in my opinion it’s a different scenario this year. Last year you had an obvious top 5/6 that were serious class above the rest, same in 2022,21 and 20. I wouldn’t have traded down in any of those previous drafts.

Despite that, WC still traded down and we’re happy to get Ginbey and additional draft picks.

Clubs like GC would absolutely love the chance to trade up to get ahead of their bids on academy players, so would the lions.
Thats cool, i agree every year is different but i was more referring to the people that are calling for splitting picks almost every year. Tbh i dont know if you are one or not. Even so theres so much more to play out in rating draftees and knowing what pick we have before considering an offer that may or may not come our way for said pick.

Given we just played them and 'some' people liken Smillie to him, was Bontempelli such a stand out in his draft? IF he was why did he go pick 4 after Boyd, Kelly and Billings.

After his pick theres a hell of a lot of hit and miss even though theres many solid players still going from pick 30 and higher. Is LMac and Salem better than the Bont? LMac and Scharenberg or Aish or Freeman or Sheed?

This is the crux of my point, it becomes more hit and miss. So 1 of those split picks is far more likely to dud, then you're left with the other thats is less likely to even be as good. Not saying they cant be as good, just less likely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is Kako rated outside the top 10?

Is it just a positional value thing? Or hard to draft a guy who doesn't get 30 possessions?

The real question is who Richmond rate at #1.

If they have Smillie at #1, we are sitting pretty, if they have FOS it makes it interesting.

They have the Giants (MCG), North (Marvel), Saints (Marvel), Hawks (MCG), Suns (MCG)

In their run home.

Taranto and Hopper really stiffened them up on the weekend and they were good against Carlton for 3 qtrs.

I could see them jagging at least 1 win in that.

I think the Eagles are about to hit full tank mode again. Wouldn't be surprised to see Reid cotton wool'd on the run home.

They pretty much only have 3 games you could argue they are a chance in Saints (Marvel), North (Hobart), Suns (Optus).

I'd be surprised if we won another 3 games.

These two will really be enacting some gamesmanship, where our playing list is sick of losing and ligitmantly want to win. Its going to be an interesting run home.

Last week I would have said Richmond were a certainty for the spoon, but they looked ALOT better with Hopper and Taranto back. They get Lynch back in a week or two also.
Not quite as big as the Battle of Kursk but this is looming as the second biggest tank battle ever.

Last edited:
Do others think we should be aiming for pick 1 at this point in the season? My preference would be that we have pick 2 or 3, as our list already has a lot of talented youngsters and imo it's more important that we start nourishing them with wins. We need positive reinforcement for increased effort.
Isn't it depressing that we have this discussion every year? I'm with you, wins over one. Others hold very strong opinions the other way, however.......

Do others think we should be aiming for pick 1 at this point in the season? My preference would be that we have pick 2 or 3, as our list already has a lot of talented youngsters and imo it's more important that we start nourishing them with wins. We need positive reinforcement for increased effort.
I don't think we've ever aimed for Pick 1, we've ended up with it because of how poor we've been. As Sphynx pointed out above there's going to be some legitimate challengers for Pick 1 this year and any of North, Richmond & The Eagles & could end up at 1, 2 or 3.

I think we're in a fortunate position this year with no stand out number 1 draftee, at this stage, and a reasonably even top 3 - 4 so regardless of where we finish we'll end up with a quality player and depending on other team's needs we may even end up with the player we want even if we don't finish last.

There's a lot to play out.

I would be happy with any of O’Sullivan, Draper or Trainor with our first pick. While the messages about Smillie are mixed, even picking up a clean user like him in the top 5 would still be a boon.

Why is Kako rated outside the top 10?

Is it just a positional value thing? Or hard to draft a guy who doesn't get 30 possessions?

Probably lacks that real high end top speed that recruiters love in small forwards (it’s why Cody Weightman went lower in his draft year). Also some have questions marks on his defensive application.

Personally though, I have no issues with either of those things and could see a club taking him in the top 6/7/8.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back