Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon we get pumped next week by the dogs & lose 3-4% then lose to the hawks & lose 1-2% enough for tigers to pinch a win vs GC at the G & take our spot in 17th .
Spoon is ours again

yep, come to think of it, it's actually a pretty good year in that we have shown significant improvement in the 2nd half and also getting pick 1.

If we are able to get pick 1 then we could trade for the a few of richmond's multitude of firsts plus their future 1st.

If we get pick 2, then we get still get multiple picks.

I reckon we get pumped next week by the dogs & lose 3-4% then lose to the hawks & lose 1-2% enough for tigers to pinch a win vs GC at the G & take our spot in 17th .
Spoon is ours again
Hey Nostra jnr - you don’t have to repeat the same thing in every thread

Hoping ppl are starting to see why we need to trade in a big body mid at stoppages and bounce. At least for the next two years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the Talent League taking a break there are plenty of draft prospects making their VFL debuts this week giving us a chance to see how they step up to a higher level of competition. Playing off a half back flank, Travaglia looked comfortable and confident, displaying his usual intense competitive drive in contested situations as well as his run and carry to launch attacking moves.

Not heard anything since champs, why been going on?
Just evaluating his strengths and weaknesses and I think there are too many red flags with his profile.

The biggest issue is that he doesn't use his size to his advantage, which has been well reported around here. Not only is he not a big contested player, he doesn't have the speed or explosiveness to play as an outside first receiver at AFL level. He has time at Under 18's level to receive on the outside and make decisions with the space he gets, but he's not getting the same space and time at AFL level.

Vertical which combined with 20m sprint times forms a good perspective of the explosive potential in a prospect. Smillie's vertical is 73cm and his 20m time is 3.093. His yo-yo score is ok at 720, but there really isn't an athletic point of difference for him. He won't be one of those players that can take it from inside to outside like LDU, he doesn't have the contested ability of a Cripps and I think he's too slow to play as an outside type at AFL level, which is what he's doing best this year at Under 18's level. He's already a solid boy too at 194cm and 95kg, so he's playing at basically his AFL playing weight.

The main traits I see as his strong points are his kicking, his cleanliness below his knees and he spreads well from the contest. The issue with this is if we want these traits in a prospect, I think Jagga Smith's strengths are these exact same things and he's better at them than Smillie. Jagga also has a great endurance base and is quicker than Smillie (2.990 20m) so he can legitimately be an outside receiver at AFL level.

Jagga has probably the best footy IQ in this draft along with Murphy Reid. Basically, if Smillie was 180cm, he wouldn't go top 30, if Jagga was 194cm, he'd go #1.

We're in a pretty awkward spot if Richmond take FOS, which I think they do. Smith is a great prospect, but I don't think he fits our midfield mix.

Last edited:
Just evaluating his strengths and weaknesses and I think there are too many red flags with his profile.

The biggest issue is that he doesn't use his size to his advantage, which has been well reported around here. Not only is he not a big contested player, he doesn't have the speed or explosiveness to play as an outside first receiver at AFL level. He has time at Under 18's level to receive on the outside and make decisions with the space he gets, but he's not getting the same space and time at AFL level.

Vertical which combined with 20m sprint times forms a good perspective of the explosive potential in a prospect. Smillie's vertical is 73cm and his 20m time is 3.093. His yo-yo score is ok at 720, but there really isn't an athletic point of difference for him. He won't be one of those players that can take it from inside to outside like LDU, he doesn't have the contested ability of a Cripps and I think he's too slow to play as an outside type at AFL level, which is what he's doing best this year at Under 18's level. He's already a solid boy too at 194cm and 95kg, so he's playing at basically his AFL playing weight.

The main traits I see as his strong points are his kicking, his cleanliness below his knees and he spreads well from the contest. The issue with this is if we want these traits in a prospect, I think Jagga Smith's strengths are these exact same things and he's better at them than Smillie. Jagga also has a great endurance base and is quicker than Smillie (2.990 20m) so he can legitimately be an outside receiver at AFL level.

Jagga has probably the best footy IQ in this draft along with Murphy Reid. Basically, if Smillie was 180cm, he wouldn't go top 30, if Jagga was 194cm, he'd go #1.

We're in a pretty awkward spot if Richmond take FOS, which I think they do. Smith is a great prospect, but I don't think he fits our midfield mix.

Thanks for the reply. Similar was said about Bont in his draft year (contested), although i do take the point Smillie seems more one paced. Tbh i think he'd probably be more a forward that pinch hits mid or potential backline.

Share you're fear with FOS who id prefer, however Smith a natural ball magnet would surely suit Richmond. The other option im comfortable with is Draper, who i could see as taking Simpkins role in a few years. He'd really boost our spread/ run, overlap and skilled ball users.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back