Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I believe Moti was a huge fan.

Funny i was at a game cant remember which one or what year, it was long ago tho and pretty sure Cochrane was still playing. Any sitting next to a young fella chatting all things North and Stuey - then i said to him, damn what your saying reminds me so much of this guy on the forums. Sure it enough, it was our (not so young any more Moti). Was a good day chin waggin with him.

Was never a huge Cochrane fan apart from when we drafted him he was meant to be a Carey-esque CHF. I did hold out hope longer than others though, although that was a generation of what if players.

Also, surely the South Australian junior pathways program is not so flawed that the son of a 100 game AFL player needs to be attached to Port Adelaide's academy in order to receive sufficient development coaching for his best shot at getting drafted.
yup....the Poorta supporters will tell us they've won the most premierships of any club....surely they don't need talent handouts

Was never a huge Cochrane fan apart from when we drafted him he was meant to be a Carey-esque CHF. I did hold out hope longer than others though, although that was a generation of what if players.
It was probably early i cant remember, but from memory it was the run which you liked and have you've maintained our need for running power since. Has to be 20+ years ago so yeah its not exactly fresh in the memory but i recall you had lots to say about him at the time. That and run, run, run.

He looks great. And if we were to take a midfielder they need to be versatile like him. But does a small upgrade in the midfield (from say Powell to Draper) improve us as much as upgrading our state league quality second and third talls or getting a couple of quality small forwards on our list? We don't have anyone except RHJ at the moment, while the top teams are playing three or four. We keep putting off balancing our list or thinking or trying to do it with a pile of DFA's and MSD picks, it isn't working.
Well we can take Draper that helps in two areas, and we take one of the talls forwards with our second. Powell i dont mind setting up on a back flank using his skills through the middle. But first we need guys who can get separation in the middle.

If Adelaide wanted to jump from pick 4 to pick 2 to ensure they get Draper, what would be the likely price? This is under the assumption that the players we rate will definitely still be available at 4.

Could a 3 way trade with Adelaide and Gold Coast work?

North Melbourne receive: Pick 4 (Adel), Pick 13 (GC)
Gold Coast Receive: Pick 22 (North), Pick 27 (Adel)
Adelaide Receive: Pick 2 (North)

North enter the draft with 4,13,40,58

Last edited:
Its said Draper's forward craft is pretty solid with his pace and skill he'd be a handful when playing forward. Then of course much needed pace n spread when thrown in the middle

He has pretty goal sense. I didn't think he'd be any good across half forward but since he has got his fitness back, his defensive pressure has increased substantially. Could be one that could rotate through the midfield and across half forward where he can use his speed to apply some pressure.

Spoke to a fella who has a bit to do with the Panthers over in SA, and he reckons Draper's midfield capability exceeds that of JHF in the same year. He doesn't quite have the forward craft, but highlights that he probably has more upside than I gave him credit for.

Yeah what a pile of bollox....the supposed purpose of the academies is to get kids from non-traditional backgrounds into the afl system. Heeney for example played Union as a kid.....how in the hell does that apply to blokes like Blakey and now Cochrane.
Blakey slightly different as the history behind Nick joining the Swans was he had the choice to join Brissie or North under FS and also Swans under the northern academy system...and he nominated Swans.

Cochrane, as much as hiss heartfelt sentence of wanting to get his kids into a good academy but not tied to Port Adelaide, it's a load of shite and clearly insuring a clear pathway for his kids to go directly to an AFL side that just happens to be in the same state and, oh, same club that he was employed too...of course Port Adelaide wouldn't have suggested Stewie to do this either!

Last edited:
On a weekend where 40 possession games seemed to become the standard, Lalor's modest 22 touches could get overlooked. He was strong and muscular at the contest all game, standing up in tackles or breaking them with a swivel of his hips. He showed a dash of pace to burst clear of congestion, and laced out a number of passes onto the chest of a leading forward, although the kicking was a little bit of a mixed bag as he did miss a few. He's such a powerful and beautifully balanced athlete that he seems to only just be scratching the surface of his potential.

Yeah what a pile of bollox....the supposed purpose of the academies is to get kids from non-traditional backgrounds into the afl system. Heeney for example played Union as a kid.....how in the hell does that apply to blokes like Blakey and now Cochrane.

The Academies are biggest load of shite in the game at the moment.

He looks great. And if we were to take a midfielder they need to be versatile like him. But does a small upgrade in the midfield (from say Powell to Draper) improve us as much as upgrading our state league quality second and third talls or getting a couple of quality small forwards on our list? We don't have anyone except RHJ at the moment, while the top teams are playing three or four. We keep putting off balancing our list or thinking or trying to do it with a pile of DFA's and MSD picks, it isn't working.
SNT Syndrome...

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

On a weekend where 40 possession games seemed to become the standard, Lalor's modest 22 touches could get overlooked. He was strong and muscular at the contest all game, standing up in tackles or breaking them with a swivel of his hips. He showed a dash of pace to burst clear of congestion, and laced out a number of passes onto the chest of a leading forward, although the kicking was a little bit of a mixed bag as he did miss a few. He's such a powerful and beautifully balanced athlete that he seems to only just be scratching the surface of his potential.

Something special about this kid. Someone is going to get a good one late in the top 10.

Another prolific performance from a Dragons player on the weekend, this time Luke Trainor who found a stack of the footy rebounding out of defense and using his elite running power to get involved in possession chains through the middle of the ground. His disposal was a little mixed at times, but his overhead marking was strong throughout which should help to quell some of the concerns about that part of his game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon Draper might turn out to more than a small upgrade on Powell.

It was probably early i cant remember, but from memory it was the run which you liked and have you've maintained our need for running power since. Has to be 20+ years ago so yeah its not exactly fresh in the memory but i recall you had lots to say about him at the time. That and run, run, run.

He had some toe. And the club hasn't listened to me for 20 years about the run!

I reckon Draper might turn out to more than a small upgrade on Powell.
He could well. But he is unlikely to be as big an upgrade as Toby Pink to Harry Armstrong or nobody to Joe Berry. Always going 'best available' isn't really list management, it's just player ranking. The composition of your list gets determined by little more than where your picks fall and who has already been taken. It's how a club can take three small inside mids in a row.

He could well. But he is unlikely to be as big an upgrade as Toby Pink to Harry Armstrong or nobody to Joe Berry. Always going 'best available' isn't really list management, it's just player ranking. The composition of your list gets determined by little more than where your picks fall and who has already been taken. It's how a club can take three small inside mids in a row.

Not necessarily saying we should take Draper. I don’t mind who we take. We won’t know for a while if we’ve made the right decision anyway.

After half a decade in the doldrums, with the spectre of a wasted rebuild hanging over us, and in the absence of a generational prospect, give me methodical and incremental list improvement over elite players surplus to needs, every single day of the week.

I'm sure there will be more...but I reckon it the academy picks are going to be a mess next year. Gold Coast and Brisbane have a stack of draftable kids in their academy.

Uwland and Ah-Mu shaping as potential top 10 picks.

Zeke Uwland - GC A
Dylan Patterson - GC A
Jai Murray - GC A
Tarion Ah-Mu - Melbourne A
Daniel Annable - Bris A
Raphael Geesu - Bris A
Jack Harrison - Bris A
Basil Hart - Freo A
Ben Rongdit - Geelong A
They’re going to change the nga rules again in a few years

Another prolific performance from a Dragons player on the weekend, this time Luke Trainor who found a stack of the footy rebounding out of defense and using his elite running power to get involved in possession chains through the middle of the ground. His disposal was a little mixed at times, but his overhead marking was strong throughout which should help to quell some of the concerns about that part of his game.

Thanks for the footage! I know it'd be a bit of a reach but I wouldn't be upset if North took Trainor at 2. He seems clean (mostly), very athletic and flexible across multiple positions given his size. How does he compare to a Dan Curtin from last year's draft?

To get Joe Berry we'll need a trade partner and they won't necessarily want to give up that top 15 pick.
Bit of a wait and see as to what teams have what picks. Sounds like there will be some movement in the 1st round.
We also don't know what we will bring in during trade week that might change draft needs.
If we hypothetically pick up one of Konstanty, Rosas or Archie Jones with a future pick then adding River as a rookie might be enough for us and we re-asses in 12 months drafting another small if RHJ doesn't quite develop.
We take Draper/FOS/Smillie/Langford at 2, kpf at 22 and small forward (Alger, Dattoli, Bradley, Depaoli-Kubank, Day Wicks etc.) or another kpd or kpf (Mraz or Nichols) at 40. River if bid on late or mature pick up at 58. Then 1-2 rookies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back