Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you think the Demons may have with Petracca Oliver Jackson Kossie Rivers Fritch Brayshaw and a few more.
That's an awesome list. But they did trade in May, Lever and Langdon to round out the side.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

That's an awesome list. But they did trade in May, Lever and Langdon to round out the side.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
Thats dead right I reckon its all about timing and the Demons and Hawks traded in the big guns at exactly the right time. Hope we do the same trade in for the big guns when we have utilized the draft to our advantaged no matter how long that takes and have sustained success.

The thing is, what is 'doing a hawthorn' and is that actually a good thing?

If we just summary hawthorn's trejactory, they were 3rd last, get some crafty trade a few players standing up, they shot up the ladder much quikcer than a team like them should.

Now they go helter skelter to get 2 good key defenders thinking next year will be a linear path upwards into top 8 then top 4, if only things work like that in the afl.

A more realistic outlook for them in 2025 is a much harder draw after going from bottom 3 to the top of bottom 8, hawks player lose form, youngster stagnate they fall right down again to where adel, saints are and this yoyoing effect will continue.

They simply grew by 1 year what other teams took 3 years but in doing so, they pushed themselves into a tough position because their core list isn't ready to get into top 8 where you do things slowly one step at a time, you become far more ready to launch into top 4 and i hope this is where we are going.
What you say is true to a point, what I meant in referencing Hawthorn was that the league is getting so even that with the way we have played after the bye that is the way we are projecting, and as I've said before, as Alastair has said multiple times, things can change very quickly in this caper, we are coming along slowly and I don't think we will be a one hit wonder, we are going to be a very good team that when it all "clicks" we are going to be the team that others don't really want to play.

When you get an even competition {close to an even comp and will get even closer} these things happen on a regular occurrence and the shock factor becomes less of one.

What you say is true to a point, what I meant in referencing Hawthorn was that the league is getting so even that with the way we have played after the bye that is the way we are projecting, and as I've said before, as Alastair has said multiple times, things can change very quickly in this caper, we are coming along slowly and I don't think we will be a one hit wonder, we are going to be a very good team that when it all "clicks" we are going to be the team that others don't really want to play.

When you get an even competition {close to an even comp and will get even closer} these things happen on a regular occurrence and the shock factor becomes less of one.

I agree, yes well said.

I feel we are still 2 years away from being ready to 'click'.

But come 2027, amids the chaos from tasmania coming where everyone else is scrambling for picks, we will be finished with the building and ready to assault. Call it...'looting the house when it is burning'

Have seen a few phantom drafts have North taking Trainor at pick 2. Seems way to high. Looks more like about pick 10 to me. Would be handy to replace Corr later on.

Trade down, 2 becomes pick 10 and future first.

But of course, if tigs screws up their pick 1 on jagga smith, we swoop on smilie.

We are crying out for a decent pressure crumbing small forward. Has to be a priority in this draft

Shame that the draft pool of small forwards was essentially cut in half with the NGA rule changes making Kako and Champion unavailable to the rest of the teams.

Trade down, 2 becomes pick 10 and future first.

But of course, if tigs screws up their pick 1 on jagga smith, we swoop on smilie.
Top pick by reports is Finn or Jagga. Richmond have a bit of pressure to get this right and should pick the safer option in Smith. He is a pretty good Cotchin analogue which will sit well with Tige’s fans.

North either trade down or pick FOS.

Top pick by reports is Finn or Jagga. Richmond have a bit of pressure to get this right and should pick the safer option in Smith. He is a pretty good Cotchin analogue which will sit well with Tige’s fans.

North either trade down or pick FOS.

Why not smilie, we have never had that type of player in the team...ever

He might just be the difference between us and the rest...

Shame that the draft pool of small forwards was essentially cut in half with the NGA rule changes making Kako and Champion unavailable to the rest of the teams.
I remember last year you where huge on us picking Mannagh dear me he is really putting in some great games since he has been back in the team. You where right on the money with him. He would have been great for us were we are heading. Great call sadly it did not eventuate.

Why not smilie, we have never had that type of player in the team...ever

He might just be the difference between us and the rest...
From reports and vision his strengths are IQ, finding space in tight, good field kicking and hitting the scoreboard.

We have most of that. What we need is another manic competitor with class, run and athleticism to fill the gaps. The only players in the mids that consistently apply good defensive pressure is Phillips (who is still building a tank) and Wardlaw (who is still building a tank). Having another player with Sheezel and Kerch who can continue to remain the game and compete on any line will be huge.

From reports and vision his strengths are IQ, finding space in tight, good field kicking and hitting the scoreboard.

We have most of that. What we need is another manic competitor with class, run and athleticism to fill the gaps. The only players in the mids that consistently apply good defensive pressure is Phillips (who is still building a tank) and Wardlaw (who is still building a tank). Having another player with Sheezel and Kerch who can continue to remain the game and compete on any line will be huge.

Hmmm, but where would we play him though?

The wings are pretty well covered and centre square looking pretty decent...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember last year you where huge on us picking Mannagh dear me he is really putting in some great games since he has been back in the team. You where right on the money with him. He would have been great for us were we are heading. Great call sadly it did not eventuate.

Really should’ve taken him in the MSD! An opportunity missed to add some mature talent.

I'm a kick behind the play. How did the AFL change the NGA rules?

Clubs who had access to a player who was NGA academy eligible couldn’t match bids on academy players inside the top 40 picks. Meaning if a player was expected to be in the top 40 they’d essentially be in the open pool of available players.

AFL changed it a few weeks ago that clubs can match NGA players no matter where the bid comes in. So Isaac Kako for example, who is expected to go top 15, is now gauranteed to go to Essendon rather than being in the open pool.

Have to take smile if available.
Can't see us taking another 180cm mid.
Need that Bont/Cripps type who can rest forward and be a real threat on field

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back