Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for the footage! I know it'd be a bit of a reach but I wouldn't be upset if North took Trainor at 2. He seems clean (mostly), very athletic and flexible across multiple positions given his size. How does he compare to a Dan Curtin from last year's draft?
Some similarities for sure. Both move really well for bigger guys, both excellent kicks, both better below the knees than in the air. Could have similar versatility to Curtin to play other roles in the future.

Some similarities for sure. Both move really well for bigger guys, both excellent kicks, both better below the knees than in the air. Could have similar versatility to Curtin to play other roles in the future.
I predicted this time last year that Dan Curtin would not play as a key defender. Dan Curtin apparently said he preferred to play on-ball. Adelaide is playing him forward. Mark Riciuto says he looks more likely to become a midfielder.

I don't know if this has any parallels with Trainor, other than the fact that if it's a key defender or a key forward that we need most and if we draft for needs, then there are probably better pure key defenders and key forwards than Trainor.

To get Joe Berry we'll need a trade partner and they won't necessarily want to give up that top 15 pick.
Bit of a wait and see as to what teams have what picks. Sounds like there will be some movement in the 1st round.
We also don't know what we will bring in during trade week that might change draft needs.
If we hypothetically pick up one of Konstanty, Rosas or Archie Jones with a future pick then adding River as a rookie might be enough for us and we re-asses in 12 months drafting another small if RHJ doesn't quite develop.
We take Draper/FOS/Smillie/Langford at 2, kpf at 22 and small forward (Alger, Dattoli, Bradley, Depaoli-Kubank, Day Wicks etc.) or another kpd or kpf (Mraz or Nichols) at 40. River if bid on late or mature pick up at 58. Then 1-2 rookies.
I like your trade targets and most of that makes sense except pick 2. Why aren't we using our biggest asset to improve our list as much as possible? Unless they are Harley Reid, taking another mid here doesn't do that.

You have a bbq on this afternoon. You have spent the morning making delicious salads and fruit platters and all you have to do now is pick up the beer and meat. But when you get to the shops you discover mangos have finally come into season and they look amazing. You buy six trays, everyone will love them. You don't have much money left over though. But just enough for a six pack of VB and a packet of bunnings sausages. How good are mangos?

I predicted this time last year that Dan Curtin would not play as a key defender. Dan Curtin apparently said he preferred to play on-ball. Adelaide is playing him forward. Mark Riciuto says he looks more likely to become a midfielder.

I don't know if this has any parallels with Trainor, other than the fact that if it's a key defender or a key forward that we need most and if we draft for needs, then there are probably better pure key defenders and key forwards than Trainor.
In the last clip posted above, he hardly seems like the 1:1 defender we are looking for. He's a running half back flank - which we've got Hardeman, Bergman, Goater & Fisher, not to mention Powell, Slevo, Kerch and Tucker all playing through there.

If we need a genuine KPD, get one. Dont expect a mid-sized running half back to fill those needs.

In the last clip posted above, he hardly seems like the 1:1 defender we are looking for. He's a running half back flank - which we've got Hardeman, Bergman, Goater & Fisher, not to mention Powell, Slevo, Kerch and Tucker all playing through there.

If we need a genuine KPD, get one. Dont expect a mid-sized running half back to fill those needs.
199cm + or GTFO 🤜

I like your trade targets and most of that makes sense except pick 2. Why aren't we using our biggest asset to improve our list as much as possible? Unless they are Harley Reid, taking another mid here doesn't do that.

You have a bbq on this afternoon. You have spent the morning making delicious salads and fruit platters and all you have to do now is pick up the beer and meat. But when you get to the shops you discover mangos have finally come into season and they look amazing. You buy six trays, everyone will love them. You don't have much money left over though. But just enough for a six pack of VB and a packet of bunnings sausages. How good are mangos?
We used a pick 3 on Phillips who cant get a game, Powell a pick 16 or something, Wardlaw pick 4 and LDU pick 4. Its not unusually for a pick 16 mid to find themselves as flankers and that may well happen with Powell. Im more than happy for him to play a Houston role off HB and save the draft capital. He may lack the top end/ bust speed for a mid, but has all the skills to be a weapon off HB.
Then Duursma and Sheezel were both forwards. W.Dawson a key back. Sheezel himself will tell you he isn't quick.

So why more mids? Because theres mids in the top 4 or 5 that offer point of difference.

Draper: Speed, class. Can play forward.

Langford/ Smillie: Big bodied mids

FOS: HB/ Wing. Strong over head, great engine and class.

We need class ball users first and foremost and perhaps a big bodied mid. LDU is our biggest yet should be the first receiver type using his burst to escape. Sheezel has been able to convert simply because he's a gun. Both Sheezel and Powell are quality ball users and have both proven effective off the flanks. Powell with his skills could play that Quarterback role helping us get through congestion, if under siege Sheezel can go back as well - valuable versatility.

Draper brings badly needed speed and pressure to our forward line and would work well in rotations with Sheezel while both being different. Both bring class, Draper the speed and spread while Sheezel brings everything else but. You could even rotate the 3 of them including Wardlaw.

End of the day unless we have class ball users, run, carry and overlap any forwards we get will be starved. To borrow Ross Lyon's word, we need sizzle. Even the most defense minded coach ever knows what win games of footy. They just put Geelong to the sword and not because of their key forwards.

Our second round will land us a quality forward and no denying we need to add one. Im on the Gerreyn train for that to take over Elmo's role. If Elmo really comes on as a forward, then great problems solved. If not we have exactly the type we need. Gerreyn is a 2m beast who can drop em from 55m and will demand attention which is perfect for getting those 2nd defenders away from Larkey. Now we're spreading their defense wider and more quality ball users delivering into the 50. If Draper, the he adds much more forward pressure particularly RHJ continues to improve. If its a slow play and we're facing 75% of all players in our forward line again the size and mass of Gerreyn is ideal.

Then of course we have some chess pieces we can move about such as W.Dawson in and Chom forward.

And then our home ground is the perfect for the big bbq sizzel.

Last edited:
Is Draper a flight risk? He looks unreal
He was on gettable early in the year, and was unequivocal about his ambition to go #1, which even then did not mean Adelaide or Port. He might be a tender age, but he struck me as a complete pro, similar to Sheezel

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why not one tray of mangos (one last elite mid to replace TT), a six pack (kpf), sausages (sml fwd) and some meat (kpd)?
You keep an open-mind to everything that is offered from other clubs. I wouldn't be mad if we slid back a few spots and took Armstrong and another asset. If the club is keen on Armstrong then there's a chance we might have to take him at picks 2-5 (if sliding) if Saints get pick 7 compo for Battle, they might take a kpf after taking a mid at 6. But they could also be thinking they get their Rozee and Butters mid combo. Dees at pick 8(7) another chance to go a kpf.

I would be ok with taking an elite mid one last time because we lost TT and I'm not convinced on the speed and class of Simpkin, Powell and Phillips compared to that of Draper and FOS. FOS can at least be versatile and take a wing spot or maybe starts as a small forward. We may end up bringing in another experienced mid so maybe you reassess what you draft but the club might also be moving on Philips to take FOS/Draper/Smillie/Langford, we'll see what happens.

I don't think our midfield has the class with it's F50 entries (pretty sure we sit 18th for conversion) apart from Sheez/McKercher/Powell and whilst there are some mid-fwd connection issues at play, it's largely missing easy targets out on the lead by miles or even missing free targets on their own inside the F50. That's a talent issue.
We also don't have the speed/running power to put on elite defensive pressure when we lose the clearance.
Again that's just my thoughts. If we decide to go tall I wouldn't be mad about it.

Why not one tray of mangos (one last elite mid to replace TT), a six pack (kpf), sausages (sml fwd) and some meat (kpd)?
You keep an open-mind to everything that is offered from other clubs. I wouldn't be mad if we slid back a few spots and took Armstrong and another asset. If the club is keen on Armstrong then there's a chance we might have to take him at picks 2-5 (if sliding) if Saints get pick 7 compo for Battle, they might take a kpf after taking a mid at 6. But they could also be thinking they get their Rozee and Butters mid combo. Dees at pick 8(7) another chance to go a kpf.

I would be ok with taking an elite mid one last time because we lost TT and I'm not convinced on the speed and class of Simpkin, Powell and Phillips compared to that of Draper and FOS. FOS can at least be versatile and take a wing spot or maybe starts as a small forward. We may end up bringing in another experienced mid so maybe you reassess what you draft but the club might also be moving on Philips to take FOS/Draper/Smillie/Langford, we'll see what happens.

I don't think our midfield has the class with it's F50 entries (pretty sure we sit 18th for conversion) apart from Sheez/McKercher/Powell and whilst there are some mid-fwd connection issues at play, it's largely missing easy targets out on the lead by miles or even missing free targets on their own inside the F50. That's a talent issue.
We also don't have the speed/running power to put on elite defensive pressure when we lose the clearance.
Again that's just my thoughts. If we decide to go tall I wouldn't be mad about it.
The other factor at play is we dont have LDU on a long term contract yet either.

One thing seemingly being overlooked in the Mid vs KP Pick #2 debate, don’t we already have a ‘new’ mid on the list ready to add to the mix next year…Colby. Surely on par with Draper but comes with a bonus 12 months already on the AFL clock.

Weave some magic, shuffle some picks and come away with Armstrong & Berry and call it a night.

One thing seemingly being overlooked in the Mid vs KP Pick #2 debate, don’t we already have a ‘new’ mid on the list ready to add to the mix next year…Colby. Surely on par with Draper but comes with a bonus 12 months already on the AFL clock.

Weave some magic, shuffle some picks and come away with Armstrong & Berry and call it a night.
Not overlooked, most have mentioned Colby will come into the middle in a few years but he'll mostly be on the wing for a few years whilst the builds his strength and fitness. If we draft another mid they have to be versatile.
It's more a commentary on how good will Powell and Phillips be as Simpkin appears to be cooked as a mid and our speed, defensive pressure and ball use hasn't been cutting it through the middle.

Our midfield needs time and time alone.
When LDU is a 150 gamer and the rest have hit 100 games, we will see a vastly different unit to what we have now.

If we can land a senior midfielder, then I reckon we can draft for needs in such an even draft.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Our midfield needs time and time alone.
When LDU is a 150 gamer and the rest have hit 100 games, we will see a vastly different unit to what we have now.

If we can land a senior midfielder, then I reckon we can draft for needs in such an even draft.

Fully understand that there is growth left in the young mids. I don't see enough classy ball use and speed in the mix.
Colby will help no doubt. Anyway it's not really up to us.

Fully understand that there is growth left in the young mids. I don't see enough classy ball use and speed in the mix.
Colby will help no doubt. Anyway it's not really up to us.
I think we have a brilliant mix of midfielders, and all bring a much different skillset.

They need another 50 games, and in the meantime, we need to find them targets, smalls, and defenders to go with them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back