Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

https://archive.md/p2mew

NORTH MELBOURNE

Indicative Draft Order: 2, 22, 40, 58, 64
The Kangaroos have mostly targeted midfielders with their drafting in recent years and now have a strong group of up-and-coming stars in that area of the ground with the likes of George Wardlaw, Harry Sheezel and Colby McKercher. But where they are clearly lacking is in their key position stocks – both forward and defence. North Melbourne did draft one key defender in the 201cm Wil Dawson (pick 22) last year, who they have high hopes for. But there’s a clear lack of support for key forward Nick Larkey, who was drafted back in 2016. The top-end of this year’s draft is dominated by midfielders, but 194cm swingman Luke Trainor and 195cm key forward Harry Armstrong are both widely considered to be top-10 selections and it wouldn’t surprise if North Melbourne grabbed one of them with its first selection. Trainor has Kangaroos links as the grandson of Doug Wade, who kicked 1057 goals across 267 games for Geelong and North Melbourne in the 1960s and 70s. With their second-round pick, the Kangaroos could look to add another key position player like Matt Whitlock, Jack Whitlock, Jobe Shanahan or Jonty Faull.

Thanks Bangers, with that and Souup's thoughts it opens things up for a us a bit.

We can go Draper and GMan

or if we split and get say 6 and 13 we'd be in the ball park for

6 Armstrong/ Trainor
13 Berry/ Hotton / Reid
22 GMan
Would be perfect if we can go a Trainor and a GMAN

Man, I can absolutely see how this is going to play out on draft night. This board will be clamouring for Kayle all night, especially if we split pick 2.

He'll somehow miraculously drop to the 2nd round, then a few picks to 22, right into our hands... And then we'll pick an undersized inside mid instead.
The North Melbourne way

Anyone who thinks we have a completed midfield didn't watch the last two rounds.

Trading pick 2 is cuckoo land stuff for 6 and 13

LDU Wardlaw Sheezel

McKercher Powell Simpkin Phillips

Potentially okay

Best midfielder at pick 2 needs to be taken.

You dont pass up 250-300 elite mids for talls that you can free agent.

End story

Anyone who thinks we have a completed midfield didn't watch the last two rounds.

LDU Wardlaw Sheezel

Potentially okay

End story
lol. Free Agents Talls are falling off trees. We should just pick one up off the ground

Yeah definitely was a fan, but the eye test is only one part of it. The WA U18's comp is the weakest of all the junior comps and the testing data suggests he's dominating because he's just bigger and stronger.

That sort of advantage vanishes at AFL level if you don't have the athleticism or footy IQ to buoy you
Sorry soup, don’t really care if he’s as cluey as a brick. The kid is a monster. He will monster the AFL too and I dont believe those tests reflect anything.. those highlights in the nats was good enough for me

He looked far from out of place Vs SA and VicC
I cant tell you just how much i value you input Souup, but ill have to go alone on this one lol. Id feel like we won the lotto getting him with our second rounder.
The pick up gather, bounce and weighted left foot (non preferred) at 1.15 in the second speaks volumes to me.

ALL ABOARD THE G TRAIN
TOOOOOT TOOOOT

Lets Go Reaction GIF by Top Talent

LDU Wardlaw Sheezel

Potentially okay

End story

Outside of Waite & Logue, we haven't exactly had much luck attracting decent Key Position Free Agents, and free agency has been around a while.

In any given draft & recruitment cycle there is more midfielders available than key position players, so in a draft that seemingly has KP depth why wouldn't you go after some key position players to sure up our structure?

More mids will be available in the first-round next year and the year after that. Drafts with genuine KP depth are fewer and farther between.

For the first three quarters of this game Gerreyn seemed to be waging a one man war against the entire Subiaco team. He dominated the ruck with deft tap work, he followed up at ground level with clean and skillful work by hand and foot, he kicked goals, and most impressively took a variety of strong marks around the ground. Just prior to the 3/4 time siren he copped a heavy knock, lay prone for a while and then had to come off bleeding and visibly groggy. It was extremely surprising to see him back out there in the final term, and he looked a shadow of his former self.

Based on his testing results (and some go home factor), I wouldn't spend anything more than a 3rd rounder on him, if that.

Combine could change that.
I very much respect your opinion Souup; however in this scenario I would much prefer taking someone like him at 199cm with a man build (who once in an AFL system should only be building on that inherent strength) - than a Taylor Goad who may never ever get to AFL level (and who incidentally we took at Pick 20!).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Man, I can absolutely see how this is going to play out on draft night. This board will be clamouring for Kayle all night, especially if we split pick 2.

He'll somehow miraculously drop to the 2nd round, then a few picks to 22, right into our hands... And then we'll pick an undersized inside mid instead.
Or a running half back flanker...

LDU Wardlaw Sheezel

Potentially okay

End story

Getting 6 and 13 could still mean landing someone like Lalor at pick 6, Whitlock/ Shanahan/ Berry at pick 13 and Gerreyn at 20.

I agree that we still need another classy mid as well that compliments the mix we already have and I think Lalor is best fit for us in that sense.

For the first three quarters of this game Gerreyn seemed to be waging a one man war against the entire Subiaco team. He dominated the ruck with deft tap work, he followed up at ground level with clean and skillful work by hand and foot, he kicked goals, and most impressively took a variety of strong marks around the ground. Just prior to the 3/4 time siren he copped a heavy knock, lay prone for a while and then had to come off bleeding and visibly groggy. It was extremely surprising to see him back out there in the final term, and he looked a shadow of his former self.

Seems to move really well for his size

He kicks off both feet better than a lot of our current senior players...

Always sounds good in theory. Overlooking talent for needs is fraught with danger. Take the elite talent while we have a shot at it.

Hopefully we don’t see another top 3 pick for a long time.
Yeah BPA has really helped us shoot up the ladder lol

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

If we do end up going down the route of splitting pick 2 and targeting KPP's.

I really hope we look at adding Kobe Ryan as a rookie. He is still only 20 and the numbers he is putting up as an inside mid in the SANFL are ridiculous. Averaging 25.9 disposals, 0.7 goals per game, 6.6 clearances, 9 tackles and 3.4 marks. He'll go close to winning Magarey Medal this year.

Feel like he is the type of player who will do everything in his power to get the best out of himself.
That's exactly the type of pick up we need for midfield rotations, not another pick 2 to squeeze in somewhere...

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thats our GMan, thanks Noob.

LDU Wardlaw Sheezel

Potentially okay

End story
Drafting as reactively as possible with zero planning for the future apart from elite KPPs flocking to join North via FA. Visionary stuff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back