Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Setting yourself up for tears getting too attached pre draft.
Junk yard that is very true! Though its quite hard sometimes when you follow the draft and you see two or three players that not only would they fit in your team but they are very good players as well, and they go to opposition clubs and what's worse, clubs that you can't stand, yes come draft night there are going to be some people who might just be lost for words as well as disappointed.

Last edited:
Sweet. Looking forward to 2029 when all these talls are ready to fire and when LDU is 30 years old.
There's not much of an alternative unfortunately. There isn't really any quality key position players on the market for us to trade for or get in FA this year that would want to join. We've added league players in Pink, Teakle and Maley.

Some drafted can come on quick. Sam Darcy is looking pretty good in year 3 for a young key position prospect.

Junk yard that is very true! Though its quite hard sometimes when you follow the draft and you see two or three players that not only would they fit in your team but they are very good players as well, and they go to opposition clubs and what's worse, clubs that you can't stand, yes come draft night there are going to be some people who might just be lost for words as well as disappointed.
I think the difference here with GMan is he appears to be rated lower than our second rounder (available to us), suits our needs (fwd/ruck) and has crazy upside. Theres really no reason he wouldn't be of high priority to us, more so than other clubs.

Sweet. Looking forward to 2029 when all these talls are ready to fire and when LDU is 30 years old.

Always need to have one eye on the future or you’ll get left behind. Time to bring in some quality talls that can develop together.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Makes you wonder why anyone would want to trade up….🤔
There are other factors in play, which helps.

1. Tiges starting their list build, with pick 1.

2. GC needing to get ahead of any potential bids

3. Our need (with pick 2) to start our long run into KPP.

4. Freo, who are decent, having a bevy of R1 selections after cutting some decentish types last year.

5. Scandalous scenario's throughout season 2025, where good teams are just missing out on Top 8 positions and may feel they are closer to a flag than they really are!

6. Top 8 being pretty shit and oldish.

All these scenarios help us a bit.

There are other factors in play, which helps.

1. Tiges starting their list build, with pick 1.

2. GC needing to get ahead of any potential bids

3. Our need (with pick 2) to start our long run into KPP.

4. Freo, who are decent, having a bevy of R1 selections after cutting some decentish types last year.

5. Scandalous scenario's throughout season 2025, where good teams are just missing out on Top 8 positions and may feel they are closer to a flag than they really are!

6. Top 8 being pretty shit and oldish.

All these scenarios help us a bit.
And of course, Richmond’s midfield is bereft of young elite talent.

Just imagine a couple of pre-seasons under Clarko if we got either Harry or Kayle, if like X lotto we were able to get both of them, good grief, I think you might hear me from your lounge rooms. Kayle would be a chiselled bronze Adonis, and more than a few opposition supporters would be losing it like; "how come we can never take the gun player when he's right in front of us, no our recruiting team always plays it bloody safe, it sh*ts me to tears"!

Am I joking? Well maybe a little bit but with his potential, if he gets anywhere near his ceiling, its goodnight nurse, now I could be very wrong about Kayle and Harry, but I guess we'll just have to see, Jack Whitlock whilst my 3rd key forward, can be very good with his upside but I'm sure there's some recruiters out there that see what I've seen with these two and I hope Will Thursfield is one of them!
Get them onto the Malthouse/weagles body transformation in one preseason and they’ll be ready to go

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard nosed midfielder/utility and the western nets captain. Only started playing AFL when he was 15 as he was in rugby league pathways. Been the Jets most consistent player this year playing a variety of roles. Didn’t have a huge impact at the championships for the Metro but showed his accountability and defensive capacity playing across half back.

Real workmanlike who is a genuine utility. Perfect role player to take with a pick later on in the draft.
We seem to have a pretty good strike rate drafting Western Jet's, Tristan Xerri, Paul Curtis, and Eddie Ford

Hard nosed midfielder/utility and the western nets captain. Only started playing AFL when he was 15 as he was in rugby league pathways. Been the Jets most consistent player this year playing a variety of roles. Didn’t have a huge impact at the championships for the Metro but showed his accountability and defensive capacity playing across half back.

Real workmanlike who is a genuine utility. Perfect role player to take with a pick later on in the draft.
i really like Grego,impressed me in the that last state game against vic country,played for williamstown against our vfl team late in the season so hopefully we can pick him up,is very strong and has dash

Him and Ivisic have an uncanny knack of always being near the ball whether in defensive or int he middle, when needed and roos mention, didn't have huge impacts but l felt they just did their roles - solid role player IMO.

A different type of game this week from Jack who ended up spending a lot more time in the ruck than he typically does. He's an unconventionally effective ruckman at this level, not often able to get hit outs to advantage, but frequently able to use his physicality to push out his opponent and take direct possession of the footy, or follow up post tap with strong ground level efforts. Like most other players last weekend he struggled with his kicking effectiveness in the gale force winds, but showed some excellent judgement of the footy in flight to take a number of high degree of difficulty marks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back