Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

That's exactly the type of pick up we need for midfield rotations, not another pick 2 to squeeze in somewhere...

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Bring in some good quality meat and potatoes to go with the lobster tail and caviar we have on the midfield smorgasbord.

I very much respect your opinion Souup; however in this scenario I would much prefer taking someone like him at 199cm with a man build (who once in an AFL system should only be building on that inherent strength) - than a Taylor Goad who may never ever get to AFL level (and who incidentally we took at Pick 20!).
Mate you and others are more than welcome to disagree - I've been wrong plenty of times before and in the end, identifying talent is a guessing game.

I imagine we will end 2025 but hopefully not after that.

You are probably right. I’ve said before I reckon we are very similar to the Giants in 2013 which was a bad year for wins (1) but plenty of games into young stars. Even if we mirror their 2014 bounce, that is 6-8 wins, which might still be bottom 3.

In 2015, Carlton’s first 3 picks were,

1. Weitering
10. McKay
12. Curnow

Worked out well for them. It’s time that we do the same. Split pick 2 and take Armstrong with pick 6 and either Jack Whitlock or Gerreyn with pick 13.
Having said that I could see Melbourne taking Armstrong with pick 5 given their lack of key forwards.
If that’s the case I’d then take Lalor with pick 6. Even though he’s a midfielder, he’s a brute and has some mongrel, and it’s very obvious that we lack these sort of players. Lalor has a tonne of upside.
We need to start addressing our lack of key position players and this draft gives us the opportunity to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We're almost guaranteed to be picking in the top 4 next year, there are quality mids at the top of every draft.

We've already got 3 elite, developing midfielders under 20, and LDU.

Reid and JHF were so prolific they were unquestioned #1 picks two years before their drafts, there's no such standout this year. Not even close from what I can tell, and we wouldn't have access this year regardless.

I think the argument for bringing in multiple first round KPP talents this year is valid.

We get another year to understand exactly what we have between Sheezel, McKercher and Wardlaw - before deciding what type of mid will compliment them most favourably going forward.

And we start blooding several elite KPP talents alongside W.Dawson, Comben, Xerri and Larkey.

I want 1 without question, and you could sell me on 3 quite easily... "Kangas go KPP CRAZY at 2024 Draft" works for me.

In 2015, Carlton’s first 3 picks were,

1. Weitering
10. McKay
12. Curnow

Worked out well for them. It’s time that we do the same. Split pick 2 and take Armstrong with pick 6 and either Jack Whitlock or Gerreyn with pick 13.
Having said that I could see Melbourne taking Armstrong with pick 5 given their lack of key forwards.
If that’s the case I’d then take Lalor with pick 6. Even though he’s a midfielder, he’s a brute and has some mongrel, and it’s very obvious that we lack these sort of players. Lalor has a tonne of upside.
We need to start addressing our lack of key position players and this draft gives us the opportunity to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Sweet. Looking forward to 2029 when all these talls are ready to fire and when LDU is 30 years old.

Sweet. Looking forward to 2029 when all these talls are ready to fire and when LDU is 30 years old.
The alternative is having none when our better players are in their prime, where’s the sense in that?.

Do you expect some A grade key forward to pick North as a home in the coming years? lol. We’ve neglected the spine for too long, there’s some really quality options to fast track that this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any info on the only Western Jet in there, Lucca Grego ? i haven't seen that name around much

Hard nosed midfielder/utility and the western nets captain. Only started playing AFL when he was 15 as he was in rugby league pathways. Been the Jets most consistent player this year playing a variety of roles. Didn’t have a huge impact at the championships for the Metro but showed his accountability and defensive capacity playing across half back.

Real workmanlike who is a genuine utility. Perfect role player to take with a pick later on in the draft.

LDU will be 30, larkey will be gone alongside potentially Xerri and a few others.
This is the reason why I've been such an advocate for drafting from the state leagues
Larkey won't be gone. Way he plays, he could go till 35. Can't lose pace and contested marking ability if you barely had any in the first place 😎

Thanks, looks pretty good considering his extra weight to the others. Im a bit surprised with the vertical, to the eye he's a good as any. His around the ground ruck work he seems to drive up with the tree trunk legs moving the oppo off the ball, so not a big deal there.
But anyway his 20m looks good and would take some serious stopping on the lead and is an elite kick imo. He'll kill people filling the hole in front.
Just imagine a couple of pre-seasons under Clarko if we got either Harry or Kayle, if like X lotto we were able to get both of them, good grief, I think you might hear me from your lounge rooms. Kayle would be a chiselled bronze Adonis, and more than a few opposition supporters would be losing it like; "how come we can never take the gun player when he's right in front of us, no our recruiting team always plays it bloody safe, it sh*ts me to tears"!

Am I joking? Well maybe a little bit but with his potential, if he gets anywhere near his ceiling, its goodnight nurse, now I could be very wrong about Kayle and Harry, but I guess we'll just have to see, Jack Whitlock whilst my 3rd key forward, can be very good with his upside but I'm sure there's some recruiters out there that see what I've seen with these two and I hope Will Thursfield is one of them!

I'm not sure why we wouldn't consider taking Gerryen with pick 2 even if we don't split? He won't be there at our second round selection.

We have taken mids for how many of the past drafts? And still the biggest hole in our list is a big bodied KPF who is agile and can crash packs - which this guy does for fun - plus he can relieve Xerri in the ruck very competently.

I would also see this guy as a much better prospect than Logan McDonald who went pick 3 a few years back...
Kayle Gerreyn has more potential than the generational forward and its not even a contest. I know the journalists kept saying a "couple of recruiters" when this happened and I thought straight away there not serious but kept running with it, that's if these two recruiters really did exist. If Kayle is prepared to learn and I believe he is then he is going to be with Harry the draft that produced Batman & Robin!

Man, I can absolutely see how this is going to play out on draft night. This board will be clamouring for Kayle all night, especially if we split pick 2.

He'll somehow miraculously drop to the 2nd round, then a few picks to 22, right into our hands... And then we'll pick an undersized inside mid instead.
Ha ha ha, you know that would be funny, but I think we'll pick up our key forward in the first or second round.

We need a Luke Trainor. For the last 7 drafts we have chosen midfielders and it has worked out well but we need a key defender and an interceptor. We saw the damage of how Comben’s injury destroyed us against the Dogs. We can’t make another mistake. Would like a Harvey Langford, but a Armstrong or a Trainor would be way more useful
Hello RetroNMFC22, we got a key defender in last years draft, Wil Dawson, we need a key forward and we are going to get one, its just a matter of where in the order, next on the list is another small forward, now whether that's in the trade or draft lets wait and see but I know we have been looking at a few small forwards so by the looks of it like our key forward situation, this year!

Anyone who thinks we have a completed midfield didn't watch the last two rounds.

Trading pick 2 is cuckoo land stuff for 6 and 13

LDU Wardlaw Sheezel

McKercher Powell Simpkin Phillips

Potentially okay

Best midfielder at pick 2 needs to be taken.

You dont pass up 250-300 elite mids for talls that you can free agent.

End story
You do have a point choppy, but you must also look at the other picture, why keep getting elite mids only to then say but wait we can pick the 4th/ 5th best key forward or what some people have been saying for the last four or five years nah, we can always get one in the trade/ free agency period, how's that worked out?

Actually we can't, well not yet anyway, that's the sole reason we are getting our key forward in this years draft and Will Thursfield will pick the best talented key forward, in my opinion, we are not going in half baked here, we are hoping to assemble a team that is not only going to be feared but envied for quite a while and you don't do that by picking only the best in one position on the ground. Strap yourself in choppy, this years draft is I think going to be something "SPECIAL".

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back